LOCK IT UP - College Football - 2009 Season/2010 Off-Season

Originally Posted by zs05wc

Ohio heads, any insight on AJ Jordan? I believe Michigan offered him recently. Is he osu's if they want him?
Yes...but at this moment I don't see the Buckeyes offering.

Everyone on the Carolina boards are pegging him to UGA. Not sure if anyone has inside info, but that's what they are saying/thinking.

2 Weeks ago I heard Nick was a silent to FSU.

Last week, I heard Nick was leaning towards focusing on basketball and was going to go to UGA

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Nah he's committing this Friday.
I know he likes UGA but he's gonna commit to a place bringing in a QB already, don't make sense
That's what I'm saying, since he's committing so soon it hasn't looked as good for Clemson as it would if it were later on and after (if) Parker goes the baseball route.

I don't pay that much attention but had signed up for Rivals again after Purnell left and that's what been reported consistently, that Lemay has always had UGA as his favorite whether he said so publicly and that nothing has changed that, despite other commits or not.  +%%@, I hope he picks Clemson.

All of those recruiting websites are a business, so much information is let out or not let out strategically to increase readership and drama, add to that the fact that these are 16 and 17 year olds whose minds change constantly, you can only take what's said with a grain of salt.

[table][tr][td]Vaughters Favoring Eight 
premium.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]This story originally published on FightinGators.com[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][tr][td]
704074.jpg

James Vaughters
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[table][tr][td]
By Jason Higdon

Fightin' Gators Recruiting Analyst
Posted Apr 25, 2010
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...e=RT @InsideCarolina {{title}} {{url}}&lng=enhttp://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...st of the top programs in the country.&lng=enhttp://www.blogger.com/blog_this.py....com/2/965526.html&n=Vaughters Favoring Eighthttp://northcarolina.scout.com/2/965526.html#email-a-friend-windowhttp://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=10&c=965526&refid=4781|More

James Vaughters, a 6-2, 230-pound middle linebacker with 4.55 speed is one of the top defensive players in America and has the offers to back it up. He has close to 30 written offers from most of the top programs in the country.
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Ohio State, Stanford, Tennessee, USC, Miami, Mississippi and Oklahoma have all extended written offers to the nation's No. 6 ranked middle linebacker prospect according to Scout.com.

"I have been on several visits, including Georgia and Georgia Tech, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Ohio State, Notre Dame, North Carolina, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Central Florida, and Miami. I enjoyed the different aspects of all the visits, and I could see myself 'at home; at so many of the schools I listed. I really like the eight I have narrowed it down to: Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Stanford. I am hoping to get by to visit UGA and Georgia Tech in the next couple of weeks, and then Ohio State, Alabama and USC in the coming months."

James Vaughters breaks his game down:

"The things I work on most are my speed and explosiveness, as well as being relentless and very physical. I like my football IQ and my ability to anticipate what's going to happen and quickly react to make a play. I want to play OLB in college. I like the way he gives me an opportunity to make plays, whether it is against the run, or against the pass or rushing the QB in passing situations. My thing is just to make plays, every down. I am going to get after it and go until the whistle on every play, despite the fact I go both ways. I am continuing to work on my pass coverage, so I can be the most versatile player at my position this year and at the next level."

Tucker High School is as deep and talented a football team that you will find in the state of Georgia for 2011.

"We have 31 returning seniors and 20 of them lettered last year on our team that lost in the 2nd round to the eventual state champions. Coach Franklin Stephens has us working hard in the off-season and we need the Seniors to step up and provide the leadership to get us prepared to win every game. We have some important pieces of the puzzle to replace from last year's team, but I think we have the players to go after the state championship."

Vaughters can bench 325-pounds with a 550-pound squat.
[/td][/tr][/table]

LOS ANGELES -- Most programs have images. Not so long ago, a mention of UCLA to college football fans inspired images of high-flying offenses with quarterbacks such as Troy Aikman or Cade McNown, offensive linemen such as Jonathan Ogden and skill players like J.J. Stokes and DeShaun Foster.

These days? Not so much. UCLA hasn't had a potent offense since 2005.

Most coaches have images. Bruins coach Rick Neuheisel and offensive coordinator Norm Chow built their careers on offensive prowess, particularly with developing quarterbacks.

ncf_i_rneuheisel1_200.jpg

Mark Goldman/Icon SMIUCLA coach Rick Neuheisel expects to be in the top half of the Pac-10 next season.
When Neuheisel and Chow arrived in Westwood two years ago after Karl Dorrell was fired, their charge was not only to recharge a stagnant program that had yielded Southern California to USC but also to reignite the offensive fireworks.

Bruins fans notoriously love offense. Former coach Bob Toledo once remarked that winning with flashy offense was nearly as important as winning period among the Bruins faithful.

The going, suffice it to say, has been slow. The Bruins have ranked no better than eighth in rushing, scoring or total offense over the past two seasons.

So, are the Bruins poised for a breakthrough in 2010, Year Three of Neuheisel-Chow?

"I have no idea, but we have to be better or you'll be talking to somebody else next year," Chow quipped.

Say this for the veteran coaches: The old dogs are willing to try new tricks. UCLA is using a variation of Nevada's "pistol" offense -- Neuheisel called it "the revolver" because "it's going to be more loaded," he joked -- during spring practices. That means lining up in an abbreviated shotgun formation with a single running back and using some spread-option elements.

The idea is that forcing a defense to respect -- and assign responsibility for -- a potential running quarterback means an offense operates 11-on-11 vs. a defense rather than 10-on-11, as is the case in a pro-style offense when the quarterback only hands off or passes from the pocket.

Understand: UCLA quarterback Kevin Prince doesn't have to transform into Oregon's Jeremiah Masoli (insert snarky quip here) or Washington's Jake Locker this spring. The very fact that Prince will run the ball a handful of times a game means a defense must account for him on every play, which means Prince can operate as a pseudo-blocker even without the ball -- and without taking on a 240-pound linebacker.

By the way, Prince is hardly an unathletic clod being asked to run the option. For one, he ran a similar offense in high school. And he weighs 230 pounds and runs a 4.53 40-yard dash.

"It's opening up the passing game a lot and it's really fun to run. I'm liking it so far. It's an efficient way to do things," Prince said. "I might not have to run that much, but the mere fact that they have to have a guy assigned to me, to respect me as a running threat, I think will open up our offense a lot more."

That said, results have been mixed. After the Bruins second scrimmage, Neuheisel wondered out loud how patient he and Chow could be while Prince and company learned a new scheme: ""There's a lot of moving parts in this stuff. If we're going to be in this stuff and we're going to say that this is who we are and try to get to that point, we've got to be a heck of a lot better at it than this. If we can't get that done in 15 practices, then we have to ask ourselves if it's prudent to stay in it and that's where we are.''

But, whatever the scheme, Neuheisel, Chow and Prince each touched on the most sound reason to believe UCLA's offense will be better this fall: experience.

Start with Prince, who flashed potential as a redshirt freshman during an injury-plagued 2009 season. The hope is he takes the next step and becomes more consistent.

"Kevin has everything you look for," Neuheisel said. "He still needs to grasp how defenses play so he can take advantage. He's running our offense, but he's not ahead enough yet to know exactly where they are vulnerable so we can take less protection time and get the ball to that spot."

Prince should have plenty of help. Receivers Nelson Rosario and Taylor Embree have played well this spring -- said Neuheisel, "I think they are ready to burst onto the scene" -- and there are intriguing youngsters behind them. The pecking order at running back remains unsettled, but there's talent and the incoming recruiting class includes three backs ranked in the ESPNU 150.

But, really, all things hinge on the offensive line, which would have welcomed back all five starters if true freshman left tackle Xavier Su'a-Filo hadn't opted to go on a two-year LDS mission.

The Bruins troubles the past two season can be traced in large part to an inability to consistently run the football, a problem rooted in poor line play.

"I love Karl Dorrell and I've known him a long time but when we got here there were no offensive linemen," Chow said.

Neuheisel has landed three consecutive strong recruiting classes, but he also bemoans the recent lack of elite offensive linemen on the West Coast. Still, he expects the line to improve in 2010. He ticks off nine names he thinks can get it done up front.

"We'll be closer to a good looking group," he said.

The offense probably needs to take a major step forward for another reason: The Bruins lost six starters, including three All-Pac-10 first-teamers, from their defense.

Neuheisel is always optimistic. His mantra in 2008 was "relentless optimism." But his enthusiasm at present suggest he expects the Bruins, one of only two Pac-10 teams that won bowl games in 2009, to push into the top-half of the conference this fall.

"We are within a blink of an eye of being really good," he said. "We're not far from being a hell of a program again.

Vaughters is a Beast!!!

And my boy tells me LeMays is a Bulldog, he's like 99-5 so I'll take his word, but it doesn't make sense to me. *shrugs*

Where's Buck Allen leaning,FSU/Ala? And is he gonna play LB or RB?

Why doesn't it make sense? B/c of all the QB's that would be in front of him @ UGA?

Buck Allen = Bama lean @ RB. Hopefully he's 100% healed from that broken leg

Murray is the only QB at UGA now that matters, tho...it ain't like we got four 5* on the depth chart.

Yes but Marshall is on board for 2011, that's one young guy too many.
That would be a worse decision than Scroggins going to USC this past yr

Logan Gray is transferring, is he not?

Which would leave only Murray and Mason for the Fall?

I forgot about Mettenburger leaving.

And Jay, who told you about Marshall? Is it your "99-5" man?

A lot of recruiting doesn't make sense because these are kids picking schools for whatever reasons interest them, a lot of the time it's whatever Becky (did I do that right?) had the best dome game (how about that?) or they're confident enough in their ability that depth doesn't even matter. UGA's got deep pockets too. Or...it could just be that he's liked UGA all along and feels like that's where he wants to be, doesn't hurt that they had a QB who was the #1 pick last year.

Wait, Becky=dome or Becky=chick who gives mean dome? Verb or noun?

Damnit, I'm so white.

Becky = Dome. Becky is the term for good dome. A black girl can give Becky,
laugh.gif
It's a verb

White chicks are said to have the best dome + 'Becky' is a Name popular among the Caucasian female population = [Plies] Gimme dat Beck-ayyyy!!! [/Piles]

Elementary, my dear Watson.

roll.gif
@ explaining this though hahaha

Ain't $@%# else to talk about during this dead period
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom