Jordan 12's retro

I was thinking of purchasing a pair of flint grey 12's from 2005 i believe, not sure the year.. but i was wondering how they perform and their comfort level.
I am only about 5'10 and 170 lbs, and i play the point, if that helps..
Thanks in advance !

they are a beautiful shoe to hoop in
i have some
and if im not mistaken they sell for pretty cheap nowadays

i have some

i have some

in my opinion they are uncomfortable, the sole is way to hard you might want to try an insert sole from footlocker or something. they probably run about a half size big from my experience...

hey again, i was wondering also.. which ones were the best to hoop in.. the OG's , 03-05 retros or the 09-10 retros?

i have most of the XII's (og and retro) and for some reason the grey fits my feet the best.... dont know to hoop in cause i dint play ball for many years cause of injury...

The Retro's from 03 and 05 feel WAY better than the OG's. The Zoom was still semi-experimantal in 1997 and not quite responsive, more like just flat hard. The outsole is very stiff on OG's, and the leather, although great quality, is just too thick and stiff. Heel fit is much improved in the retros. I felt it was sloppy in the OG's.

Originally Posted by duke4005

The Retro's from 03 and 05 feel WAY better than the OG's. The Zoom was still semi-experimantal in 1997 and not quite responsive, more like just flat hard. .

Quoted for emphasis.

I was thinking of maybe pickin up a pair of OG's cause i loved my greys so much, but now i think ill just stick with the retro's.
Thanks for the quick response errbody !

IMO , there good for flat feet , i cross over to much and by the end of the night my feet are chewed up from the court .

The Zoom was still semi-experimantal in 1997.

Inaccurate.It was not still "experimental". The Zoom Air used back then was far more durable, then supported a wider range of player, regardless of bodyweight. It had more of a bounce as well. Nike was forced to change the formula for their "Air" products, due to getting in trouble with those who care about the environment. That said, the zoom used now does not last as long, then feels mushy, and is inconsistent from shoe to shoe, then is NON supportive, then NON responsive for a wide rage of athletes. It does not bounce back as quickly as the older stuff, which is bad for the bigger player and one in particular, Mr LeBron James. He suffered back spasms while wearing zoom shoes, then had to change to Max Air, which is a bit more supportive than the non responsive zoom air.

That said, the XII's still are a cool shoe, but has been stripped down to support the lesser quality zoom air. Funny thing is, Nike raised the price of this shoe, while taking out much of the "sole".  
wink.gif

Originally Posted by chamilitary03

I was thinking of maybe pickin up a pair of OG's cause i loved my greys so much, but now i think ill just stick with the retro's.
Thanks for the quick response errbody !

def stick with retros if you wanna ball in them

Originally Posted by Nat Turner

Inaccurate.It was not still "experimental". The Zoom Air used back then was far more durable, then supported a wider range of player, regardless of bodyweight. It had more of a bounce as well. Nike was forced to change the formula for their "Air" products, due to getting in trouble with those who care about the environment. That said, the zoom used now does not last as long, then feels mushy, and is inconsistent from shoe to shoe, then is NON supportive, then NON responsive for a wide rage of athletes. It does not bounce back as quickly as the older stuff, which is bad for the bigger player and one in particular, Mr LeBron James. He suffered back spasms while wearing zoom shoes, then had to change to Max Air, which is a bit more supportive than the non responsive zoom air.

That said, the XII's still are a cool shoe, but has been stripped down to support the lesser quality zoom air. Funny thing is, Nike raised the price of this shoe, while taking out much of the "sole".  
wink.gif

As a matter of fact, it was still, as I said, "semi" experimental, meaning each shoe around this time with Zoom had a different feel to it. This was the first round of shoes with Zoom, as the Zoom 95 and Jordan XI had Tensile Air. Admittedly the same idea, but different name and newness led to my calling it experimental. And I am a heavier player, and can tell you the Zoom in the OG XII was hard as a rock and not only never had much feel to it, it bottomed out and left a low spot in the midsole when it flattened ( I still have a pair of Taxi's where the Zoom bag is flat to prove it). The Zoom for the Zoom 96 of the same year was way softer (to soft), and I feel the next year is when the formula was really perfected. I knew all about the environmental junk,but that never really affected the Zoom shoe as Zoom is more about the Tensile fibers. Air Max are more greatly affected by that change.

Originally Posted by Nat Turner

wink.gif

As a matter of fact, it was still, as I said, "semi" experimental, meaning each shoe around this time with Zoom had a different feel to it. This was the first round of shoes with Zoom, as the Zoom 95 and Jordan XI had Tensile Air. Admittedly the same idea, but different name and newness led to my calling it experimental. And I am a heavier player, and can tell you the Zoom in the OG XII was hard as a rock and not only never had much feel to it, it bottomed out and left a low spot in the midsole when it flattened ( I still have a pair of Taxi's where the Zoom bag is flat to prove it). The Zoom for the Zoom 96 of the same year was way softer (to soft), and I feel the next year is when the formula was really perfected. I knew all about the environmental junk,but that never really affected the Zoom shoe as Zoom is more about the Tensile fibers. Air Max are more greatly affected by that change.

Calling it Zoom Air over "tensile air" was the marketing push. It had a sexier ring, then from interviews from the head of Nike Basketball at that time, it was a finished product. Jordan brand did not want to use Zoom Air too much, as per interviews, the head of that design team said " it's a great tech, but we use it in spots, as we feel it can be overused".

Then greenpeace came along and threw a monkey wrench in the system, and then all AIR had to be changed including Zoom Air, which also used the same Air formula as Max Air, but with tensile fibers. The new formula lost pressure faster than the old, with places like footlocker sending shoes back in droves. Apparently they are now lining the air bags with a something to prevent air leakage, but the zoom still lacks that firm bounce, that can support ALL players at any position.

Well, it may have been hard as a rock to you , but I prefered it that way, as did many others who now cannot play in Zoom Air today, that includes LeBron James.

The retro XII's are cool, but pale in comparison to the OG in regard to construction, quality materials, and then durability. 

^dude you keep saying lebron james doesnt play in zoom air shoes. he just played throughout the playoffs in zoom air shoes...

as for the og and retro xii comparison the ogs were tanks. indestructable. they last way long. but from a balling standpoint the retro is superior although more flimsy than the og.

I do agree with the build of the OG's, which was one time I thought a shoe was better of the lesser materials, if that makes sense. To me they were like Noble said, built like a tank and played like it. I too liked alot of the older Zoom shoes better, particularly the GP series, but for some reason those XII's just felt like bricks and never broke in to me. Zoom 95, great. 96, too soft, foot numbness. I had never heard any change in the Zoom formula, just figured it had to do with the thickness and capacity of the fibers. Good to know.

They're nothing compare to today shoes like Kobe , Hyperdunk, Hyperfuse, etc. Still a good hoop shoes for casual pick up game here and then etc but def not my go to shoes

my OG just died on me, so i got myself a retro. i haven't played ball with them yet but i hope they won't make my feet sore just like what the OG's did
frown.gif

ive got a pair and for your weight and height n position you may want something a little lighter and less narrow..they do feel at times a bit tight and clunky...but they are def durable

My favorite shoe, fit very snug imo but do feel clunky while running. I would go with the 03-04 retros which include the flint grey, pretty much same tanks but lighter. I don't own any of the the newer retros.

Back
Top Bottom