Jay-Z Or Nas? Vol. Complex

Assuming the common belief was that Jay and Nas were exactly equal in terms of songs, albums, long term relevance, impact on music, etc.......the mere fact that Jay is an incredible live performer and Nas is absolute trash, I don't see how anyone could say that Nas > Jay.

I think Jay is slightly ahead of Nas in all those categories I listed, and when you couple that with the fact that Jay is great live and Nas sucks, this really isnt a debate for me.

Jay > Nas

(And I am a Nas fan.)

Last edited:
Takeover is a much better track no troll.

Kanye produced.
Doors sample.

More serious of a track.

Takeover is a much better track no troll.

Kanye produced.
Doors sample.

More serious of a track.
Im the most objective/ open minded Nas stan there is 

The ether beat was terrible

The reason why Jay took that L IMO is he tried to be smooth and finesse like he always is in an arena where fans want blood

Sure the beat is far better, no body gives a ****. Nas is such a supreme lyricist that his terrible beat selection is not as obvious as it should be at times

Jay gave him what 1/1.5 verses in which he spit one real fact i can remember being the searchlight ish oh and the sub at his baby moms

Jay tried to come through wit a silencer pistol and Nas came through with a chopper from close range

Im the most objective/ open minded Nas stan there is 

The ether beat was terrible

The reason why Jay took that L IMO is he tried to be smooth and finesse like he always is in an arena where fans want blood

Sure the beat is far better, no body gives a ****. Nas is such a supreme lyricist that his terrible beat selection is not as obvious as it should be at times

Jay gave him what 1/1.5 verses in which he spit one real fact i can remember being the searchlight ish oh and the sub at his baby moms

Jay tried to come through wit a silencer pistol and Nas came through with a chopper from close range

Nas went 2nd tho.

Im sayin he made ether two months after takeover thats alotta prep time.

No prep time jay >>>>>> nas

I think we can all agree on this

Ether is NOT a better track than takeover tho.

I think everyone agrees on this

This dude is seriously gunning for a Golden Shrek award.

Which is sad, because I don't think that's a real thing.

Last edited:
My favorite part of this thread is SC kid SC kid posting outrageous claims and then following them by saying "I like Nas" in almost every post as if it's gonna give his post credibility.

The best part about this is, if you were in NY from 95-98, Jay wasn't running anything and wasn't a god. Everyone knew how bad he wanted to be Nas and how badly he wanted to work with Nas. Reasonable Doubt got some love but it got probably less love than Black Rob's "Life Story" No one called RD a classic or was playing it like that. NaS was the ruler and wasn't even out like that. He was a shy kid that was avoiding everyone and everything.

Do people remember when Vol 1 came out? Jay had so many commercial flops on that album.

It's also funny how people say "Ether" is full of lies and jokes. Okay, believe that if it eases the effect "Ether" had on Jay and rap :lol:

Jay's last few albums have been embarrassing. Each album, lyrically he's taking steps back and is the main reason why I don't listen to him anymore. BP3, KC, MGHG. They're average at best. I'll take "Distant Relatives" and "Life Is Good" over any of them. There's actual content on those records and **** you can learn from as a man.

One last thing....

View media item 1253685

Last edited:
My favorite part of this thread is SC kid SC kid posting outrageous claims and then following them by saying "I like Nas" in almost every post as if it's gonna give his post credibility.

The best part about this is, if you were in NY from 95-98, Jay wasn't running anything and wasn't a god. Everyone knew how bad he wanted to be Nas and how badly he wanted to work with Nas. Reasonable Doubt got some love but it got probably less love than Black Rob's "Life Story" No one called RD a classic or was playing it like that. NaS was the ruler and wasn't even out like that. He was a shy kid that was avoiding everyone and everything.

Do people remember when Vol 1 came out? Jay had so many commercial flops on that album.

It's also funny how people say "Ether" is full of lies and jokes. Okay, believe that if it eases the effect "Ether" had on Jay and rap :lol:

Jay's last few albums have been embarrassing. Each album, lyrically he's taking steps back and is the main reason why I don't listen to him anymore. BP3, KC, MGHG. They're average at best. I'll take "Distant Relatives" and "Life Is Good" over any of them. There's actual content on those records and **** you can learn from as a man.

One last thing....

View media item 1253685

Frontin like that is your picture. Smh.

Not that I need credit for the pic or that I posted it for credit.

View media item 1253792
Same trash can, carpet and I can't post the CDs because they were thrown away the same day that Jay Z screwed my Yankees by signing Robinson Cano. If he had a good agent, Yankees would have signed Cano months ago to an unreasonable deal instead of rolling the dice and letting Seattle get him.

The best part about this is, if you were in NY from 95-98, Jay wasn't running anything and wasn't a god. 
Hey champ, from '98 on can you tell me between the two (Jay and Nas) who was running things or who between the two was seen as a "god" moreso than the other??

I always liked takeover more then ether .

. I used to Think jay was goat status. I like nas way better now. Jay has sucked since american gangster his last album i sorta of liked from him. All his new ish belongs in the trash and i cant listen to him anymore without despising him for what hes become. Nas wins allday everyday over jayz......

Last edited:
Never heard anyone say the ether beat was trash until they found out ron browz made it 6-7 yrs later

I always liked the beat for Ether. Ron Browz had some nice tracks back then. If you don't know what he's done, look him up. Lloyd Banks, G-Unit, Joe Budden, Fat Joe. He's got some nice beats out there.

I'm not sure how or why you didn't see my question asked directly to you, but I'll ask it again this time with your name highlighted. @Ballerific703  Hey champ, from '98 on can you tell me between the two (Jay and Nas) who was running things or who between the two was seen as a "god" moreso than the other??

One last thing....

View media item 1253685

:pimp:

I'm not sure how or why you didn't see my question asked directly to you, but I'll ask it again this time with your name highlighted. @Ballerific703
 Hey champ, from '98 on can you tell me between the two (Jay and Nas) who was running things or who between the two was seen as a "god" moreso than the other??

Who was running things?

98 could go to either.
I remember when Vol. 1 came out and Jay had some awful commercial songs on it. People thought his career was on the way down and could be done. NaS disappeared and took a break. Jay put out Hard Knock Life which was an awful song but a desperate move to stay in the game. Turned out to be a big hit. After that Can I Get...came out and Rush Hour was huge, that's when he took off. Vol. 2 is still one of his best albums though. I would take that over anything he's done after Blueprint 1.

So you go 99-01 to Jay. Ether comes out and Jay is on the radio crying. Stillmatic is a classic and NaS is running the lyrical world and then Jay continues to sell out to make commercial music and get paid.

I bought every Jay album except for MCHG. He's talented for sure. Lyrically, I always thought NaS was better but I was always a big fan of Vol. 2, The Dynasty and The Blueprint. I only liked half of RD and half of Vol. 1. "Where I'm From" is my favorite Jay track and The Blueprint is his best album. I stopped listening to Jay when I realized his last 3-4 albums I bought were recycled content and him spewing the same BS. He had gotten lazy and sold out. Which, I'm not mad at. I would for a lot of money too. When I listen to NaS' last few releases, he's actually saying **** that as a man, you can learn from. It doesn't sound like some BS to sell singles or ringtones. He's actually teaching young men. Much respect and appreciation to NaS. Life is Good >>> anything after The Blueprint.

But my original point of bringing up who was running what and who was a god is that it's funny, people think Jay is better but Jay was the groupie. He loved Nas but Nas turned down offers to do music with him. Never understood how you can say Jay was better when he was a groupie of Nas.

I'm not sure how or why you didn't see my question asked directly to you, but I'll ask it again this time with your name highlighted. @Ballerific703
Who was running things?

98 could go to either.
I remember when Vol. 1 came out and Jay had some awful commercial songs on it. People thought his career was on the way down and could be done. NaS disappeared and took a break. Jay put out Hard Knock Life which was an awful song but a desperate move to stay in the game. Turned out to be a big hit. After that Can I Get...came out and Rush Hour was huge, that's when he took off. Vol. 2 is still one of his best albums though. I would take that over anything he's done after Blueprint 1.

So you go 99-01 to Jay. Ether comes out and Jay is on the radio crying. Stillmatic is a classic and NaS is running the lyrical world and then Jay continues to sell out to make commercial music and get paid.

I bought every Jay album except for MCHG. He's talented for sure. Lyrically, I always thought NaS was better but I was always a big fan of Vol. 2, The Dynasty and The Blueprint. I only liked half of RD and half of Vol. 1. "Where I'm From" is my favorite Jay track and The Blueprint is his best album. I stopped listening to Jay when I realized his last 3-4 albums I bought were recycled content and him spewing the same BS. He had gotten lazy and sold out. Which, I'm not mad at. I would for a lot of money too. When I listen to NaS' last few releases, he's actually saying **** that as a man, you can learn from. It doesn't sound like some BS to sell singles or ringtones. He's actually teaching young men. Much respect and appreciation to NaS. Life is Good >>> anything after The Blueprint.

But my original point of bringing up who was running what and who was a god is that it's funny, people think Jay is better but Jay was the groupie. He loved Nas but Nas turned down offers to do music with him. Never understood how you can say Jay was better when he was a groupie of Nas.
I asked a direct question and you give me a round about answer and a bunch of long-winded excuses, typical of most Nas fans by the way.  Let me help you out champ since you seem not to be able to be direct.  The answer to my question is Jay back then, just as it is Jay now.

LOL @ Nas took a break, more like he fell flat on his face for a few years realising records and albums that were never mentioned or recognized again.  Also, if "Hard Knock Life" is such an awful song, how and why did it have so much success, hell you still might hear that record to this very day.  That's another thing to, if folks think Nas is better than Jay then that's their opinion, but at the end of the day be it back in '98 or even NOW to this very day within the general public you are going to hear more Jay records than Nas records.  How does that make you hardcore Nas fans feel?

In this very thread I see folks making excuses for Nas left and right, "had Nas worked with better producers, had Nas been signed to a better label early on", "if Nas cared more about money", yada yada yada.  Just excuse after excuse for Nas.  That's one thing you don't hear in reference to Jay or even some of his fans here on the board ,you don't hear excuses as it pertains to the individual artist and what they were able to do.  

At the end of the day when BOTH artists are no longer putting out music or albums actively, their music and individual music alone is what is going to carry both of them.  Not their business deals, not who they are or were married to, but their music individually as artists.  With that being said as it stands now Jay ranks superior against Nas because no matter what coast or part of this country or any other country you are in, most likely you are going to hear a Jay record over or moreso than a Nas record.  If anyone feels differently on that specific point feel free to try and explain why......good luck. 

Deuce fooling himself. He know DMX was running things after '98. To even pit Jay against Nas in that sort of question is faulty. Jay's actual rise to prominence came off of that battle and with the backing of the Roc. He wasn't running anything in NYC let alone all of rap at that time. Shame too cuz he had some good albums around then.
Ether is NOT a better track than takeover tho.

I think everyone agrees on this
Nah it is.

Takeover barely a focused diss track though. Dudes prop up Takeover like Jay had any real heat directed at Nas. That was just the usual him talking about his status and dissing several rappers. Not to mention the stuff about Nas were majority lies.

Jay's best Nas diss came waaaay after the fact in BP2 cuz he couldn't get over the L he took.

Deuce fooling himself. He know DMX was running things after '98. To even pit Jay against Nas in that sort of question is faulty. Jay's actual rise to prominence came off of that battle and with the backing of the Roc. He wasn't running anything in NYC let alone all of rap at that time. Shame too cuz he had some good albums around then.
No champ because the people or two in comparison here were Jay and Nas, not Jay versus everyone else or Nas versus everyone one.  Dont' be a fraud my man.  The two people in question here are Jay and Nas, do you understand that??  Even with that being said, DMX had a good 2 year run at best, after that it's been nothing but rehab ever since, that and dressing up as a federal agent at your local airport, but enough about that guy.  We're talking about Jay and Nas directly here, and I need you to stay and be focused @Master Zik

LOL@ Jay's rise to prominence came off of that battle, where's a kid like you at??  Jay was everyone in late '98 and even well after '98.  Where was Nas in comparison be it back then or even now??  If Jay wasn't running anything in NYC as you claim why was he all over the radio, why was his music heard more and why were his features or requests for features held in higher regard as opposed to Nas be in back then or even NOW.  If both Jay and Nas were to have a live concert in NYC be it 10 years ago or tomorrow for that matter, who between the two is either going to command a larger audience in NYC or command a larger venue, strictly in NYC??

Back
Top Bottom