Jordan IV Military Blue - May 4, 2024

First, y'all can't re-write history. I was alive as a kid throughout the 1980,s, and Hip Hop /Black Culture/Street Culture was the driving force that made sneaker/tennis shoe culture what it is TODAY. Also, we looked at the rockbands as being cool and stylish, because they actually were cool and stylish back then. Rock was in the same category as Hip Hop back then, when it came to being anti-establishment/anti-mainstream back then.

In the mid 1980,s up until around 1988, certain tennis shoes like Jordans and shelltoe Adidas and converse. Were frowned upon by the majority of mainstream media and suburban America. Certain teachers at my school would talk bad and down at the kids who wore these shoes, when all of this started.

It was scary to them, because Hip Hop and the Streets was a huge driving force in popularizing Jordans from 1985. You had NBA announcers talking bad about Michael Jordan and the Air Jordan 1 in 85, because believe it or not, a new high flying rookie that could jump out of the gym, with all around game, was wearing Black and Red shoes, which was never done before 1985.

I know it's hard to believe when you look at Jordan right now, but back then, he was a young black kid wearing Gold Chains with Black and Red different looking shoes. All of that scared middle America, because he came off like he was representing Black Culture, Hip hop, and anti-establishment.

When surburban America was scared of Jordans in 85, the streets and Hip Hop got behind it and pushed it into the popularity ot is today. The heavy metal bands were cool to us, because they were street and anti-establishment and mainstream as well.

Some of yall have it confused, because of what tennis shoes are today, which is a mainstream thing. It wasn't commercialized as a mainstream thing back in the mid 80,s like it is right now. It shifted into a mainstream thing around 87/88.

Back to the complex talk. Yeah, i don't want to see people who don't have any style, tell me about which shoes look good or don't.

Capo aint famous for his sneakers and fashion. :lol:

You never heard of Dipset? Camron? Juelz Santana?

How old are you and where you from? 100% serious. Even if you dont listen to hip hop you should know who Jim Jones is.
I’ve heard of Camron and Dipset. Never listened to their music.

And no. I don’t need to know who anyone is. I don’t need to be a part of any culture, scene, group, etc. to appreciate or like sneakers. I can like sneakers for the purity of liking sneakers. The only approval I need for sneakers and what I like is my own.

The only “good” pic I’ve seen of this shoe is in that Unbreakable Kicks guy video. I want that shape, the rest is looking off.

First, y'all can't re-write history. I was alive as a kid throughout the 1980,s, and Hip Hop /Black Culture/Street Culture was the driving force that made sneaker/tennis shoe culture what it is TODAY. Also, we looked at the rockbands as being cool and stylish, because they actually were cool and stylish back then. Rock was in the same category as Hip Hop back then, when it came to being anti-establishment/anti-mainstream back then.

In the mid 1980,s up until around 1988, certain tennis shoes like Jordans and shelltoe Adidas and converse. Were frowned upon by the majority of mainstream media and suburban America. Certain teachers at my school would talk bad and down at the kids who wore these shoes, when all of this started.

It was scary to them, because Hip Hop and the Streets was a huge driving force in popularizing Jordans from 1985. You had NBA announcers talking bad about Michael Jordan and the Air Jordan 1 in 85, because believe it or not, a new high flying rookie that could jump out of the gym, with all around game, was wearing Black and Red shoes, which was never done before 1985.

I know it's hard to believe when you look at Jordan right now, but back then, he was a young black kid wearing Gold Chains with Black and Red different looking shoes. All of that scared middle America, because he came off like he was representing Black Culture, Hip hop, and anti-establishment.

When surburban America was scared of Jordans in 85, the streets and Hip Hop got behind it and pushed it into the popularity ot is today. The heavy metal bands were cool to us, because they were street and anti-establishment and mainstream as well.

Some of yall have it confused, because of what tennis shoes are today, which is a mainstream thing. It wasn't commercialized as a mainstream thing back in the mid 80,s like it is right now. It shifted into a mainstream thing around 87/88.

Back to the complex talk. Yeah, i don't want to see people who don't have any style, tell me about which shoes look good or don't.

This conversation has came up in a many of threads. Always very interesting to see how people deny the truth.

Idk what yall arguing about but damn bro dont know who Capo is? :lol: :wow:
🤣 I wish I didnt know who he is… Bro is 47 and still trying to be a tough guy. Talking down to the dudes on the show and clowning Dee-One. Where was that energy when Tru Life and the Fruit of Islam was on his head? Or when Fredo Bang told him that Dee-One was his middle school teacher? On a side note…. My man used to rock the military’s IV with his taekwondo uniform when we went to tournaments. He was nice with the art.. But when he rocked the militarys to school,, he reminded me of pre-teen Daniel Larusso. I am looking forward to these. I hope they redo the fire red IV. Every hustler in the city had a pair.

I’ve heard of Camron and Dipset. Never listened to their music.

And no. I don’t need to know who anyone is. I don’t need to be a part of any culture, scene, group, etc. to appreciate or like sneakers. I can like sneakers for the purity of liking sneakers. The only approval I need for sneakers and what I like is my own.

Then:

1. Why are you on niketalk? :lol:
2. Why are you on NT going back and forth?

Not trying to come at you.. I just dont get all this energy for something you essentially dont care about/need on a forum dedicated to a small group of people invested in sneaker culture.

and this is why I ignore a lot of what current sneaker culture is and what it's become.

Seeing someone like Brendan Dunne in some foams makes me not want to wear them.

The great thing about sneakers is you don’t have to be into ____. I mean we have people in here acting like only Jordans or basketball shoes are part of “sneaker culture”. And someone like Camron probably couldn’t even tell you what are the good runners today.

If you’re so close minded to who mass produced shoes are for, you need to go back to the drawing board altogether because you’re looking at things through such a limited lens.

My favorite aspect of the argument over who wore sneakers first or what group influenced the mainstream is that everyone is right in some regard. Seeing hard rockers wearing old jays would be (I assume) just as influential to the kid in middle America as seeing the local dopeboy or whoever from the inner city that influenced the kid from the hood.

We all met up in the middle which is trying to get your pair for your reason. Whether that be to put that ish on, measure it with a ruler to complain how it doesn’t meet OG specs, or looking for the next pair to beat down. We’re all here.

In for a pair for my son and myself.

This is not completely true, Hip-hop was not heavy with the Jordans until around the Jordan 3.

1985-1986-1987 Adidas and other brands had it.

Run DMC - "My Adidas" released in 1986 and it's fashion effect lasted at least a year or more.

I can definitely tell you who WAS wearing the Jordan 1 heavy when it released but most people on here will meltdown.

My favorite aspect of the argument over who wore sneakers first or what group influenced the mainstream is that everyone is right in some regard. Seeing hard rockers wearing old jays would be (I assume) just as influential to the kid in middle America as seeing the local dopeboy or whoever from the inner city that influenced the kid from the hood.

We all met up in the middle which is trying to get your pair for your reason. Whether that be to put that ish on, measure it with a ruler to complain how it doesn’t meet OG specs, or looking for the next pair to beat down. We’re all here.

In for a pair for my son and myself.
Exactly, the only commonality at this point is NOSTALGIA. The reason sneaker culture has changed is that the past decade as retros of all varieties from all brands blew up, new models, especially of basketball shoes, failed to gain much of a following in the present, let alone the past.

I grew up in the 90’s outside Chicago. I’d get a pair of running shoes and a pair of basketball shoes every year to play in and I made those Jordans and Air Maxes. I went 3 seasons without losing a game in Jordans, while watching MJ win 3 titles those same years. I won races in Air Max 97’s and 98’s. My love of these shoes is tied to pursuing greatness, hard work, trying to finish ahead of your peers.

As an adult I’ve achieved enough to buy hundreds of these shoes. I have no delusion that it’s a materialist, greedy hobby, but there is a personal sentiment behind achievement and styling myself in shoes that mean something to me from my youth.

But I also know other dudes have completely different reasons and memories attached to shoes that may have nothing to do with sports. Stunting may have been the only reason anyone ever got into sneakers. Neither is more or less part of any culture. And what music you listen to certainly has nothing to do with it.

This is not completely true, Hip-hop was not heavy with the Jordans until around the Jordan 3.

1985-1986-1987 Adidas and other brands had it.

Run DMC - "My Adidas" released in 1986 and it's fashion effect lasted at least a year or more.

This is accurate, the 3 was the model we saw a lot more Hip Hop artists wear. One of my favorite photos of an artist wearing the Jordan 1 was L.L.

IMG_1695.jpeg

This conversation has came up in a many of threads. Always very interesting to see how people deny the truth.
I am with you… History was rewritten when the shoe game turned into big business…. The same thing happened with hip hop. These things happen when critical thinking and creativity disappear. Some of us take this ish to heart bc we were birthed or lived through an era that was marred by gun and crack smoke. Even though they were material items, Jordans, Starter jackets, etc. conjure up fond memories.. (Some of us had to fight to keep the wolves from taking them 🙋🏾‍♂️) I might not agree with Jim Jones’ method, but I get it. I am going off topic, but that’s why releases like the Reimagine IV, Military IV, and Powder Blue IX mean a lot to some of the “OGs” and “Old Heads” in this group. Naturally things change, but I understand why some are so protective of the culture. Releases like the Military IV are special. It aint about being a brick. They are a piece of nostalgia; they take people to a place where things were more simple.

Then:

1. Why are you on niketalk? :lol:
2. Why are you on NT going back and forth?

Not trying to come at you.. I just dont get all this energy for something you essentially dont care about/need on a forum dedicated to a small group of people invested in sneaker culture.
So I’m here for any info on shoes I am interested in like pics, unknown info, conversation, etc. I don’t like the trappings of a “culture” . Whatever that culture may be. Culture is a box and is defined and has certain expectations. Depending on the culture, circumstances, event, or group, I sometimes decide to participate without fully defining and claiming to be a part of something.

Niketalk is a website that anyone can sign up for. Other than following community rules, there are no prerequisites to be here and participate. And there certainly isn’t any one rule stating any one of us have to claim to be part of sneaker culture.

By you asking me why I’m even here, you’re the exact example of a person that makes me not want to claim to be a sneakerhead. Your trying to force me into your (definition)of sneaker culture. You don’t define sneaker culture, you define it for yourself. Everyone else defines it for themselves and then we come together.

I’m just answering questions because I think some people make pretty big assumptions of others based on their own thoughts. It seems like clarification is needed for some people.

It is what it is

This thread is wild.

In 1989, my friend Jeremy walked into 8th grade with the blue J4’s and erased all m desire for the berry/blue Air Tech Challenge that had come out the prior summer.

Now, none of this mattered at the time, because the closest my mom was going to get to buying me a $120 (after tax!) shoe was the J3 sole on my yellow Air Assaults that were already beat to death.

And that feeling of not getting what I wanted 35 years ago is the reason I’m in this thread. It’s not any YouTube channel or a rapper that’s younger than me or even LL, as great as he was.

People come to this hobby for different reasons, but gatekeeping is the corniest thing by far that anyone in any “enthusiast” community can do.

Hell , most of this generation has little respect for legendary 90’s rappers let alone 80’s or earlier. Most of Gen Z actually thinks someone like Drake is better than Pac, Big, Nas, the Wu or Rakim. It’s pitiful.
Facts! I blame their parents. TI’s son King didn’t know that 2pac was an actor and Will Smith was a rapper.!! We can be “old heads” or we can be “OGs”. I try not to talk down to the youth. But when I they get on a soap box and say, “Buck the Legend Blue XIs! Give me the gammas!” They make question if I should drop kick them off that soap box.

I grew up in the 90’s outside Chicago. I’d get a pair of running shoes and a pair of basketball shoes every year to play in and I made those Jordans and Air Maxes. I went 3 seasons without losing a game in Jordans, while watching MJ win 3 titles those same years. I won races in Air Max 97’s and 98’s. My love of these shoes is tied to pursuing greatness, hard work, trying to finish ahead of your peers.

IMG_1477.gif

When an old school sneaker head gets talked down for trying to share some of the history with the new generation, well, thats fairly depressing…

I’ve been saying it for a while now, but the sneaker culture isn’t a thing outside of a small subset of people…This is, and has been, the resell culture for a while now…Most of the people couldn’t care less about the history behind the streetwear and such…It’s just about the money behind the thing…

Some look at that as gatekeeping, others might call it gentrification 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom