MARVEL NETFLIX Thread * RIP STAN LEE - Jessica Jones = Final Season

WHICH MARVEL SHOW/SEASON HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE SO FAR?

• Daredevil S1

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • Daredevil S2

Votes: 43 37.4%
  • Jessica Jones

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Luke Cage

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • He Insisted & Bragged That He Was the Iron Fist But Never Really Showed & Whined About It Instead AK

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Yeah the Punisher stuff for me was a bit much. Just a little too much darkness and murder

Punisher was the best part of DD2 to me. I liked how ruthless he was & how dark his storyline was compared to all the other heroes except for JJ

Honestly these kinda shows are only as good as the main villain is, at least thats how i view em

I just can't take the punisher in a modern context, post vietnam when he was invented it makes sense, crime was at an all time high, NY was a hell hole, it doesn't seem implausible that someone might respond to this with violence.

but now violent crime is lower then ever, but we see police shootings more, domestic terrorists arming themselves and shooting people, all this while white people wilingy out electing a potentially insane, avaricious con man to be president. :lol:

I can't look at a white dude going out into the streets heavily armed murdering people indiscriminately with anything other than a side eye. :lol:

I remember Jon Berthal in an interview saying that Punisher was "a very important character for the military and law enforcment"...I nearly threw up in my mouth.

Last edited:
I just can't take the punisher in a modern context, post vietnam when he was invented it makes sense, crime was at an all time high, NY was a hell hole, it doesn't seem implausible that someone might respond to this with violence.

but now violent crime is lower then ever, but we see police shootings more, domestic terrorists arming themselves and shooting people, all this while white people wilingy out electing a potentially insane, avaricious con man to be president.
laugh.gif

I can't look at a white dude going out into the streets heavily armed murdering people indiscriminately with anything other than a side eye.
laugh.gif

I remember Jon Berthal in an interview saying that Punisher was "a very important character for the military and law enforcment"...I nearly threw up in my mouth.
How about a scene where Punisher shoots at Luke Cage, the bullets ricochet off of him and he looks at Punisher and says "Not today, cracka". Then they become bffs and fight The Hand or some ****.

How about a scene where Punisher shoots at Luke Cage, the bullets ricochet off of him and he looks at Punisher and says "Not today, cracka". Then they become bffs and fight The Hand or some ****.

I would prefer Luke Cage beating the **** out of him and decides to reconsider the crime fighting life and goes to see a therapist.

I would like to see everyone wash dumbass fist when he constantly tells everyone he's the iron fist. dd, jj, and lc all take turns until danny just shuts up.

but now violent crime is lower then ever, but we see police shootings more, domestic terrorists arming themselves and shooting people, all this while white people wilingy out electing a potentially insane, avaricious con man to be president. :lol:

I can't look at a white dude going out into the streets heavily armed murdering people indiscriminately with anything other than a side eye. :lol:

:lol: Bruh you do know this is fiction right? The present Marvel NYC isn't the NYC of the real world.

With this train of thought how can you take any superhero fighting crime in a modern context.

You do not need cities to have high crime rates to take any fictional vigiilante character warring on crime.

There's something to be said about escapism, subconscious desires and anxiety, and simply not making everything about something else with the stuff you're talking about.

Ser Loras was a poor choice casting. Are people really saying there won't be a season 2?

Netflix gonna roll with another season plus reviews may be crap but people are watching it.

:lol: Bruh you do know this is fiction right? The present Marvel NYC isn't the NYC of the real world.

With this train of thought how can you take any superhero fighting crime in a modern context.

You do not need cities to have high crime rates to take any fictional vigiilante character warring on crime.

There's something to be said about escapism, subconscious desires and anxiety, and simply not making everything about something else with the stuff you're talking about.

yes I know it's fiction. but fiction is informed by the cultural context it's created in.

Punisher story from the 70's has a different context from a punisher story made now.

That's my experience with the punisher, if YOUR experience with the punisher allows for escapism that's fine, mine doesn't.

I only like Punisher when he's written more like a psychopath like Ennis,

but my capacity to empathize with "boo hoo my families is dead so I'm going to fire reams of bullets into impoverished neighborhoods" Punisher? nah im good. :lol:

EDIT.

It's easy to take other vigilantes. It's the punishers specific combo of whiteness, guns, killing people, low income neighborhood terrorism that bugs me in 2016.

Last edited:

yes I know it's fiction. but fiction is informed by the cultural context it's created in.
Stop right there man :lol: You're thinking too much on it. Totally unnecessary.

but my capacity to empathize with "boo hoo my families is dead so I'm going to fire reams of bullets into impoverished neighborhoods" Punisher? nah im good.
:rofl: There's not a Punished run with this line of thinking but if we just simplifying things to dismiss it, okay.

It's easy to take other vigilantes. It's the punishers specific combo of whiteness, guns, killing people, low income neighborhood terrorism that bugs me in 2016.
This just wreaks of some oh it's suppose to be a bad ting now so in can no longer like it. It being 2016 is irrelevant.

If there's something wrong or not good about Punisher's modus operandi especially given your examples of why you can't take it now things like it was the 70s or the crime rate was really high are not an excuse. It entails some level of hypocrisy.

The entire genre/theme of storywlling the Punisher exists in has standed the test of time.

Not buying this reasoning.

Last edited:
Finally got through with IF

If I had to describe this series in one word, it would def be GOOFY.

Danny was stupid, gullible, emotional, irrational, dude was so easily influenced it was disgusting...the highlight of the series for me was Ward (that's not saying much) but he was aight....Davos was cool too, for the first time I HATED Claire's character, she seemed so forced here.

The last episode had a couple of moments that put the nail in the coffin for me....explain to me how armed security in front of the Rand building are so easily distracted by a bagel cart on fire, also the part on the roof whenever danny gets some licks off Harold and knocks them down only to take off running....joint felt so cartoonish :lol:

Stop right there man :lol: You're thinking too much on it. Totally unnecessary.
:rofl: There's not a Punished run with this line of thinking but if we just simplifying things to dismiss it, okay.
This just wreaks of some oh it's suppose to be a bad ting now so in can no longer like it. It being 2016 is irrelevant.

If there's something wrong or not good about Punisher's modus operandi especially given your examples of why you can't take it now things like it was the 70s or the crime rate was really high are not an excuse. It entails some level of hypocrisy.

The entire genre/theme of storywlling the Punisher exists in has standed the test of time.

Not buying this reasoning.

there is nothing to "buy"

it's the way I process the punisher.

there is nothing to over think, it's my reaction to the modern punisher.

this isn't a normative claim, it's my personal experience with the punisher.

It's not some earth shattering complex concept, that cultural context can change how a person may look at things.

Eddie Murphy's gay jokes in delirious are not the same thing as a comedian in 2017 making those same jokes.
The movie Philadelphia would be absurd if it was released now, but can be consumed enjoyably as a relic from the past.

You can enjoy the punisher and I can not, it's okay man. :lol:

also

It doesn't excuse anything, it just means I can understand it better as a response to increasingly dystopic looking 1970's urban environment. It doesn't mean it's right, I'm just saying I get more.

but when set in the modern time;

the concept of a white person grabbing a huge arsenal of guns to enforce his own wrapped sense of extreme justice I personally can't take without thinking of ******* dylan roof, or that ex army dude who went around stabbing black people recently.

So any punisher series where he isn't written from the perspective that he's a psychopath, is very difficult for me PERSONALLY to suspend my disbelief.

Last edited:
but my capacity to empathize with "boo hoo my families is dead so I'm going to fire reams of bullets into impoverished neighborhoods" Punisher? nah im good. :lol:

This is literally not what The Punisher is about at all anymore than Batman is about "My parents got shot so i'm going to go fight colorful villains and cause destruction to my city". :lol: Nor is Superman about "Whoa is me, i'm an alien, let me fly around dropping buildings on innocent citizens and fighting cosmic monsters to make myself feel better". Even if you don't like the character, boiling any of them down to any of these concepts is just wrong.

Last edited:
This is literally not what The Punisher is about at all anymore than Batman is about "My parents got shot so i'm going to go fight colorful villains and cause destruction to my city". :lol: Nor is Superman about "Whoa is me, i'm an alien, let me fly around dropping buildings on innocent citizens and fighting cosmic monsters to make myself feel better". Even if you don't like the character, boiling any of them down to any of these concepts is just wrong.

I'm being purposefully reductive for comedic effect. relax.

why is dd2 intro like 7 mins into the show?
After the first episode of most series they have their own sort of cold opens before the intro.

Keep that in mind cuz I was trying to skip intros for one of the shows and was missing the opens until a longer one made.e realize I was missing out.

also

It doesn't excuse anything, it just means I can understand it better as a response to increasingly dystopic looking 1970's urban environment. It doesn't mean it's right, I'm just saying I get more.

but when set in the modern time;

the concept of a white person grabbing a huge arsenal of guns to enforce his own wrapped sense of extreme justice I personally can't take without thinking of ******* dylan roof, or that ex army dude who went around stabbing black people recently.

So any punisher series where he isn't written from the perspective that he's a psychopath, is very difficult for me PERSONALLY to suspend my disbelief.
I can not buy this. Seems like pc bull ****.

Basically.

I'm being purposefully reductive for comedic effect. relax.
Oh,you were trying to be funny. I did t pick up on hat at all.

I thought you were serious.

To be fair, Punisher enjoys killing White people the most tho.

I thought he just enjoyed killing criminals no discrimination.
He does.

But if we're being reductive you can keep tally of the race of the criminals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom