Kanye West: King of the Sunken Place, "Watch the Throne"

Has this been posted? The TI track with Ye.

https://dbr.ee/A7r6
tenor.gif

I’m dead @ this Lift Yourself joint. :lol:

This cat really does the most for some attention.

Lowkey that beat is kinda fire.

Hell na, beat trash. Not even mastered or mixed well. All he did was add some jersey/bmore club bass and played with the vocal sample to make sound like a synth. Trash

It sounds like he waited for all the Twitter responses then quickly threw that track together. Without being mixed or mastered as mentioned.

Track is so struggle. Its like hes trying to be a fake woke contrarian right wing Kendrick/Jcole.

"Poopedy scoop.
Woopie de poop de scoop.
Poop Poop, whoop. de scoop de woop.
De whoopedy poopedy, scoopedy.
de scoop de poop.”

:wow:

This.

Unfortunately I don't think this will ever penetrate their thickened skulls.

People who lean right generally don't give two goddamns about anyone outside their immediate circle. They're narcissistic and self-absorbed by nature. It's the way they're wired.

So....when folks who lean left express generic concern about social issues, the right immediately assume we're talking about our own personal issues.

As evidenced by this thread. Most, if not all of us, are educated and financially secure. But because we express concern for the less privileged, we're suddenly brokebois.

The thing that annoys me the most about the "pull yourself by your bootstraps" crowd is that they ignore the fact that perception plays a major role in how people are assessed. The negative perception of Black people in this country is behind the thinking that Black folks only get admitted to college because of Affirmative Action; it is also behind the idea that we are not committed to our jobs, our families, and our communities.

Because of that, even when they do everything right, black people still face an uphill battle, as evidenced by stats that show that a black person with a college degree and no negative encounters with the law is as likely to get a job as a white person with a high school degree and time in jail, or stats about a black person's parental wealth not guaranteeing their own wealth. In business, it is the same thing as those negative assumptions are built in the way black people's credit worthiness is assessed.

We are not just playing with different hands, we are playing the same game with different sets of rules, and that is not ok. If I have the same profile as some random white dude, I shouldn't have to pay more interest on my loans, and I should be paid as much as he does. Nobody should be OK with being undervalued.

The thing that annoys me the most about the "pull yourself by your bootstraps" crowd is that they ignore the fact that perception plays a major role in how people are assessed. The negative perception of Black people in this country is behind the thinking that Black folks only get admitted to college because of Affirmative Action; it is also behind the idea that we are not committed to our jobs, our families, and our communities.

Because of that, even when they do everything right, black people still face an uphill battle, as evidenced by stats that show that a black person with a college degree and no negative encounters with the law is as likely to get a job as a white person with a high school degree and time in jail, or stats about a black person's parental wealth not guaranteeing their own wealth. In business, it is the same thing as those negative assumptions are built in the way black people's credit worthiness is assessed.

We are not just playing with different hands, we are playing the same game with different sets of rules, and that is not ok. If I have the same profile as some random white dude, I shouldn't have to pay more interest on my loans, and I should be paid as much as he does. Nobody should be OK with being undervalued.

Life is “unfair” for a lot of reasons when it comes to socioeconomics and upward social mobility. Race donesnt get to be one of those reasons. Some of y’all act like being black is like having to accept living life with your hand tied behind your back because life isn’t fair.

Last edited:
dumbest ish i read all day.

this is Tier 0 a1 Identity politics :lol:

especially when you take into account da economy & black unemployment #'s

Is identity politics a bad thing when liberals do it? Because it is the raison d'etre of the GOP. It is why today you can still find among their ranks people who want to overturn Brown vs Board of education. It is the reason why white supremacists who want to live in an America for Whites only find traction within the base of the right. Identity politics was the reason for redlining. Identity politics was the reason for destroying black neighborhoods to build the interstate system. Identity politics was the reason for selectively denying the GI Bill to Black veterans of WWII.

With all due respect, F O H with the hypocrisy.

Oh, and about the economy:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...d-in-first-quarter-after-trumps-15tn-tax-cuts

GDP rose from January through March at a lower level than the third and fourth quarters, despite Trump’s promises cuts would boost it
In car talk, it means that the economy decelerated. I'm sure you know what happens to the speed of an object when its acceleration becomes negative.

aka play da hand u was delt and play it well, preach.

da irony of this thread is its nothing but minorities telling each other that their world view dont matter :lol:
I think what's being suggested is that your worldview is incomplete. If you acknowledge that White privilege exists, it's not necessary to suggest that a White person's experiences are dishonest or irrelevant if they don't think they've ever experienced White privilege. White privilege is presented as the default or normative experience in America. We all know how the public institutions are intended to work. We all know how the police are supposed to interact with citizens, for example. If your experiences match the way things are supposed to be, why would that feel like privilege? If you're hired or given a loan, you won't be told that it's because of your race. You'll be told, or you'll assume, that you earned it. Privilege would be as conspicuous to you as the presence of water to a fish. Only in its absence would you notice it.

If we want to better understand society, we need to view it from as many different perspectives as possible. We can't understand society as a whole from any one perspective or vantage point. The goal, then, is to synthesize and make sense of the varied ways in which we all experience society.

It's like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

parable-perspective-is-everything.jpg

If you've never experienced racism, that doesn't invalidate the experiences of those who have.

To put it more bluntly, in this case it's a bit like saying, "You must be imagining things. I've been kissing this elephant's backside my whole life and I've never seen anyone gored by a tusk." You wouldn't, from where you're standing.

OK.. Your first statement. About crime being illegal. I don’t understand your point. My point was that if it’s happening, as these fine folks in here say it is, then show me. It’s gotta be easy considering how much of a big problem it is. They can’t show me because it doesn’t exist.
You're saying that discrimination can't happen because it's illegal. All crimes are illegal. Does crime not exist?

If you made even the most basic effort to research incidences of employment discrimination, you could find more than one example. It's the epitome of privilege to sit back and say, "it's your responsibility to convince me of this discrimination of which you speak!"

If you truly value education, if you believe in holding informed viewpoints, it's incumbent upon you to make the effort. Employers can conjure up all manner of justifications to mask discriminatory behavior. "Wasn't a culture fit." "Had a bad attitude." A person need not be explicitly motivated by prejudice to behave in discriminatory ways. Subconscious biases are more than sufficient.

Nobody knows everything. I couldn't tell you the first thing about rugby, but I don't pretend otherwise and I have no reason to criticize a rugby player for their performance in a sport I couldn't care less about.

You're judging people based on uninformed assumptions regarding a subject you've made no serious effort to understand. It's ridiculous to say "nobody can show me proof that employment discrimination exists" when any computer-literate person could locate such evidence in under thirty seconds using the Internet.

https://www1.eeoc.gov//eeoc/initiatives/e-race/caselist.cfm?renderforprint=1

1) Yeah maybe true. But I’ve been there and done that. I know that I barely saw any white dudes in the game. And if what you say is correct, then I would still have a better chance at catching a black man with drugs then a white person considering the population difference. No? Black men only make up 6% of the population but the white boys only have 33% higher chance?!
It seems you don't understand the distinction between relative and absolute percentages. It's perfectly reasonable to think, "of course more White people in America use drugs, because there are more White people in general." Black Americans make up about 12.7% of the population, an 12.5% of drug users, yet 29% of those arrested and 33% of those imprisoned for drug offenses are Black: http://www.naacp.org/criminal-justice-fact-sheet/

The 33% statistic you're referring to is a relative statistic. Think of a population survey group like a roulette wheel. On a typical roulette wheel, 47.36% of spaces are black and 47.36% of spaces are red. Even and odd numbers are equally distributed between red and black. If, instead, numbers were randomly assigned colors, there could be more of one color than another, and one color could have more even numbered spaces than odd numbered spaces.

Let's say that there are 12 black spaces and 24 red spaces. Two thirds of the black spaces are even-numbered. That means 8 black spaces would be evenly numbered and 10 red spaces would be evenly numbered. In our sample, then, 2:3 black spaces are even-numbered compared to 5:12 red spaces. A black space selected at random would thus be statistically more likely to be even-numbered than a red space, even though there are more red spaces than black spaces, and more evenly-numbered red spaces than evenly-numbered black spaces.

2) Some of this I addressed above. Also, I’m not pointing out a single case (Oprah). I’m saying I see a lot of brothas (dark skinned and light skinned), and sistas (especially) out here making it happen. And I’m sure I’m not the only one in here. Y’all acting like seeing a dark skinned man with a good job is a rare thing!
For a start, you're relying on anecdotal evidence - and anecdotal evidence that does not disprove in any way the presence of systemic racism, unless it were argued that no Black person, anywhere, ever, has succeeded by any measure in a racist society.

We know that wealth is unequally distributed in this society. https://www.forbes.com/sites/briant...americas-most-pressing-epidemic/#283185b17a48

Michael Jordan is a billionaire, yet since Michael Jordan began playing college basketball, the wealth of the median Black household declined by 75%. That's not ancient history. That's not slavery. That's 1983-2013. Over that same span, median White household wealth increased by 14%.

It's also essential to acknowledge that affluent people of color experience racism, too. If your advice to Black Americans is "pull up your pants, get an education, and get a good job," one would think that Dr. Henry Louis Gates would qualify. Yet, in 2009, Dr. Gates was arrested after a White neighbor accused him of breaking into his own home. So much for "respectability politics."

3) Your example of the card game. True. I would say it was unfair. My younger brother is taller then me it’s also unfair. Who cares?
Your next point about about me presenting a strawman argument... I guess you could say that. You would argue that you can’t become your best self without fighting inequality and you would win. But, it would be in your best interest to work on them at the same time. How many people you know without any P.O. made any real change?
You're attempting to trivialize racism by comparing it to your brother's height advantage. I've never heard of anyone being lynched for dating someone of a different height.

Second, as has been pointed out to you, I would wager that the vast majority of those you're telling to "stop making excuses" have jobs and college degrees. Dikembe Mutombo often says, "When you take the elevator to the top, please remember to send it back down so someone else might use it." They spent most of their day working. You, by your own admission, spent the day walking on the beach.

While everyone deserves time off, it seems an ill moment to accuse others of laziness. For all you know, many of the people you're insulting have worked harder and generated a larger share of their own wealth than you have for yours. Meanwhile, you act as though they're suggesting that there's no point in trying to work hard because racism exists. As far as I'm aware, not a single person here has made that claim. Again, it's a strawman.

I think you'd find that most decent people would like to leave the world better than they found it. That's a virtue, not a sign of indolence.

Everyone here who gives a damn about racism and social inequality is striving to be the best they can be individually while simultaneously demonstrating concern for this society's most grievous injustices.

Can you honestly say the same when you've yet to perform even the most basic research on the matter?

If your interest in having this conversation represents a first step towards bettering yourself on that front, great, but, in the interest of personal responsibility, shouldn't you be the one making the effort to research it, rather than asking the rest of the community to lay all the evidence at your feet?

4) I have been out and about all day. Posting while walking around on the beach, and in museums. I’m writing this from the back of a Lyft ride now to eat dinner. So....

And I don’t think it’s “fair” how I get a warning and get my post deleted because I brought a touchy subject but this POS in here can say my “Kids are ****ed”... Seems a little bias to me. But hey. Who cares?
You weren't the only one who received a warning or had their post deleted. We want everyone to treat each other with respect. Posts containing insults, personal attacks, and profanity are against the rules.

I wish enforcement of these rules could be perfect, but we have a small team and we can't possibly read every single post added to the forums each day. We rely on our fellow community members to help us by reporting the violations they encounter. Some users report posts only when they are personally upset by them, which can project their inconsistencies on the staff. Please know that's not our intention. We do the best we can to be as evenhanded as possible given the resources available to us.

If you encounter a rule violation, you're encouraged to use the report link to bring it to the staff's attention.

Ahh :lol:

Damn I'm on thin ice with him, gonna take my gloating elsewhere.
The Wizards' perennial failures are best discussed in the Sports & Training forum.

While I understand that many people here would rather discuss Kanye West's latest plea for attention directly, a serious discussion of systemic racism is at least peripheral to his proclaimed support for Donald Trump and thus relates to the topic. The latest NBA playoff results are not.

The thing that annoys me the most about the "pull yourself by your bootstraps" crowd is that they ignore the fact that perception plays a major role in how people are assessed. The negative perception of Black people in this country is behind the thinking that Black folks only get admitted to college because of Affirmative Action

Most people know, just as you and I do, that there are well educated black men and women in college that got there because of the hard work they’ve put in. And we all know it was more hard work then your average white person had to put in. We all know this.
The negative perception of black people comes from black people. Have you ever worked with someone who was lazy or bad at their job? Anyone? Not just a black person. These kinds of PEOPLE of all races pretend to be victims when the bossman comes around and fires them. They say all kinds of stuff to paint themselves as victims just to keep trying to skate by. Now if one of these people is a black person, because sometimes it is, then this person uses the race card. Although race had nothing to do with this person getting fired. This is the problem with the race card. It has been puched by too many people unjustly to make up for their personal shortcomings.

Life is “unfair” for a lot of reasons when it comes to socioeconomics and upward social mobility. Race donesnt get to be one of those reasons. Some of y’all act like being black is like having to accept living life with your hand tied behind your back because life isn’t fair.

how does race not get to be one of those reasons when its only an issue to powerful bigots?

being black itself isnt “having your tied behind your back”...the unexplainable hatred and disdain for POC from others nd specifically those in power is

how does race not get to be one of those reasons when its only an issue to powerful bigots?

being black itself isnt “having your tied behind your back”...the unexplainable hatred and disdain for POC from others nd specifically those in power is

To be honest I think we’re saying the same thing. I’m saying life Can present it challenges for many reasons. Challenges shouldn’t to a person or group of people because of the color their skin. Whether it’s on an individual level or a systemic level

Most people know, just as you and I do, that there are well educated black men and women in college that got there because of the hard work they’ve put in. And we all know it was more hard work then your average white person had to put in. We all know this.
The negative perception of black people comes from black people. Have you ever worked with someone who was lazy or bad at their job? Anyone? Not just a black person. These kinds of PEOPLE of all races pretend to be victims when the bossman comes around and fires them. They say all kinds of stuff to paint themselves as victims just to keep trying to skate by. Now if one of these people is a black person, because sometimes it is, then this person uses the race card. Although race had nothing to do with this person getting fired. This is the problem with the race card. It has been puched by too many people unjustly to make up for their personal shortcomings.

Ah, the race card topic. Telling people that....nvm.

The negative perception of black people comes from black people.
No. Just no.

I have worked with lazy people of various backgrounds. I have worked with dedicated people of the same backgrounds.

My limited experience with them doesn't allow me to conclude that people from particular backgrounds are "this" or "that" because my perspective only allows me to see parts of the whole (to speak abstractly).

That is why probability and statistics exist as mathematical tools designed to evaluate quantities that are too large or too fuzzy to count precisely. When you refuse to consider statistical analyses and studies, you're essentially saying "I don't care about the whole picture."

When it comes to the perception of black people by non-Black people (NBP), much of what NBP base their assessment of Black folks on comes from the media and pop-culture. Up until the creation of BET and the rise in popularity of shows like the Cosby Show, TFPoBA, Family Matters, Martin (that's the 80s-90s), etc... black life as the world knew it was not narrated by Black folks. It was seen through the lens of White America, and certain aspects of it (mostly negative) were over-emphasized at the expense of others. Even black folks saw themselves through that lens. Some examples of those negative aspects include:

- the oversexualized "nature" of black men who would rape white girls because they can't control themselves.

- black athletes relying on their physicality more than their smarts being a constant theme in sports

- crack addiction and AIDS being a self-control issue (compare that with the current opioid crisis being called a health crisis)

- unkept neighborhoods and schools being a representation of the careless nature of black folks (rather than being an issue of lack of investment in quality of life services in those places and a lack of economic opportunities).

Even now, despite the progress in black representation in the media and the scope of stories told, you still have some dumbasses who look at Black folks in "non-traditionally black" fields as a novelty and question their presence there. The problem is, many of those dumbasses are up there, turning their biases into policies into bills into laws in DC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom