Jordan Luka 1

This explains why it's so easy to get GT Cuts, Jordan 36s, mb.01s, clyde all pros, Curry 9s, Kobes, etc. (these are just some of the shoes players are wearing in the GSW-Denver game right now).

So yeah, no, performance basketball sneakers are selling like crazy. I wear a size 13. Find me a size 13 GT Cut on a retailer (not reseller) website right now. Find me an mb.01. Find me multiple curry 9 colorways in my size. Find me the price of some Kobe protros is on a reseller website to where I am unable to find a 70-inch television I can buy for cheaper.

Sorry, I know you were just trying to make some random point, but as someone who plays basketball in performance basketball sneakers, and is on it for most releases and still missing out on a good number of these shoes, I have to politely disagree with you :lol:
Idk why you think this is my opinion, I don’t have anything against performance basketball shoes, I’m just stating facts regarding their sales. Obviously if they aren’t selling as well, they aren’t going to flood the market with them like they used to (I.e. remember how many cws of the LeBron 11s there were?):

Idk why you think this is my opinion, I don’t have anything against performance basketball shoes, I’m just stating facts regarding their sales. Obviously if they aren’t selling as well, they aren’t going to flood the market with them like they used to (I.e. remember how many cws of the LeBron 11s there were?):

Your original statement: "Performance basketball sneakers, especially at higher pricepoints are not selling well. "

The video you cited uses NPD group data and the pullquote: "After peaking this decade at $1.3 billion in 2015, sales of non-retro basketball sneakers generated only around $800 million in 2019"

So from it's all time high of 1,300,000,000, sales went to 800,000,000. That isn't "not selling well". Trust me, I'd love it if you were right and performance basketball shoes were easily obtainable in whatever colorway I wanted. The truth of the situation is closer to Nike realizing it could get more profits from making Roshe Runs (and I hated that dumb *** trend during it and watched as a bunch of idiots killed themselves for a basic *** piece of garbage) and selling those to the bovine masses, than if it put tech and flight plates and zoom air into an actual quality shoe.

All this is largely nonsense anyway, for the fact that one simple question destroys this whole argument. Are the Kobes that so many basketball players at all levels (pro, college, high school, casual) are buying and playing in retro, or performance? They're performance basketball shoes, because a ton of people still profess it's one of the best basketball shoes they ever played in. It's not like they're out there hooping in Air Max Plus like Arenas, or playing in obscure Reeboks like Trez, or Air Max 90s like Thabo. And what brings this back to the relevance of this thread is that part of things might be that lows are a shoes hoopers want to hoop in, rather than highs or mids. Lebron, KD & Steph have been the best players in the league for a dozen plus years. Kawhi just got a sig. Stephs are mids. Brons are mids or highs and the lows are still heavy as hell. KD has mids and lows, Kyrie has mids and lows, but importantly, those two guys shoes have historically run super super narrow. Hell I have a pair of 13s rotting in my closet for that very reason. Anybody want a pair of played-in-once black KD 13s? :lol:

Not even going to start with the athleisure thing that Nike committed to that UA is firmly against, that also factors into sales, because Nike just wants more customers and doesn't care if actual athletes find their products quality across the board. I'm trying to write this and watch Brooklyn get swept so I'm going to cut it short but suffice to say, there's nothing wrong with basketball shoes. They're selling just fine.

So Nike is making Luka's lows. If you don't think that's right, I've got a bet for you. Lukas release June 30th, barring a push back. It's 8:50 eastern time as I post this. June 30th, and the next day is July 1st. If there's a size 13 in the Lukas available on NDC at 8:50pm on July 1st, I won't post here the whole of July. If there's no size 13 available on NDC at 8:50pm on July 1st, You can't post on NT the entire month of July.

If you're confident in what you say, put your "money" where your mouth is.

(if the shoes get pushed back, we'll cancel the bet)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to see what happens as the Celtics sweep the team Vegas predicted to win the championship, in the first round :wow:

Cheers!

Your original statement: "Performance basketball sneakers, especially at higher pricepoints are not selling well. "

The video you cited uses NPD group data and the pullquote: "After peaking this decade at $1.3 billion in 2015, sales of non-retro basketball sneakers generated only around $800 million in 2019"

So from it's all time high of 1,300,000,000, sales went to 800,000,000. That isn't "not selling well".

So Nike is making Luka's lows. If you don't think that's right, I've got a bet for you. Lukas release June 30th, barring a push back. It's 8:50 eastern time as I post this. June 30th, and the next day is July 1st. If there's a size 13 in the Lukas available on NDC at 8:50pm on July 1st, I won't post here the whole of July. If there's no size 13 available on NDC at 8:50pm on July 1st, You can't post on NT the entire month of July.
An over 30% decrease in sales over 4 years = “selling well”?

Also, of course those Lukas are going to sellout, you think they would be dumb enough to flood the market with the 1st cw of arguably their most valuable young player? That’s a TERRIBLE business strategy tbh. They have to establish the brand, Nike/JB have come a LONG way since 1985 Jordan 1s were discounted (and those still sold really well) they’re not going to do that with this shoe lol

Anyways, that was completely besides the point-those stats are about how the performance basketball market has diminished as a whole, not because Kobes are hyped now because the dude is dead and Nike stopped producing his shoes, etc. If anything, performance basketball sales have also likely diminished because of cheaper models cannibalizing more expensive models (I.e. Kyries vs mainline performance Jordans) but I’m just going by overall sales here. You mentioned the athleisure trend and I definitely think it had some impact on the casual wear aspect of performance basketball sales but I don’t think it’s as pronounced as the competition within the performance basketball market itself:

“Nick DePaula, who covers the sneaker industry for ESPN, thinks Nike became a victim of its own success with its most popular models.

He also believes the seeds of today’s industry issues were planted around the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

“After the Beijing Olympics Nike had the Kobe 4, LeBron 7 and Kd 4 and those models had a lot of great themes, great colorways, great storytelling and really took off as those guys were accomplishing a lot on the court,” DePaula told MarketWatch. “That was the post-Jordan resurgence for Nike basketball.”

Since then, “Nike got very aggressive and elevated the prices for all of those lines, and started to price some people out,” says DePaula.”

Last edited:
Too many sigs out here. The main line annual jordan model has been consistently one of the best looking sneakers on court for years. Even though they’ve been held back by this having to have elements from whatever came 30 years prior that they’ve done since the 31 IMO. The retro elements have been the worst aspects of each of these models. 31 would’ve been better without the swoosh (and huge jumpman), 35 would have been better with a different tongue, and 36 would have been better without the spoiler. Designs over at JB are putting in work and the marketing team is holding them back.

You are the only person ive ever heard say anything like this. This is mad actually. :lol:

Main line annual Jordan models have been mostly TRASH for years. 36 has been one of the better looking models, and thats not saying much.

I’m so sick of this argument. There was a time when the masses thought patent leather and mesh couldn’t be worn casually. MJ himself called black/red 1s ugly when they released. People buy plastic Kobes like Turbo Man. Flyknit took over the world when it came out. If the shoe is good it will sell.

This another one. What? :lol:

Newer basketball shoes for the most part have absolutely 0 casual appeal. Look GREAT on the court, these Lukas for example, but no one wears it casually. Of course, theres some exceptions: ie wearing some low cut new shoe with a cool color with shorts. With pants? Naw bruv.

As far as how much that impacts sales, I dont know how much but im sure it does a bit. People buy their casual shoes and then their ball kicks and keep it seperate.

Newer basketball shoes for the most part have absolutely 0 casual appeal. Look GREAT on the court, these Lukas for example, but no one wears it casually. Of course, theres some exceptions: ie wearing some low cut new shoe with a cool color with shorts. With pants? Naw bruv.

As far as how much that impacts sales, I dont know how much but im sure it does a bit. People buy their casual shoes and then their ball kicks and keep it seperate.
I agree recent performance shoes have zero casual appeal. But in general I don’t agree they look good on court either. My point is it doesn’t always have to be that way just cuz we’re in the retro era. Leather isn’t the only material that can be worn casually. We can’t act like non-leather Kobes and LeBrons weren’t worn casually by the masses 2009-2014 and knit performance runners weren’t worn casually by the masses 2012-2017. If the sneaker is good I’m wearing it. Period. I don’t care that tiktokers traded in their 350s for Panda dunks and 550s.

But as far as sales… you’re right. On a large scale brands will only move units if the shoe is on TikTok.

I’m not saying it’s not a certain way now. I’m just saying it hasn’t always been that way and doesn’t have to always be that way. I’d imagine most people (at least from my generation) are here in the first place because sneakers transcended the court. And those sneakers weren’t always leather.

I absolutely agree that there seems to be little crossover from casual kicks and modern performance kicks. This is wild because, back in the day (especially when MJ was in the league, even during his Wizards days), this was definitely not an issue.
I agree recent performance shoes have zero casual appeal. But in general I don’t agree they look good on court either. My point is it doesn’t always have to be that way just cuz we’re in the retro era. Leather isn’t the only material that can be worn casually. We can’t act like non-leather Kobes and LeBrons weren’t worn casually by the masses 2009-2014 and knit performance runners weren’t worn casually by the masses 2012-2017. If the sneaker is good I’m wearing it. Period. I don’t care that tiktokers traded in their 350s for Panda dunks and 550s.

But as far as sales… you’re right. On a large scale brands will only move units if the shoe is on TikTok.

I’m not saying it’s not a certain way now. I’m just saying it hasn’t always been that way and doesn’t have to always be that way. I’d imagine most people (at least from my generation) are here in the first place because sneakers transcended the court. And those sneakers weren’t always leather.
Problem is, how many modern performance kicks look good with a pair of jeans? The full synthetic/plastic fused uppers just don’t go well with jeans. This isn’t to say leather is the end all be all of casual wear uppers either-canvas and cotton/mesh knits work well with simple casual kicks for casual wear.

FOG 1s were supposed to be a performance model, although Idk how good they actually were on court but they looked decent with the full leather upper and relatively simple tooling design (I.e. without 5 zoom units protruding out, etc.).

One could argue the lack of innovation in modern performance sneakers is what made them lose their casual appeal. Because when fused uppers and big air units first hit the court those models were absolutely worn with jeans. It’s just that style/tech got stale. People will always find a way to wear new materials/tech casually. It’s happened in every era. Visible air units, cross-trainer straps, Huarache sock liners, foamposite, Shox, flywire, hyperfuse, flyknit, boost, vapormax, 4D. There just hasn’t been anything new in 5 years.

So from it's all time high of 1,300,000,000, sales went to 800,000,000. That isn't "not selling well". Trust me, I'd love it if you were right and performance basketball shoes were easily obtainable in whatever colorway I wanted. The truth of the situation is closer to Nike realizing it could get more profits from making Roshe Runs (and I hated that dumb *** trend during it and watched as a bunch of idiots killed themselves for a basic *** piece of garbage) and selling those to the bovine masses, than if it put tech and flight plates and zoom air into an actual quality shoe.

All this is largely nonsense anyway, for the fact that one simple question destroys this whole argument. Are the Kobes that so many basketball players at all levels (pro, college, high school, casual) are buying and playing in retro, or performance? They're performance basketball shoes, because a ton of people still profess it's one of the best basketball shoes they ever played in. It's not like they're out there hooping in Air Max Plus like Arenas, or playing in obscure Reeboks like Trez, or Air Max 90s like Thabo. And what brings this back to the relevance of this thread is that part of things might be that lows are a shoes hoopers want to hoop in, rather than highs or mids. Lebron, KD & Steph have been the best players in the league for a dozen plus years. Kawhi just got a sig. Stephs are mids. Brons are mids or highs and the lows are still heavy as hell. KD has mids and lows, Kyrie has mids and lows, but importantly, those two guys shoes have historically run super super narrow. Hell I have a pair of 13s rotting in my closet for that very reason. Anybody want a pair of played-in-once black KD 13s? :lol:

Not even going to start with the athleisure thing that Nike committed to that UA is firmly against, that also factors into sales, because Nike just wants more customers and doesn't care if actual athletes find their products quality across the board. I'm trying to write this and watch Brooklyn get swept so I'm going to cut it short but suffice to say, there's nothing wrong with basketball shoes. They're selling just fine.

If you're confident in what you say, put your "money" where your mouth is.

(if the shoes get pushed back, we'll cancel the bet)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to see what happens as the Celtics sweep the team Vegas predicted to win the championship, in the first round :wow:

!

Well obv Nike is gonna make more money off a shoe like a Roshe Run (lol at using this old shoe as an example but whatever) than a sport specific shoe, like basketball shoes. Theres alot more average joes out there than “athletes” so idk why theres a mystery there. Thats where Nike really gets you, they make people really think their athletes, and these “athletes” need the best of the best. To an extent, yes thats true people are looking for performance shoes but really, tech in these shoes is overrated. Its 90% marketing making you think youre getting this performance product, cause now were magically athletes. :lol:

As far as actual athletes go, they hoop in the latest shoes yeah but them guys will also generally hoop in whatever feels comfy for them, doesnt matter what “tech” is in it.

I dont get your athleisure comment. Whats are you even trying to say? Nike spending/investing too much into athleisure? Nike got money, if they werent doing invested in all that, there still woudnt be more shoes for us. :lol:

^ I don't even care to rehash the discussion honestly. The video linked actually mentioned the Roshe's but that was long an annoyance for me because people acted like it was the second coming. Whatever you're saying about athleisure isn't the point I was making, but again, not even trying to rehash and relitigate all this.

Just want to see some new colorways of this shoe, and it doesn't feel like we're going to get any.

They remind me of the xix low a lot
Screenshot_20220503-061808_Google.jpg

Back
Top Bottom