IT Certifications?

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

professormessor.com is a really good source for videos on NET+ and A+

I am currently studying for CCNA hope to take it by the end of this month

Is this for your job or do You have a job lined up?

i work for the government now, been slacking....CCNA has been tough for me to study because of the lack of experience with commands.  In theory I am ready, but the commands is whats getting me!  I am in no rush to take the exam since it cost 250 so I want to take it when I am 100 percent sure.
They have online sims with switches and routers you can use. I'll ask dude at work tomorrow. I'm in the military and been doing this for about 8 years and like everybody else in here said experience is king. CCNA is a good cert to get though. They sent us to get SEC+ and NET+ which was a huge waste of time, i passed both but i just watched bug fight videos on youtube the entire time lol. 

Originally Posted by bamaboy256

i work for the government now, been slacking....CCNA has been tough for me to study because of the lack of experience with commands.  In theory I am ready, but the commands is whats getting me!  I am in no rush to take the exam since it cost 250 so I want to take it when I am 100 percent sure.
They have online sims with switches and routers you can use. I'll ask dude at work tomorrow. I'm in the military and been doing this for about 8 years and like everybody else in here said experience is king. CCNA is a good cert to get though. They sent us to get SEC+ and NET+ which was a huge waste of time, i passed both but i just watched bug fight videos on youtube the entire time lol. 
Yeah, Comptia certs are a big waste of time if you're trying to learn, but jobs still require them.
eyes.gif

I STILL can't memorize the 7 layer osi model
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by bamaboy256

Yeah, Comptia certs are a big waste of time if you're trying to learn, but jobs still require them.
eyes.gif

I STILL can't memorize the 7 layer osi model
30t6p3b.gif

Well i'm super late on this, but I just graduated this past May with a BS degree in financial econ and I want to go into consulting --> business analyst --> project management like someone else posted earlier in the thread. I went to a magnet HS and had gotten a certificate in Data Communications, with the senior year practicum involving an internship and senior project presenting what we did at the internship (just make sure the building's network ran smooth and troubleshoot hardware/software issues blah blah). Other than that I have NO actual experience working in IT. I'm going to start studying for A+, Net+ and Security+ certs and then go for the CCNA. Working on getting my foot in the door for an entry-level consulting position so I can work my way up and learn more along the way. Hoping my degree and my 6 years of working in pharmacy (yea completely diff fields lol) will count for something as far as showing employer I'm a worker. Lots of good info in this thread, much appreciated. Wish I would have decided to do this when I graduated, the annual renewing is going to suck.

Well i'm super late on this, but I just graduated this past May with a BS degree in financial econ and I want to go into consulting --> business analyst --> project management like someone else posted earlier in the thread. I went to a magnet HS and had gotten a certificate in Data Communications, with the senior year practicum involving an internship and senior project presenting what we did at the internship (just make sure the building's network ran smooth and troubleshoot hardware/software issues blah blah). Other than that I have NO actual experience working in IT. I'm going to start studying for A+, Net+ and Security+ certs and then go for the CCNA. Working on getting my foot in the door for an entry-level consulting position so I can work my way up and learn more along the way. Hoping my degree and my 6 years of working in pharmacy (yea completely diff fields lol) will count for something as far as showing employer I'm a worker. Lots of good info in this thread, much appreciated. Wish I would have decided to do this when I graduated, the annual renewing is going to suck.

Got my Security + Exam tomorrow... wish me luck.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PASSED IT 
pimp.gif
 This with a security clearance equals going back to 6 figs again.

Got my Security + Exam tomorrow... wish me luck.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PASSED IT 
pimp.gif
 This with a security clearance equals going back to 6 figs again.

Welp, earlier in the thread I said I'll be taking an A+ class in January. I pushed the class to mid-March.

Any advice? Any thing I should look for?
nerd.gif
Kinda nervous about the class and finding entry level work afterwards

Welp, earlier in the thread I said I'll be taking an A+ class in January. I pushed the class to mid-March.

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by neukicks

I am in no way shape or form downing a college degree, or certs. They are both VERY important, a college degree is what separates the "men" from the "boys". I call myself a boy because I don't have that college degree, but am currently perusing one. In the IT world, it isn't about "what you know, but who you know." Though I say what you know very loosely, because you have to know A LOT to get anything done in the IT world. I have been doing IT work going on 6 years now. I studied bits and pieces of it when I first went to school, but had to drop out and do rehab because of an accident. 
Experience is what separates the "men" from the "boys"..not a piece of paper.

So true, I had friend straight out of HS do a little entry level job at Kaiser, now he makes close to like 70-80K for there IT dept, I been in the field for like 15yrs with an AA but im more on the hardware side, worked for IBM's POS division, Semiconductor work, traveling the US and now maintaining banking equipment , dispensers and recyclers (not atm's), experience and who you know is the key in this field...networking

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by neukicks

I am in no way shape or form downing a college degree, or certs. They are both VERY important, a college degree is what separates the "men" from the "boys". I call myself a boy because I don't have that college degree, but am currently perusing one. In the IT world, it isn't about "what you know, but who you know." Though I say what you know very loosely, because you have to know A LOT to get anything done in the IT world. I have been doing IT work going on 6 years now. I studied bits and pieces of it when I first went to school, but had to drop out and do rehab because of an accident. 
Experience is what separates the "men" from the "boys"..not a piece of paper.

So true, I had friend straight out of HS do a little entry level job at Kaiser, now he makes close to like 70-80K for there IT dept, I been in the field for like 15yrs with an AA but im more on the hardware side, worked for IBM's POS division, Semiconductor work, traveling the US and now maintaining banking equipment , dispensers and recyclers (not atm's), experience and who you know is the key in this field...networking

just passed my CCNA exam, preparing for CCNP
pimp.gif

for all those who are taking networking courses...yall might as well check out IPV6

just passed my CCNA exam, preparing for CCNP
pimp.gif

for all those who are taking networking courses...yall might as well check out IPV6

^Thanks, but the majority of these discount voucher sites seem mad sketchy
laugh.gif
Went with a more reliable source (totalsem.com) and bought it there for a comparable price.

A lot of great information in this thread. Thanks everyone
pimp.gif

^Thanks, but the majority of these discount voucher sites seem mad sketchy
laugh.gif
Went with a more reliable source (totalsem.com) and bought it there for a comparable price.

A lot of great information in this thread. Thanks everyone
pimp.gif

I have to get Windows 7 administrative support, or something like that. I forget the exact name, downloaded a test engine for it though. It's a lot of people here on base that have to have it going down there and maxing the test off of it. I need it since our contract is up this month and it'll be hard to impossible to get rehired without despite me having tons of recommendations I didn't even know of. I can get like a 20k raise just for that test, going into the next contract

I have to get Windows 7 administrative support, or something like that. I forget the exact name, downloaded a test engine for it though. It's a lot of people here on base that have to have it going down there and maxing the test off of it. I need it since our contract is up this month and it'll be hard to impossible to get rehired without despite me having tons of recommendations I didn't even know of. I can get like a 20k raise just for that test, going into the next contract

Originally Posted by krazy88s

nerd.gif
Don't waste your time getting the A+. Start off with network and security.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

nerd.gif
Don't waste your time getting the A+. Start off with network and security.

Back
Top Bottom