Man of Steel (Superman Movie Thread) - June 14, 2013 - NEW Trailer pg20

Im still on the fence about the suit. I like the alien-ish flair and details, because it makes sense.

However the texture looks like a dodgeball and in my opinion, the lack of the red underpants makes the overall color of the suit off balance.

This is absolutely how you handle Superman.

Give him the conflict... that we can relate to. Humanize the superhuman alien... a tough job, but this last trailer makes me incredibly confident. It also helps when you surround Superman with a very strong cast. Costner, Crowe, Shannon, Adams... it'll make simply a good scene into a great scene by having the right actors.

Plus it looks flatout amazing.
well put Big J!

Zack Snyder Talks Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel

Not everyone can step into the shoes of an iconic role like Superman. Something about the character is only very believable when a certain look and feel is present. Luckily for all of us, it would appear Man of Steel star Henry Cavill has it. Zack Snyder spoke with SFX Magazine about the upcoming reboot and Cavill's portrayal.

"God, he's so Supermanish it's crazy! There was a telling moment – we put him in the Christopher Reeve costume, because we didn't have a suit yet, we just had the old spandex suit. He stepped out of the trailer and no one laughed. It's the difference between being Superman and dressing up like Superman. If I'm dressed up like Superman it's like a Halloween costume. If you're Henry it's your clothes. It's awesome. Watch the movie and you're like 'Holy $!@#, that's Superman.' And it's not weird or crazy, it's just cool."

Not only has the look of Superman been updated for the film, but his abilities have been given a jumpstart too, specifically flying.

"It's a more violent experience. It's raw. It takes effort to do it, and that's what we were really going for. It's almost like there's this kind of Right Stuff quality to it. He's constantly booming around, accelerating. You think he's going as fast as he can and then it's like 'Yeeaahh!' He's always got an extra gear he can use."

The film's representation of Krypton also appears to be a new take on the doomed planet. Snyder had many specific ideas in mind for Superman's home world.

"I really wanted my Krypton to be this kind of special place that’s immersive and totally different from Earth, but not unbelievable. And ancient. I really wanted to give this ancient feeling to Krypton. I love technology that's rusty because it's so old. It's so advanced, but it's so old. That was the kind of world that I tried to create. A dying world that’s ancient and torn apart."

Not everyone can step into the shoes of an iconic role like Superman. Something about the character is only very believable when a certain look and feel is present. Luckily for all of us, it would appear Man of Steel star Henry Cavill has it. Zack Snyder spoke with SFX Magazine about the upcoming reboot and Cavill's portrayal.

"God, he's so Supermanish it's crazy! There was a telling moment – we put him in the Christopher Reeve costume, because we didn't have a suit yet, we just had the old spandex suit. He stepped out of the trailer and no one laughed. It's the difference between being Superman and dressing up like Superman. If I'm dressed up like Superman it's like a Halloween costume. If you're Henry it's your clothes. It's awesome. Watch the movie and you're like 'Holy $!@#, that's Superman.' And it's not weird or crazy, it's just cool."

Not only has the look of Superman been updated for the film, but his abilities have been given a jumpstart too, specifically flying.

"It's a more violent experience. It's raw. It takes effort to do it, and that's what we were really going for. It's almost like there's this kind of Right Stuff quality to it. He's constantly booming around, accelerating. You think he's going as fast as he can and then it's like 'Yeeaahh!' He's always got an extra gear he can use."

The film's representation of Krypton also appears to be a new take on the doomed planet. Snyder had many specific ideas in mind for Superman's home world.

"I really wanted my Krypton to be this kind of special place that’s immersive and totally different from Earth, but not unbelievable. And ancient. I really wanted to give this ancient feeling to Krypton. I love technology that's rusty because it's so old. It's so advanced, but it's so old. That was the kind of world that I tried to create. A dying world that’s ancient and torn apart."
Everything he said in that is exactly what's needs to actually pull off a good superman movie for today's audiences. Him flying specially at the speed he flies should be turbulent as well as what he said about the look if krypton.
Also I hope brainiac is never put to film I think he would be boring

Everything he said in that is exactly what's needs to actually pull off a good superman movie for today's audiences. Him flying specially at the speed he flies should be turbulent as well as what he said about the look if krypton.
Also I hope brainiac is never put to film I think he would be boring

Co-sign.

Superhero movies nowadays need to be gritty and rough around the edges. Flying scenes should be rocky, make the audience feel uncomfortable and uneasy. I like the bit about it being a "violent" experience. Sometimes, action scenes are too smooth to be believable. Of course, humans flying in itself is not believable, but if you can capture their imagination for even just a second, you've done something in the film industry.

Superhero movies nowadays need to be gritty and rough around the edges.
No they don't. Just because Nolan did it with his reinterpretation of Batman doesn't mean that everyone needs to do it. Dark, gritty and rough around the edges doesn't fit every hero. The Amazing Spider Man turned out to be well done and it was neither of what you think superhero movies need to be.

No they don't. Just because Nolan did it with his reinterpretation of Batman doesn't mean that everyone needs to do it. Dark, gritty and rough around the edges doesn't fit every hero. The Amazing Spider Man turned out to be well done and it was neither of what you think superhero movies need to be.

I could be wrong in his interpretation of gritty but I believe he means that the characters need to be a little rough around the edges. The OG Supes movie had Clark with no personal issues. This movie I believe does that. Although Smallville was terrible at times I think that's why it lasted so long.

This is going to sound weird, but I hope a side by side comparison pic of Henry and Reeves in the same costume.

Eh, I'm going to go in with zero expectations, despite what I'm seeing from the trailer.

I was so hyped after watching the trailer for SR (I mean, who wasn't? One of the best trailers of all time) and the movie just sucked so hard.

Seriously, just an epic trailer. Probably the biggest drop in trailer quality to movie quality:
Woooord epic trailerI thought for sure it would deliver

^ It could and would have. I blame the writers and the directions they went with it. Nothing about that movie stood out and said Superman.~

Last edited:
Eh, I'm going to go in with zero expectations, despite what I'm seeing from the trailer.

I was so hyped after watching the trailer for SR (I mean, who wasn't? One of the best trailers of all time) and the movie just sucked so hard.

Seriously, just an epic trailer. Probably the biggest drop in trailer quality to movie quality:
Woooord epic trailerI thought for sure it would deliver

When the Kent mailbox is shown and the music starts, gives me chills every time.

Back
Top Bottom