Jordan XI first impressions vs. 13 years later...

Dude get it right, when Jordan wore these and they televised them, people were wanting these NOW, unfortunately the only ones that existed were the ones on MJ.They produced them and released them quickly and the rest is history. The "BRED" story, get outta here wit that.........the Concords arefire
wink.gif

first off it was not the first basketball shoe to have patent leather

way back in the early 80's they came out with patent leather Adidas and Nike's and they were sweet for the people who know
back when run d.m.c was king and people were break dancing on cardboard . that was the good old days
when it was cool for you and your boy to wear matching Adidas sweatsuits and patent leather Adidas's and carry around a big @@% radio

that was the early 80's before Jordan ever released a pair of shoes but all you youngsters wouldn't know nothing about that most of you weren'teven born yet

to answer the part about if the 11's were liked when they came out . i can say this , i 've had 2 or 3 pairs of every og Jordan ever made , you name itand i most likely had it and
had it first. i can tell you at least were i grew up at in b-more that most of the people use to say that most Jordan's were ugly and how could you spendthat much money for shoes
but then a few weeks later you would see people wearing them , so it just took some time for them to grow on people and it was the same for the 11's. mostpeople didn't like the patent leather and the shoe's took some time to grow on people but when the black and reds came out that was it everybody waswearing them. by that time i was on my second pair of Concords because for me i didn't care what people said weather they liked Jordan's or not i hadto have every pair i could get. if Jordan was wearing them i had to have them
and that's how it was back then you couldn't wait to see what Jordan was wearing so you could go and get them. that was the great days of Jordan'sfor me and i only wish the young guys who really love Jordan's could have known those feelings . there was nothing like watching Jordan and dominiquebattle in the 88 dunk contest and watching jordan jump from the foul line wearing the 3's and you had on the same pair and going crazy when he won. thenrunning out to the b-ball court and trying to be like mike , but thats what the shoes did they made you feel like you were on a hole nother level. that was thegood old days and if you were never there then you will never understand.........peace

^^Ya i realize it wasn't the first to have patent leather. I said it pretty much was and what i meant by that is it was one of the first basketball shoesof the 90s to have it and it wasn't really big back then

yeah the 11's werent the first 1's with patent leather on them. but just the fact that both nike and jordan handled the entire ad campaign was anincredible experience, and very fun at that. here in nyc when looking at the shoe at first glance we were like ehhhhhhhhh. but after mike put them bad boys onohhhhhhhhhh my goooooooooood. ny went nuts. i love the history behind the shoe. the fact that mike came back from retirement, he was too slow, older, didnthave it anymore, orlando eliminated the bulls in the playoffs, just mad stuff. then when he and the new bulls came back ohhhhhhhh jesus. 72-10 bustingeverybodys butt on the couurt. wow what a year what a shoe. what a great experience.. i miss those days badly. i am lot older but that year is timeless. if youkids were there to witness it. wow

^ I did witness the 72-10 season, and that era of basketball in general was so great in so many ways.. I still have a pair of OG concords from back in the day,and they remain one of my favorites to this day.

Originally Posted by Black Star

Ive liked them since 96 when I was a little kid and went into footaction trying to find the spacejam color way.I left with the breds tho.

i wonder why you did not find the space jamz.....lolz

Originally Posted by Me4u2Night

The XI's were ahead of their time. Like many things ahead of it's time, people didn't get it. That's why it sat on the shelves for so long. No one liked them when they originally came out. No one got the concept. When did you see patent leather on sneakers back then??? NEVER!!! It was when patent leather started becoming popular, people started flooding to the stores trying to get their hands on a pair of XI's.
Couldn't agree more... The XI's were probably the MOST AGRESSIVELY DESIGNED shoethat Jordan Brand has ever had before the XX3...

Yes, you heard me right... I believe the XX3 will be the next best loved shoe behind the XI for years to come...

The "Concord" XI was the shoe that turned me into an official shoefanatic and for that I will always appreciate them even after I retire next year.

I guarantee the post starter is just stating a bunch of stuff that he learned here on NT. Regardless out in NYC the XIs blew up I saw them pretty much at everystreet tournament around. At least one person had them on the court was also I of the dopest street shoes you could rock other then the AF1

i remember seeing them too on TV I was 10 yrs old! Then seeing them at footlocker and my mom said why by "Michael Jordan shoes those are ugly" Now Ihave a whole room full of jordans in my momma's house!!

I didnt notice them until it was sold out too. At that time, the Bred was still available over here, I dont really like them. But I love the concords, as I wasalso collecting trading cards at that time, there were tons of cards featuring MJ in the concords, as that was his full comeback season. And he really made theconcords looks great in those cards! That's how I started to take notice of the concords. I told myself I must get a pair when they retroed these. It didnttake Nike long to retro them, and I bought 3 pairs!

I remember not liking the OG at first because of the patent leather. I was in college when these originally released. But the really grew on me quickly, asthey obviously did with everyone as well. When I went to get them, everyone was sold out. I lucked onto a pair at Dillards of all places, & the onlyreason they had them is because I wear a large size. All they had left was sizes 8 & 14. Imagine Dillards carrying Jordan's now. The shoe looksawesome & the cushioning is off the charts, but the fit of this shoe isn't that great. It has a really square boxey fit, & it is tough to get thetop laces tight enough for support without them looking funny. But if you balled in these with ankle braces, they were money as far as the ankle fit went..

i happy about the 11s but all i really want is the twelves the 11s
are just to have another pair. Sadly i don't have either colorway of the 2 shoes
coming out so im happy.

I read an interview with MJ after the XIII came out and he said he thought the AJ line came into a new era of technology with the XI, that it was so manylevels above the X.

i recently bought the concord 11's and there amazing ive loved the 11's since the first time ive seen them and im going to love the cdp 11's to

I was in junior high when these first dropped. It was pretty much the same here in the Bay Area. I never seen people with these until the blk/red color wayreleased. I can honnestly say that I never saw anyone with a pair of concords on their feet until the 2000 retro.

I have the dmp and the bred 11s.I like em but not my favorite js of all time like most people.My favs are 3,4,5 and 6s.

the XIs and the XX3s are the only shoes i stared at and thought " damn the design is incredible"

Originally Posted by mvpd3434

I can remember MJ first wearing the concord XI during his playoff series against the Orlando Magic. Even though it was the playoffs he wore them anyway and was fined if I am not mistaken. I remember months later when the Concords came out only one friend having them. They sat on shelves collecting dust. It wasnt until the BReds came out months after, that the perception began to change. They didnt even sell out first day! I myself didnt think of them as a good looking shoe until that following summer of 96 and by that time they were all gone. They were widely regarded as an unattractive shoe from the people I know and asked about, but...

Now they are widely regarded as the best shoe ever made looks wise. I myself wouldnt mind if the concords were a yearly or bi yearly release. being that its like a white/white AF1 in the sense that you only can get a certain amount of wears out of them and then they just lose their "crispness".

I am a guy that has had over 200 pairs of DS or NDS kicks at one time. I dont collect anymore...but i do have a few kicks still in stock. For all of you older shoe heads from around the country I was wondering if it was the same where you were from? I am from SoCal btw.

Concords didnt sit on San Diego shelves longer than release day @ all malls back in the day... 11/12 Pack iz the best pack of 2008 HANDS Down...

Back
Top Bottom