Let's face it, Jay-Z is the bar in which we compare rappers to because he is the best. PERIOD

I'm a Jay fan but I also know that he's overrated as hell.

He's no where close to the best/most talented MC/rapper ever.....lyrically or song wise.

He's had the Greatest Career of All Time, no question.....but MC's like Nas, Pun and Em rap circles around him, post RD

Never seen so much truth spoken in one post! :nthat:

A lot of people, many of you on here included, consider him to be the best because of his status, the money, the girl, and the limelight.

Hate to break it to you, and antidope, he isn't the best rapper... in my opinion of course.

Like I listen to his guest verses that he drops lately and it's so wack bruh but everyone eats it up because it's Jay :smh:

That's when you know someone isn't as great as they are made out to be when their mediocre crap gets hailed as best thing because it's being based off of their status and fanbase.

Couldnt agree more. Hit the nail on the head with this post.

Jay to me has gotten lazy the past couple years. He knows that no matter what he does people are gonna eat it up so the effort isnt really there anymore. Kanye's beats are what carries most of his songs.

Now if you ask me who is a Better rapper to me is Nas or Eminem.

Music is subjective but one thing Hov makes sure he does is cover all bases and gives just enough polictics,emotion, and personal story to feel authentic. 

Not sure how people don't consider him one of the best if not thee best lyricist tho.  Hov has bars for days while having flow and some content within his rhymes.

He's #1 to me. While he can't/won't do a Tupac or Nas type song.  They can't do what he does either

In terms of success, substance, best catalog,  impact, longevity, and ability? Yes. He's the perfect rapper in that sense.​

You couldn't say someone like Nas because he hasn't had the success of a Jay Z. I like Nas tho. Him and Jay are definitely the two greatest to ever do it.​

Can't really say Em because . . . let's face it Em is a cornball, never could really rock with him. Definitely probably the most successful rapper in terms of straight up numbers.​

But if you disagree . . . If not Jay, who?​

Agreed.

His classic Reasonable Doubt is a canal street bootleg of Only Built For Cuban Linx from da concept to da raps.

That's one hell of a statement.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree... i'm not saying you're right or wrong... i'm just saying that's one hell of a statement.

"Rakim set the standard"

Indeed.

Even if these new kids don't mention him by name you can bet your bottom dollar that they were influenced by someone... who was DIRECTLY influenced by Rakim (Jay,Nas etc).

:lol: You just can't avoid the God.

illmatic = reasonable doubt

the blueprint >>>>>>>>>>>>>> it was written ..
roll.gif
 @ even comparing them...

yall throwin rocks at the throne just cause now...saying dude only has one good album, or the lost tapes >> his discography..lol..the disrespect is blatant

get real, yall kno jay miles ahead of anybody not named biggie (including tupac and nas)..its that knowledge that your hate stems from...you dont want him to be better than your fav rapper...but you know he is..

not even bringing up the numbers, or the 'girl' or anything else..bar for bar, song for song jay z >>>> your fav rapper(not big) ...

'cause a N wear kufi it dont mean that he bright

cause you dont understand him it dont mean that hes nice'

Last edited:

roll.gif

@ even comparing them...

it was written is better conceptually and lyrically than the blueprint. better story telling, imagery and singles. i like the blueprint, but its not better.

cause a N tell you he's the nicest for his entire career doesn't make him the nicest.

roll.gif

@ even comparing them...

I don't see what's so funny about this. It Was Written is a criminally underrated album. It may not be the commercial success The Blueprint was (though it still went platinum) but it's an album full of high quality songs.

Last edited:
I see it like this Jay-Z is the greatest cause he proved he can make any type of song and his influence on the culture. He's really the Mike Jordan of rap. Jordan was great, but was he a better shooter than Reggie? Could he rebound better than Barkley? Did he have a better eye than Kidd? No. Just he was a great overall player and if you tested him he'll drop 10 assist, just cause. 6 rings and 11 #1 albums, no matter if Glen Rice could out shoot Jordan or if AZ can rap circles around Jay-Z, they're still the greatest. 

roll.gif

@ even comparing them...

This statement is a clear indicator of which rapper you prefer

Blueprint is great, lyrically it's great but the production is what makes it so phenomenal but let's not act like there isn't TRASH on this album.

I would take It Was Written over Blueprint without a doubt and I love Blueprint. Blueprint has some of his best work but some of the songs sound too similar after awhile.

roll.gif

@ even comparing them...

it was written is better conceptually and lyrically than the blueprint. better story telling, imagery and singles. i like the blueprint, but its not better.

cause a N tell you he's the nicest for his entire career doesn't make him the nicest.
Glad someone said it

I don't see what's so funny about this. It Was Written is a criminally underrated album. It may not be the commercial success The Blueprint was (though it still went platinum) but it's an album full of high quality songs.

IWW actually went double plat and I don't see how anybody other then the biggest Jay fans can say Blueprint is so much better then IWW. It as better production but going bar for bar comparing tracks on each album, Nas comes up on top

Great post OP. I agree with this. Repped.

The Jay hate on this forum has reached unprecedented levels.
It sure has. This is the third thread on the front page where people are just tossing around JAY-Z hate. But its a consequence of being the best. When you're the best, people always have to try and discredit you and replace you with someone else who is clearly unworthy.

roll.gif
 @ even comparing them...

yall throwin rocks at the throne just cause now...saying dude only has one good album, or the lost tapes >> his discography..lol..the disrespect is blatant

get real, yall kno jay miles ahead of anybody not named biggie (including tupac and nas)..its that knowledge that your hate stems from...you dont want him to be better than your fav rapper...but you know he is..

not even bringing up the numbers, or the 'girl' or anything else..bar for bar, song for song jay z >>>> your fav rapper(not big) ...

You earned this. 100% accuracy

Last edited:
It sure has. This is the third thread on the front page where people are just tossing around JAY-Z hate. But its a consequence of being the best. When you're the best, people always have to try and discredit you and replace you with someone else who is clearly unworthy.

It's also possible people are growing up and realizing certain songs or albums just don't move them anymore.

It's also possible people are growing up and realizing certain songs or albums just don't move them anymore.
Unlikely. This is how the music forum has always been, Hov slander is just the cool thing to do, so people hop on the bandwagon and say crazy things like 90% of his work is bad, yet NaS' catalogue is flawless. I'm just starting to think that theres a giant trolling conspiracy going on around here.

Last edited:
Da difference between nas & jay-z is da people crowned Esco da best

While hova crowned him self.

Reasonable doubt dropped and it aint nake a peep compared to more worthy

Classics that same year (fugees, it was written, all eyez on me)

Cuz he was jumpin on that mafioso rap bandwagon late & unoriginal.

There's a reason he didnt blow till vol. 2.

And who said it was written wasnt commercially successful? Lol

Back packers for years ruined da perception of that album till cooler heads

Prevailed. Thats still my favorite Nas album.

Unlikely. This is how the music forum has always been, Hov slander is just the cool thing to do, so people hop on the bandwagon and say crazy things like 90% of his work is bad, yet NaS' catalogue is flawless. I'm just starting to think that theres a giant trolling conspiracy going on around here.

Who the hell said all that? We all know Nas got a few duds in his catalog too. No one says he doesn't. But Jay isn't some untouchable my dude. He can get criticism thrown his way. While there have been some outlandish statements over the past few days let's not act like Jay is flawless.

Nas' catalog is not flawless but its better than Jay-z's

Blueprint better than It was written? :lol:

Blueprint is nice but it's not better than RD or IWW. Not even close.

THIS.

I appreciate Jay for the great artist and business man that he is but some of his fans really think he is some deity that can't be criticized and has no flaws.

Like...BIG doesn't have enough music, Pac wasn't lyrical enough, Nas can't make club songs, Em is corny, Cam fell off, Rakim is too old school....

BUT JAY-Z IS GOD.

Get that man's meat out of your throats. He's human like everyone else and has a lot of weaknesses musically.

If someone talks about those weakpoints it doesn't mean that they're hating.

A lot of dudes older work sounds extra average when you take your head out of the hype cloud....a lot of tracks on Vol. 1 sound like Clue tape throwaways tracks.

Its ok man, you know the truth. SDE is better than all of JAY-Zs post RD work. Only you have realized the truth
eyes.gif

Jay groupies talking about Jay haters. Hysterical.

And, of course, the people right in between are making the most sense.

Dude is really trying to re-write history here.

Comedy.

As someone said, it's easy to see which artist you prefer. Along with the rest of the jokers in here.

:lol: @ "Hov slander" and the pedestal you've put this man on.

No one said anything about 90% or Nas having a flawless catalog. Stop with the hysterical projecting.

It's not a trolling conspiracy. It's just a reality that your idol worship will not allow you to grasp.

Jay, Kanye, or any artist for that matter is not above criticism. It's just laughable to see people get all bent out of shape about it.

Last edited:
I think Jay, Big, Pac Nas and Em are pretty much on the same level but what separates Jay is his consistency(unfortunately we don't know how Pac and Big careers would have gone). He'll have a Kingdom Come or BP3 but for the most part he has consistently put out great albums.

Reasonable Doubt
Blueprint
Black Album
American Gangster

In no order those are his top 4 albums and they ish on any other rappers top 4 albums. And its funny to me how the people that say he's overrated ALWAYS compare their favorite rappers to Jay especially Cam and Nas fans. Jay is in a whole different league than Cam as a rapper. Nas and Jay... Same league but that debate been old.

When your the best, your the standard and at the top of your field.  With that being said currently, it's Jay and everybody else is a a distant second.

"He's the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be" 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Music is subjective but one thing Hov makes sure he does is cover all bases and gives just enough polictics,emotion, and personal story to feel authentic. 

Not sure how people don't consider him one of the best if not thee best lyricist tho.  Hov has bars for days while having flow and some content within his rhymes.

He's #1 to me. While he can't/won't do a Tupac or Nas type song.  They can't do what he does either

Agreed dude might not be the best lyricist to u guys but he's definitely is the best all around / most complete rapper

Back
Top Bottom