Jordan 1 Chicago - Reimagined aka Lost and Found - November 19, 2022

Not true at all. Some folks actually like the shoes. I will say there’s a lot of people who’s “sneakerhead identity” is tied to the value of the shoes.

I’ve got some GRs and I’ve got some limited stuff, I bought what I bought because I wanted it, not because I’m trying to fit in with what’s hot at the moment. That mentality has ruined the sneaker hobby from when I came into and now.

Crazy how true this is, and I will never understand it. Went into a FNL with a buddy about a year ago and one of the employees was talking about "value" to another customer. My buddy had the black/cement 3's on and the employee says "my man right here got on a $500 pair of shoes!" all loud. I had on a pair of older Dunks and he says "and this man...I don't even know what he's wearing, but they're Dunks, so I know they're worth something." I just kinda looked at him like what are you even talking about? I couldn't care less how much something in my collection is "worth." I honestly don't care if I found it at Shoe Carnival or Kohl's. If I like it, I'm buying it and rocking it. If I don't like it, idc what the perceived value is, I'm not putting in any effort to try to get them.

I feel you, but cats is lyin if they say they don't subconsciously do that when you see, or wear certain pairs in the wild.

Last edited:
Crazy how true this is, and I will never understand it. Went into a FNL with a buddy about a year ago and one of the employees was talking about "value" to another customer. My buddy had the black/cement 3's on and the employee says "my man right here got on a $500 pair of shoes!" all loud. I had on a pair of older Dunks and he says "and this man...I don't even know what he's wearing, but they're Dunks, so I know they're worth something." I just kinda looked at him like what are you even talking about? I couldn't care less how much something in my collection is "worth." I honestly don't care if I found it at Shoe Carnival or Kohl's. If I like it, I'm buying it and rocking it. If I don't like it, idc what the perceived value is, I'm not putting in any effort to try to get them.
Everything you're saying is dead on the money.

But I paid 5-honey for my Shadow 1s and I'd be lying if I said I don't walk around with an extra-exaggerated Ric Flair strut when I wear them.

It's hard not to let the resell value of a shoe affect your feelings about it.

...even if you know it's all bulls***.

Chi's one of them joints you gotta grab every time.
As long as they don’t diverge too much…
9E204794-73BB-409E-A5BF-D32D5621C63C.gif

But I paid 5-honey for my Shadow 1s and I'd be lying if I said I don't walk around with an extra-exaggerated Ric Flair strut when I wear them.

For me, while it does add extra confidence walking around, the more expensive a shoe/piece of clothing the more cautious, or even paranoid I am, about accidentally stepping in something, getting food on me, etc. I paid quite a bit for my S4 Yeezy boots and I'd (mentally) scream if I ever stained them.

For me, while it does add extra confidence walking around, the more expensive a shoe/piece of clothing the more cautious, or even paranoid I am, about accidentally stepping in something, getting food on me, etc. I paid quite a bit for my S4 Yeezy boots and I'd (mentally) scream if I ever stained them.
1000% true.

You know you need help when you're on the verge of physically assaulting a 5-year-old for stepping on your University Blue 4s.

...and you check the weather report every morning before wearing anything with suede/nubuck.

I think I got all that outta my system a long time ago. I remember when I first started asking for J's and my mom saying "you know you can get both of these here for the price of this ONE Jordan" and me being like yep, and I don't care. I definitely remember going through a phase of "if it doesn't have visible air, I'm not even looking at it." All that was in like middle school, though. I can only think of one time in my adult life that I've ever put any kind of thought into this, and it was when I un-ds'ed my Travis Scott Dunks. I had a little bit of anxiety about it, but got over it pretty quickly. Only thing I really take into consideration nowadays is like not wearing an Off White to a concert lol. I'm not team retail or bust, but I'm not far off.

H headdetective To your point, it definitely raises an eyebrow if I see somebody rocking something like a Travis Scott in the wild, but it's less about value and more about "Oh, that's cool. Not many people around here have those."

I respect that jshortt jshortt

In my mind though, when I say to myself, "not many people around here have those", I'm usually tying it to the fact that not many people are gonna pay that ticket $$$.

It all aligns, to me.

1000% true.

You know you need help when you're on the verge of physically assaulting a 5-year-old for stepping on your University Blue 4s.

...and you check the weather report every morning before wearing anything with suede/nubuck.
I dunno man, some of these kids need to learn what personal space is and if I have to be the one to teach em via clothesline, it is what it is. Also the last part is me all the time up here in Michigan, especially from fall to spring. If it rains or snows, that's a tank shoe kinda day (black cement 3, aqua 8, etc). If it's nice and dry, then yeah bring on the suede, nubuck, all that jazz.

They don't care. These are marketing tools. A Jordan 1 is not their bread and butter when it comes to impacting their bottom line.

It's clear they don't care and use these releases for marketing BS, but they can move a good deal more than 100K pairs of these with no problem. No idea if that number is legit. though, considering the source.

I feel you, but cats is lyin if they say they don't subconsciously do that when you see, or wear certain pairs in the wild.

The only thing like this that ever crosses my mind when I see people wearing certain pairs is, I wonder if he/she managed to get those on release day for retail or had to go the resale route. I'm 1000x more intrigued by the scarcity/effort factor than I am the actual dollar value. I'd probably have to see someone walking around in the Mags to truly be impressed by someone owning a specific pair of shoes based on their cash value.

The amount of money I spend on a shoe doesn’t make or break it for me. I’ve spent some money on kicks that I ended up regretting down the line months later.

I would say the social media train/advertising aids it a bit. I’ll still say to this day that the University Blue 1s are my favorite shoe in my collection and it’s also the most I spent on a single pair of shoes. CW/craftsmanship/quality of materials on my pair was/is flawless on my pair. But also love my Shadow 2.0s and I got that pair for a relative steal in my opinion($235). The colorway is flawless as well plus I love the color grey.

Does it give me extra confidence? Highly doubt it, but it’s a joy to wear certain shoes knowing you own that pair. Plus I clean after every wear. So I protect and take care of my possessions.

The amount of money I spend on a shoe doesn’t make or break it for me. I’ve spent some money on kicks that I ended up regretting down the line months later.

I would say the social media train/advertising aids it a bit. I’ll still say to this day that the University Blue 1s are my favorite shoe in my collection and it’s also the most I spent on a single pair of shoes. CW/craftsmanship/quality of materials on my pair was/is flawless on my pair. But also love my Shadow 2.0s and I got that pair for a relative steal in my opinion($235). The colorway is flawless as well plus I love the color grey.

Does it give me extra confidence? Highly doubt it, but it’s a joy to wear certain shoes knowing you own that pair. Plus I clean after every wear. So I protect and take care of my possessions.
yup-best-friends.gif

I respect that jshortt jshortt

In my mind though, when I say to myself, "not many people around here have those", I'm usually tying it to the fact that not many people are gonna pay that ticket $$$.

It all aligns, to me.

You know what? I'm gonna correct myself a little bit haha. I've had a few students come in wearing stuff with the StockX tag still attached and I've thought "you paid StockX prices for THOSE?!" Had a 6th grade girl come in with a pair of the Igloo wannabe Mids, StockX tag hanging, and just shook my head. :lol:

You know what? I'm gonna correct myself a little bit haha. I've had a few students come in wearing stuff with the StockX tag still attached and I've thought "you paid StockX prices for THOSE?!" Had a 6th grade girl come in with a pair of the Igloo wannabe Mids, StockX tag hanging, and just shook my head. :lol:

We're ancient, dawg. Can't even imagine wearing tags on clothing, but then again, I never could, not even back in the day when some people were leaving stickers on hats and all that. Thought it was stupid in the '90s and it's still stupid today. Saw some other parent with the sticker still on his hat at my 7-year-old's basketball game on Saturday. Had to laugh to myself. But hey, if people like to do that, more power to them, doesn't impact me. I think the next time I get a new car, I'll leave the window sticker on for as long as possible. If you're gonna flex, then FLEX. Some sneakers that cost a few hundred bucks ain't really it when you're a grown up. Maybe wear the deed to your house on a chain around your neck :lol:

Last edited:
We're ancient, dawg. Can't even imagine wearing tags on clothing, but then again, I never could, not even back in the day when some people were leaving stickers on hats and all that. Thought it was stupid in the '90s and it's still stupid today. Saw some other parent with the sticker still on his hat at my 7-year-old's basketball game on Saturday. Had to laugh to myself. But hey, if people like to do that, more power to them, doesn't impact me. I think the next time I get a new car, I'll leave the window sticker on for as long as possible. If you're gonna flex, then FLEX. Some sneakers that cost a few hundred bucks ain't really it when you're a grown up. Maybe wear the deed to your house on a chain around your neck :lol:

I leave the hang tag on my Rolex so people know it's new.

The only thing like this that ever crosses my mind when I see people wearing certain pairs is, I wonder if he/she managed to get those on release day for retail or had to go the resale route. I'm 1000x more intrigued by the scarcity/effort factor than I am the actual dollar value. I'd probably have to see someone walking around in the Mags to truly be impressed by someone owning a specific pair of shoes based on their cash value.
This cash value stuff is so engrained in the culture now and it sucks. Makes me reluctant to wear my “big $$$” pairs out now. I have the OG Travis 1s and OW UNCs (hit both retail) and if I wear them out now I get so many comments about value. Also feels a bit like you’re putting a target on your back sometimes wearing something that “valuable.” I’m not trying to stunt, I just want to wear the shoes.

I leave the hang tag on my Rolex so people know it's new.

I wear the receipt on my shirt like a nametag

:lol: I had to get an Omega serviced recently after a bizarre self-inflicted mishap cracked the sapphire crystal, I should attach the paid invoice from the official service center to it, considering I could've bought another pair of OW Muslin Vs for about the same cost as a simple watch repair :smh:

This cash value stuff is so engrained in the culture now and it sucks. Makes me reluctant to wear my “big $$$” pairs out now. I have the OG Travis 1s and OW UNCs (hit both retail) and if I wear them out now I get so many comments about value. Also feels a bit like you’re putting a target on your back sometimes wearing something that “valuable.” I’m not trying to stunt, I just want to wear the shoes.

I guess one advantage to being 100 years old like me and spoonmanofthehour spoonmanofthehour and jshortt jshortt is--well, maybe not J since he's around kids all day LOL--the places I mostly go and the people I'm around, no one cares or even knows about shoes one way or the other. I can wear whatever without even thinking about it meaning something to anyone. Every once in a while a "kid" or younger adult has said something like, "Sick shoes," or "I wish I bought those instead of these." It's usually when I'm at a mall or maybe a certain type of restaurant. I do remember walking into a bowling alley about three or four years ago wearing my black-toe 13s, and a kid who looked about 18-20 said to me, "I really like those shoes, sir." It took me a bit to realize the "sir" was me. That was ----ed up :rofl:

I recall in the 90s so many kids leaving the Starter tag on hats; always looked so stupid to me. I always took off all stickers, tags, etc., and threw them out, and the shoe box (from my annual purchase) rarely made it out of the store on purchase day.

I totally agree!! I’ve never cared one bit about the “value” of a pair of shoes I own, and I’ll rock regardless of what that “value” is or becomes over time. Especially since this “value” that people place on this sht is totally made up, and completely subjective, and I personally have ZERO interest in ever selling my stuff. With that logic, if for some random reason the “value” of any of clothing instantly inflates (a random shirt, pair of socks, my jeans, etc.), I’d feel some type of way about wearing them. Again, I’m not selling my sht, so the “value” is irrelevant to me.

Now, if someone PAID that high ticket for a pair on the resell market, I can see them feeling differently about wearing said pairs.

Adding to the stories of y’all with rocking high “valued” pairs, I remember when I rocked my Trav 1 Highs at a mall with my wife, and not only did some dude have to flag me down, give a complement, and tell me how much they’re “worth” (my wife giving me this “people are really doing this?” expression the whole time), but he even offered me $1500 on the spot for them. Definitely the more cringy aspects of this passion that I love.

Back
Top Bottom