LeBron James files application for No. 6 jersey for the 2010-11 season

Originally Posted by true1life

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Well that settles it, he's not leaving
eyes.gif

It'll be weird at first, but him wearing 6 during the Olympics looked good, so I don't mind the change.

lol, how good did it look?
go ahead and tell us how good you thought it looked.
oh u don't mind the change
ofcourse, on account of how good he looked.
ur gross.
are you 12 years old? or just a really immature adult?

Originally Posted by true1life

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Well that settles it, he's not leaving
eyes.gif

It'll be weird at first, but him wearing 6 during the Olympics looked good, so I don't mind the change.

lol, how good did it look?
go ahead and tell us how good you thought it looked.
oh u don't mind the change
ofcourse, on account of how good he looked.
ur gross.

hand_reaching.jpg

[h1]
[h1]LeBron’s M.J. tribute is all about business[/h1]
wojnarowski.png

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 28 minutes ago

LeBron James(notes) isn’t honoring the greatness of No. 23, but manipulating Michael Jordan’s marketing savvy. The changing of his jersey number as a nod to M.J.’s basketball career is a purely fictional cover story. It’s a tribute to Jordan all right, but more like a cynical ode to his business sense. James wants to grow his global brand and push product; flooding the market with a fresh jersey number does the job.

1267560038.jpg

LeBron James' No. 23 jersey has trailed Kobe Bryant's No. 24 in sales the past two seasons.
(NBAE/ Getty Images)

Between now and then, James ought to spare us the fantasy that moving from No. 23 to No. 6 is about anyone or anything else.

All about Michael?

This is all about LeBron.

When LeBron James should be most concerned with taking Kobe Bryant’s(notes) NBA title, he’s making a bid for his standing as the No. 1 seller of NBA jerseys. James watched Bryant make the switch from No. 8 to No. 24 and how it moved him to the top of the list. For the past two seasons, James has finished second to Bryant. No more, James decided. Kobe gave him the blueprint for selling out stock, and now LeBron’s embraced it.

Looking back, Bryant never tried to turn his jersey change into some magnanimous gesture. He switched numbers, and that was that. He wanted to sell jerseys, and he did. He never pretended it was a genuflection to anything but commerce.

Somehow, James has boxed himself with this ridiculous story about how no one should ever wear No. 23, and he’s the first to give it up and maybe everyone else should follow him. This was met with a roll of the eyes, with everyone asking: Wait, you’re giving up No. 23 to take … No. 6?

What about Bill Russell and his 11 NBA championships? Jordan, the greatest ever, cleared a path for the worldly basketball star. But Russell was a black star in turbulent Boston in the 1960s. He anchored the greatest dynasty in the sport’s history, and they’ll remember him as the most dominant defensive player to ever live. In the end, James and everyone else understand this has nothing to do with Jordan or Russell, with No. 23 or No. 6. This is business, and he’s insulting everyone’s intelligence suggesting it’s something else.

The idea that James is honoring Jordan is, well, pure mythology. In a lot of ways, LeBron’s working to distance himself from him. Truth be told, they are rivals far more than confidants. With different lines of shoes, they are competing for power within Nike. They’ll be competing in the Eastern Conference, where the Charlotte Bobcats have beaten the Cavaliers two of three times this season and could be an opening-round opponent. They’ll be competing in collective bargaining talks, owner versus player.

They’ve never been close, although Jordan has never been overly generous with the next generation of NBA icons. He’ll show those players within the Jordan Brand some attention, but his interaction with LeBron and Kobe mostly stems from professional courtesy. Jordan is still protective of his legacy as the greatest player ever, and he’s never been terribly motivated to lend a hand in the overtaking of that.

Around the time James started with his bit about retiring Jordan’s number, Jordan sat with Pat Riley in Miami for a Cavs-Heat game in November. It didn’t go unnoticed to those sitting around them how often James would peer over, searching for some kind of approval from Jordan. He’d make a play and glance over – and it was probably no accident that Jordan offered little to no response. After all, Jordan was there to promote Dwyane Wade(notes) as an endorser to his line of shoes, so James was treated as afterthought.

“He’s always looked for that approval from Michael,
[/h1]

Judging by what we've seen from his personality, I honestly believe that he is changing numbers to pay respect to mike. Of course the media is gonna try to make it as juicy as possible. I think 6 is a good number for him, I somewhat gives him his own identity.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Judging by what we've seen from his personality, I honestly believe that he is changing numbers to pay respect to mike. Of course the media is gonna try to make it as juicy as possible. I think 6 is a good number for him, I somewhat gives him his own identity.

Bill Russell lil _

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

which team has #23 retired?

miami and chicago

nerd.gif

pimp.gif

yes sir.... he wants to play along side wade in miami.. might as well change his # now.. sorry chalmers...

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

grin.gif
dude doesnt care about honoring mj. if he feels that no one should ever wear 23, he would have changed the # a long time ago.
you hooked on that lebron @#$%, like OC and PRETTYPLAYA, too?

Whether the number change is business motivated, or just an homage to the greatest, I don't have a problem with Bron wearing Russell's #6. It's just my opinion, and I'm not tryin to

disrespect his eleven rings, but whenever I see old Bill Russell highlights he's doggin unathletic, pasty no names that make Chris Dudley look like Amare Stoudemire.

james-lebron_knicks6_200.jpg
LeBron James is changing his number next year from 23 to 6.
Althoughthe Cleveland Cavaliers star says it’s out of respect for MichaelJordan, who wore the number, many cynics have said that James will sellmore jerseys and therefore make more money.

That’s actually not the case.

Inthe NBA, unlike the NFL, the money made from jersey sales and otherlicensed products has been shared equally since the 1995 grouplicensing agreement was put together by the union.

Thatmeans that LeBron’s teammate Anderson Varejao makes as much as LeBron,even though sales of James’ jersey ranks second in the league andVarejao isn’t close to the top 50.

NFL players do get cut a check based on how well their jersey sells.

Jamescomplied with NBA rules by filing for the number change before the endof this week. Players, who have played on the same team, have to wear anumber for five years before they can change. If a player changesteams, which LeBron might, a player can choose any number.

One piece of business that definitely will be impacted will be James' Nike "L23" logo, which is on all his shoes and apparel.

--Him changin numbers aint got nothin to do with MJ.
--Bron pickin up hustlin pointers from his good friend, Jay-Z.
--Number change = more jersey sales.

if lebron was so intent on staying, why did he wait until the final week of the deadline? literally a day or two before?

btw I like how the whole state is coming together to guilt trip the guy into staying. ohhh nooo if bron leaves Cleveland will be in shambles. if he stays you guys are gonna end up voting this guy governor

Originally Posted by DubA169

if lebron was so intent on staying, why did he wait until the final week of the deadline? literally a day or two before?

btw I like how the whole state is coming together to guilt trip the guy into staying. ohhh nooo if bron leaves Cleveland will be in shambles. if he stays you guys are gonna end up voting this guy governor
no doubt about it that theyll vote bron for governor...i mean this state is the reason why dubya had a second term
laugh.gif

Did armfizzle just say Bill Russell was playing against guys worse than Dudley? Um...Wilt?

Back
Top Bottom