Joe Mauer Signs Contract Extension w/ Twins.....($184MM over 8 Years)

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Playing on a championship contender and getting paid > Playing on a non-contender and getting paid.
Non-contender?

You're a Blue Jays fan....

Good for him and the Twins, it's nice to see him stay in Minnesota and for the Twins to pay him

Plus its awesome that he's not going to sign with the Yankees

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

A few years from now when the Twins arent very good they'll trade him to the Yankees.

full no trade clause
Playing on a championship contender and getting paid > Playing on a non-contender and getting paid.

You dont think he'll waive it a few years from now if the Twins arent as good as he expected?

The way he talks about how much it means to him that his grandparents can come to all his home games.

Nope

Originally Posted by JPZx

Non-contender?

Come on,son

Don't be that guy

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

pimp.gif
you ready for a great year fellas?
Are we?

capt.8f5961aa0c764f5b9805fa99a5bd0f49.twins_nathan_baseball_flnh103.jpg

I'm skeptical
ohwell.gif

I was hoping we would have traded for Bell or Frasor by now. I don't like the idea of going in-house and just hoping that someone can shore up the position. Just too much of a question mark in that. In a year where we have so much talent on the roster I think believe trading for Heath Bell or someone like him is a must despite having to give up a couple of nice prospects.
yea, i was hoping they would bring someone in as well to fill the role...but we will see how it goes...i figure eventually, if we're having any kind of bullpen trouble, we'll bring someone in.

I mean has played at a high level playing catcher his whole career, who is to say Mauer can't do the same.

laugh.gif
Nah I'm just sayin that if this dude says Mauer shouldn't play for the Twins because they'll be a non-contender than I don't know why any Blue Jays players even show up to their jobs.

But yeah I know he's comparing the Twins success to the Yankees and when he's getting big money both ways why wouldn't he sign with the Yankees.

Either way, I don't know what many classify as a "contender" but we won our division 50% of the time during the past decade (a percentage that is a hell of a lot better than the majority of the MLB during that decade). We went to the ALCS once in 2002...which is not a great playoff success percentage but I don't know how we weren't "contenders" every year last decade. To consider that only eight of the 30 teams go to the playoffs each year, and the Twins went 50% of the time last decade, isn't that a "contender"? So, if the Twins aren't contenders, then there are only about 3-4 teams that are. Considering 8 different teams won the World Series from 2000-2009, then I don't see how the Twins weren't in the mix each year. There were no dynasties, and a new team came up every year. The Twins were consistently good (winning the AL Central 50% of the time), so how weren't they contenders?

/rant
laugh.gif

Edit: Damn I said the word contender about 47 times in there
laugh.gif

Non-contender?

Actually, I dont care about the Blue Jays.

Funny you mention the Blue Jays though. A team that has won the World Series more recently than the Twins.

but can the Twins afford it...

new ballpark blah blah blah I'll believe it when I see the attendance figures

Good question... Hopefully we won't be catching the KG syndrome where we pay too much to one guy and can't win because of it.
But Target Field will be sold out, no doubt.

Regardless,
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Glad he's locked up.

Never thought I'd see a dollar figure of that amount associated with the Minnesota Twins.

I'm sure glad they locked Mauer up. It's the right thing for the Twins and baseball.

This is good for the Twins, Mauer and MLB.

It sucks for Justin Morneau....unless he becomes a corner outfielder.

The countdown to his Twin career has just started ticking.  A contract like this, I don't see Mauer playing behind the dish much longer.  Why would the Twins wait until Mauer's knee's deteriorate before moving him to first base?

i comment the twinkies on signing this guy

as a yankee fan im not mad about it

i hope he is worth this contract year 5,6,7,8 into this contract

ANY of you would love to see Mauer on your respective teams.

As a Yankee fan, I'd obviously love to see him in Pinstripes.

But he does get all the props in the world for staying with his hometown team. Mauer IS that dude
pimp.gif

Pujols can choke on a horse$%. I can't stand that &*#$@!*$&%@ %@#^*%.

Originally Posted by onewearz

how could anyone hate the yanks ?
its remarkably easy actually

but we're " the yankees " , we are baseball, we have jeter. it's confusing to me ...............

tongue.gif
I don't enjoy saying it, but it's true.

But I do enjoy knowing that the Yankees will never know the success they had in the previous century again. No more Harlem Globetrotter-esque domination and friendly relations with other owners to take their best players and give nothing in return (my A's fall under this unfortunate fact). Frankly, the Yankees will always be the premiere franchise of baseball around the world, but they'll never win the way they did again.

i heard a comment on ESPN that stated the Twin organization was only worth 90+ million...

Originally Posted by jthagreat

i heard a comment on ESPN that stated the Twin organization was only worth 90+ million...
Did you read that on the idiot comments below every article?

Twins wont be winning anything anytime soon........They can only afford to pay him and maybe one other person.....and thats not gonna do much while being in the AL with the yanks

how could anyone hate the yanks ?

you serious?
indifferent.gif

I saw Shapiro(Mauer's agent) at the spring training game in Ft. Myers yesterday and knew the deal was close to done
congrats Mauer
pimp.gif

Not surprised that Twins signed Mauer with this money plus a "FULL NO TRADE CLAUSE" that's big
Twins could have lost a bidding war if he went to free agency

He deserves this money, how many catchers aret their in MLB history that has won multiple batting titile and Gold Glove defense at the same time, he's like Pudge Rodriguez 3.0
And he doesn't deserve to be compared with Mike Piazza, PLEASE!! don't...
Piazza, is more of a hitter/home run threat than  a catcher

Back
Top Bottom