Mark McGwire admits to using steroids in 1998

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Weren't roids legal back then anyways though?

One of the many arguments as to why it shouldnt matter that people were using roids.
At this point this is all baseball's fault for allowing it, they swept it under the rug because the sport drew interest again with all thesehomeruns.

I don't cut the players slack but at the same time I don't blame them.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

His numbers before getting big are proof that he was building a Hall of Fame resume.
You look at his numbers and before 1998 he was in.

400-400 has never been done.

Its funny how few people have this opinion when it comes to Bonds.

I have to disagree with that. I always hear commentators say that about Bonds. I think people question Bonds' (alleged) decision to use steroids morethan a lot of other players because he was so good even before he (allegedly) started using. I thought it was pretty much conceded by everyone that he had anHOF career well before he starting having crazy home run numbers.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Wonder if Sosa will ever come clean now...
ehh, doubt it
laugh.gif
grin.gif

sammy_sosa_white.jpg

His numbers before getting big are proof that he was building a Hall of Fame resume.

Because he is black.......Opinions of players when something bad happens is and will always ALSO be determined by their color. I dont care what anyone says.

I actually think many people feel that way about Bonds' career.

However the question many other people had with Bonds was and still is, if you were well on your way to being an all-timer then why even entertain the thoughtof being a human pharmacy?

And beyond that, if it was "no big deal" to juice up the way he did and everyone was doing it then why lie about it for a decade? Which isessentially what Bonds has done. It's everybody's fault but his.

So what we have here is an all time great who, a) said to himself his current talent was not enough, b) realized what he did was so wrong that he could not ownup to it.

So where we sit now is Bonds currently has GOAT numbers yet no one knows how much of that is real. And that's no one's fault but his own and hisculture's. I have no issue with people not giving him the mantle or the Mt Rushmore. And until we see him actually own up to something we will continue tosee him get flack.

Well, now that 1984 McGwire USA baseball card I have really isn't worth a damn...

This news is no shocker.

Can't wait to throw injection needles onto Wrigley Field when the Cards come to town.

Originally Posted by FLINTGREY

This news is no shocker.

Can't wait to throw injection needles onto Wrigley Field when the Cards come to town.

We have nothing we can say. Sammy isn't exactly the same 170 pound kid as when we got him.

Glass houses, stones, @#$% like that.....
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

However the question many other people had with Bonds was and still is, if you were well on your way to being an all-timer then why even entertain the thought of being a human pharmacy?

And beyond that, if it was "no big deal" to juice up the way he did and everyone was doing it then why lie about it for a decade? Which is essentially what Bonds has done. It's everybody's fault but his.

So what we have here is an all time great who, a) said to himself his current talent was not enough, b) realized what he did was so wrong that he could not own up to it.

So where we sit now is Bonds currently has GOAT numbers yet no one knows how much of that is real. And that's no one's fault but his own and his culture's. I have no issue with people not giving him the mantle or the Mt Rushmore. And until we see him actually own up to something we will continue to see him get flack.

I agree with your questions of Bonds. But if you want to accept Game of Shadows as fact you have to accept it all as fact. As a Bonds "fan" I acceptthat 362 of his homers' cant count, and anything else is a what if.

He is one of the greatest players in his first 12 years. 12 years got Kirby Puckett elected to the hall. Why can't Bonds first 12 get him elected?

However the question many other people had with Bonds was and still is, if you were well on your way to being an all-timer then why even entertain the thought of being a human pharmacy?

And beyond that, if it was "no big deal" to juice up the way he did and everyone was doing it then why lie about it for a decade? Which is essentially what Bonds has done. It's everybody's fault but his.

So what we have here is an all time great who, a) said to himself his current talent was not enough, b) realized what he did was so wrong that he could not own up to it.

So where we sit now is Bonds currently has GOAT numbers yet no one knows how much of that is real. And that's no one's fault but his own and his culture's. I have no issue with people not giving him the mantle or the Mt Rushmore. And until we see him actually own up to something we will continue to see him get flack.

I agree with your questions of Bonds. But if you want to accept Game of Shadows as fact you have to accept it all as fact. As a Bonds "fan" I accept that 362 of his homers' cant count, and anything else is a what if.

He is one of the greatest players in his first 12 years. 12 years got Kirby Puckett elected to the hall. Why can't Bonds first 12 get him elected?

It would be a joke to elect Bonds based on an incomplete portion of his career.

Nothing can take away what he did, his numbers are unprecedented and daunting. There have steroid users who have done far less than what Bonds has done, andthis is a testament to how great Bonds was with and without help.

For the Hall of Fame to be able to claim status as preservers of baseball's greatest men and records, Barry Bonds has to get in.

good for him to finally be honest. i wish the others will go ahead and man up too.

i swear if griffey jr or thome or jeter are also on that list of roids users, ..... man oh man....

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

I agree with your questions of Bonds. But if you want to accept Game of Shadows as fact you have to accept it all as fact. As a Bonds "fan" I accept that 362 of his homers' cant count, and anything else is a what if.

It would be a joke to elect Bonds based on an incomplete portion of his career.

Nothing can take away what he did, his numbers are unprecedented and daunting. There have steroid users who have done far less than what Bonds has done, and this is a testament to how great Bonds was with and without help.

For the Hall of Fame to be able to claim status as preservers of baseball's greatest men and records, Barry Bonds has to get in.

yup agree
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

And to hell with any Cardinal's fan thinking he'll go in with a Card's hat on.
4266781441_567f440cdd_o.gif

No Cardinals fan is stupid enough to think he belongs in the hall.

USA TODAY:

USA Today interview: McGwire details steroid use

Mark McGwire finally admitted Monday what he couldn't tell a Congressional committee nearly five years ago: His home-run hitting exploits, including his stirring 1998 run to the single-season record, were fueled in part by steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

In a tearful 20-minute phone conversation with USA TODAY, McGwire said a desire to stay healthy and "get my body to feel normal" compelled him to use steroids in 1989 and 1990, and from 1993 to 1999.

McGwire said he received steroids and human growth hormone from his younger brother Jay, a bodybuilder with whom McGwire says he has not been in contact with for eight years.

"I wish I had never taken steroids. It was foolish. I can't say enough how sorry I am," McGwire said, breaking down three times during his conversation with USA TODAY. "This is one of the toughest days of my life, so if I get emotional, bear with me. I have had to tell my son, my parents, my friends that I used steroids. It's been very hard. It's been very difficult."

McGwire's admission, made public with a statement sent to the Associated Press, comes five weeks before he will assume his duties as hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals. Before coming clean publicly, he informed his family and made apologetic phone calls to Commissioner Bud Selig, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa and Don Hooton, a Texas man who took up the anti-steroids fight after his son committed suicide after taking steroids.

He also contacted Pat Maris, widow of Roger Maris, whose 61 home runs hit in 1961 was the single-season record until McGwire hit his 62nd homer on Sept. 8, 1998.

As McGwire battled the Chicago Cubs' Sammy Sosa for Maris' record that summer, the first murmurs of drug use sprouted when an Associated Press reporter spotted a bottle of androstenedione in McGwire's locker. Andro, as it's commonly known, is a steroid precursor that was legal at the time, but was banned by the International Olympic Committee.

McGwire had admitted taking it then. On Monday, he told USA TODAY it wasn't just andro: He resumed taking steroids in the second half of the '98 season to keep his body from wearing down.

McGwire often pointed at the Maris family in the box seats after hitting home runs that year, finally finishing with 70 home runs.

"She didn't want to believe it," McGwire said of his conversation Pat Maris. "I told her that I had to be honest. I told her I was so sorry for her, her family and Roger."

McGwire hit 583 home runs in his career, which ended after the 2001 season. But considerable doubt was cast on his accomplishments on March 17, 2005, when he famously told a congressional committee investigating steroids in baseball that "I'm not here to talk about the past."

Since then, he has been almost entirely out of the public eye, while his image took a public beating. He has appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot four times but has fallen far short of the required 75% required for induction.

But Monday's admission may bring relief to the game, if not redemption.

"I think that it's wonderful that he did this," said Hank Aaron, whose 755 home runs were the most in baseball history until Barry Bonds- indicted by a grand jury for allegedly lying about steroid use - broke the record in 2007. "It takes a big man to admit this and I want to commend him for that.

"He has asked for forgiveness. He has my forgiveness. If that's all that stands in the way between him being inducted into Cooperstown we should all forgive him. I'm extremely happy he came out with this. Now baseball goes on to another chapter."

Said Selig: "This statement of contrition, I believe, will make Mark's re-entry into the game much smoother and easier."

McGwire hit a rookie-record 49 home runs for the Oakland Athletics in 1987, but his career was wracked by injuries beginning in 1992. He played in just 74 games in 1993-94, but by 1996, was mostly healthy and hit 52 home runs in 130 games.

"You don't know that you'll ever have to talk about the skeleton in your closet," McGwire said. "I did this for health reasons. I didn't do this because I needed strength. I've always been able to hit home runs."

McGwire says his closest friends "were away from baseball" and that those within the game weren't aware of his steroid use.

"I hid it from everybody," said McGwire.

A 2005 book by former Oakland teammate Jose Canseco depicted him and McGwire shooting each other up with steroids in a clubhouse bathroom stall. Says McGwire: "His book couldn't be further from the truth. Absolutely, it was not true."

"I never suspected McGwire using steroids, and with the benefit of hindsight, I probably should have," says Sandy Alderson, general manager of the Oakland A's during that period. "That wasn't the case.'

"I'm glad he addressed this issue, and have begun to restore his reputation which suffered immeasurably over the last few years. He didn't lie to Congress, and given subsequent events, that distinguishes him from others from that panel.

"I'm glad he's confronted the past, now I look forward to him back in the game."

A stronger drug-testing policy has curtailed steroid use in baseball. McGwire says he regrets his role in making it spiral.

"Performance-enhancing drugs are an illusion," he said. "I wish I had never gotten involved with steroids. It was wrong. It was stupid."

Mark just gained a LOT of respect from me.

As much respect as someone who never used in the first place? Obviously not.

More respect than someone who used and then came clean without ever being dishonest? No.

More respect than someone who used and lied and is still lying/deflecting the topic? YES.
dland24:
gangsta207therevolution:

It's because he's black, and everyone who fails to have that opinion is racist.

That's what you want to hear, right? I mean, I'm just guessing what you're getting at, because you've definitely got an point to prove.

Aside from trying to guess what your angle is, I have to say that you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm an AVID sports fan, and I have never,EVER... NOT ONE TIME... ever talked to someone who said #1 without saying #2:
#1. Barry should not be in the Hall
#2. Barry was headed to the Hall before the big surge in production that suggested steroid use

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

That's what you want to hear, right? I mean, I'm just guessing what you're getting at, because you've definitely got an point to prove.

Aside from trying to guess what your angle is, I have to say that you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm an AVID sports fan, and I have never, EVER... NOT ONE TIME... ever talked to someone who said #1 without saying #2:
#1. Barry should not be in the Hall
#2. Barry was headed to the Hall before the big surge in production that suggested steroid use

Agreed. Bonds was on his way to the Hall of Fame well before that monster season. I sometimes wish that Bonds never did break the record in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom