LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

Originally Posted by dreClark

Texas doesn't even wear black/orange cleats.
True, but  two different Nike cleat styles with some kind of team color along with the other equipment updates are overdue to say the least.

I think a lot of the Nike squads are getting new uniforms this year with the pro combat technology. Some guys on the Arizona rivals site say they know people at EA who say the new jerseys have been put in the game, so that's a plus too.

edit: Dre, $*%@ your avy

If NCAA 11 plays right, I'll definitely run a OnLine Dynasty again and Dominate like I used to
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

True, but  two different Nike cleat styles with some kind of team color along with the other equipment updates are overdue to say the least.
Yeah, that's true. I was just being difficult
laugh.gif

I think a lot of the Nike squads are getting new uniforms this yearwith the pro combat technology. Some guys on the Arizona rivals sitesay they know people at EA who say the new jerseys have been put in thegame, so that's a plus too.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, teams are getting new jerseys (i.e. made of different material) but a lot of them are going to have the same style of jersey as they did before. I could be wrong tho'
edit: Dre, $*%@ your avy

Oh hai P-Mac!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

If NCAA 11 plays right, I'll definitely run a OnLine Dynasty again and Dominate like I used to
pimp.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

pimp.gif

Yeah after those NCAA 10 performances I hope you put the game away for awhile
sick.gif

Putting Berry as your QB
tired.gif

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif
J/k

Mannnn that game was so garbage, I was mad I bought it.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I think I playeda total of 8 entire games. I knew not to even try to play ranked games
laugh.gif
smh.gif

crazy how much we played 09 tho
laugh.gif
like 3 dynasties from one summer til damn near the next
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Theone's dynasty was about to be mine for atleast the next 3 years. I was taking it easy on ya'll, my qb had 99 throwing power and receiver was like 6'3 and had top speed too I think? I could have scored every possession if I wanted lol  Word to averaging 110 points on the cpu every game

Yeah the dynasties on '09 was
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

'10 was some trash. I don't think I even played a game in theone's season on that one.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Actually looking forward to this year's game, didnt bother buying last year's.

I dunno why I bought 10, the Demo was Garbage
smh.gif
and I knew it, but I was fiendin for a game...

60 bucks
smh.gif

thats a lap dance and some Dome  thats If you into trickin on some !%%%@ at the strip club

**Shrugs**

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/3/27/1393355/alabama-coach-nick-saban-is-toying

Alabamacoach Nick Saban is toying with the idea of potentially trying widereceiver Julio Jones as a safety on defense this spring.

The 6-foot-4, 211-pound Jones, a former Foley standout, has been theCrimson Tide's leading receiver each of the past two seasons.

It's not that he would move from offense. Instead, Saban comparedthe idea to what he once did with receiver Michael Clayton, who playedon both sides of the football for a short time at LSU.

Gentry Estes: Tide WR Julio Jones trying defense? It may happen this spring

Clearly a move like this would be a short-term, emergency move justin case we had a lot of trouble in the defensive backfield, but even sothings like this have to concern you a bit. The mere fact that we areapparently going to try no less than three wide receivers at safetythis spring really tells you a lot about the possible dearth of talentwe have at free safety (especially if a key injury or two hits).

Furthermore, I think it also tells you that, despite the ongoingappeal process, the coaching staff really doesn't expect that RobbyGreen will be back. If Green returning for 2010 was probable, thatwould give us Barron, Green, Woodson, Lester, and Perry at safety --plus possibly Jarrick Williams and Wesley Neighbors if need be -- andthere would really be no need to be preparing three widereceivers to play at safety. Realistically, though, given all that ishappening now, I think what it tells you is that Green likely won'treturn until 2011, and that guys like Lester and Neighbors reallyaren't ready to play like we would hope. As a result, unless eitherPerry or Williams can come in and show something immediately this Fall,that is going to necessitate us possibly having to move someone over ifwe have something that happens to either Barron or Woodson (the latterof which effectively has a de facto starting job at this point, Iimagine).

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Tide WR Julio Jones trying defense? It may happen this spring[/h1][h4]By Gentry Estes, Mobile Press-Register[/h4][h5]March 27, 2010, 5:31PM[/h5]
julio-ark-ua-alcomjpg-0c296623878fd001_large.jpg
Julio Jones has led Alabama's team in receptions each of the past two seasons (UA photo).

Alabama coach Nick Saban is toying with the idea of potentially trying wide receiver Julio Jones as a safety on defense this spring.

The 6-foot-4, 211-pound Jones, a former Foley standout, has been theCrimson Tide's leading receiver each of the past two seasons.

It's not that he would move from offense. Instead, Saban compared the idea to what he once did with receiver Michael Clayton, who played on both sides of the football for a short time at LSU.

"Michael Clayton was our best receiver and the 16th guy picked in the draft, and that's what we did with him one year," Saban said. "He ended up playing over 25 plays of defense, mostly against Texas in the Cotton Bowl, and played both ways."

Alabama returns starter Mark Barron at safety, but may be down a contributor at the position because of an eligibility issue with Robby Green that could sideline the junior during the 2010 season.

Saban has rotated two wide receivers - former UMS-Wright standout Brandon Gibson and Kendall Kelly- at safety so far this spring. Kelly saw the most repetitions with thedefensive backs until today, when Gibson wore a red (defensive) jerseyand spent individual drills at safety and Kelly wore white (offensive)and was with the offense.

In the first four practices this spring, Kelly wore red and Gibson wore white.

"Today we just flipped that,"
Saban said, "becausethe cumulative effect was starting to get to Brandon in terms of onlygetting a few reps. ... We said that we were invest two days in himbeing a defensive player first, so that he could kind of catch up, sowe could make a better evaluation."

As for the possibility of Jones trying defensive back, Saban remarked to reporters, "I know y'all will go crazy on that one."

"We put the guy on kickoff return, you say he might get hurt," Saban said. "Hemight get hurt playing receiver too. I ain't worried about that. ...The goal is not to move anybody to defense. It's to make sure that wecome out of the spring knowing that we have another guy on our teamthat could play safety if we need him to play."

Lonnie Ballentine to Memphis. Major pull for Coach Porter.

He's joining the team this summer, smart move for him, he prolly wouldnt play right away anywhere else, he'll start from day one and unless he completely fails, will find himself in the NFL with his speed and size

[h2]Some Early Spring Practice Observations & Notes [/h2]
Danny_Ford_tiny.jpg
by DrB on Mar 25, 2010 11:44 AM EDT in FUTBAW
comment.v1599.png
2 comments

Tajh Boyd

View full size photo »

Itend to wait until I've read most of the articles on spring practiceand seen enough before I post any impressions and this year is nodifferent. You'll hear a new name making highlights every day and onlythe ones that do it often are really newsworthy. Dabo might pump updifferent guys on different days in response to questionstoo. Yesterday we had what I believe is the 2nd scrimmage of Springball and as I expected going in, the defense is well ahead of theoffense, which is still in the reinstallation phase. The team as awhole is still a bit sloppy which doesn't really surprise me in Spring.
  • OL - Not impressive. Its harder to judge when they go against thebest DL in the ACC but I was particularly unenthused by Walker. Smith looked fine at LG and McClain looks only marginally improved. Smith did come in with the 2's at LT some as well. Wilson Norris was 2-LG. Mason Cloy was moving around and is improving, he'll be gone this summer for a month for ROTC training.
  • WR - Still having considerable trouble catching the football, particularly Bryce McNeal,who Dabo says is thinking too much out there. WRs do have to make acoverage read on the fly pretty quickly for some routes. Expect to seeMcNeal used just like Jacoby Ford was on orbit plays. Route running OK. Dye, Marquan, and Ashe will still start but don't be surprised if Jaron Brownfinally makes a move up the depth chart. If he puts his ball skillstogether with the route running he'll be a good one, and I do stillexpect him to take or seriously push for one of the two outside spotsin August. We predicted he would in our WR position review and stand bythat. Also, Clear has good skills and it would be nice if he just put2+2 together out there, and then both outside guys would be injeopardy. Sawchik looks over the depth chart here.
http://
star-divide.v5547.jpg

[*]
Talk about what you like now at receiver.  You've mentionedthem a couple of times now this week.  Who's got your attention therenow?

Dabo:"All seven of those guys have competed very well.  They werenot making a lot of mistakes.  They're really executing properly.  Brandon Clearhad an excellent day today.  Jaron Brown just continues to progress. You come out to practice and you don't notice him, you need to takeyour glasses off.  He just jumps out.  Bryce is just still processinginfo.  He'll make a play and then he'll drop a ball. That's a productof him not being fully focused.  Dye had a good day today and made somenice plays.  Marquan continues to keep his arrow going up.  BrandonFord has had a good spring.  All those guys have done well.  Terrance Asheis just as steady as they come.  It's a solid group but right now I'dsay Jaron, Marquan and Clear and Dye? they stood out the most." 

Is that the group, the foursome, that you need to really step up in order to have a lot of success there this fall?

Dabo:"Well yeah, absolutely.  Last year it was about our offensiveline.  I feel like we have a group there that has proven that they canwin at a high level.  Yeah, our wideouts are going to have a lot ofeyes on them.  But I'm confident in them.  I'm excited about them. Just as I sat here this time last year and was excited about safety. Yeah? we had some guys who had to go prove it.  But yes, I have all theconfidence in the world in the guys we have on campus now and the guysthat are coming in here.  We're going to have an excellent group ofwideouts that are going to pose a threat."  (swinney post scrimmage conference)

Other notes from last weekend's practice are here.

• Dwayne Allen- on par to be this year's King of Spring. Aside from a decleater bySpencer Shuey yesterday he looks damn impressive. May need to work onextending his hands from his body to make the catch. Blockingwas better but need some more practice at it. You don't wanna know howhis backups looked. When Dabo was asked who stood out to him so far, itwas Allen.
  • RB - Andre Ellington is lethal,but you already knew that. He finds a hole = TD. Harper looks good sofar as well. Rod McDowell looks like another scatback type.
  • With Brother Bill there for the Clinic this week, the defense showed that they were going to be the strength of this team again. In the early 7-on-7 the LB play was pitiful though. Maye is out still with the stress fracture in his foot and Hawkins looks like the definite #2 LB butsome guys still look like they dont know whats going on. Cooper andAndrews don't make plays at SAM. Willard has been at WILL but I stillexpect that to be Maye or Hawkins' spot. I like what I'm seeing whenthe offense adjusts its strength -- the defense changes the front. Iexpected that to happen more last season than it did.
  • Secondary - outstanding. Gilchrist was playing Nickel but where heends up is still going to be up in the air, I still say he takes thespot opposite Maxwell. Meeks looks pretty good so far and I hope he'llbe able to contribute more, he needs to be groomed for DMac's job thisseason. DMac himself is being challenged to be a real leader thisoffseason by the staff, and one of the things he's working on isman-man techniques. Thats an indication for you that Steele wants to beversatile when he has to play a 3rd LB, as well as Nickel situationswhere DMac will have to go one-on-one with somebody. Spencer Adams is repping some at Corner but is raw.
  • Rennie Moorereally stood out but Cumbie gets stood up too much so far. The rest ofthe DL seems to be just fine. Josh Watson looks QUICK, but needsmuscle. Kourtnei Brown has serious muscle gains since the last time I saw him. Lots of guys have slimmed down up front.
  • Tajh Boydis not on the same level with Parker, but is similar to how Parker waslast spring. Boyd's passes do tend to sail a little and his accuracyisnt as good as Parker's (which needs some fine-tuning). He throwsbullets though. This week is Boyd's time to work though, with Parker gone to Charlottesville. Swinney says Parker himself hasn't lost anything and I'd agree with that, it appears like its December for him.
  • With the way Parker is lacing the baseball, it may be time to really think about his leaving.I would rather see what Parker does facing good pitchers before I getanxious, and it is possible for you to play Rookie-league ball and thencome back to football in August, you just cant be on scholarship. This Baseball America chat is worth a look.
  • New numbers via LW: 5 (Jonathan Meeks), 18 (Jaron Brown), 33 (Spencer Shuey), 34 (Quandon Christian), 42 (Corico Hawkins), 48 (Kasey Nobles), 82 (Drew Traylor)
  • GNews photo galleries here.
  • Sawchik gives his 5 Players to Watch, and I always wonder, why is it always 5 questions or players to watch? why not 3? why not 10?

Thanks for posting that Dre, haven't been keeping up with it this offseason. All I got out of that was the OL is gonna suck again and our RBs will be good...but limited by the OL. No doubt Ellington can play "if he finds a hole". Good luck with that. I feel bad for CJ that he had to play behind those bums and had Rob Spence as his nut %+$ OC for his first 3 years.

It's amazing that Brad Scott is still our OL coach, despite the responsibility for the OTs being given to Danny Pearman. He's had one good OL in like 10 years at Clemson, but he's a "good guy". Bowden just wasn't good because of being too loyal to certain people, hopefully Dabo isn't the same way.

The vibe around the Miami football program is much different than it was a couple of years ago. The Canes look -- and seem -- like a legit powerhouse program again.
I was out at practice Friday and everywhere you looked they had freakish athletes. At receiver, there is 6-foot-4, 225-pound LaRon Byrd, 6-3, 215-pound Leonard Hankerson and 6-5, 210-pound Tommy Streeter. Each casts an imposing shadow, and all three move like cornerbacks. Travis Benjamin, the fastest of a UM receiving crew that goes seven deep, showed how dynamic he was in UM's spring game, catching six passes for 171 yards, producing one huge play after another.

There is also a deep stable of explosive tailbacks, evoking visions of the Clinton Portis/Willis McGahee days. The D-line, rocked by injury in 2009, is loaded again, led by uber freak Allen Bailey, a chiseled 285-pound defensive end with 4.6 speed. The secondary also can match up athletically with any receiver corps.

Even the area that has been the Canes' Achilles' heel the past few years -- the O-line -- looks good. Redshirt freshman offensive tackle Jermaine Johnson, a nimble 6-6, 322-pound former prep basketball star, is just one of a batch of lean up-and-comers who had insiders raving.

Mort importantly, this 2010 UM group passed the eyeball test of perhaps its toughest critics, the former Canes players who came out to observe Friday's practice. There were more than 100 old Canes lining the field, ranging from Jimmy Johnson to Hall of Famer Ted Hendricks to Cortez Kennedy. There was also former UM standout Tony Chickillo, who watched with son Anthony, one of the country's top D-line recruits in the Class of 2011.

"This looks like what Miami is supposed to look like," said one UM player from the '90s, pointing at a group of the Canes' towering wideouts. "It hasn't been like this for a while, but we're ready now. Just look at them."

Andreu Swasey, the team's longtime strength coach and the guy who is more qualified to say when a team is ripe than maybe anyone at UM, beamed as he spoke about not only the athleticism, but also the work ethic and maturity of this team.

I'm not ready to anoint Miami as a national title front-runner just yet, although after seeing this team up close, it made me think a little harder about the Canes.

The Canes made big strides last season, but it was still too much of "three steps forward, one step back," punctuated by a dismal bowl performance against Wisconsin. The Canes burst onto the field with two big plays that night -- then acted like the Badgers would be so in awe of the Miami speed, they'd fold. Didn't happen. And that kind of resolve and focus that UM lacked comes back to locker room leadership.

Optimists could shrug it off and say Miami was still young last year. Eh. Regardless, Miami's definitely not young any more. Jacory Harris, the unquestioned leader of this team, sat out this spring after having offseason thumb surgery on his right throwing hand. He was great at times last season, but too often was reckless and made bad decisions. He should be a Heisman contender this fall. The spindly Harris will be much better with a second year in offensive coordinator Mark Whipple's system and the development of that group of receivers. Harris' body also has matured physically. UM was perilously thin behind him last season, but in A.J. Highsmith, walk-on transfer Spencer Whipple (son of Mark) and early enrollee Stephen Morris, the Canes are improved here as well.

Here's a problem: Once again, the season begins with a treacherous first month. After opening with Florida A&M, the Canes visit Ohio State, then visit Pitt and then visit Clemson. Expect to hear some talk about how this start will impact Randy Shannon's future at UM. It shouldn't. The UM brass should address that issue by then. Shannon's contract status has been a hot topic down in South Florida for a while now. (He is in the final year of his contract and is currently the second-lowest paid coach in the ACC.) He has not won as many games as some would've expected, but in fairness, he inherited a tricky situation. He's provided stability and done outstanding work instilling more discipline into the program. Off the field, the results have been outstanding. On the field, critics can knock some decisions, such as hiring Patrick Nix as his offensive coordinator a few years back. Some former UM players had questioned that he held his team with too firm of a hand.

"They just aren't having fun out there," was a common critique from some past players a few years ago.

Shannon, though, has grown into the head-coaching job. The team has more life now, as was evident Friday afternoon. Harris, the boisterous quarterback, has helped provide some juice as well. Bailey, now a senior, says he's seen a change in Shannon, too. "He has lightened up," he said. "He's giving us a little more leeway."

Shannon knows he can have more trust in his players. Now, I think UM needs to show the same trust in its coach and extend his deal.

Hell no. 

Don't extend Shannon until you see PROOF of this team getting better.  Not just because how they look standin on a damn sideline.  Who the @#$% cares how tall they are? 
smh.gif

When they winnin every Saturday without question, THEN you can pay the man.  Not a moment before.  I don't care how much "cleaner" the program is. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Hell no. 

Don't extend Shannon until you see PROOF of this team getting better.  Not just because how they look standin on a damn sideline.  Who the @#$% cares how tall they are? 
smh.gif

When they winnin every Saturday without question, THEN you can pay the man.  Not a moment before.  I don't care how much "cleaner" the program is. 
Part of it is he hasn't really done enough to earn a big extension/contract....and the other half is Miami can't even really afford to pay him that much.

But it doesn't matter how much his contract is. What matters is how much his buyout it.....

Teddy B bout to get that #1 Dual QB ranking.
He's killed every camp and 7on7 he's participated in.

Randy better not let him get outta Miami

Back
Top Bottom