Lets get a tips, tricks & steps 2 help Produce STICKY PL

Been a while since I've been in this thread.

Here's a book that completely revolutionized my whole approach to sound engineering. A hefty price, but definitely worth it.. great concepts that you won't be able to get from anywhere else. If you feel like you're reaching a plateau with regards to your mixing abilities and what not, this should help get you over the hump.

http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/

Definitely meant for people who have had some pretty solid experience under their belt, but a great help nonetheless. Teaches you what you should be thinking and listening for as you adjust levels, turn knobs, apply effects, etc. as opposed to stuff like "boost at so-and-so frequency to gain "adjective here"" kind of guidance. It is divided up so that you can visit only the chapters that are of immediate interest, but the whole text refers to underlying principles regarding sound that are the foundation for all concepts explained.

I used to hate mixing, but I LOVE it now.

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

If anyone needs assistance with engineering, basic production, or mixing and mastering, contact me, iedf@att. or edfmusic@gmail.com

pimp.gif
 will do. I have some questions about some protools setups. 

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

If anyone needs assistance with engineering, basic production, or mixing and mastering, contact me, iedf@att. or edfmusic@gmail.com

pimp.gif
 will do. I have some questions about some protools setups. 
No doubt, hit me up, I can steer you in the right direction and save money if possible if you aren't the type who needs the best/most recent interface. Either address is good, the first one is for the iPhone directly, the second is my desktop email.

I'm also in the business of setting up laptops and desktops for recording and "loading" them up so if you are interested, get at me as well.

did you guys learn how to use reason just by messing around with it/trying stuff? im trying to learn (quickly, if possible), and I'm wondering what the best way would be. If anyone has links to good tutorials for beginners, id appreciate it
thanks!

To anybody with an MPC, what audio interface are you guys rocking with? I'm looking at a PreSonis AudioBox. Anyone own that?

glad i found this thread.
like everyone else, i want to get into production

I got a mpc 2000xl for a good price a few weeks back, and am wondering what else would you guys think is ESSENTIAL to making beats and recording them.

Also, my bro has got a co worker selling a mbox 2 mini for $100. Comes with pro tools LE.

Is this a good investment? what exactly does this mbox offer?
any help is appreciated. been reading up on so many things, and it all just seems overwhelming.

I got a million mpc questions, but I wont ask until I complete the setup (i.e. external zip drive) and start to figure out what all the buttons do.

Alright NT i need some help. 

I want to start producing beats. Rap/Hip-Hop to Dubstep to Electronica. 

Examples (please listen to most of the song not just part and stop)

-Woo Boost by RUSKO 

-Basshead by Bassnectar 

-Ghost n Stuff by Deadmau5

-Lex by Ratatat

-No need to post hip hop beats cause well you know...

I just dont know where to start at. At the moment im planning on using Ableton Live 8 on my Macbook.

Besides that i dont know what i need in order to make my first beat. 

Im a lost soul who needs some guidance.

Hi guys, I want to try and start making some Hip-Hop beats, but I'm unsure where to start.
I have about 800-1000$ to buy some equipment, the first thing I need is a good computer.
Is there any laptop that someone could recommend for a beginner? I don't need the best model available, just one that will work well.
I already have some ideas in mind for a sampler and a midi keyboard. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Chao

Hi guys, I want to try and start making some Hip-Hop beats, but I'm unsure where to start.
I have about 800-1000$ to buy some equipment, the first thing I need is a good computer.
Is there any laptop that someone could recommend for a beginner? I don't need the best model available, just one that will work well.
I already have some ideas in mind for a sampler and a midi keyboard. Thanks in advance.
In terms of laptop, go with Toshiba, Lenevo, or a MAC.

I'd grab a 49 Key Axiom Controller.

In terms of samples, welcome to the interwebs.

anybody know how to use a maschine?? My boy just copped one, and I wanna learn how to get down.
I never used one before, and wanted to know about some pointers

yo. ive been struggling with a part of my production for a minute. i thought i had it figured out but i didnt. im trying to get my kick drums and a sub bass to sit well in a mix. for some reason i always get some kind of distortion where one is over powering the other. now i know the basics (at least i think i do). I use reason 3 btw, and i know how to eq certain sounds too remove unwanted frequencies and such. but i cannot grasp it still for these lower end signals for hard kicks and sub basses on a track. an example would be a track by slum village called players. yea smooth as hell yet the bass and drums stand out on there own. my tracks dont have to sound as good as that but atleast more separated. suggestions? if a reference track is needed ill post one.

So I want to start making beats and producing mostly for a hobby(been playing on my drum set for the past 5 years and want to try something new). To start off, all I got is a Macbook. What should I invest in and where can I learn more? Thanks NT!

Originally Posted by ps2child

yo. ive been struggling with a part of my production for a minute. i thought i had it figured out but i didnt. im trying to get my kick drums and a sub bass to sit well in a mix. for some reason i always get some kind of distortion where one is over powering the other. now i know the basics (at least i think i do). I use reason 3 btw, and i know how to eq certain sounds too remove unwanted frequencies and such. but i cannot grasp it still for these lower end signals for hard kicks and sub basses on a track. an example would be a track by slum village called players. yea smooth as hell yet the bass and drums stand out on there own. my tracks dont have to sound as good as that but atleast more separated. suggestions? if a reference track is needed ill post one.
Dope avy
pimp.gif

But some suggestions would be to compress the two kick drums separately...I've argued with a few people as to if you were to compress before/after the EQ, I always figured it made more sense to compress pre EQ...so you wouldn't compress everything you just subtracted/boosted...but I'm sure compressing the two would help a little with the low frequency overload your hittin on your kicks...maybe compress the two kicks to the same compressor with the same threshold/ratio...iunno, i'm kinda loaded and i'm just throwing out suggestions brodi lol good luck.

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

Dope avy
pimp.gif

But some suggestions would be to compress the two kick drums separately...I've argued with a few people as to if you were to compress before/after the EQ, I always figured it made more sense to compress pre EQ...so you wouldn't compress everything you just subtracted/boosted...but I'm sure compressing the two would help a little with the low frequency overload your hittin on your kicks...maybe compress the two kicks to the same compressor with the same threshold/ratio...iunno, i'm kinda loaded and i'm just throwing out suggestions brodi lol good luck.
My chain is usually, EQ - Compression

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

Dope avy
pimp.gif

My chain is usually, EQ - Compression

This is one of the most difficult things to really get down. I too agree with compressing prior to EQ for the same reasons, the compressor brings out all the texture of the sound for you to mold/cut away with the EQ. What kind of acoustic environment are you working in? It's hard to nail the low end unless your room is catered to handle the bass. I find that people tend to mix their bass lines too loud relative to their kick, which results in a loss of punch/muddiness.

If you have an example of a track that you made that has this problem, I can listen to it and do my best to tell you how to fix it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom