Lets get this out of the way: How much of your opinion is based on nostaligia? Vol. For Discussion

I'll just start off saying that I'm a fan of a lot of these new artists...  Its pretty obvious. I often butt heads with a lot of people on here because I don't understand why its so hard to just accept that some artists will cease to exist and others will replace them and grow upon what they did.

It seems that even on this board where new talent has risen and gone on to pretty successful careers that many people tend to always prefer what once was. Often times I note that while people tend to prefer older messages and songs that they are many times NOT different from what artists are doing now. There are many similarities in what we see now and what once was. However things change and evolve. Why is it that rap fans are so difficult to evolve and to expand? No one said that NOT changing is wrong, but to openly hate on new talent...because you don't associate with it is somewhat counterproductive to a culture that was only largely accepted by the masses within our young lifetimes.

Whats wrong with accepting or appreciating something new? My mentality has always been...if I want that older music... I'll go listen to it. Why expect artists to keep coming out with the same old stuff?

I'll just start off saying that I'm a fan of a lot of these new artists...  Its pretty obvious. I often butt heads with a lot of people on here because I don't understand why its so hard to just accept that some artists will cease to exist and others will replace them and grow upon what they did.

It seems that even on this board where new talent has risen and gone on to pretty successful careers that many people tend to always prefer what once was. Often times I note that while people tend to prefer older messages and songs that they are many times NOT different from what artists are doing now. There are many similarities in what we see now and what once was. However things change and evolve. Why is it that rap fans are so difficult to evolve and to expand? No one said that NOT changing is wrong, but to openly hate on new talent...because you don't associate with it is somewhat counterproductive to a culture that was only largely accepted by the masses within our young lifetimes.

Whats wrong with accepting or appreciating something new? My mentality has always been...if I want that older music... I'll go listen to it. Why expect artists to keep coming out with the same old stuff?

When it comes to an artists new material, I take it for what it is & try not to compare it in terms of old material. Fro example with Jay... Im not gonna say BP3 doesn't live up to RD so it's not good. I'll take it for what it is.

I'll rank new albums in with an artists discography, but I won't base a decision off something like that by basing off older work.

I learned not to do this after Kanye's 808's dropped. I hated that album at 1st because I compared it to his older work. I realized when I take it for what it is & don't base it off older work, new material sounds a lot better.

When it comes to an artists new material, I take it for what it is & try not to compare it in terms of old material. Fro example with Jay... Im not gonna say BP3 doesn't live up to RD so it's not good. I'll take it for what it is.

I'll rank new albums in with an artists discography, but I won't base a decision off something like that by basing off older work.

I learned not to do this after Kanye's 808's dropped. I hated that album at 1st because I compared it to his older work. I realized when I take it for what it is & don't base it off older work, new material sounds a lot better.

For me I started listening to Rap music in the early 80's and I still listen to the new stuff and always will. My complaint isn't that the new stuff is bad, because it's not, there's definitely some great stuff that comes out every year. My complaint is that there's just not as much originality any more. Only a few artists are really stepping out of the box and trying to do something different or actually have their own style. I mean it used to be a career suicide to copy someone else's style back in the early days of Rap music. Nowadays it's highly accepted and beneficial if you sound exactly like everyone else.

Sure the messages are going to change over time and the content will always have to be updated, but just be original about it. To me what really kills Rap these days is the lack of consistency in one project which in the last few years, I must say, I've seen a big return to which I think is great. For so many years it was like every album was a compilation with every song having a different producer and a laundry list of guest stars. To me what makes a classic album is one or two producers who go for making a unified sound on an album or one producer with one concept for the sound of the album (like a Primo or Kanye these days) and then the artist on the cover of the album being the main rapper. Too many compilation type albums is what killed it for me for a long time. But as of late I've seen a nice resurgence of originality and album fluidity and consistency and that's what's brought a lot of good music back into Rap.

So that's my opinion on it. I will always listen to what's new because there's nothing better than hearing something incredible for the first time. But at the same time I want to hear people really strive for originality and not just the next song to make a stupid dance to. But of course what I heard when I was really defining my life will always be what's best to me because it will always bring back so many great memories but that will never jade my view of what can be great today.

For me I started listening to Rap music in the early 80's and I still listen to the new stuff and always will. My complaint isn't that the new stuff is bad, because it's not, there's definitely some great stuff that comes out every year. My complaint is that there's just not as much originality any more. Only a few artists are really stepping out of the box and trying to do something different or actually have their own style. I mean it used to be a career suicide to copy someone else's style back in the early days of Rap music. Nowadays it's highly accepted and beneficial if you sound exactly like everyone else.

Sure the messages are going to change over time and the content will always have to be updated, but just be original about it. To me what really kills Rap these days is the lack of consistency in one project which in the last few years, I must say, I've seen a big return to which I think is great. For so many years it was like every album was a compilation with every song having a different producer and a laundry list of guest stars. To me what makes a classic album is one or two producers who go for making a unified sound on an album or one producer with one concept for the sound of the album (like a Primo or Kanye these days) and then the artist on the cover of the album being the main rapper. Too many compilation type albums is what killed it for me for a long time. But as of late I've seen a nice resurgence of originality and album fluidity and consistency and that's what's brought a lot of good music back into Rap.

So that's my opinion on it. I will always listen to what's new because there's nothing better than hearing something incredible for the first time. But at the same time I want to hear people really strive for originality and not just the next song to make a stupid dance to. But of course what I heard when I was really defining my life will always be what's best to me because it will always bring back so many great memories but that will never jade my view of what can be great today.

You know I really don't make it a habit to enter threads for artists that i'm not too fond of and tell the whole world
(or NT) what I think because complaining about the quality of the music coming from this new breed is pointless.As you stated,you can always go back and listen to the old %%!@ which is basically what I do when it comes to Hip Hop and R&B (if you wanna call it that).Now as far as how much nostalgia plays a part in my
outlook on the current scene, i'd have to say it plays a part,but not a sizable enough part to blind me to the good stuff that IS out there.Now as far as that whole "hating" thing goes...
If I ain't feeling your %%!@...
I'M JUST NOT FEELING YOUR %%!@.*shrug*

You know I really don't make it a habit to enter threads for artists that i'm not too fond of and tell the whole world
(or NT) what I think because complaining about the quality of the music coming from this new breed is pointless.As you stated,you can always go back and listen to the old %%!@ which is basically what I do when it comes to Hip Hop and R&B (if you wanna call it that).Now as far as how much nostalgia plays a part in my
outlook on the current scene, i'd have to say it plays a part,but not a sizable enough part to blind me to the good stuff that IS out there.Now as far as that whole "hating" thing goes...
If I ain't feeling your %%!@...
I'M JUST NOT FEELING YOUR %%!@.*shrug*

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Often times I note that while people tend to prefer older messages and songs that they are many times NOT different from what artists are doing now. There are many similarities in what we see now and what once was.
Wrong.

I appreciate the new for what it is and the old for what it was but I never make the mistake of trying to make the two congruent. It's like the NBA of now and the NBA of old. Same sport, played different ways. I understand why someone would like either.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Often times I note that while people tend to prefer older messages and songs that they are many times NOT different from what artists are doing now. There are many similarities in what we see now and what once was.
Wrong.

I appreciate the new for what it is and the old for what it was but I never make the mistake of trying to make the two congruent. It's like the NBA of now and the NBA of old. Same sport, played different ways. I understand why someone would like either.

Not much i grew up in the biggie & pac era, but im really enjoyin this new $#!+ too!!
Its some stuff i cant tolerate like wakka, gucci etc and i dont even '' hate '' them i just wont listen.

Not much i grew up in the biggie & pac era, but im really enjoyin this new $#!+ too!!
Its some stuff i cant tolerate like wakka, gucci etc and i dont even '' hate '' them i just wont listen.

Back
Top Bottom