Law school vs. Business School

I'm an upcoming college junior, and I can't decide which to go with.

Is anyone in the same boat as me?

Which do you think is the best?

This is a question I wanted to ask as well. I've already started studying for the LSAT but could you go to business school for graduate study if you havenever taken an undergrad business course? How far behind would you be compared to everyone else?

Depends what your interests are.

Certainly you can overlap to two depending on what they are.

Originally Posted by Zachattack32

I'm an upcoming college junior, and I can't decide which to go with.

Is anyone in the same boat as me?
Yes I actually am....Business Admin major (switch from accounting) and don't kno what to go with either!

Originally Posted by Lazy B

This is a question I wanted to ask as well. I've already started studying for the LSAT but could you go to business school for graduate study if you have never taken an undergrad business course? How far behind would you be compared to everyone else?

Just wondering, are you taking Kaplan?

I asked around about whether to take Kaplan and researched too, and the general consensus is that it's a waste of money. I'm a business admin/marketingmajor and I'm choosing Law school over business.

This is a question I wanted to ask as well. I've already started studying for the LSAT but could you go to business school for graduate study if you have never taken an undergrad business course? How far behind would you be compared to everyone else?

think so...i might be wrong though

I thought I was one of the very few in this position. It seem like everybody on NT is.
laugh.gif

Upcoming junior and majoring in Business administration with a minor in Finance. I'm stuck between Law and Business school.
nerd.gif
I'm leaning more towards Law, or I might do a joint degree program.

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

I asked around about whether to take Kaplan and researched too, and the general consensus is that it's a waste of money. I'm a business admin/marketing major and I'm choosing Law school over business.

I am about to be a senior, and I have heard the same things about Kaplan. The book is at Barnes and Noble, i'll just do that. Are you just going to studyon your own as well?

got damn GMAT prep classes are expensive....
smh.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I thought I was one of the very few in this position. It seem like everybody on NT is.
laugh.gif

Upcoming junior and majoring in Business administration with a minor in Finance. I'm stuck between Law and Business school.
nerd.gif
I'm leaning more towards Law, or I might do a joint degree program.

laugh.gif
yea it seem like it..

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Just wondering, are you taking Kaplan?
Nope. I can't afford it and my pre-law advisor told me that it doesn't make much of a difference whether you take them or not.

For you guys that want to take an LSAT course: Testmasters > the rest. If not Testmasters, don't go with Kaplan. Almost everyone says it's a wasteof money.

There was a post about Graduate business programs a few days ago, it had some pretty useful information for prospective business students. Search for it. Imconsidering a JD/MBA program, but maybe after a year or 2 of work experience.

It does depend on your area of interest though.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

I asked around about whether to take Kaplan and researched too, and the general consensus is that it's a waste of money. I'm a business admin/marketing major and I'm choosing Law school over business.

I am about to be a senior, and I have heard the same things about Kaplan. The book is at Barnes and Noble, i'll just do that. Are you just going to study on your own as well?

Yup. Studying by yourself > *

Well im actually a social work major and I plan on going to law school right after I get my masters.... Much like everyone else in the thread said i believe itwill just pay off better with law

oidreez wrote:
what about for an econ major?
nerd.gif

Get a minor in math and get into the best PhD program you can. Good econ professors have a great life, while starting off at 50k or so and struggling to maketenure does not sound like much of a pay off for four to six years of tough grad school, the long term payoffs are immense in terms of work load, workenvironment, job security and even for pay because eventually the money will come, not as much as for lawyers or executive but the money is still good.

The chair of my old department makes over 150k and matches that by doing consulting so she makes 300k to teach a few classes and do research on whateverinterests her. The other professors do not make quite as much but still can make 60-120k just through teachin gand the rule of thumb is that you can match thatthrough consulting so 120-240k annual compensation with several weeks of vacation, a flexible schedule, a rewardin gand interesting job and perhaps best ofall, no true boss who lord over you and can make you stay late, tarvel with no notice or stare at spraed sheets for 60 hours per day.

If the heavy math load is too much (and you do need the math for a PhD program) I would suggest law school. Among people from my department who go onto to gradschool they either go to PhD programs if they are good at math or law if they are not. Econ majors tend to score well on the LSAT (we're usually in the top3 to 6 year after year) and there are certain aspects of economic thinking, the methodical step by step process of analyzing questions, that some say transferswell into studying and practicing law.

I, personally, am looking to get an MA in public policy econ at CSUN, in the next two years while I am working in the valley, and then quite for three yearsand study Law at UCLA. Either that or get on with the JD/MA in econ at George Mason University. Having Donald Boudreaux for some of my law and econ seminarsand Russell Roberts and Walt E Williams as my advisers would be a dream come true.

I guess it depends on what you want to do exactly with the degree. There are plenty of people who have graduated from top schools in law who cant find jobs.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

I guess it depends on what you want to do exactly with the degree. There are plenty of people who have graduated from top schools in law who cant find jobs.

The job market is tough but, those graduating for T14 schools are still doing alright (if they didn't graduate at the bottom of the class).

Back
Top Bottom