Jordans and kids

My wife is a second grade teacher and she runs into that a lot. HArdest thing for her is she isnt allowed to give her kids gifts like that, its against faculty rules. But she has pictures of her and I on her desk and kids see the Jordans I have on and all they do is ask her about shoes now because they saw I wear them lol So now she comes home like I never should have put those pics on my desk all the kids talk about are shoes!

Good story though man, I remember my first pair was similar my mom could never afford them so my grandfather took me to get a pair of the first Reebok pumps because I had to have them as the pump made you run faster and jump higher. I wore those things to sleep!!

damnm u got a good heart that lil boy gon remember that for the rest of his life when he is old enough to buy his own he is gone think back bet his parents were happy and confused at the same time
tell him to keep em clean lol

Originally Posted by teekay

man you made that kids year! Nice story. I own 60 pairs of shoes but nothing compares to being a kid getting a new pair of kicks and beating them into the ground

AMEN!

Great story man. That kid will remember u 4ever. I remember I was in 5th grade I gave my nephew my navy XIII lows cause they didnt fit me anymore & he cut the metal jumpmans off each shoe.
mad.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif

good story, even better heart and intentions. Whenever u have an opportunity and means to help someone out in need, and u take advantage of it, it makes that person's day/week/month/year. and feeling that good about yourself for what u did is better than having that little extra cash in your pocket. That's a good thing u did.

man op u a good man, long story when i used to stay at my moms  little dude that stayed next door would see me come home with bags of kicks and would ask to see them,id show him and he would always say these are cool,he was like i want some but i never payed no mind to him,fast forward little dude and his mom got hit by a car while walking to the store,his mom passed and he was left with his dad which is a drunk,for about a month i kept thinking bout this kid,so i bought him the blk/yellow 1s on an EA,went to pick him up to get a haircut then sent him home to get cleaned up, i put my blk/yellow 1s and when he came back he was like those are cool, i was like u like them he was like yea i said here,man little dude was so excited he was trying to put them on while they was still laced tight lol,had to show him how to do it ,ive got him pants shirts other kicks ,little dude does good in school always real respectful and helps my mom with the trash and lawn,my mom tells me i have a big heart and that makes me want to tear up.SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY OP U THE MAN

It's stories like this from teachers in the school system that really make me happy. It's tough as a teacher, and when I read stories like these, I really am grateful to have teachers like you in our school system. It's refreshing and also great to see that you are actually making a difference in your school.

Thank you OP for making an impact on our youth. Even if it was the simplest thing such as getting a child his first pair of Jordans.

JonnyKwest wrote:
Great story man. That kid will remember u 4ever. I remember I was in 5th grade I gave my nephew my navy XIII lows cause they didnt fit me anymore & he cut the metal jumpmans off each shoe.
mad.gif
smh.gif
mad.gif

I us to pop my j's air bags with a pin when I was done wearing them.  OG iii, iv, v & vi's, these are childhood memories that keep me up late at night.   That is a great story and shows us why Jordan Brand will never go away.  Most of us on here wouldn't give those Jeter's a first look, but for this young man, they will always be his holy grail.    

Good story OP and you have a big heart.

Just to play devils advocate here, but aren't we (sneakers heads) to blame for this kids mentality? If we didn't put the hype behind J's and other name brand kicks, the kid would feel just fine with his payless sneakers.

I always feel bad when I see kids wearing no name brand sneakers that are run to the ground becuase i'm sure they get a raw deal at school with kids picking on them.

Growing up my parents couldn't always afford to get me name brand stuff. I remember my mom taking me to Fayva (mid 80's to early 90's payless type store) when they will have their buy one get one free or half off sales. My mom would even make me get sneakers a size smaller just because they were on sale. My favorite sneakers from there had a bull with horns logo. I knew what jordans were and all that and i appreciated them even more so when I got a pair as a kid. Now that i'm older I send my old kicks to family in colombia. Instead of having sneakers colloect dust in my closet and just give them away. The freshest pair i gave away were a pair of retro olympic VII's. I didn't even have them for a year. They were half a size too small so I just gave them up.

And it irks me even more when kids go an buy fakes just to fit it. oh well, sorry for the rant.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Just to play devils advocate here, but aren't we (sneakers heads) to blame for this kids mentality? If we didn't put the hype behind J's and other name brand kicks, the kid would feel just fine with his payless sneakers.

I always feel bad when I see kids wearing no name brand sneakers that are run to the ground becuase i'm sure they get a raw deal at school with kids picking on them.

Growing up my parents couldn't always afford to get me name brand stuff. I remember my mom taking me to Fayva (mid 80's to early 90's payless type store) when they will have their buy one get one free or half off sales. My mom would even make me get sneakers a size smaller just because they were on sale. My favorite sneakers from there had a bull with horns logo. I knew what jordans were and all that and i appreciated them even more so when I got a pair as a kid.

And it irks me even more when kids go an buy fakes just to fit it. oh well, sorry for the rant.

No, I remember going to school in my OG iv's in the late 80's and being ridiculed for having them at first.  Kids will always be kids and I would put more blame towards their parent's then popular shoes. 

Originally Posted by PRIME1984

Growing up my parents couldn't always afford to get me name brand stuff. I remember my mom taking me to Fayva (mid 80's to early 90's payless type store) when they will have their buy one get one free or half off sales. My mom would even make me get sneakers a size smaller just because they were on sale. My favorite sneakers from there had a bull with horns logo. I knew what jordans were and all that and i appreciated them even more so when I got a pair as a kid.

No, I remember going to school in my OG iv's in the late 80's and being ridiculed for having them at first.  Kids will always be kids and I would put more blame towards their parent's then popular shoes. 

Who would ridicule you? The kids? or Adults for having expensive sneakers? If no one cared about J's and what not, would the kid in OP's story still have said "one day i'll have sneakers like that"? And how can you blame a parent for buying their kids payless sneakers? The kid can't control what he wears.

Originally Posted by PRIME1984

Who would ridicule you? The kids? or Adults for having expensive sneakers? If no one cared about J's and what not, would the kid in OP's story still have said "one day i'll have sneakers like that"? And how can you blame a parent for buying their kids payless sneakers? The kid can't control what he wears.

The kids that can't afford them, these kids would call my red/ black iv's Spiderman shoes.  If  parents that are buying their kids the popular shoes, took some time to educate their kids that not everybody can afford popular shoes, there would be less hatered.  My father took the time to teach me that just because your wearing these shoes doesn't make you better then anyone.  He also knew (being a former college basketball player himself) that what makes you feel better, makes you play better, and back then it was very hard to find people that purchased shoes to collect dust and yellow. Who said anything about blaming parents for not being able to afford expensive shoes.  Then you have a guy like my brother who was so popular in school, he made wearing Pro Wings the thing to do at Hollywood High in the late 80s. 

Prime -

Time have changed since the late 80's and mid 90's. Now every kid knows what jordans are. And you're right about the parents needing to teach their kids values, but as cosumers we still hype up a pair of sneakers.

This stuff makes me tear up, I'm fortunate too have all these pairs of shoes while other kids don't.
When I get older I will help other kids get shoes, I swear.

Back
Top Bottom