Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

The problem with a JL movie is that they are mostly gods. The vast majority of the movie will be CG. A bm/sm movie could be done but it's not going to be the batman we see from the past series, which will be a let down.

Exactly.

Compared to Nolan's Batman, Superman looks like a god from the lil bit we've seen of him in the Man of Steel comic con trailer. I just can't see how they would resolve that. The only solution would be to reboot Batman into a much stronger character or reboot Superman into a lesser being/physical speciman. Right now, those two heroes occupy world's that are too far apart.

The god analogy is a great point actually. The reason the Avengers works is because only two of them are ridiculously powerful( Thor and Hulk) while the rest of the team are humans. The human element is very important with that team. The JLA as a whole is so ridiculously powerful that they would need to introduce a villain that trumps them all, which can be farfetched on screen. I hope that they'll be able to bring JLA to the screen sometime......I just wonder how.

I think you just have to introduce a whole new batman, maybe even start it with a little hint here and there in the new superman movie, take it from there and expand the idea that other heroes are in this new world. Hell even make it Realistic without to much magic and might. I do believe there will be a JLA movie in the next 10 years

I think you just have to introduce a whole new batman, maybe even start it with a little hint here and there in the new superman movie, take it from there and expand the idea that other heroes are in this new world. Hell even make it Realistic without to much magic and might. I do believe there will be a JLA movie in the next 10 years

They have to include a bit of Magic tho. It Supes other weakness that NO ONE exploits

I forgot about this...it kinda shifts my preference for Batman

[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

First time i saw this, I was wondering how :smokin Bill was for thinking of that ****... LOL:rofl:

this. Does the general public even know who is in JLA other than batman and superman? :nerd:
Green lantern, wonder woman, flash, aquaman only ones I know
Then again I used to read a lot of comics, so maybe not "general public".

As far as a JL movie is concerned, look at green lantern..... GARBAGE! And that was just one character. Think of the fail if they threw in more...... No! It would just be wrong.

The problem with a JL movie is that they are mostly gods. The vast majority of the movie will be CG. A bm/sm movie could be done but it's not going to be the batman we see from the past series, which will be a let down.

Nolans Batman is realistic (or tried to make it as realistic as possible) so no meta, supernatural or alien exist in that world so we won’t see that Batman with Superman. However, this new Superman is a bit serious and has a slightly darker tone, which can be world that a different Batman could live in. A Superman/Batman film doesn’t have to be dark to make Batman fit in, I liked Tim Burtons Batman films where it can be somewhat gothic and dark but also a bit campy and still retain a comic book feel. I can see a slightly darker and boy scout Superman fitting in the Burton Batman with a villain like the Joker or Lex being the villain.

I think people are just getting caught up with Nolans great films that it is the only thing people want to see now. You have to consider that other films works out there too. The IronMan film was great w/o being dark nor campy. Thor was also done well w/o being edgy or trying to make it realistic. Heck they even made Capt. America work and a guy carrying a red, white and blue shield could easily look corny and stupid but they pulled it off.

Actually, the JLA being “gods” is no different that the Avengers really. Bats is an equivalent of IronMan, Thor & Hulk are practically indestructible and just bash people just like Superman & WW. Then just add GL and Flash to the mix and it really much different. A competent writer could make it all work and a great writer can make it great. It’s about finding the right writers/scripts and director really.

with Nolan being involved this should be good but if somehow it isnt they should stop making Superman movies for at least 10-15 years cause Im tired of them trying to get it right

with Nolan being involved this should be good but if somehow it isnt they should stop making Superman movies for at least 10-15 years cause Im tired of them trying to get it right

Before the 2006 film (which really is decent to say the least) the last Superman film was 1987, almost 26 years ago. There has been essentially 1 Superman film since, in that timespan, Man of Steel coming out next year being the second Superman film in the past 26-27 years. In comparison there have been 7 Batman films in the past 23 years (9 Batman films total) and 2 of those were just atrocities unleashed to the world of cinema and comic book world alike. I get the great things Nolan has done to the Batman franchise but that is still a lot of Batman films and we had to go through the crap Schumacher did to get to the great ones.

I guess my point is where are all these "I'm tired of them rebooting or trying to make a successful Superman film" coming from? Most here weren't even born yet and the Superman film of their generation is Superman Returns (which isn't even exactly a reboot). If you consider the Superman film from 1978, that is 5 films in the past 35 years, Man of Steel will be the 6th and only two of those are consider super terrible (SIII & SIV) but SI & SII were good films (SII arguably the best Superman film and most considers really good?) and SR is decent at most.

So again, why all the hate as if this film is being remade and produced every 3 years?

To the naysayers, consider SR as Schumachers Batman and we might just be looking at the next best Superman film made for our generation?

Before the 2006 film (which really is decent to say the least) the last Superman film was 1987, almost 26 years ago. There has been essentially 1 Superman film since, in that timespan, Man of Steel coming out next year being the second Superman film in the past 26-27 years. In comparison there have been 7 Batman films in the past 23 years (9 Batman films total) and 2 of those were just atrocities unleashed to the world of cinema and comic book world alike. I get the great things Nolan has done to the Batman franchise but that is still a lot of Batman films and we had to go through the crap Schumacher did to get to the great ones.
I guess my point is where are all these "I'm tired of them rebooting or trying to make a successful Superman film" coming from? Most here weren't even born yet and the Superman film of their generation is Superman Returns (which isn't even exactly a reboot). If you consider the Superman film from 1978, that is 5 films in the past 35 years, Man of Steel will be the 6th and only two of those are consider super terrible (SIII & SIV) but SI & SII were good films (SII arguably the best Superman film and most considers really good?) and SR is decent at most.
So again, why all the hate as if this film is being remade and produced every 3 years?
To the naysayers, consider SR as Schumachers Batman and we might just be looking at the next best Superman film made for our generation?

In addition, I am also certain that after Schumachers Bat nipples, dim-witted Bane, Governator as Mr Freeze, etc... everyone is likely saying the same thing when Batman Begins was about to come out in 2005. "Another reboot and who the hell is Christopher Nolan?"

yeah I guess you're right I just think Superman Returns left a really bitter taste in my mouth that I didnt even realize the Reeves' version werent made since the 80s

Don't get me wrong I'd still probably see the movie, but what makes Superman unattractive to me and why Batman was is that he has pretty much every single power out there. Like y'all were saying about JL being 'gods' he really can do whatever he wants. He's almost too powerful for his own good, whereas Batman has tons of flaws and weaknesses, and it I'd those weaknesses that make him relatable to audiences. I kinda want them to humanize superman, maybe he doesn't discover ALL of his powers until much later or in save some for a sequel

Don't get me wrong I'd still probably see the movie, but what makes Superman unattractive to me and why Batman was is that he has pretty much every single power out there. Like y'all were saying about JL being 'gods' he really can do whatever he wants. He's almost too powerful for his own good, whereas Batman has tons of flaws and weaknesses, and it I'd those weaknesses that make him relatable to audiences. I kinda want them to humanize superman, maybe he doesn't discover ALL of his powers until much later or in save some for a sequel

You gotta take that up with Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel man, Superman is the OG superhero so of course they gave him every superpower. He was meant to be a standard of goodness and power in an late Depression-era America one the brink of a world war. Every other superhero was based of the foundation that Superman set. We live in a society that demonizes greatness and frowns upon being anything but mediocre, let boy cook and give us something to look up to.

Last edited:
I kinda want them to humanize superman, maybe he doesn't discover ALL of his powers until much later or in save some for a sequel

I think this is where Superman would never win. He has his weaknesses and his villains has taken advantage to it but if they humanize him, people will complain that isn't the true Superman. The same way people want a darker Superman but others doesn't want that because that is not the real Superman but then the other half doesn't like it that he is such a boy scout. The hard part is finding that fine line, the middle ground that will make it likable by the general audience.

[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

I hate this speech. It shows a complete misunderstanding of what Superman is. He's been Clark Kent longer than he was ever Kal-El; it's something that happened to him when he was 13 long after he had already formed an identity and sense of self. Superman is his way of reconciling both sides of himself (its right there in the symbol too -- the red of Krypton's sun intertwining with the yellow of Earth's) and honoring the sacrifices made to allow him to live. Morrison has the best description of who Superman is:

“In the end I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as the story of the everyman. We’re all supermen in our own adventures. We have our own fortresses of solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super secrets, our own bottled cities that we feel guilty for neglecting. We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with. That S is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are.”

In addition, I am also certain that after Schumachers Bat nipples, dim-witted Bane, Governator as Mr Freeze, etc... everyone is likely saying the same thing when Batman Begins was about to come out in 2005. "Another reboot and who the hell is Christopher Nolan?"

But Nolan had already proven himself a quality filmmaker with Memento and Insomnia, Zak Snyder isn't that good and has already had a chance with a comic book adaption and it was mediocre.

But Nolan had already proven himself a quality filmmaker with Memento and Insomnia, Zak Snyder isn't that good and has already had a chance with a comic book adaption and it was mediocre.

Films that had minimal following, critically acclaimed but still not something you would consider a huge blockbuster. He hasn't done a big or huge hit film and was still relatively unknown, he has done like what, 3-4 films before BB? I am almost certain that even by those films alone, no one would imagine what Nolan has created with the Batman franchise and people had doubts. BB isn't even rated as high as TDK so he didn't exactly hit a home run right off the bat.

Snyder has done Dawn of the Dead and made it watchable again. If people could accept 300 for what it is, just pure testosterone action flick, it's a good and enjoyable film.

I thought he did a great job with Watchmen considering the source material. And to be honest, even Sucker Punch was watchable for it's action and cinematography alone and isn't that what most people felt was lacking in SR?

Snyder has done some good and some bad but to me what he does good can be great. He isn't as bad as Michael Bay.

Plus Nolan is producing and his brother is co-writing this film too so again by those alone I think the film is moving towards the right direction.

Stop it 5.
2006 film was not decent, it was the film equivalent to a can of Brisk. After it finished you're back at square one thirsty.
Mind you, you aren't thirsty because is wasn't enough, you're thirsty because what you just consumed did absolutely nothing for you, it left as soon as it came.

Back
Top Bottom