Lets get a tips, tricks & steps 2 help Produce STICKY PL

^^ ReWire into logic just to use the synths in logic...why wouldn't you want to use some great sounding synths??

and I agree with what floss said regarding PT HD...but I think it all depends on what your needs are, if you are trying to do a nice little home studio yournot really going to need to spend the $10,000 on an HD system with a 192 I/O....the only thing you are paying for when you get an HD system IMO is all theprocessing cards n !@$+ like that...it allows for your plug ins to run through a core card and not through your CPU and all this A/D processing and some othernice things....now I don't think you'll be doing a big *%! recording of over 48 tracks if your at home...if you can get Pro Tools with the MusicProduction tool kit or the DV Tool kit I think you'll have a great version of PT for a home studio, don't get it right away though..I'd suggest, ifyou really want PT, get 7.4 and see if you do need that additional stuff that comes with the Tool Kits...because some of the features of an HD system comealong with the Tool Kits...

and i seen some of you are taking Pro Tools classes, I know some schools get student discounts from the digidesign website where its almost like 50% off...socheck that out with your school before buying anything...

Question fellas..... Im about to get in to recording my own music. Not produce... just quality recording. Now if I purchase protools 7.4 LE. How much RAM willI need to run my laptop? 2 maybe 3? I dunno , i keep getting different answers. Im not a new artist I just wanna record on my own so I can start , stopwhenever i want

2 will do just fine if you have at least a 2005 pc and then if your doing normal recording meaning instrument tracks, minimal effects on vocals and minimalautomation your fine

3 would be for an outdated pc or heavy producing and recording

remember Pt le only gives you 32 tracks

Originally Posted by flossb15

2 will do just fine if you have at least a 2005 pc and then if your doing normal recording meaning instrument tracks, minimal effects on vocals and minimal automation your fine

3 would be for an outdated pc or heavy producing and recording

remember Pt le only gives you 32 tracks

Cool, so it doesnt really matter if i get a mac mini or a dell. As long as it has 2gb of Ram it should run smooth. I dont wanna hop on the mac bandwagonbut a lot of people are telling me MAC is the way to go.

Mac is really not the only solution dont buy the hype, if you have Xp - and a semi strong pc - install PT and you'd be good

Originally Posted by TW3EK

just make sure 32 tracks is enough...

No such thing.
smh.gif

I dunno about you guys, but I need atleast 6 tracks for just one track.
laugh.gif
But you can always do audio mixdowns.

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

I just got Logic Pro the other day from a friend, and I haven't messed with it too much since I've got it...it comes with like 5 discs or something to download everything..but anyways, there are little things in Pro Tools that make mixing/editing so easy like Tab to transiet, when you hit tab it'll move your selector tool to the closest transient allowing you to make some pretty good selections for editing, I don't think you can have groups in Logic (don't take my word on it yet though...) where you can have all your drum tracks as one group so when you move one fader all the faders for that group will move along with it...and just the overall apperance of the windows, Pro Tools is very easy to use because they have all the edit tools on the top of the screen where as I can't even really see them in Logic...

but to be honest with you, if you can find a nice steady work flow with Logic then I'm sure you'll be fine...I seen that you had kind of a post production goal and I've done a little bit of post production work with both Logic and Pro Tools and they both managed pretty well aside from the fact that editing with Pro Tools is way easier with audio files. With the Logic I used a lot of MIDI to create a lot of my own sound effects and used the ESX24(?) sampler...you can create your own sound effects and put it into a sampler and use different pitches of the sound to make it sound different every time, its a pretty powerful thing and it has a lot of ambiant sounds from what i remember which is a very important thing when doing Post Production...with Pro Tools you'll have to create all your own sounds because it doesn't really have a sound library like Logic...but you should check out Pro Tools LE with a DV Tool kit, check that out in the digidesign site I'm not sure the exact specs but it updates the regular LE version to act more like a post production program, I know it upgrades your track count from 32 to 48 and adds a couple of features...

I know I'm kinda twisting you in two different directions but I'm just trying to show you the positives of both Logic and Pro Tools...they are just good in there own ways...kinda difficult to say one is better than the other...

Thank you sir, that is actually great information I did not know about.

And Digi003 sucks IMO. It's good for mixing and mastering as a controller daw. But the preamps are Toys R Us quality to me.

Again it's not that Mac is better than PC, it's that Logic/Final Cut >>> Pro Tools. (or not...)

Question: Is it worth reading through this whole thread?? Or is it 90 percent newb questions on gear? (no offense to newbs, cuz its good to ask questions, andwere all newbs in this business)

Any gems in between these pages?

most is newb questions...

gems i can remember...the discussion on monitors and the many others on recording techniques and tips...

did u still want that mpd?

Does anybody know some websites that have vst plugins for sampler keyboards in which I can load samples on and use on FL Studio via a usb keyboard? Feedbackwould be greatly appreciated.

wow theres crazy information on here. I'm just a dj running pro tools 7.4 off a mbox2 on a quad g5. In all honesty its hectic learning this day to day. ifigure the more time i spend fooling around and making mixtapes the more i'll learn shortcuts and become more efficient with the product. I spent alot, buti'm def. getting my moneys worth but i think i can push the envelope more and get more from my money. my question is it possible to record in double timesay a scratch or a beat in slower the speed but then speed it up to normal? ive heard a few mixtapes and also albums (i.e. turf talks album dj e-rock does somecrazy scratches at the end of a song but my boy says he was cheating) where people will twerk alot with the pitch of things and make it sound on beat withoutthe bpms of the original even close to matching. like mashups and stuff like that. i know theres plenty of effects but i wanted to learn basic effects orhahaha cheats to tweak my sound a little and give myself a competitive edge over other djs using basic recording programs like cool edit. no disrespect to cooledit cuz i used to use it back in the day but when i got pro tools i was blown away. and i was also reading about how u guys use samples through reason? my protools came with reason 3.0 so now im more interested in learning to reloop samples and puts beats over them... man alot of newb questions but is anyone elseusing pro tools just for mixtape purposes?

^If I understand correctly, you could change the pitch using one of the plug ins that come with PT...but they sound like @%#...I don't think you can recordtwice the speed into PT, atleast not that I know of....I haven't messed to much with 7.4, but you can time stretch and change the pitch with elastic audioif I remember correctley....and elastic audio was soundin real nice when I was hearing it as far as a time compansion/expansion tool...

So how come none of y'all told me bout Boot Camp on the Mac....?
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

I had no idea you could use that and toggle between Leopard and Windows on a Mac. That solves every last one of my problems.

I believe I'll be goin' and getting my MacBook Pro tomorrow, with the ol' student discount. Probably gonna pick up Logic, too, since it's socheap.

I'm glad that those newer models came out, cuz now the models prior to that went down in price.

cool thanks beatjunkie ... ill look more into that program... im still learning my basics off pro tools but i try to spend as much time as i can just so i canlearn...

quick question to beatjunkie5 ... any relations to the real beat junkies dj crew? haha sorry i just had to ask!

haha, no relation to the Beat Junkies...but to go in depth a little more with your question...if you go into Logic, its been awhile since I messed withLogic...but if I remember correctly you can make Apple Loops of audio samples/loops and then it'll be basically running off of your BMP so then you'llbe able to speed it up or down....but I'm not to familiar with it but you should google it and check it out....

and as far as Boot Camp,
laugh.gif
my bad dude...but in all honesty if your spending all that moeny on a MacBook Pro then you'll just want to use the Macoperating system, there's no real reason to switch it up to Windows because most audio programs are compatible with both so why would you really need bothLeopard and Windows? Unless your using it for other purposes as well then hey, its the best of both worlds and you got nothing to worry about...

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

and as far as Boot Camp,
laugh.gif
my bad dude...but in all honesty if your spending all that moeny on a MacBook Pro then you'll just want to use the Mac operating system, there's no real reason to switch it up to Windows because most audio programs are compatible with both so why would you really need both Leopard and Windows? Unless your using it for other purposes as well then hey, its the best of both worlds and you got nothing to worry about...

laugh.gif

Yeah, I know... I'm sure I'll end up sticking on the Mac side of things, once I get used to it all.

It's just nice to know that there's the luxury of switching over to Windows, if need be.

Well my lazy *%# couldn't walk, literally, around the corner to the school Apple store today, so no MacBook yet... Tomorrow, though... I must!

u buggin fam... maybe its cuz I'm a nerd (shhhh) but I woulda ran to that joint soon as I woke
laugh.gif

aiight thanks man will be trying it tonight haha....it sucks cuz all my boys that are pro tool certified or have a well knowledge of pro tools live back homein the bay and im in socal but i guess it works out for the better learning on my own... i'm not in depth with the whole production scene yet but i justwant my mixtapes to have a quality to them then all them bootleg wayne type cds floating around don't hahaha...

and pusha man get that mac... especially if you're using it with school you it'll be easier to come home and look at your screen and be apply what ujust learned. im pretty sure it COULD be the same with windows but also your shortcuts that u learn in class will be easily applied also imo.

its crazy theres more information on here for what everyones doing then if you went to a "professional" site and try searching for your problem...bigups

Alright, I dunno I feel like I've hit a wall production wise with running Reason through FL via ReWire. I copped Protools with the Mbox 2 yada yada but myPC doesn't have enough RAM. Right now I'm looking for something to take my production to the next level...What should I get? Logic? MPC? Macbook ProTHEN Logic? Can you run Logic through PC?

Back
Top Bottom