Mad Men Season Six Thread - Episode Thirteen - Season Finale - "In Care Of"

Great episode!

Don played Ted just like he did Roger a few seasons back, got him wasted to make a fool of himself. Don trying to establish that he is top dog early in this merger. However it was great to see Ted's partner tell him that he to let Don have the first couple of rounds and that he'll tire himself out. As they were flying Ted tell Don sometimes when you're flying you think you're right side up but really you're upside down. Brillant! The tension between the two of them is going to be great. Peggy also clearly knew what Don was up to when Ted stumbled in there, that tension is going to be serious as well.

I feel like there is going to be a Joan and Bob relationship going on, interested to see how that plays out. Bob genuinely seems like a good guy and Joan clearly wants to keep him around.

:smh: at Don getting all sad over his affair being over. His issues really go deep.

Smh at Don by the end of the episode tho.. The homie was sick when she decided the games were over

Great ep. Didn't want it to end. I didn't care for the mistress scenes(he really was getting off on being in control and she obviously felt foolish afterwards) at all but everything else fantastic.hilario

:rofl: @ the airplane scene. That was crazy hilarious. For a minute I really thought they were gonna die.

Pete being extra paranoid along with his personal problem, Ted getting drunk under the table, Bob being useful.

I really enjoyed how this episode was about Don thinking he has power/control but he finds out he has none.

The scene at the end where Megan is talking and he's hearing nothing coming out of her mouth is spot on. Don is a lost soul. He needs help, redemption, and true happiness. I don't think his character will ever get those things. :frown:

Last edited:
tumblr_mmqpuk0Z331s5e5bko1_400.gif

Glad i finally caught up with this thread..

Even if he simpin Don is still the man..
How to be a player Featuring Don Draper

The plane scene was a great reversal of the drinking scene earlier, with Don out of his element instead. Kind of heavy handed but still good.

Last edited:
Great episode.

Roger gets a lot of great one liners, but he nailed it this week and John Slattery directed a great episode. Roger was SO HAPPY to fire Burt again :lol: "Probably doesn't make a difference at this point, but no one fought for you". :rofl: cold blooded

I'm really liking Ted so far, from his different approach to the job and then this point I read in a review from the AV Club
http://www.avclub.com/articles/man-with-a-plan,97161/
Don doesn’t really plot a professional humiliation of Ted. It’s more like he toys with the other guy like a cat with a mouse. Yet Ted has the support of friends and a respect that comes from his colleagues not from fear but from camaraderie. Peggy, who, let’s not forget, is nursing a crush on the man, tells Don that she wishes Ted had rubbed off on Don, rather than the other way around, and this episode seems to go out of its way to paint Ted as a long-suffering guy who just wants to do good work and get ahead, while painting Don as a man who likes to put the people in his life into little boxes—very nearly literally, in the case of Sylvia—then insist that they abandon free will in the face of his desires.
The review also mentioned the obvious parallel to Don drinking Roger under the table back in the first season and how Don was the hero in that scene... but doing the same thing here makes him the villain.

Ted also is as close to a true rival as Don ever had... and we never really got to see that up close and personal until now. Ted is obviously talented and like the quote says, he has people he can turn to and who respect him... unlike Don.

I'm glad Don and Sylvia are done, just because that story was over and they would have needed to elaborate on it to drag it out any longer. Jon Hamm delivered a great performance tonight, ranging from his sexual dominance over her to immediately being broken when she ended it. Don won't ever be satisfied with the woman he's with and she ended it before he came to that same realization

Bob Benson was finally useful in this episode and I liked his and Joan's little story. Whether or not he wanted to save his own job, he still helped her when she needed it... and I was glad Joan returned the favor.

Subtle, thematic line of the night, Ted saying to Don "Sometimes when you're flying you think you're right side up but you're upside down... have to read your instruments". Which could definitely be applied to Don. He always thinks he has a handle on things and when things go bad, he seems so surprised... but he's never looking at his instruments. His co-workers, his family, and those around him... he never cares or pays attention.

Also from the AV Club
Don Draper may be the cool guy in the room, and he may be the person so many men around him want to be, but he’ll never be the guy who flew the plane to that meeting. Stuck on an island of his own making, Don can’t make the climb. He can only rely on others to do it for him.

A really solid episode sizing Don up, even after all these years, they've found interesting ways to go after this character. When Ted was talking to his partner in the hospital, he described Don as "mysterious" and that "He doesn't talk for long stretches, then he's incredibly eloquent". Don still has the charm and mystique, but that only goes so far.

Last edited:
I finally saw the episode and Peggy stole the show for me. Last week in my post show comment I mentioned that Peggy hates working for Don because she knows she'll never reach her full potential working for him. I still believe in my prior analysis but I think this episode showed that working for Ted has taught Peggy that their are two roads to success, the Don road and the Ted road. The Don road to success is paved by treating people like dirt to stir their creative process, never backing down from your belief that your idea is better than everyone's and staying away from teamwork because it doesn't add anything to the process. The Ted road to success is paved by treating people with respect, understanding that everyone is important to the creative process and that at the end of the day what you do on the job can't define who you are as a person.

Notice how at the beginning of the season Peggy treated her employees just like Don did (not letting them get food and calling them lazy) but I think as the season has gone on she sees how Ted has always treated his employees with dignity and respect and how he is very successful. Peggy hates how Don mistreats people and she now knows that the Don Draper way isn't the only way to be successful.

wow that last theory. I wouldn't even be mad
+1

I'd be really happy if that's how the series ended.
They may be 1 more season. AMC has stated that season 7 is probably going to be the last. Seeing as this show applies historical events 5 years must pass between now and the end of season 7. Doubt it. But I think he will switch identities after ruining his life.

Also dude forgot to mention the season where Don lives with hippies for a while. That could be foreshadowing his theory!

Whether or not we see that actual theory, I definitely think Don escaping once and for all again would be a great ending. A lot of people have talked about killing off Don, so I think killing off the identity of "Don Draper" but not really killing him, would be a smart compromise.

Great episode.

Roger gets a lot of great one liners, but he nailed it this week and John Slattery directed a great episode. Roger was SO HAPPY to fire Burt again :lol: "Probably doesn't make a difference at this point, but no one fought for you". :rofl: cold blooded

I'm really liking Ted so far, from his different approach to the job and then this point I read in a review from the AV Club
http://www.avclub.com/articles/man-with-a-plan,97161/
Don doesn’t really plot a professional humiliation of Ted. It’s more like he toys with the other guy like a cat with a mouse. Yet Ted has the support of friends and a respect that comes from his colleagues not from fear but from camaraderie. Peggy, who, let’s not forget, is nursing a crush on the man, tells Don that she wishes Ted had rubbed off on Don, rather than the other way around, and this episode seems to go out of its way to paint Ted as a long-suffering guy who just wants to do good work and get ahead, while painting Don as a man who likes to put the people in his life into little boxes—very nearly literally, in the case of Sylvia—then insist that they abandon free will in the face of his desires.
The review also mentioned the obvious parallel to Don drinking Roger under the table back in the first season and how Don was the hero in that scene... but doing the same thing here makes him the villain.

Ted also is as close to a true rival as Don ever had... and we never really got to see that up close and personal until now. Ted is obviously talented and like the quote says, he has people he can turn to and who respect him... unlike Don.

I'm glad Don and Sylvia are done, just because that story was over and they would have needed to elaborate on it to drag it out any longer. Jon Hamm delivered a great performance tonight, ranging from his sexual dominance over her to immediately being broken when she ended it. Don won't ever be satisfied with the woman he's with and she ended it before he came to that same realization

Bob Benson was finally useful in this episode and I liked his and Joan's little story. Whether or not he wanted to save his own job, he still helped her when she needed it... and I was glad Joan returned the favor.

Subtle, thematic line of the night, Ted saying to Don "Sometimes when you're flying you think you're right side up but you're upside down... have to read your instruments". Which could definitely be applied to Don. He always thinks he has a handle on things and when things go bad, he seems so surprised... but he's never looking at his instruments. His co-workers, his family, and those around him... he never cares or pays attention.

Also from the AV Club
Don Draper may be the cool guy in the room, and he may be the person so many men around him want to be, but he’ll never be the guy who flew the plane to that meeting. Stuck on an island of his own making, Don can’t make the climb. He can only rely on others to do it for him.

A really solid episode sizing Don up, even after all these years, they've found interesting ways to go after this character. When Ted was talking to his partner in the hospital, he described Don as "mysterious" and that "He doesn't talk for long stretches, then he's incredibly eloquent". Don still has the charm and mystique, but that only goes so far.

The idea of the little boxes and the need to dominate and control explains a lot. I think this is more so the case of why he falls for these women instead of him being a simp. I mean think about it he grew up in a ***** house where he saw his male figure dominate women and take away their free will. Don does not like women to have free will and I think it bothers him when they do. That's why he keeps "sticking up" for Joan with Herb, I don't think that he likes the fact that she did it her way and had free will. This really explains why all of his relationships are the way they are.

Back
Top Bottom