Macbook

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Yeah, I noticed hella people bring their Macbooks to class, but I wouldn't even do that if I had one though cuz I forget things easily.  Left my ipod in class a few times already.

Still unsure about the MBP though, I feel like it'll be handicapped if I load Windows 7 on it and OS x isn't for me really
ohwell.gif

roll.gif
laugh.gif
@ the idea of someone forgetting their macbook in class
You could always go to a apple store & try out a mac/OSx
roll.gif

How do you forget a MB in class tho?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Does sound ridiculous right?  It's been done before, I kid you not
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
.  I'm a computer science major and usually people will turn around and use the lab machine instead of their MB and just walk out when class is over.  Of course, they come back in like 30 seconds, but I was just implying that since I wouldn't use it to code at least until next year, I have no reason to bring it to class.  I'm almost certain most of the people bring theirs to class just to show off anyway
eyes.gif
cuz no one takes notes in that class
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by Degenerate423

Yeah, I noticed hella people bring their Macbooks to class, but I wouldn't even do that if I had one though cuz I forget things easily.  Left my ipod in class a few times already.

Still unsure about the MBP though, I feel like it'll be handicapped if I load Windows 7 on it and OS x isn't for me really
ohwell.gif

roll.gif
laugh.gif
@ the idea of someone forgetting their macbook in class
You could always go to a apple store & try out a mac/OSx
roll.gif

How do you forget a MB in class tho?
roll.gif
roll.gif

Does sound ridiculous right?  It's been done before, I kid you not
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
.  I'm a computer science major and usually people will turn around and use the lab machine instead of their MB and just walk out when class is over.  Of course, they come back in like 30 seconds, but I was just implying that since I wouldn't use it to code at least until next year, I have no reason to bring it to class.  I'm almost certain most of the people bring theirs to class just to show off anyway
eyes.gif
cuz no one takes notes in that class
laugh.gif

[h4]Apple refreshes MacBook Pro family with Sandy Bridge processors, AMD graphics, Thunderbolt I/O tech, and FaceTime HD cameras[/h4]
By Joanna Stern posted Feb 24th 2011 9:02AM

Breaking News

post_icon_pr.gif

macbookpro.png

Come on, you knew this was coming! Oh yes, Apple's pulling the curtain off its new MacBook Pro family, and compared to the last refresh cycle, there are a serious amount of updates. Just as we had heard all three will be getting new Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 and i7 processors, AMD Radeon HD 6000M graphics (bye bye, NVIDIA!), FaceTime HD cameras, and some super fast Thunderbolt I/O transfer speeds. There are two new 13-inchers, two 15.4-inch versions, and one lone 17-inch model. How much will they cost you and what are the exact specs? You'll want to hit the jump for all of that and the official press release.
Apple MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt

• 13-inch MacBook Pro - Last time around the 13-inchers didn't exactly get a lot of love (they stuck with the Core 2 Duo processors), but this time is different -- both 13.3-inch models are now available with Core i5 and i7 processors. The lower end model starts at $1,199, and features a 2.4GHz dual-core Core i5 processor and 320GB hard drive. Going up to the 2.7GHz dual-core Core i7 CPU and 500GB hard drive will set you back $1,499. This duo doesn't get the AMD graphics treatment like the others, but from what we've heard Intel's new powerful HD 3000 integrated graphics are more powerful than ever.
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro - No more Core i5 options for the middle child -- these two get strictly the Core i7 and AMD Radeon HD 6000M goods. The $1,799 model packs a 2.0GHz quad-core Core i7 processor, AMD Radeon HD6490M graphics, and a 500GB hard drive. On the higher end, there's a $2,199 model which buys you a faster 2.2GHz Core i7 chip, AMD Radeon 6750M graphics, and 750GB hard drive.
  • 17-inch MacBook Pro - Last but not least you've got the all-powerful 17-incher, which basically has the same specs as that high end 15-incher -- for $2,499 you get that same 2.2GHz Core i7 processor, AMD Radeon 6750M graphics and a 750GB hard drive.
All the new MacBook Pro models are up for order on Apple's store today, although at the moment the store still appears to be down. Stay tuned for some hands-on impressions and eventually a full review!

[h4]Apple refreshes MacBook Pro family with Sandy Bridge processors, AMD graphics, Thunderbolt I/O tech, and FaceTime HD cameras[/h4]
By Joanna Stern posted Feb 24th 2011 9:02AM

Breaking News

post_icon_pr.gif

macbookpro.png

Come on, you knew this was coming! Oh yes, Apple's pulling the curtain off its new MacBook Pro family, and compared to the last refresh cycle, there are a serious amount of updates. Just as we had heard all three will be getting new Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 and i7 processors, AMD Radeon HD 6000M graphics (bye bye, NVIDIA!), FaceTime HD cameras, and some super fast Thunderbolt I/O transfer speeds. There are two new 13-inchers, two 15.4-inch versions, and one lone 17-inch model. How much will they cost you and what are the exact specs? You'll want to hit the jump for all of that and the official press release.
Apple MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt

• 13-inch MacBook Pro - Last time around the 13-inchers didn't exactly get a lot of love (they stuck with the Core 2 Duo processors), but this time is different -- both 13.3-inch models are now available with Core i5 and i7 processors. The lower end model starts at $1,199, and features a 2.4GHz dual-core Core i5 processor and 320GB hard drive. Going up to the 2.7GHz dual-core Core i7 CPU and 500GB hard drive will set you back $1,499. This duo doesn't get the AMD graphics treatment like the others, but from what we've heard Intel's new powerful HD 3000 integrated graphics are more powerful than ever.
  • 15-inch MacBook Pro - No more Core i5 options for the middle child -- these two get strictly the Core i7 and AMD Radeon HD 6000M goods. The $1,799 model packs a 2.0GHz quad-core Core i7 processor, AMD Radeon HD6490M graphics, and a 500GB hard drive. On the higher end, there's a $2,199 model which buys you a faster 2.2GHz Core i7 chip, AMD Radeon 6750M graphics, and 750GB hard drive.
  • 17-inch MacBook Pro - Last but not least you've got the all-powerful 17-incher, which basically has the same specs as that high end 15-incher -- for $2,499 you get that same 2.2GHz Core i7 processor, AMD Radeon 6750M graphics and a 750GB hard drive.
All the new MacBook Pro models are up for order on Apple's store today, although at the moment the store still appears to be down. Stay tuned for some hands-on impressions and eventually a full review!

article_label_fileunder.gif
Laptops
[h4]MacBook Pro (early 2011) with Thunderbolt hands-on[/h4]
By Nilay Patel posted Feb 24th 2011 11:30AM

Hands-On

post_icon_video.gif

2011-02-24mbpp.jpg

We just got our new 15-inch MacBook Pro review unit, and although it looks almost exactly the same as the previous MBP, it has that fancy new Thunderbolt icon on the side, which ought to make I/O nerd hearts flutter the world over. Unfortunately, there aren't any Thunderbolt peripherals on the market yet, so we can't really test the new connection yet, but we can report that backwards compatibility with Mini DisplayPort performs as advertised and that all of our display adapters worked without issue -- the first time we can ever remember Apple switching a standard and not requiring all new dongles.

As for performance, we were given the $2,199 configuration with a 2.2GHz quad-core Sandy Bridge Core i7, discrete AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics, 4GB of RAM and a 750GB HD, which clocked a preliminary GeekBench score of 9647. We'll have tons more testing in our full review, including detailed comparisons of the discrete chip with Intel's new integrated HD Graphics 3000.

Apple did give us a quick demo on the new system with a prototype Promise RAID unit and a stock Cinema Display connected over Thunderbolt -- remember, Thunderbolt just uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, so displays can be daisy-chained right in. Apple's demo was a variation of the same thing Intel's been doing for a while -- they played four uncompressed HD video streams off the RAID simultaneously, which pegged the Thunderbolt throughput meter at 600-700MBps. We also watched a 5GB file transfer in just a few seconds -- all very impressive, but we're definitely anxious to try some of this stuff ourselves once Thunderbolt devices start shipping sometime in the spring.

Apple also told us that Thunderbolt is running on copper and not optical cables (like the Light Peak protoypes) so that it can support bus-powered devices -- there's 10 watts of power available on the bus, up slightly from FireWire's 8 watts. Up to six devices can be daisy-chained from one port, and since Thunderbolt is based on PCI Express, it can even support FireWire and USB adapters. That's great news for the future of the interface, but the MacBook Pro still has two USB 2.0 and one FireWire 800 port, so it's not of critical importance right this second.

We'll have much, much more in our full review -- check back in a few days!

Full Gallery

article_label_fileunder.gif
Laptops
[h4]MacBook Pro (early 2011) with Thunderbolt hands-on[/h4]
By Nilay Patel posted Feb 24th 2011 11:30AM

Hands-On

post_icon_video.gif

2011-02-24mbpp.jpg

We just got our new 15-inch MacBook Pro review unit, and although it looks almost exactly the same as the previous MBP, it has that fancy new Thunderbolt icon on the side, which ought to make I/O nerd hearts flutter the world over. Unfortunately, there aren't any Thunderbolt peripherals on the market yet, so we can't really test the new connection yet, but we can report that backwards compatibility with Mini DisplayPort performs as advertised and that all of our display adapters worked without issue -- the first time we can ever remember Apple switching a standard and not requiring all new dongles.

As for performance, we were given the $2,199 configuration with a 2.2GHz quad-core Sandy Bridge Core i7, discrete AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics, 4GB of RAM and a 750GB HD, which clocked a preliminary GeekBench score of 9647. We'll have tons more testing in our full review, including detailed comparisons of the discrete chip with Intel's new integrated HD Graphics 3000.

Apple did give us a quick demo on the new system with a prototype Promise RAID unit and a stock Cinema Display connected over Thunderbolt -- remember, Thunderbolt just uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, so displays can be daisy-chained right in. Apple's demo was a variation of the same thing Intel's been doing for a while -- they played four uncompressed HD video streams off the RAID simultaneously, which pegged the Thunderbolt throughput meter at 600-700MBps. We also watched a 5GB file transfer in just a few seconds -- all very impressive, but we're definitely anxious to try some of this stuff ourselves once Thunderbolt devices start shipping sometime in the spring.

Apple also told us that Thunderbolt is running on copper and not optical cables (like the Light Peak protoypes) so that it can support bus-powered devices -- there's 10 watts of power available on the bus, up slightly from FireWire's 8 watts. Up to six devices can be daisy-chained from one port, and since Thunderbolt is based on PCI Express, it can even support FireWire and USB adapters. That's great news for the future of the interface, but the MacBook Pro still has two USB 2.0 and one FireWire 800 port, so it's not of critical importance right this second.

We'll have much, much more in our full review -- check back in a few days!

Full Gallery

Originally Posted by bxbadboy90

The day that Macbooks come with a HDMI port is when ill get one
you could always just use a displayport to HDMI cord or an adapter though 
ohwell.gif
. It's serves the same purpose

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

ohwell.gif
I wouldn't want to carry around an adapter for that. It's inexcusable to not have HDMI by now. 

ohwell.gif
I wouldn't want to carry around an adapter for that. It's inexcusable to not have HDMI by now. 

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

ohwell.gif
They'll put it on next year and charge an extra 500 for it
grin.gif

ohwell.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

ohwell.gif
grin.gif
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif
 word

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

ohwell.gif
grin.gif
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif
 word

Back
Top Bottom