J. Cole is insanely boring

smh.gif

im done in here.

Originally Posted by LiquidCREAM

Originally Posted by FlatbushFiyah23

I am not surprised someone on NT of all places would call J. Cole boring. If you think J. Cole is boring then you must not like lyrics but ahhh yes this is NT where lyrics don't mean much in rap nowadays. SMH.

I love lyrics
this @*$%% don't got any charisma whatsoever tho
See this is just plain silly.  You don't like dude because you don't think he has charisma which I disagree with but that is neither here nor ther.. 

I love lyrics and I love GOOD MUSIC. Good music in hip hop is good lyrics over good production which J.Cole provides.  If you are looking at an artists charisma when judging good music you clearly don't know what good music and you already lost.
not at all
if you can't keep your listeners engaged through a mixtape, not even an album, that's an issue with your charisma
it's plenty of rappers with good lyrics over good production sequestered in the underground because they lack the charisma to keep the listener engaged in the music
Nah the issue is just simply your ear for good music.  Charisma is only a factor in appealing the masses who mainly listened to watered down trash.  Charisma is major factor in sales/appeal to the radio audience not in the production of good music.  But then again this is NT so I am not surprised at the lack of good music appreciation on here.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I am not surprised someone on NT of all places would call J. Cole boring. If you think J. Cole is boring then you must not like lyrics but ahhh yes this is NT where lyrics don't mean much in rap nowadays. SMH.

I love lyrics
this @*$%% don't got any charisma whatsoever tho
See this is just plain silly.  You don't like dude because you don't think he has charisma which I disagree with but that is neither here nor ther.. 

I love lyrics and I love GOOD MUSIC. Good music in hip hop is good lyrics over good production which J.Cole provides.  If you are looking at an artists charisma when judging good music you clearly don't know what good music and you already lost.
the only thing silly here is you're reasoing.
laugh.gif
@ "reasoing." The irony is that you haven't used any reasoning at all in judging music which has led to your poor taste.  SMH.

Originally Posted by IKnowRap

I rocks with J. Cole and props to ery1 backing him up on the not being boring tip

the thing is tho J. Cole has to give us the answer to this question: What does J. Cole rap about????

Ive got all his material and I honestly cudnt give you a concrete answer...... he just needs a DEFINED PLATFORM thats all, we all know what he is not, but we dont know what he is

u try explaining to one of ur boys in short what he is about and u just will find yaself saying "man he raw, man he can spit...just listen to him just listen" or "he is kinda a Nas type cat ya know..."

ppl dont have the patience to listen to a whole mixtape and get a good feel for who he is....and if u just pointing out certain songs all they will get is that he can rap, HE HAS TO CHANGE THIS.
See I can rock with you critiquing and giving examples of your feelings and I respect that rather than just saying dude is "boring" with no basis or explanation like some have done in this thread.

However, to answer your question about what J. Cole is or raps about I would say he raps about his life and his experiences like most other rappers.  Ie. making it out of Fayetville, college experience, bragging about his lyrical superiority,while also talking about the ills of the world on tracks like Lights, Please, World is Empty or Losing My Balance. IMO he is a very versatile rapper that touches many subjects which is a strength for any artists. 

I am not saying that you are saying this but I don't think he needs to be defined by one idea or subject matter.  He should just simple be viewed as a good or bad artist.

I rocks with J. Cole and props to ery1 backing him up on the not being boring tip

the thing is tho J. Cole has to give us the answer to this question: What does J. Cole rap about????

Ive got all his material and I honestly cudnt give you a concrete answer...... he just needs a DEFINED PLATFORM thats all, we all know what he is not, but we dont know what he is

u try explaining to one of ur boys in short what he is about and u just will find yaself saying "man he raw, man he can spit...just listen to him just listen" or "he is kinda a Nas type cat ya know..."

ppl dont have the patience to listen to a whole mixtape and get a good feel for who he is....and if u just pointing out certain songs all they will get is that he can rap, HE HAS TO CHANGE THIS.
See I can rock with you critiquing and giving examples of your feelings and I respect that rather than just saying dude is "boring" with no basis or explanation like some have done in this thread.

However, to answer your question about what J. Cole is or raps about I would say he raps about his life and his experiences like most other rappers.  Ie. making it out of Fayetville, college experience, bragging about his lyrical superiority,while also talking about the ills of the world on tracks like Lights, Please, World is Empty or Losing My Balance. IMO he is a very versatile rapper that touches many subjects which is a strength for any artists. 

I am not saying that you are saying this but I don't think he needs to be defined by one idea or subject matter.  He should just simple be viewed as a good or bad artist.
I didnt mean it that literal but u See thats just it...we know what he raps about cuz we are his fans and have gone through his material song for song n like u just did...we put all that stuff together and know whats his deal but we should just be able to sum up where he stands in a simpler way

i mean hes not a backpacker, drug dealer, pimp, thug, playboy, etc. etc....hes just everything u just described...i feel like he needs something, not necessarily a label but that one thing to say boooom...thats J. Cole in a nutshell....n thats strictly to draw in a diff type of crowd "the pop audience"

I mean lupe isnt defined by one subject matter but he is a lyricist and thats a fitting title....

for as us that is just looking for real hip hop hes in a good space tho

I didnt mean it that literal but u See thats just it...we know what he raps about cuz we are his fans and have gone through his material song for song n like u just did...we put all that stuff together and know whats his deal but we should just be able to sum up where he stands in a simpler way

i mean hes not a backpacker, drug dealer, pimp, thug, playboy, etc. etc....hes just everything u just described...i feel like he needs something, not necessarily a label but that one thing to say boooom...thats J. Cole in a nutshell....n thats strictly to draw in a diff type of crowd "the pop audience"

I mean lupe isnt defined by one subject matter but he is a lyricist and thats a fitting title....

for as us that is just looking for real hip hop hes in a good space tho
I totally hear what you are saying and good points for sure.

But to be honest I seriously don't care if he draws in the pop audience although I to agree from a labels perspective that is the challenge for him right now.  Currently I feel like he makes good music and just hopes that he continues to do so. You seem to be a fan but yet fair and objective but do you honestly care if he draws in the pop crowd? Just curious.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

If dudes can't put a finger on what J. Cole is rappin' about then they aren't really listening.
Thats exactly what I was tryin to say and what u said about him bein 15 yrs late is exactly his problem and why he won't blow. Thats why Drake has it easy cause he's not as lyrically as J.Cole and he's got catchy hooks where as J.Cole couldn't make a good hook if his life depended on it. But to say dude is insanely boring is just ridiculous.

I'm actually getting !#@@@@ annoyed of Drake right now. People are either talking bout him, he's either on TV, magazines or the Radio, dude is not THAT good.
smh.gif
One thing I'll admit is he is a dope songwriter, I'd perfer him to be an R&B artist den a rapper...thats just my opinion. I didn't wnana go in the Drake thread and say this cause dudes in there would attempt to find where I live and try and hurt my family
smh.gif

Originally Posted by EightysBaby

If dudes can't put a finger on what J. Cole is rappin' about then they aren't really listening.
Thats exactly what I was tryin to say and what u said about him bein 15 yrs late is exactly his problem and why he won't blow. Thats why Drake has it easy cause he's not as lyrically as J.Cole and he's got catchy hooks where as J.Cole couldn't make a good hook if his life depended on it. But to say dude is insanely boring is just ridiculous.

I'm actually getting !#@@@@ annoyed of Drake right now. People are either talking bout him, he's either on TV, magazines or the Radio, dude is not THAT good.
smh.gif
One thing I'll admit is he is a dope songwriter, I'd perfer him to be an R&B artist den a rapper...thats just my opinion. I didn't wnana go in the Drake thread and say this cause dudes in there would attempt to find where I live and try and hurt my family
smh.gif
dope songs > dope lyrics...

and havin weak hooks and lackluster beats would make ur music boring... its really not that hard to understand...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

smh.gif
smh.gif

and havin weak hooks and lackluster beats would make ur music boring... its really not that hard to understand...
That's why he'd be a better R&B artist den Rapper.

If someone would break J.Coles heart and tell him he can't write hooks for !#+# den maybe he'd have a chance
laugh.gif

But I don't think J.Cole is boring and the dude that made this thread that said J.Cole is boring doesnt know anything bout music and his fav rapper is Waka Flocka.

ill change up what i said to make it fit better...

j cole isnt boring... his music is...

im pretty i could stomach hearing him rap with no beat/hook or some +%@% like that way before ill ever listen to the warm up again...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

smh.gif
smh.gif

Preach!

Ayo OP!

I'ma go out on a limb.... and say....

Whoever you listen to on the reg.... Half of them, are NOT seein' J.Cole lyrically....

The boy is THAT ILL!

I like J Cole....at the end of the day though. Ill listen to Vado all day over dude.

Boring is one of the last words I'll associate w/ J. Cole. The very first time I heard dude (on Wale's Back the the Feature), I asked myself, why does this dude sound so hungry.

...His content may be rather questionable, because he actually graduated from College. lol, he obviously hasn't done any trappin, or killing in his music, so his appeal only goes so far, dude doesn't even rap about weed.

...Its all opinion at the end of the day, and its very much understandable if someone's lyrics are weak, flow is weak, or they're truly boring, but its really hard to formulate an argument if none of these things stick. He is one of the talented individuals from a lyrical perspective among XXL 2010 class.

Originally Posted by Jiggaman414

Originally Posted by rocyaice

Originally Posted by illfrozn

In regards to your opinion on J.Cole I agree somewhat. He's gonna be a hit or a miss. He's just like Wale IMO. I could see Wale blowing up but I can also see him staying in the lane he's in right now. J. Cole's popularity is gonna depend on what type of music he makes. He can rap. But is he gonna give us that laid back feel good music or something that can get play in clubs? I think he's capable of doing both. Will he do it is the question.

Wale got Lady Gaga on a track and still didn't blow up. if he aint gonna blow up with a track featuring the probably hottest artist in music, then when will it happen? that's just inexcusable
laugh.gif
. I'm not hatin though, Wale's album was 
pimp.gif
Naw you can't force something on the public. It might've been Luger who said it but he's right. It came off forced. And at the time Lady Gaga wasn't this monster force she is now. The track just didn't work. From the Cool and Dre beat(one of their weaker ones), to the corny played out "Nah, Nah, Nah" and to the forced feature of Lady Gaga? It was a bad move by Interscope. I don't blame Wale for that. That's why I say he can still blow. I think he's finally starting to catch on to consumers. I thought the song that should've got the push was Let It Loose. I could see that song having a impact on the charts.

Originally Posted by Sid Lugar

Originally Posted by MoneyMike703

another reason why discussing music here is a waste of time
If everyone agreed about the same thing then there would be no reason to discuss music
eyes.gif
Yeadudes trip me out with that. Guys want everyone to d-ride the same $@+.All agree on the same $@+. Talking about its the downfall of the Musicforum.
laugh.gif
Really? Disagreeing with a popular opinion is why the musicforum is going in a downward spiral? Please.

If everyone agreed about the same thing then there would be no reason to discuss music
eyes.gif
idc, some of these dudes are down with gucci & waka flocka, but there saying j.cole is boring, REALLY?
indifferent.gif
yeah okay

That "It" factor he's missing you guys are talking about is a gimmick. That's what he's missing. He just your average dude these days that aint enough. You gotta pretend to be something to get that attention. You gotta remove that substance, and dumb down your !!*+. He gonna realize that sooner or later and maybe then he'll switch up and sound like everyone else on the radio to cater more to you guys, or he'll keep making good music. The masses don't want intelligence or any depth to music anymore they want that !!*+ that bump word to gucci, the #%**@@% want that soft !!*+ word to drake, and duke aint into either of that. Drake aint blow til he dumbed it down and started singing, and I mean the truth is even if dude take that mainstream approach he gonna sound like everyone else and people aint gonna see a reason to buy his !!*+ apart from everyone else's. He got the talent and if he's willing he'll break through, this aint 2000 though so that !!*+ aint gonna mean much at the end of the day. Like snoop said though "If it aint hot it don't mean !!*+" *shrugs*

If you just listen to top 40 hip-hop you most likely will not like J. Cole's style. He's featured on songs with Mos Def, Kweli , Wale, and Jay Electronica.. etc. If you don't like their music then there is a high chance you wont like J. Cole. You might find him boring and too lyrical. He doesn't rap about the "norm" nor is his music club bangers. He mostly raps about motivation. It's more like nod your head and put your hand-up type music. I think his beats actually fit his style... I love his flow, punchlines, and that he actually rhymes. I don't find him boring at all..I mean he did get signed by Jay.

Originally Posted by Wade187

That "It" factor he's missing you guys are talking about is a gimmick. That's what he's missing. He just your average dude these days that aint enough. You gotta pretend to be something to get that attention. You gotta remove that substance, and dumb down your !!*+. He gonna realize that sooner or later and maybe then he'll switch up and sound like everyone else on the radio to cater more to you guys, or he'll keep making good music. The masses don't want intelligence or any depth to music anymore they want that !!*+ that bump word to gucci, the #%**@@% want that soft !!*+ word to drake, and duke aint into either of that. Drake aint blow til he dumbed it down and started singing, and I mean the truth is even if dude take that mainstream approach he gonna sound like everyone else and people aint gonna see a reason to buy his !!*+ apart from everyone else's. He got the talent and if he's willing he'll break through, this aint 2000 though so that !!*+ aint gonna mean much at the end of the day. Like snoop said though "If it aint hot it don't mean !!*+" *shrugs*
Preach!!

And DJ AAAye good points as well.

i like lupe and j cole is boring so keep that "lyrics bore u" and "u listen to gucci" $%@% outta here

IDC what anyone says.. off of his few mixtapes alone... J. Cole has become one of my favorite rappers. The sky is the limit for him.

eyes.gif
idc, some of these dudes are down with gucci & waka flocka, but there saying j.cole is boring, REALLY?
indifferent.gif
yeah okay
But Wacka and Gucci are more entertaining than J.Cole. I don't understand why you dudes so hurt. The popular opinion in this thread is that J.Cole is nice. Every one agrees on that front. He doesn't lack talent. You guys are getting confused at what the OP was getting it. We're speaking strictly on his song making ability and his songs lack energy. I can appreciate dude and who he is. I relate more to J.Cole than Gucci Mane. But Gucci is more entertaining at this point of their careers.And I know you dudes go to move when you don't have anything to back your opinion up is "You're a hater" but that's not me. I F with J.Coles music. I'm gonna check his album out. But his songs need more energy in them. I need to feel what dude is saying. I sort of feel like he's talking to me rather than AT me.

Back
Top Bottom