Looking back at MLB Predictions Vol. at the midway now

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

So what did you guys do in the playoffs last year? Oh wait......
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You should be the last one talking. 1st time we miss the playoffs this Millennium. I'm not even gonna mention anything else. Where were you last year? Theyear before that?

You got me there. Believe me or not, I honestly wasn't going for stats-based owange, but the fact that the Mets were atop the N.L. East for basically the entire season in 2007 and the Phillies swooped in and won it, and in 2008 the Mets again "collapsed", even though they weren't atop the N.L. East as much as they were in 07'.

Ehh....2007 was a bad collapse Phillies beat the Mets down the stretch in all those games.

But last year was a lot different. They were 8 games back and below .500 and rallied to play very very good baseball under Jerry, lots of clutch moments,scoring a ton of runs despite the pen trying to blow games every night.....it pretty much caught up to them down the stretch. It was unfair for the O to haveto score 7+ runs a night with the pen giving up grand slams almost every week.

2007 was a collapse, 2008 they didn't have the personnel (pitching) so even if they made the playoffs it would have been a 1st round exit. It was amazingthey were even in a position to win the division.

I'm just saying, no big deal I could care less cause at least they addressed the pen this off-season, I'm upset over the Knicks L today.

1st time we miss the playoffs this Millennium.

So what though, there a lot of 1st round exits during those years so I don't see what the accomplishment in that is considering they've had the toppayroll this entire "millenium", you SHOULD be making the playoffs.

Originally Posted by JoRDaN201

So what did you guys do in the playoffs last year? Oh wait......
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You should be the last one talking. 1st time we miss the playoffs this Millennium. I'm not even gonna mention anything else. Where were you last year? The year before that?
Yeah, J Steezzz, you just dug yourself into a hole that's going to be hard to get outof
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Ehh....2007 was a bad collapse Phillies beat the Mets down the stretch in all those games.

But last year was a lot different. They were 8 games back and below .500 and rallied to play very very good baseball under Jerry, lots of clutch moments, scoring a ton of runs despite the pen trying to blow games every night.....it pretty much caught up to them down the stretch. It was unfair for the O to have to score 7+ runs a night with the pen giving up grand slams almost every week.

2007 was a collapse, 2008 they didn't have the personnel (pitching) so even if they made the playoffs it would have been a 1st round exit. It was amazing they were even in a position to win the division.

I'm just saying, no big deal I could care less cause at least they addressed the pen this off-season, I'm upset over the Knicks L today.
I've actually been liking the Knicks lately. No bandwagon. That's another topic.

Mets SHOULD win the East this year, but as we know, they SHOULD'VE won it the last 2 years.

Mets SHOULD win the East this year, but as we know, they SHOULD'VE won it the last 2 years.

Same way they SHOULD'VE won it in 2006, but once Pedro and Duque got hurt it was a wrap.

I don't care for predictions I just want to watch beisbol and see how this new Mets pen operates, all the bums are gone I couldn't be any happier.

SMH @ the last 2 pages being Yankees/Mets.

You got me there. Believe me or not, I honestly wasn't going for stats-based owange, but the fact that the Mets were atop the N.L. East for basically the entire season in 2007 and the Phillies swooped in and won it, and in 2008 the Mets again "collapsed", even though they weren't atop the N.L. East as much as they were in 07'.

But last year was a lot different. They were 8 games back and below .500 and rallied to play very very good baseball under Jerry, lots of clutch moments, scoring a ton of runs despite the pen trying to blow games every night.....it pretty much caught up to them down the stretch. It was unfair for the O to have to score 7+ runs a night with the pen giving up grand slams almost every week.

2007 was a collapse, 2008 they didn't have the personnel (pitching) so even if they made the playoffs it would have been a 1st round exit. It was amazing they were even in a position to win the division.

1st time we miss the playoffs this Millennium.

So what though, there a lot of 1st round exits during those years so I don't see what the accomplishment in that is considering they've had the top payroll this entire "millenium", you SHOULD be making the playoffs.

Ugh, don't get the payroll involved. If I'm not mistaken, the Mets are in the Top 5 in all of baseball as far as payroll goes, so they"SHOULD" be making the playoffs also.

Same way they SHOULD'VE won it in 2006, but once Pedro and Duque got hurt it was a wrap.

I don't care for predictions I just want to watch beisbol and see how this new Mets pen operates, all the bums are gone I couldn't be any happier.

I take some blame for that.

Let's go back to predictions.

Mez 0ne wrote:

Its because these dulusional Yankees fans think they suddenly have the top rotation in the AL east.
laugh.gif

It was a argument that started with Yankees vs Sox vs Rays and of course they have to bring the Mets into it
eyes.gif

But it's just friendly banter, lets get back on topic

Good luck to all teams , this will be another great year of baseball
pimp.gif

Mez 0ne wrote:
Its because these dulusional Yankees fans think they suddenly have the top rotation in the AL east.
laugh.gif

It was a argument that started with Yankees vs Sox vs Rays and of course they have to bring the Mets into it
eyes.gif

But it's just friendly banter, lets get back on topic

Good luck to all teams , this will be another great year of baseball
pimp.gif

You're slowly becoming one of the most ignorant people here.

You're the one that started this whole thing with comment that Price and Lester were better than Wang and CC. You then proceeded to admit that you were aYankee Hater. I don't remember me ever bringing in the Mets. You're the one that had no reason to start this Yanks vs Rays vs Red Sox.

And how are we "delusional"? Because we have a better rotation than last year? Because we have 2 aces on our team? There's nothing delusionalthere
grin.gif

2) There's no doubt that they're a much better team now. But let's look at it this way. They're still young. Do you remember when the Rockies went to the WS everyone was saying how great of a team they would be the next year and whatnot? Well, they came back down to Earth. Such thing is possible with the Rays. Am I saying that it's gonna happen? No. I do feel that they are a good team. Just not better than the Yanks or Red Sox.
The Rockies weren't nearly as good as this Tampa Bay team is... Frankly, they sucked... They got hot at the right time and won acrappy National League... That team was marginal at best... It's an awful comparison...

3) They aren't better than the Yanks or Sox because right now, Yanks & Red Sox Starting Rotation are better than the Rays. Not saying that the Rays SP's aren't good, just not better than neither. The Rays offense is maturing, yes. But they still don't have a complete lineup like the Yanks or Red Sox. Yes, Longoria, Upton, and Craw are great players. But, that's about their biggest threats. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4) Why should you believe that the Yanks are better than the Rays? Read what I wrote in #3. Also, we're a much more balanced team this year compared to last year. We got our catcher back (Posada), we got one of our most productive hitters back (Matsui), we got a productive switch hitter batting in front of A-Rod (Tex), our rotation is better than last year, and we're coming back from an embarassing year.
I just don't agree... At all... The Rays have FOUR legitimate front-of-the-rotation starting pitchers under like 25 and a damn good 5th guy inSonnanstine... That rotation was awesome last year... Almost a full half run better than the Yankees' rotation... It's not gonna regress by replacingEdwin Jackson with David Price... Which one of those guys is likely to regress and fall off much? Cuz I sure as hell don't see him... Being the bestdefensive team in baseball doesn't hurt, either...

And how are the Rays not a complete lineup?
laugh.gif
Iwamura, Crawford, Upton,Longoria, Pena, Burrell, Navarro, Joyce, Bartlett... It ain't superstar after superstar like the damn Yankees, but that's a damn good lineup... Theycan do just about everything... Power guys, speed guys, guys to steal bags, guys to move runners over and play small ball...

That's a damn good baseball team... And frankly, I trust them a lot more than I do a Yankees team that'll have to deal with the constant pressures offA-Rod's steroid issues and the expectations of win a World Series or you're a failure... We've seen guys go to New York and crumble their firstseason or so because of the pressure... Am I just supposed to assume guys like CC Sabathia (who has crumbled in big spots before) or AJ Burnett are immune tothat?

The Yankees gotta show me before I start buying into that BS again...

American League

East Division

1st New York Yankees
2nd Boston Red Sox†
3rd Tampa Bay Rays
4th Baltimore Orioles
5th Toronto Blue Jays

Central Division

1st Minnesota Twins
2nd Cleveland Indians
3rd Detroit Tigers
4th Kansas City Royals
5th Chicago White Sox

West Division

1st Oakland Athletics
2nd Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
3rd Texas Rangers
4th Seattle Mariners

National League

East Division

1st New York Mets
2nd Florida Marlins†
3rd Philadelphia Phillies
4th Atlanta Braves
5th Washington Nationals

Central Division

1st Chicago Cubs
2nd Houston Astros
3rd St. Louis Cardinals
4th Milwaukee Brewers
5th Cincinnati Reds
6th Pittsburgh Pirates

West Division

1st Arizona Diamondbacks
2nd Los Angeles Dodgers
3rd Colorado Rockies
4th San Diego Padres
5th San Francisco Giants

2009 MLB Awards

Rookie of the Year - Dexter Fowler (COL) Travis Snider (TOR)
Cy Young Award - Cole Hamels (PHI) Jon Lester (BOS)
Manager of the Year - Bob Melvin (ARI) Bob Geren (OAK)
Most Valuable Player - Hanley Ramirez (FLA) Alex Rodriguez (NYY)

Gold Glove Awards

Pitcher - Johan Santana (NYM) Roy Halladay (TOR)
Catcher - Brian McCann (ATL) Joe Mauer (MIN)
1st Base - Albert Pujols (STL) Mark Teixeira (NYY)
2nd Base - Chase Utley (PHI) Dustin Pedroia (BOS)
3rd Base - David Wright (NYM) Evan Longoria (TB)
Shortstop - Jimmy Rollins (PHI) Jed Lowrie (BOS)
Outfield - Rick Ankiel (STL) Carlos Beltran (NYM) Justin Upton (ARI) Tori Hunter (LAA) GradySizemore (CLE) Ichiro Suzuki (SEA)

Silver Slugger Awards

Pitcher/Desginated Hitter - Carlos Zambrano (CHC) David Ortiz (BOS)
Catcher - Brian McCann (ATL) Joe Mauer (MIN)
1st Base - Albert Pujols (STL) Mark Teixeira (NYY)
2nd Base - Chase Utley (PHI) Dustin Pedroia (BOS)
3rd Base - David Wright (NYM) Evan Longoria (TB)
Shortstop - Hanley Ramírez (FLA) Johnny Peralta (CLE)
Outfield - Ryan Braun (MIL) Rick Ankiel (STL) Carlos Lee (HOU) Josh Hamilton (TEX) Matt Holliday(OAK) Grady Sizemore (CLE)

Other Awards

Comeback Players of the Year - Eric Byrnes (ARI) Eric Chavez (OAK)
Hank Aaron Award - Albert Pujols (STL) Evan Longoria (TB)
Delivery Man of the Year (Best Reliever) - Jonathan Papelbon (BOS)
Clutch Performer of the Year - Hanley Ramirez (FLA)

Playoff Scenario:

American League Division Series

New York Yankees def Minnesota Twins
Boston Red Sox def Oakland Athletics

National League Division Series

Chicago Cubs def Florida Marlins
Arizona Diamondbacks def New York Mets

American League Championship Series

New York Yankees def Boston Red Sox

National League Championship Series

Chicago Cubs def Arizona Diamondbacks

World Series

New York Yankees def Chicago Cubs

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

2) There's no doubt that they're a much better team now. But let's look at it this way. They're still young. Do you remember when the Rockies went to the WS everyone was saying how great of a team they would be the next year and whatnot? Well, they came back down to Earth. Such thing is possible with the Rays. Am I saying that it's gonna happen? No. I do feel that they are a good team. Just not better than the Yanks or Red Sox.
The Rockies weren't nearly as good as this Tampa Bay team is... Frankly, they sucked... They got hot at the right time and won a crappy National League... That team was marginal at best... It's an awful comparison...

3) They aren't better than the Yanks or Sox because right now, Yanks & Red Sox Starting Rotation are better than the Rays. Not saying that the Rays SP's aren't good, just not better than neither. The Rays offense is maturing, yes. But they still don't have a complete lineup like the Yanks or Red Sox. Yes, Longoria, Upton, and Craw are great players. But, that's about their biggest threats. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4) Why should you believe that the Yanks are better than the Rays? Read what I wrote in #3. Also, we're a much more balanced team this year compared to last year. We got our catcher back (Posada), we got one of our most productive hitters back (Matsui), we got a productive switch hitter batting in front of A-Rod (Tex), our rotation is better than last year, and we're coming back from an embarassing year.
I just don't agree... At all... The Rays have FOUR legitimate front-of-the-rotation starting pitchers under like 25 and a damn good 5th guy in Sonnanstine... That rotation was awesome last year... Almost a full half run better than the Yankees' rotation... It's not gonna regress by replacing Edwin Jackson with David Price... Which one of those guys is likely to regress and fall off much? Cuz I sure as hell don't see him... Being the best defensive team in baseball doesn't hurt, either...

And how are the Rays not a complete lineup?
laugh.gif
Iwamura, Crawford, Upton, Longoria, Pena, Burrell, Navarro, Joyce, Bartlett... It ain't superstar after superstar like the damn Yankees, but that's a damn good lineup... They can do just about everything... Power guys, speed guys, guys to steal bags, guys to move runners over and play small ball...

That's a damn good baseball team... And frankly, I trust them a lot more than I do a Yankees team that'll have to deal with the constant pressures off A-Rod's steroid issues and the expectations of win a World Series or you're a failure... We've seen guys go to New York and crumble their first season or so because of the pressure... Am I just supposed to assume guys like CC Sabathia (who has crumbled in big spots before) or AJ Burnett are immune to that?

Never did I state they weren't a good team. I know what they're capable of.

And the comparison to the Rockies was just what it was....a comparison. I didn't say they were EXACTLY like the Rockies.

And you know what? Fair enough. You'll see when the season starts what we're about.

If the Yankees switched rotations with either team you all would criticize them for something.

And serious question how come no one says the Rays should make Price a starter but i have to argue that the rotation is the best place for Joba?

My dude We Get Live went ALL in!

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

If the Yankees switched rotations with either team you all would criticize them for something.

And serious question how come no one says the Rays should make Price a starter but i have to argue that the rotation is the best place for Joba?
Because everyone hates the Yankees. Everything we do is wrong. If we had the Rays rotation, people would say that we're not going anywherecause we're too young. If we had the Red Sox rotation, they would say that Smoltz, and Wakefield are too old, and that Beckett will get hurt. Etc.

AL

East- Yankees

Central- Twins

West- Athletics

WC- Rays

NL

East- Mets

Central- Cubs

West- Diamondbacks

WC- Phillies

World Series- Mets vs. Twins

Joba should be in the pen, esp since Mariano isn't getting any younger and the Yanks won't even let dude pitch over 150 innings to protect his arm.

He should be thrown out there at any crucial point late in the game , whether its the 7th or 8th innng, RISP....he's a guy who can keep the guys on base.

Joba should be in the pen, esp since Mariano isn't getting any younger and the Yanks won't even let dude pitch over 150 innings to protect his arm.

He should be thrown out there at any crucial point late in the game , whether its the 7th or 8th innng, RISP....he's a guy who can keep the guys on base.
And why not Price? Troy Percival isn't getting any younger.

Whats the difference?

Whats the difference?
Because David Price doesn't have a history of arm problems and hasn't had his innings capped by his team in order to protect his arm fromoveruse... They're entirely different situations...
eyes.gif

That pretty much sums up what I meant to say

Basically CC has to prove to me he can take the pressure of playing in NY before I start believing he will be a great fit for you guys

Tex no doubt will be a HUGE addition to you lineup and will provide consistency and take the pressure off of A fraud when he starts to stink it up
laugh.gif

Because everyone hates the Yankees. Everything we do is wrong. If we had the Rays rotation, people would say that we're not going anywhere cause we're too young. If we had the Red Sox rotation, they would say that Smoltz, and Wakefield are too old, and that Beckett will get hurt. Etc.
It's because you guys think u can BUY championships, that's all.

I really enjoyed watching you guys back from 96-00.... after that , when they started scooping up seemingly every big name FA that was out there to fill holes,it got annoying, that's all it is.

Trust me, Boston is hated too. Rays are doing it the right way
pimp.gif

Whats the difference?
Because David Price doesn't have a history of arm problems and hasn't had his innings capped by his team in order to protect his arm from overuse... They're entirely different situations...
eyes.gif
Minor triceps injury as a junior in college in 2006 and shoulder tendinitis last year, which he came back from 3 months later and is somethingcommon in pitchers. Is that really a big history to worry about?

The Yankees are a billion dollar business and employ countless number a scouts and physicians that have analyzed Joba's arm and shoulder. Do you reallythink they would risk his arm if they didn't think he was healthy enough to handle it? I think i would take Brian Cashman and the Yankee front offices wordfor it.

Price suffered an injury about as serious as Joba's last season, and yes Price did have his innings cap last year. Thats why he moved to the bullpen so hecould finish around 125 innings, he'll likely pitch as many innings as Joba would this season.

I really enjoyed watching you guys back from 96-00.... after that , when they started scooping up seemingly every big name FA that was out there to fill holes, it got annoying, that's all it is.

pimp.gif

You make it seem like the Yanks are the only team that buys players.

Because everyone hates the Yankees. Everything we do is wrong. If we had the Rays rotation, people would say that we're not going anywhere cause we're too young. If we had the Red Sox rotation, they would say that Smoltz, and Wakefield are too old, and that Beckett will get hurt. Etc.

I really enjoyed watching you guys back from 96-00.... after that , when they started scooping up seemingly every big name FA that was out there to fill holes, it got annoying, that's all it is.

pimp.gif
Who thinks they can "buy" championships?

The Yankees had holes in there rotation and first base going into this offseason. What should they do about it? Sign low level free agents and promote playersthat arent good enough? Or should they spend the money that they have to try and put the best product on the field.

If your Mets win the world series this year because of the impact K-Rod has on your team, then did you "buy" a world series?

Back
Top Bottom