J.D. Salinger has died (1919-2010)

airmaxpenny1 wrote:
Very weird dude...Connery's character is Finding Forrester is very loosely based on him.

Dude was kind of like Chapelle of his time in a way. Dropped one of the most important books of all-time, and was disgusted by the attention that came with it, so just moved away from society.

RIP though.

Bingo

I immediately thought of this when I read about J.D. Salinger. I wonder if his daughter will publish his maunscripts. He supposedly has tons of writings that he's been doing for year, but never wanted published.

He supposedly had this filling system where if it was marked in red then he wanted it published "as is" and blue, meaning publish but first edit. Hope they release them.

No joke. Sad to say but the next in line is Dennis Hopper. Dude is onhis death bed from cancer and he is still trying to divorce his 4thwife.

Dennis-Hopper.jpg

Jack Bauer already killed him in Season 1 of 24. Whaddaya mean?

Howard Zinn died yesterday. Surprised I didn't see a post for that. I never read Catcher in the Rye. What makes it so great?

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

airmaxpenny1 wrote:
Very weird dude...Connery's character is Finding Forrester is very loosely based on him.

Dude was kind of like Chapelle of his time in a way. Dropped one of the most important books of all-time, and was disgusted by the attention that came with it, so just moved away from society.

RIP though.

Bingo

I immediately thought of this when I read about J.D. Salinger. I wonder if his daughter will publish his maunscripts. He supposedly has tons of writings that he's been doing for year, but never wanted published.

He supposedly had this filling system where if it was marked in red then he wanted it published "as is" and blue, meaning publish but first edit. Hope they release them.

I secretly want to be like this.  Drop a huge book or two then move off to a villa in Sicily and grow my beard real long, sitting in front of a typewriter, or plowing a basil field.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by triple5sole

everyone is dying
frown.gif
You're kidding right?  The man was 91 years old, this wasn't anything sudden.

Like many people, I didn't realize he was still alive, R.I.P. I loved his work.
I think that's what he was getting at.  As we get older, a lot of figures from the generations before us continue to pass, not a mystery to anyone but it often seems surreal.

Making a quick return to general to post in here. RIP to Salinger who wrote the greatest book I have ever read. No book besides 1984 perhaps has influenced me more, and there is no literary character equal to Caulfield. While he has been gone for a while, now that it is official it just depresses me. I usually have a copy of Catcher with me on any trip, I could read it over and over

I read this book my 10th grade year and had to do a report on it.

R.I.P J.D. Salinger

Originally Posted by 13saldana13

Catcher in the Rye is one of the best books of all time. Nine Stories is also classic. Banafish is genius. Franny and Zooey is sitting somewhere in my house waiting to be read, I can't wait.

RIP Salinger
catcher in the rye may be a bit overrated but i still really like it. nine stories is great too. i havn't read the others you listed. i'm pretty shocked about this for some reason. Hopefully dude had been writing while he was in his reclusive state. maybe we will get decades worth of new books?

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

What makes it so great?

Captures the agnst of adolesence better than anything else I have ever read.  Just the confusion of trying to figure out your identity and where you fit in that comes with the age.

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

This thread is such a phony....

j/k.

RIP Salinger, definitely enjoyed Catcher In The Rye one of my favorite books of all time...
pimp.gif
Haha, I used to say that word all the time after reading the book.
RIP to a great author.

Back
Top Bottom