Jordan Retro 13 "He Got Game" August 4th 2018 *UPDATED*

My point being ya'll calling those a nickname which makes just asuch of a point as HGG. That simple

I'm not "ya'll" calling any shoes by nicknames other than literal descriptions like "black toes." But I get your point, fair enough. However, in my opinion, calling a shoe something like "playoffs" or "All-Stars" is a lot more appropriate--for convenience sake, and far more historically accurate--than calling these HGGs. Let's start calling white/cement 4s "Do The Right Thing's," then :rolleyes

Out of nowhere? It’s the same time every year unless you let it expire and get ticketed for it.

My car is registered in another state. Been that way for years. Now all of a sudden they wont let me renew my registration so i have to register in my resident state. A 40 dollar renew turned into 600 dollars tags title inspection i was not expecting

I'm not "ya'll" calling any shoes by nicknames other than literal descriptions like "black toes." But I get your point, fair enough. However, in my opinion, calling a shoe something like "playoffs" or "All-Stars" is a lot more appropriate--for convenience sake, and far more historically accurate--than calling these HGGs. Let's start calling white/cement 4s "Do The Right Thing's," then :rolleyes
Sure, not like JB hasn't acknowledged DTRT with a special limited version of the ones from the movie anyway :lol:

Sure, not like JB hasn't acknowledged DTRT with a special limited version of the ones from the movie anyway :lol:

:lol:
Dude, I think we're talking about different aspects here. I totally get that if you want to say all nicknames are silly, that's fine. ALL I SAID was that the seemingly widespread use of labelling this shoe HGG is dopey. It has so little to do with this 13. My post you originally replied to, I said HGG had nothing to do with why I like and want this shoe. So we aren't even arguing in reality. I suppose it is splitting hairs but nicknames like "All Stars" and "playoffs"--which I don't personally use--at least are related to MJ and the shoe's history with the guy in the actual NBA and his career. Anyway, carry on. Not even mad about it, but I think you missed part of my original point. All good.

None of the European sites (sneak-a-venue, kickz, sneakersnstuff etc.) have any mention of this shoe releasing on Saturday, so I’m guessing the August 4th release is U.S. only?

ALL I SAID was that the seemingly widespread use of labelling this shoe HGG is dopey. It has so little to do with this 13.

For context... I was a kid when these first came out and I got them for Christmas.

The way I would identify them when describing them to someone else would be "hey have you seen those 13's?" To which most reasonable people would say "which color?" At which point I would attempt to give the most detailed and efficient description which in this case would be to call these the He Got Games.

I think to a lot of people calling these the He Got Games is just convenient and efficient and Nike KNOWS that. If you call them the black toes or just reference the colors on the box that could create some confusion because this wasn't the only colorway with a black toe.

It's not "dopey" at all and to say that it has little to do with this 13 considering how widely known Denzel Washington is, and how many people saw that movie when these came out, is disingenuous on your part.

He Got Game can go take a hike. I first bought these shoes because Mike wore them. The He Got Game name came much later. The shoes were already popular before that overrated Spike Lee movie.

6CC79756-3BF4-4868-A903-E1516968A6A3.gif

It doesn't matter what you call them. But you can't neglect the basketball culture contributions from spike lee. From "she's gotta have it, to do the right thing and he got game" spike lee has had influence to basketball culture being filmed through his vision.
Don't forget thier were other iconic Nike sneakers in the movie and Nike did the "he got game" pack a few years ago.

Foamposites ring a bell!

F20EF6B0-78BE-43B3-BB9E-C97E8852D5D3.jpeg

if somebody called these the he got games in real life i would cringe

its just a marketing ploy by stores, resellers, and hypebeast to create a certain story of importance to make the shoe more profitable.

at the time of he got game nike inserted the shoe into the movie for advertisement purposes

we all know denzel could give a **** about jordans because he was in his 30’s before a single air jordan was ever created. his generation was rocking converse allstars because thats all they had back then. in reality when ol boy told him how much they cost he would have lost his **** and told the ***** you better go back in there and get me something for 25 bucks before i beat the breaks off your zesty lookin *** lol

It doesn't matter what you call them. But you can't neglect the basketball culture contributions from spike lee. From "she's gotta have it, to do the right thing and he got game" spike lee has had influence to basketball culture being filmed through his vision.
Don't forget thier were other iconic Nike sneakers in the movie and Nike did the "he got game" pack a few years ago.

Foamposites ring a bell!

F20EF6B0-78BE-43B3-BB9E-C97E8852D5D3.jpeg
but nobody calls the foamposite pro the he got games. why is that?

if somebody called these the he got games in real life i would cringe

its just a marketing ploy by stores, resellers, and hypebeast to create a certain story of importance to make the shoe more profitable.

at the time of he got game nike inserted the shoe into the movie for advertisement purposes

we all know denzel could give a **** about jordans because he was in his 30’s before a single air jordan was ever created. his generation was rocking converse allstars because thats all they had back then. in reality when ol boy told him how much they cost he would have lost his **** and told the ***** you better go back in there and get me something for 25 bucks before i beat the breaks off your zesty lookin *** lol
pull up
I'll tell it to your face

Denzel the smoothest mf ever Im cool with rocking some ish he bought in the movie and saving myself 20 seconds explaining what black toe j im talking about. They could be called the urkel 13s for all i care.

I hate the HGG nickname, hate the cherry nickname even more

Must be cringing at every post so far. We know the movie came out after the shoe release. We get it. But the movie did come out during that shoe’s release period, so if ppl want to associate the shoe with the movie or vice versa, let them be. Bickering over a NICKNAME of a SHOE kind of shows how spoiled we are.

but nobody calls the foamposite pro the he got games. why is that?
They are called the “pearls” but few people will still reference them off the movie.

But your right it’s Nike using their marketing strategy to sell them. Which Nike is known for having the best marketing strategy in athletic sports apparel.

This was the first time I ever saw these.
In slam magazine
It was a big deal, everyone wanted to see them lol
I remember thinking 150 was wild...first Jordan that was 150

EVERYONE wanted the iversons tho
20180803_063406.jpg

Your right people blew their minds when they heard about the $150 price tag. Same thing when the 17s were announced to be $200 at least it came with a brief case box.

Last edited:
Why do people analyze a nickname? Ive never heard anybody say why isnt only built for cuban linx called the the "purple tape or standard grey colored tape"

The only way I could see the level of complaining justified would be if like the movie actually had some taxis and it was a nickname that was flat inaccurate or something to that effect. Ths fact the movie came out after is meaningless it was still during the shoes original hype run and basically a freakin promotion for the shoe. Its a sneaker purist pet peeve. No more substance to it then that.

and nicknames are convenience things to start. We all know what HGG means so id say it serves its purpose

Back
Top Bottom