Life right after college? vol. taking the summer off...

Originally Posted by QuaniBoiXi

i played 4 years at SSU. we were like a bad d-1 team basically. i played 3 single and doubles my senior year.
Are you playing any of the Futures coming up in June? and do you know a kid named Patrick Maloney?

Yeah get on the job hunt ASAP. Take a month off if you want, but its ugly out there.

Yeah get on the job hunt ASAP. Take a month off if you want, but its ugly out there.

Cali is rough though...These responses will be circumstantial on second thought. I can tell you that in the Seattle area it's relatively easy with a college degree to get a job, but in other states things are definitely different.

Cali is rough though...These responses will be circumstantial on second thought. I can tell you that in the Seattle area it's relatively easy with a college degree to get a job, but in other states things are definitely different.

From an unemployed college graduate, I would advise to start looking ASAP. If you have some connections though or unemployment isn't horrible in your area, I guess you will be alright.

From an unemployed college graduate, I would advise to start looking ASAP. If you have some connections though or unemployment isn't horrible in your area, I guess you will be alright.

Originally Posted by sw00shm4n

pretty much wat the above folks said. enjoy the time off, but always have a plan and be productive. If you can't find jobs, look for internships or anything that will get you experience in the career field to fill that chronological void in your resume. Sometimes, you may land a job but you won't start until a few months after securing the position (which happened to my friend and boom, he pretty much had three months to himself after graduating and starting his first job).

I myself graduated last September and didn't start looking for jobs until then. My plan is/was to apply for grad school for Spring '12 and take the necessary exam for now (which I've done). Other than that, I was hoping I'd be working by now until I start school again, but after a few months of searching and just one interview (which didn't go through) and another scheduled for Monday, let's just say my job search isn't going quite as planned.

Congrats and good luck tho OP.
This.  Theres no harm in looking now, it's better to look now and line up something and then hopefully have time to chill out before your start date rather than waiting a few months and then looking and hoping to start as soon as possible.  Im in the same boat as you, been interviewing like crazy lately tho and pretty close to landing something with a start date on September 1st.  Best of luck OP and to all class of 2011 heads.

Originally Posted by sw00shm4n

pretty much wat the above folks said. enjoy the time off, but always have a plan and be productive. If you can't find jobs, look for internships or anything that will get you experience in the career field to fill that chronological void in your resume. Sometimes, you may land a job but you won't start until a few months after securing the position (which happened to my friend and boom, he pretty much had three months to himself after graduating and starting his first job).

I myself graduated last September and didn't start looking for jobs until then. My plan is/was to apply for grad school for Spring '12 and take the necessary exam for now (which I've done). Other than that, I was hoping I'd be working by now until I start school again, but after a few months of searching and just one interview (which didn't go through) and another scheduled for Monday, let's just say my job search isn't going quite as planned.

Congrats and good luck tho OP.
This.  Theres no harm in looking now, it's better to look now and line up something and then hopefully have time to chill out before your start date rather than waiting a few months and then looking and hoping to start as soon as possible.  Im in the same boat as you, been interviewing like crazy lately tho and pretty close to landing something with a start date on September 1st.  Best of luck OP and to all class of 2011 heads.

Originally Posted by wcghost

$20 an hour is NOT doing it. Hop on that job search ASAP!!!!
glasses.gif
If he works 40 hours a week thats $40,000. Not bad for teaching tennis...

glasses.gif

Originally Posted by Furrell

Start looking for work as soon as you graduate. I'm not saying hit the pavement as soon as you get home from school. You can take a break but don't take too long of a break. While you are chilling, other grads are going to get the jobs you should have been applying for. I'm telling you from experience.

yup....i decided to "chill" for a while and its a tough habit to break, wish I started applying for jobs while I was in school, plus employers asking what u have been doing for the past 5 months when u havent done !+@* is not a good look

Originally Posted by Furrell

Start looking for work as soon as you graduate. I'm not saying hit the pavement as soon as you get home from school. You can take a break but don't take too long of a break. While you are chilling, other grads are going to get the jobs you should have been applying for. I'm telling you from experience.

yup....i decided to "chill" for a while and its a tough habit to break, wish I started applying for jobs while I was in school, plus employers asking what u have been doing for the past 5 months when u havent done !+@* is not a good look

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

glasses.gif
Depending on the neighborhood he teaches in or his clients success rate he can clear 60k with ease. Its not a bad gig at all and can be turned into a career.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

glasses.gif
Depending on the neighborhood he teaches in or his clients success rate he can clear 60k with ease. Its not a bad gig at all and can be turned into a career.

Originally Posted by versache530

on the real, you should have been looking for jobs already. i understand you just had a big accomplishment and want to just chill out for a bit, but the early bird gets the worm man.

in this economy, you almost can't afford to take time to figure out your next move. you gotta plan 2 or 3 moves in advance.

i started my job search at the beginning on my senior year. i applied any and everywhere. i was handing my resume out like flyers. on one particular day i had 4 interviews. man it was stressful, but it paid off. i had a few job offers 2 months before i graduated.

for you and all others in college, pay attention. use the schools career assistance and go to those job fairs. this is your best bet. you have all these employers in one place and all are basically saying, "i want what you have to offer, and i want it now" ever looked at some of these jobs locator sights like monster and some others? jobs will be posted for months and no occupants. those jobs aren't nessecarily in a hurry to get filled. but these job fairs and companies that participate with career centers are ready and willing to hire you.

don't miss the boat. i cant speak for everyone and all situations, but everyone that i know that i went to school with that didn't wise up and take advantage of the opportunity ended up losing out.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah I agree.  Taking a break is not a luxury for me and I honestly wouldn't want one right now since I'm pretty motivated for that cash money.

Btw, I also went to a few interviews and only got 1 job offer.  It pays peanuts but its a good start for my career.

Originally Posted by versache530

on the real, you should have been looking for jobs already. i understand you just had a big accomplishment and want to just chill out for a bit, but the early bird gets the worm man.

in this economy, you almost can't afford to take time to figure out your next move. you gotta plan 2 or 3 moves in advance.

i started my job search at the beginning on my senior year. i applied any and everywhere. i was handing my resume out like flyers. on one particular day i had 4 interviews. man it was stressful, but it paid off. i had a few job offers 2 months before i graduated.

for you and all others in college, pay attention. use the schools career assistance and go to those job fairs. this is your best bet. you have all these employers in one place and all are basically saying, "i want what you have to offer, and i want it now" ever looked at some of these jobs locator sights like monster and some others? jobs will be posted for months and no occupants. those jobs aren't nessecarily in a hurry to get filled. but these job fairs and companies that participate with career centers are ready and willing to hire you.

don't miss the boat. i cant speak for everyone and all situations, but everyone that i know that i went to school with that didn't wise up and take advantage of the opportunity ended up losing out.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah I agree.  Taking a break is not a luxury for me and I honestly wouldn't want one right now since I'm pretty motivated for that cash money.

Btw, I also went to a few interviews and only got 1 job offer.  It pays peanuts but its a good start for my career.

Originally Posted by WaveyJonesLocker

i played 4 years at SSU. we were like a bad d-1 team basically. i played 3 single and doubles my senior year.
Are you playing any of the Futures coming up in June? and do you know a kid named Patrick Maloney?

nah im retired haha. im done playin tennis everyday, i just do it for fun every now and then.

yea i know patrick. did u play?

nah im retired haha. im done playin tennis everyday, i just do it for fun every now and then.

Oh.  Yea I go to U of Arizona.  The coach won't let me try out until I have results, so I'm going to play a few Futures tournaments around here.

Oh.  Yea I go to U of Arizona.  The coach won't let me try out until I have results, so I'm going to play a few Futures tournaments around here.

Back
Top Bottom