KOBE IV review request.

kobe iv's are amazing shoes...i have rocked 2k4...kobe iii...zoom generation...lebron ii's...the xx3's...and have a bunch of hyperdunks...but theiv's are just crazy...there seems to be like a "film" on the sole so just do some stutter steps to get the squeak really going you know...isuggest not lacing them tight at the bottom and as you get closer to the ankle tighten them up until you really break them in because they will squeeze yourfeet and I have really narrow feet...you have to play in them thinking that you're just ballin...you can't have the though of them being lows in yourhead...go hard....make hard cuts...try to stop on a dime...change directions as quick as possible...with the herringbone pattern and the fact that the groovesare so deep they grip the floor really really well...and because it's segemented on the bottom somewhat like the frees are the sole is veryflexible...which is one of the reasons kobe came out with the hybrid hyperdunk for himself...there is alot of cushioning around the ankle and i've heardsomeone say its like sb's on steroids...haha that seems like a good comparison because of how much padding is in the shoe...it seems like they used adifferent type of lunar foam or fixed the problem they had with them because it honestly feels better...i have played in mine 3 times and they still feel thesole...and the midsole does not crease as bad as the hyperdunks did...all in all if you want the best performing shoe on the market today...in my opinion youshould get these...try them for yourself, go hard and you will not be disappointed

oh and just for the record i have the carpe diem and the chaos...so the grip on the carpe is real good even though it's a clear sole...just need to breakit in thats all

These shoes are incredible performers.

These shoes run a bit short, I got a size 10.5 instead of my normal size 10. If Nike made a 10.25 it would have been perfect, but better a little long than alittle short. Some have said they are narrow, but I didn't find that to be the case. You can tie the shoe tight or not too tight, however you like, toaccomodate your feet. I have a wider than average foot, but not superwide. No issues.

Cushioning was a bit soft for my taste. I am 170 lbs and, while not as soft as shoes like zk1, zlii or zoom bb1 (all of which were downright mushy in myopinion), these would be better and more responsive if they had less cushioning feel. I know Kobe always wants his shoes to feel like pillows, and thesecertainly do. Whatever...to each his own. The setup worked to completely aborb all impacts, so no real complaints. If you like a soft feel underfoot as mostpeople do, you will love these shoes. Lunar feels a little more firm than in the HD, so fingers crossed on the durability issues. I know a lot of people areconcerned about that; to tell you the truth I haven't heard the compliants from zkiv owners the way I have heard them from HD owners. So far so good.

Stability was never a question. Low to the ground + outrigger + good heel counter + flywire = no ankle insecurity. Just don't come down on someone'sfoot (in which case you are hosed, no matter what shoe you are wearing).

Traction was awesome. Medium dusty floor, no slips. I walked around in these for a few days before hooping in them, don't know if that made a difference(usually helps, in my experience) vs hooping in them right out of the box.

Transition was awesome. Like a running shoe. Also, maybe it is just mental but I felt like the lightness helped acceleration in and out of cuts and at thestart of the break.

Bottom line, these are great, they are up there with the best I have ever played in. Possibly the best, time will tell once I can get a sense of thedurability. I will load up on a few extra pairs of these when they become eligible for F&F discounts.

I would go with your normal size in the Kobe IV. I wore size 11 in the Kobe III, and I wear a size in the Kobe IV. Dont go a half size up, They lock my foot inwayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better then the Kobe III did in the same size.

Even if you go a half size up, lockdown is still great. Can't go wrong; I think that if I had gotten my normal size 10 instead of the 10.5 that I actuallydid get, everything would have still been fine. These shoes run only a 1/4 size small, not a 1/2 size.

Whatever size you get, just don't tie the shoe too tight when you are breaking it in, or it will squeeze the heck out of your foot width wise. There is alot of padding on the inside of this shoe, and the flywire doesn't give.

I finally got mine last night (had to order them from Foot Locker). I am glad the tightness came up, because no lie, just wearing them last night around thehouse, these were going back today. The forefoot was killing me. But at least, according to some, it does form a bit to your foot, and I had finished playingright before, so my right foot was probably a little swollen (only my right one does this). I will play tonight and then comes the wordy review.

Finally, here it is, I waited long enough. My Carpe Diems, ordered last Tuesday (1-27) arrived two days ago. I have not bought a shoe of this supposed caliberin a LOOOONG while, so the price tag made me hesitate. Granted, in days past, I paid out the a-for whatever I wanted, but knowing most shoes end up 30-60% offin a couple months, on top of the family and having 40 boxes full in the closet, has slowed me drastically. I went in to Foot Locker the 20th, tried these on,and loved them, but backed off on the price, even with my 20% hook-up. Went back three days later to get them after thinking about it, and they were GONE. Notjust here, everywhere. I ordered the last 10.5 in the U.S.

For the ones who don't know, I am 5'10", 200 lb, 30 something PG/SG. I plat two-three times a week, with JC/DII/former DI players at UTA. Stillslash, pull-up 3, D it up. Current rotation includes AZK1, T-Mac 6, adidas Commander (my favorite currently), Zoom 95 & 96, EQT 2000, LB4.

I have not bought any new technology from Nike in a couple years, since the Foam LB4. I had all the Zoom and Air Max already, so a lack of innovation took meback to buying retro's to re-live past glories. I even avoided all Hyperdunk hype last summer (something about the cut and aesthetics just turned me off onthem, but the reports from early Lunar Foam victims really did the trick). Even though, the first pictures of these intrigued me, and I had to take a look. Inperson, these are even better. Quality of build is great-no glue, overspray, off stitching, etc. Light as a feather, almost as light as my Zoom Milers. Keep inmind; I have only put in bout 8 hours so far. To the review:

Comfort and fit: On the comfort side, no one does an inner bootie/sock like Nike, and this is one of the better ones. Thick, full-foot (except for the anklenotches behind the tongue), and very well ventilated, it improves fit and feel drastically. The step in feel of smoothness, on top of the low cut, just makesthese feel like nothing else. One other thing, the "low" cut: these are cut the same height as the Jordan III and T-Mac 6, therefore not that low,although they are cut just below the ankle bone. I did notice some forefoot numbness and discomfort when I first put them on, especially across the ball of myfoot, and was ready to return them, but I stuck with them, and after the first game any discomfort was gone and I had my glass slippers. I always hesitate togive a recommendation on sizing, but I wear a 10.5 in all Jordan's and Kobe's, same in these. They feel tight at first, like I said, but they break innicely.

Cushioning and support: This is what sold me. I first tried these on, not owning any Hypers, and was immediately struck by the firm cushioning in the forefoot,as well as the bounce in the heel. I know what everyone says about the Lunar Foam, but I couldn't resist. I detest the soft, mushy cushioning of the Zoom96 and LB4, much preferring the feel of the Huarache 08 and the Zoom 95, and these fit in the latter category. After over two hours of game play over two days,my feet never felt the floor. I have no idea if they will break down, how long it will take, or how many wears I have left in them, but for now they aregreatness. I have them on now and am constantly worrying about the life, even in casual wear, but they feel so nice, I can't take them off. I did notice acouple landings back on my heel that felt firm and actually bounced back at the foot, taking the jar out of my back. The Flywire is just like the Hypers withthe exception of the lateral ankle wires, for obvious reasons. I was not sure whether to believe the hype, but I think Nike may be on to something, even thoughadidas tried the same thing in the late 90's with a John Starks shoe (can't remember the name, but Slam had them in an issue). I could actually feelthe shoe holding my foot in place on cuts and giving me a "push block" on defensive slides. Think of the feel as starter's blocks in track. Asyou try to push off in leather or even synthetics, the material can stretch and give a slipping feel. These have no give at all, therefore, no wasted energy,making your response quicker.

The cut of the ankle caused me to answer "you're going to play in those?" more times than I can count. Do not be afraid. Like stated earlier,they AREN'T THAT LOW. They cut just below the ankle, significantly higher than either Zoom BB low, and around the height of the Jordan III, or Jet Flight.The positive of the Kobe compared to those two are the huge heel counter, overstated forefoot outrigger, and a very stiff ankle collar. The purple, plasticheel counter is one of the best ever. It really locks the ankle in and allows almost no movement. I hesitate to say none, because someone will always get someslip, but for my foot nothing has ever fit better. The outrigger is larger than most, but is made of a more pliable material than most (using the same clearsole material as the outsole), so even though it is big, it deforms some to lessen the feel. The ankle collar is stiff, but not to the point of beinguncomfortable. The stitching really helps with support, not just looks.

Traction is another area I hesitate to grade, because we all play on different floors under different conditions. I play in a clean college gym, and tractionwas absolutely great. No squeak, but this has nothing to do with performance, The material is soft, so it never really grabs and stops, more like a soft glueeffect. I have noticed a little creasing around the bottom laces where the forefoot flexes, but that is expected. The midsole does show some creasing, butagain, if you wear them, that will happen. Get over it.

All added, this shoe moved up to 1A in my rotation, right up there with my other favorite, the adidas Commander. Two completely different shoes, I know, but Ilove both. If you can stand the possibility of Lunar Foam bottoming out in a few weeks (some I know with Hypers swear theirs are still great after months),these are a must-have. Bigger players might need more cushion, but for guards/small forwards, even light centers, these are it.

Awesome review, couldn't agree more on all points. If you think enough of the Commanders to make them co-#1 with these bad boys, I might need to pick someup now that finishline is dropping the prices a bit.

I have to warn you, they are completely opposite shoes. The Commander, especially for the price, is a great combo of stability, cushion, and protection, andalthough not that heavy, it is not a lightweight either, probably around a Kobe 1 weight. I base most of my rotation on traction and cushioning, and these tworight now are my favroites. You won't be disappointed in the Commanders even if you are a die-hard Nike head.

not a die hard nike guy, and my most important needs are stability and traction. both are strong points for the zkiv, and sound like strong points for thecommanders too. thanks for the tips!

can anyone help me out with sizing?

i wear a sz10 in kobe 1's and 3's and jordan X's too... size 10.5 works in most others nikes and adidas - lebron ii, iii.. foamposite one... melom4..

the sz 10 shoes for example kobe 1's, they fit good length wise, get a nice fit out of them (found heel slip in 10.5), but my toes feel a little cramped,no wiggle room if you know what i mean.. kobe 3's are a little better with this.

should i go sz 10 or 10.5 on kobe 4s?

I'd say if u want wiggle room go with your 10.5...to me they run true to size and nicely snug..perfect fit tied and un-tied

yeah a 10.25 would have been perfect for me lol.
a 10 fit like the IIIs for me, but even snugger
a 10.5 felt sine but felt a lil longer and i mean a lil
but i stuck with my usual 10 for bball
super snug, perfect fit for me, broke em in to conform to my feet
if u want "wiggle" room i'd move to a 10.5

this may add to the topic....

I wear:

a 12.5 in the BB1 Low (steve nash's)
a 13 in the Nike Zoom MVPs
a 12.5 in the BB2 low
a 13 in all running shoes (shox)
a 13 in Shox BB4
a 13 in the jordan 12.5 (the lowtop ones)
a 13 in the jet flight

when i tried on the size 13's Kobe 4's today, they fit perfectly... what was weird is that they fit exactly the same as my BB1 lows fit (size 12.5) -same amount of toe room and everything.

i definitely needed a 13 in the Kobe IV's... (I had to cancel/reorder my Nike ID orders to get size 13s...)

hope this helps someone out...

The Kobe IV's are the Lights shoes I played in, i was skeptical about the Low Profile of the shoes but i wasn't a factor at all.

I just played in mine, and I really dig how light the shoe is. The low profile was really iffy to me, didnt have as much confidence in the low post as Iusually do. But I definetly felt comfortable cutting and moving without the ball.

I'm 6'3 265 btw lol.

I have played in mine about 5 times and I think they are the best shoe I have ever balled in. I think they fit true to size also. Only problem I have with themis they look smaller than all my other shoes when you look down at them.

I've been balling in my pair for weeks now and I'm going to be the first to say that they are beginning to lose their forefoot cushioning. They arebottoming out!

^ Bound to happen, in the case of lunar foam, sooner rather than later.

This is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to get them. $135 merits full length zoom, without question. Hell, $110 got you full length Zoom in the BB series.

"I've been balling in my pair for weeks now and I'm going to be the first to say that they are beginning to lose their forefoot cushioning. Theyare bottoming out!"

Glad I didn't blow a dime on these, which I was tempted to do via NikeiD. What a waste of money that would have been.

I'd like to urge any and everyone to give the Zoom MVP a run when your Kobe's bottom out. MVP = greatest low on the market right now, and I'm goingto be copping a few more pairs.

Sad to hear, but not surprising I suppose. No degredation yet for me in half a dozen hard wearings, though, which is more than I can say for my HDs, where Ialready started noticing it around this time.

If and when my forefoot cushioning starts to fade, TS Creator will be back on top of the best guard shoe available heap (IMO, anyway). But until then...I willcontinue to savor the sweetness that is the ZKiv.

Enjoy them while you can. But by far the best shoes I've ever put on were the Zoom BB I and these Kobe IV's. Its just unfortunate that they dont usefull-length zoom.

Back
Top Bottom