Legit Work from Home Thread vol. Money on the Couch

Since I've fielded a few questions from legitimately interested parties about doing this, and don't think I'm the only one on NT who does, I thought a thread might be a good place to pool our resources as well as let those curious about punching a time clock for the last time in on our little secret.

Developing a skill and selling it directly is the future of employment. In 10 years, many entry-level jobs will be either gone, filled (at the 2023 minimum wage of $10.25) or on the way to being phased out. It's time for everyone to learn that there is another way.

It probably won't pay the bills when you first start out, but with a little time put in and a few step-ups of your game, you can easily finance your life on your own time.

Some good resources to get started:
-oDesk (jobs of all descriptions, call center/writing/editing/graphic design/filmmakingtech support, just for a few things I know some NTers know how to do).

-Write.com: (paid articles, okay money, strict guidelines)

-Demand Media Studios (another paid writing site)

-Craigslist (don't look at me like that, the jobs section can be $ for the right people. Try searching out of area for telecommute gigs.)

Most of my known sources of work involve writing, but that's what I do. I'm sure others can offer alternate sources of freelance work, which is why this thread exists.

Oh, and a pic of my office, just because I like being here so much and never got to say that sentence about an office before. This can also be a PYO thread
laugh.gif

Anyway, if this thread is needed, it is now here. If not, meh.

Let's get to work.

laugh.gif
At the risk of derailing this completely serious thread, yes. It's fun to watch on a "cloudy day."
Lava lamps are a must inside a potheads room
pimp.gif
YES   ..... That **** will make you think about the universes creation and ish

Man zone out and wondering "what do lions think about? what are their views on the world? do they look at the clouds and see shapes ?? 
nerd.gif
 "

I've worked from home and I believe its an overrated experience. Its nice to work from your desk in a t-shirt and some shorts, but I'd rather be in the office for things like a crisis or staff meetings. Much easier to do things from an actual brick and mortar location than a virtual. Also, the better Wi-Fi and my own workstation with up to date hardware at the office is a plus.

Last edited:
I had a lime green lava lamp in my room when i lived with my parents. ahh the memories.

I was writing for textbroker, then found writeraccess, which paid better. 4 star writer on both.

What is the PPW on those writing sites capt?

Years ago I worked for ChaCha and was making bank, but they dramatically lowered the pay since everybody has a smartphone now and nobody uses their services.

Quote:
YES   ..... That **** will make you think about the universes creation and ish

Man zone out and wondering "what do lions think about? what are their views on the world? do they look at the clouds and see shapes ?? 
nerd.gif
 "
laugh.gif
Is this really going to happen? I hereby endorse the discussion of lava lamps in this thread.

However, as the OP, I have a duty to at least try to keep things on track, so:
I've worked from home and I believe its an overrated experience. Its nice to work from your desk in a t-shirt and some shorts, but I'd rather be in the office for things like a crisis or staff meetings. Much easier to do things from an actual brick and mortar location than a virtual. Also, the better Wi-Fi and my own workstation with up to date hardware at the office is a plus.
It's true that the supplies are a little better in Corporate America and I guess a need for collaboration could impact the viability of a work-from-home model, but the freedom is unparalleled in my opinion. For me, autonomy and a lack of stress are a couple of the most important facets of having a job.

I was writing for textbroker, then found writeraccess, which paid better. 4 star writer on both.

What is the PPW on those writing sites capt?

Years ago I worked for ChaCha and was making bank, but they dramatically lowered the pay since everybody has a smartphone now and nobody uses their services.
Write.com is around 3 cents a word, Demand Media Studios varies based on experience/skill and oDesk is more of an assignment-style place, so that fluctuates based on what you're willing to do and how much you're willing to take to do it. You can make pretty decent money if your skills are up to par.

best site to write for at the moment? I wanna try it out
I'd recommend Write.com...the articles are pretty simple and pay a decent entry amount. They are sticklers for spelling/grammar tho. If you want to build up your portfolio first so you can command more and better jobs later, I'd recommend oDesk...you're going to start out on the bottom to be sure, but people love them damn samples.

Last edited:
My work environments were far from corporate. Actually very casual with non traditional hours. I just preferred working in the office compared to home. There were pluses to working at home like being able to run my errands when my assignments for the day were done and having longer breaks than usual.

so ihave two questions.

where can i buy a green lava lamp?

and besides writing and graphic design (im not a creative person) is there anything else i can do to make some extra cash onthe computer?

There's plenty of IT work that can be done remotely. ODesk is a great site. Thanks for the recommendation. The only downside is that you have to take some tests.

Everyone on NT know I work from home. I rent out an office in Manhattan if I need a team for more than a week. But yeah, it's great been self-employed for a while now. The money is great and I live stress free. No office or racial politics, and I work on my own schedule. Only downside (and it really isn't a downside) is discipline.  Getting up and working on a schedule. Sticking to it and managing you time wisely.

If anyone needs any tips let know. (paper work, apps, programs and time management etc.)

Everyone on NT know I work from home. I rent out an office in Manhattan if I need a team for more than a week. But yeah, it's great been self-employed for a while now. The money is great and I live stress free. No office or racial politics, and I work on my own schedule. Only downside (and it really isn't a downside) is discipline.  Getting up and working on a schedule. Sticking to it and managing you time wisely.

If anyone needs any tips let know. (paper work, apps, programs and time management etc.)
Yo i'll send u a PM later...i need help getting started on this work from home stuff, tired of the office life and im ready to ditch it n get this money like yall succesful work from home dudes :pimp:

how do u manage ur time?
I use an app called Schedule Planner for Android. I give myself work hours and goals. If I exceed my goals then I have free time and if I don't I penalize myself by working weekends until I'm finished completely. 
Yo i'll send u a PM later...i need help getting started on this work from home stuff, tired of the office life and im ready to ditch it n get this money like yall succesful work from home dudes
pimp.gif
Cool let me know. I like to see people becoming their own boss.

Back
Top Bottom