Kyrie 1

looks like its FCFS, no raffle info on FL/HOH at all, usually if its araffle they there will be the instructions listed and all

ima call my hoh after wotk just to confirm

hope this is an easy 1

Dreams are on the way. NO STORE in three malls around Fort Worth are getting them. Just went and looked.

As long as FL allows me to use my $20 off coupon, everything's about to be Gucci in the morning. Even if I can't use it, I'll still go ahead and pull the trigger, but you always want to save some money.

I've been having terrible luck recently with online purchases as far as sizing. 

However, Im not sure I can get to a footlocker tomorrow to try the Kyrie 1 on, so I wanted to get ur guys' opinion as far as sizing.

I wear a 12 in the kobe IX and hyperdunk 2014. and wear a 12.5 in the Rose 4.5. I have a fairly wide foot.

Would you recommend a 12 or a 12.5 in the Kyrie 1? I dont like a really really snug fit, but a good secure fit if that makes sense lol

Thanks so much!

I've been having terrible luck recently with online purchases as far as sizing. 

However, Im not sure I can get to a footlocker tomorrow to try the Kyrie 1 on, so I wanted to get ur guys' opinion as far as sizing.

I wear a 12 in the kobe IX and hyperdunk 2014. and wear a 12.5 in the Rose 4.5. I have a fairly wide foot.

Would you recommend a 12 or a 12.5 in the Kyrie 1? I dont like a really really snug fit, but a good secure fit if that makes sense lol

Thanks so much!

I just tried my pair on without really loosening the laces or anything and they are definitely narrow for us wide footers. I do think that once you break them in you'll be good. Then again going up half a size isn't a bad idea, I am considering getting the size 10 instead

I wish y'all would stop acting like these are gonna be hard to get
Eh, atleast in-store they will be. The fact that none of the stores in my mall are getting them, yet a couple of the major malls within a 100 mile radius of my town are getting them. Thus it appears that this is limited GR. Plus you never know, the cheap price plus it being the debut c/w of a new model could make these sell quickly.

I just tried my pair on without really loosening the laces or anything and they are definitely narrow for us wide footers. I do think that once you break them in you'll be good. Then again going up half a size isn't a bad idea, I am considering getting the size 10 instead
thanks a lot. I was hoping to try it on but no footlockers in my area are getting it. so maybe ill just go with a 12.5 to be safe. 

does it feel a lot narrower than the other shoes I listed (if you've owned any of those)? I went in store today and tried the JWall1 and those seemed pretty narrow so Im hoping these will be a little better. 

Eh, atleast in-store they will be. The fact that none of the stores in my mall are getting them, yet a couple of the major malls within a 100 mile radius of my town are getting them. Thus it appears that this is limited GR. Plus you never know, the cheap price plus it being the debut c/w of a new model could make these sell quickly.
agreed. none of the malls around me are getting it so i have to go with an  online purchase.

u said it best. Its a debut colorway and the only online retailer selling them is ndc.

I ain't takin any chances with this colorway tomorrow..retail or not..i will cop..

Hopin for that discount on NDC tho..

Ok here we go with a quick first impression.

Keep in mind, this is no performance review -- it will take me at least a few more good runs to make a proper assessment.  Tonight I got to test them out for about 2 hours, ran some 1-on-1 with my co-worker and 2s with another couple guys that were there.  I'll update once I get some more burn in them, particularly full-court play.  Also keep in mind -- opinions will vary and how much you like the shoe will really come down to preference.  I will speak to them as best I can as they compare to other models.

Traction:

I'm touching on this first because it was the part I was most excited about.  The court we were on today was pretty dusty.  Not the dustiest, but definitely not pristine.  Traction was excellent, especially in the front half of the shoe.  I had two kind of freak moments where my heel kind of slipped out on me.  Only twice though and I had no other issues during the two hours.  My thought is that this is due to the fact that the pattern is pretty flat and many outsoles can be a little slick out of the box.  Can't wait to feel how good they'll be after a little bit more of a break-in.  I haven't tried the Hyperrev, but I had heard that people had some issues with those straight out of the box with the flat traction pattern, that went away after some break in.

Fit/lockdown:

These hug your foot so nicely... I love it.  For a fuse/mesh based upper, I really like how this feels and it worked wonderfully to contain the foot on all movements.  That '2-finger' underlay is a good add as well for some extra forefoot containment.  The fit is nice and snug, but not uncomfortable.  I do have a narrow foot, but I feel like even wide-footers may be happy with TTS if you'll be hooping in these.  If you do like a little extra wiggle room, hopefully you can try them on first.  If you want to see more of my thoughts on sizing, check my posts in the iD thread: http://niketalk.com/t/613354/kyrie-1-nikeid-thread/150#post_22251320

A couple more things on the fit.  The padding around the ankle, at the ankle bones, the tongue and the softness of the upper combine for a downright comfy feel.  What I like is that they feel soft/padded yet not bulky by any means.  I had no hot spots/blisters/anything when I took them off. 

The collar height is a nice in-between.  I can see these being a good choice for someone who's looking to move to a lower cut option.  I didn't have issues with slipping, but I did re-lace once about an hour in to improve the fit.  I may use the 'runner's loop' next time around for a little bit more containment.

Cushion:

First off, the stock ortholite insole in these is pretty thick -- same as what's in the Bron XII and KD VII I believe.  That gives you some good step in comfort.  The phylon midsole felt great.  Heel cushion is abundant -- for those who claim to need zoom in the heel, I think you'd be surprised what a solid phylon heel has to offer.  To be honest, I did not feel the forefoot zoom a whole lot. Definitely a little bit, but not as much as I was expecting.  This is ok with me though, I'd rather start out feeling it less and feel it more as I break in the phylon carrier.  I think this pair will appeal to players of many sizes, as the cushion is plenty, yet you still have solid court feel and no clunky transition.

More on transition/overall feel:

Transition was nice and smooth.  Court feel is solid.  Not quite Kobe solid, but it is solid.  You have a little bit more underfoot than something like a Kobe, but it isn't a bad thing and didn't slow me down at all.  One thing I want to note -- these don't really have much of a lateral outrigger.  It didn't give me any issues, but I can potentially see this taking some time to get used to for some hoopers. 

Overall first thoughts (again just initial impression):

I really can't wait to get some more time in with these.  Overall, it is just a really well balanced shoe IMO, especially at the price point.   Solid cushion, excellent traction, and the way they hug your foot is just awesome.  I like the simplicity with it and how it delivers with no gimmicks.  When I laced them up today, it was hard to really pay attention to them because the fit was so nice.  If I had to put it in a category, I would maybe call it sort of like a cross between a Kobe and a Hyperdunk (non-lunar).

Hope this helps a bit, apologize if it's just a bunch of rambling.  Threw this together really quick and my mind is all over the place right now, so I hope at least half of it makes sense
laugh.gif

If you've got specific follow-up questions, tag me or shoot a PM and I'll answer as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Ok here we go with a quick first impression.

Keep in mind, this is no performance review -- it will take me at least a few more good runs to make a proper assessment.  Tonight I got to test them out for about 2 hours, ran some 1-on-1 with my co-worker and 2s with another couple guys that were there.  I'll update once I get some more burn in them, particularly full-court play.  Also keep in mind -- opinions will vary and how much you like the shoe will really come down to preference.  I will speak to them as best I can as they compare to other models.

Traction:
I'm touching on this first because it was the part I was most excited about.  The court we were on today was pretty dusty.  Not the dustiest, but definitely not pristine.  Traction was excellent, especially in the front half of the shoe.  I had two kind of freak moments where my heel kind of slipped out on me.  Only twice though and I had no other issues during the two hours.  My thought is that this is due to the fact that the pattern is pretty flat and many of the soles can be a little slick out of the box.  Can't wait to feel how good they'll be after a little bit more of a break-in.  I haven't tried the Hyperrev, but I had heard that people had some issues with those straight out of the box with the flat traction pattern, that went away after some break in.

Fit/lockdown:
These hug your foot so nicely... I love it.  For a fuse/mesh based upper, I really like how this feels and it worked wonderfully to contain the foot on all movements.  That '2-finger' underlay is a good add as well for some extra forefoot containment.  The fit is nice and snug, but not uncomfortable.  I do have a narrow foot, but I feel like even wide-footers may be happy with TTS if you'll be hooping in these.  If you do like a little extra wiggle room, hopefully you can try them on first.  If you want to see more of my thoughts on sizing, check my posts in the iD thread: http://niketalk.com/t/613354/kyrie-1-nikeid-thread/150#post_22251320

A couple more things on the fit.  The padding around the ankle, at the ankle bones, the tongue and the softness of the upper combine for a downright comfy feel.  What I like is that they feel soft/padded yet not bulky by any means.  I had no hot spots/blisters/anything when I took them off. 

The collar height is a nice in-between.  I can see these being a good option for someone who's looking to move to a lower cut option.  I didn't have issues with slipping, but I did re-lace once about an hour in to improve the fit.  I may use the 'runner's loop' next time around for a little bit more containment.

Cushion:
First off, the stock ortholite insole in these is pretty thick -- same as what's in the Bron XII and KD VII I believe.  That gives you some good step in comfort.  The phylon midsole felt great.  Heel cushion is abundant -- for those who claim to need zoom in the heel, I think you'd be surprised what a solid phylon heel has to offer.  To be honest, I did not feel the forefoot zoom a whole lot. Definitely a little bit, but not as much as I was expecting.  This is ok with me though, I'd rather start out feeling it less and feel it more as I break in the phylon carrier.  I think this pair will appeal to players of many sizes, as the cushion is plenty, yet you still have solid court feel and no clunky transition.

More on transition/overall feel:
Transition was nice and smooth.  Court feel is solid.  Not quite Kobe solid, but it is solid.  You have a little bit more underfoot than something like a Kobe, but it isn't a bad thing and didn't slow me down at all.  One thing I want to note -- these don't really have much of a lateral outrigger.  It didn't give me any issues, but I can potentially see this taking some time to get used to for some hoopers. 

Overall first thoughts (again just initial impression):
I really can't wait to get some more time in with these.  Overall, it is just a really well balanced shoe IMO, especially at the price point.   Solid cushion, excellent traction, and the way they hug your foot is just awesome.  I like the simplicity with it and how it delivers with no gimmicks.  When I laced them up today, it was hard to really pay attention to them because the fit was so nice.  If I had to put it in a category, I would maybe call it sort of like a cross between a Kobe and a Hyperdunk (non-lunar).

Hope this helps a bit, apologize if it's just a bunch of rambling.  Threw this together really quick and my mind is all over the place right now, so I hope at least half of it makes sense :lol:

If you've got specific follow-up questions, tag me or shoot a PM and I'll answer as soon as I can.
u should do this for a living! Great write up!

Back
Top Bottom