Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

I understand where you’re trying to go with this. But kids get here by so many ways. For all we know this kids parents aren’t anywhere around. So they had no influence. There needs to be more scrutiny on gun laws. No one should have an AR outside of military. Not even law enforcement unless special units. You can’t even hunt with an AR.
Exactly my point. Kids parents NEED to be around. Not parent, PARENTS. and DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican , if it was up to me the would be held accountable for their actions up to a certain point in their life. May be then they would think twice of not raising their kid or letting them do whatever they please, because of the severe consequences. Having a child nowadays is like making a decision to buy a car or a pet.

Exactly my point. Kids parents NEED to be around. Not parent, PARENTS. and DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican , if it was up to me the would be held accountable for their actions up to a certain point in their life. May be then they would think twice of not raising their kid or letting them do whatever they please, because of the severe consequences. Having a child nowadays is like making a decision to buy a car or a pet.

But I'm saying what does, "Parents should be held accountable for their kid's actions" look like?

Take this situation for instance. Say if the shooter was 16 and he did this, what would you think should happen to the parents?

That is a slippery as hell slope there man.

But I'm saying what does, "Parents should be held accountable for their kid's actions" look like?

Take this situation for instance. Say if the shooter was 16 and he did this, what would you think should happen to the parents?

That is a slippery as hell slope there man.
Yeah, I do agree its a slippery slope in a sense of putting the parents in prison for their kids actions. I'm not sure I would be ready to go that far and I don't have the actual answers, but I do know parents need some type of accountability. Johnny Doe, just doesn't wake up one day wanting to mass murder. There is always red flags and the first line of defense for these red flags start with their parents.

Honestly, garbage people need to stop having garbage kids. EVERYTHING, starts at home. Parents need to be responsible for their off-spring, point, blank, period. If you can't provide a good foundation and a home with open communication with your child then DON'T HAVE A KID!!!!

And I hear you but this is the same type of stuff people say about poor black folks. Gotta be careful with this type of talk.
So many special humans have come from people that others would call, "Garbage people."

This isn’t really a great take. As someone who used to work in a prison and had daily contact with inmate’s parents, I can tell you there are plenty of ****ty individuals that came from good backgrounds. I won’t argue that having stable, actively involved parents doesn’t make a difference—it absolutely does. But not every criminal comes from a broken home with bad parents. It seems pretty shortsighted to place blame on parents when something like this happens, imo.

Question from someone that doesn’t know anything about American politics.

If nothing can be done federally to ban guns. What is stopping states, specifically blue states from making it more difficult to attain assault rifles? Like how marijuana is legal in some states but not others.

If nothing can be done federally to ban guns. What is stopping states, specifically blue states from making it more difficult to attain assault rifles? Like how marijuana is legal in some states but not others.

States do what they can but when you are surrounded by other states that have more lax gun laws the guns will make their way to you. I know after Columbine Colorado banned certain types of assault rifles and required more stringent background checks. We need the feds to step in otherwise things won't change. Besides, if a state's laws on guns is too restrictive it will probably be overturned by the right wing court system.

Blue states do have pretty restrictive gun laws. Here in Cali assault rifles are banned, full background checks, no gun show loophole, ammo restriction, etc.

Problem is that the laws only cover folks who follow them. People make “ghost” guns by purchasing the parts and assembling themselves, people bring ARs purchased from out of state and stash them away. Hell you can basically 3D print a damb gun.

Funny how the GOP doesn’t want to politicize the shooting but during Abbott’s presser, he’s got Ted Cruz and a bunch of bozos standing behind him, including that fat POS scumbag who scolded Beto like he had authority.

Yeah, I do agree its a slippery slope in a sense of putting the parents in prison for their kids actions. I'm not sure I would be ready to go that far and I don't have the actual answers, but I do know parents need some type of accountability. Johnny Doe, just doesn't wake up one day wanting to mass murder. There is always red flags and the first line of defense for these red flags start with their parents.

You’ve got a ton of awful takes

States do what they can but when you are surrounded by other states that have more lax gun laws the guns will make their way to you. I know after Columbine Colorado banned certain types of assault rifles and required more stringent background checks. We need the feds to step in otherwise things won't change. Besides, if a state's laws on guns is too restrictive it will probably be overturned by the right wing court system.

Blue states do have pretty restrictive gun laws. Here in Cali assault rifles are banned, full background checks, no gun show loophole, ammo restriction, etc.

Problem is that the laws only cover folks who follow them. People make “ghost” guns by purchasing the parts and assembling themselves, people bring ARs purchased from out of state and stash them away. Hell you can basically 3D print a damb gun.
Thanks for answering my question.

I was thinking like Marijuana. If enough states legalize, eventually the tide may turn and it will be legalized federally. It might take a few generations, but maybe there’s a path. But I also know there is some insane people in red states like Texas that have crazy NRA people with the mindset of “You’ll have to pry this gun from cold dead hands”

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question.

I was thinking like Marijuana. If enough states legalize, eventually the tide may turn and it will be legalized federally. It might take a few generations, but maybe there’s a path. But I also know there some insane people in red states like Texas that have crazy NRA people with the mindset of “You’ll have to pry this gun from cold dead hands”

yeah weed doesn't have anywhere near that kind of emotional attachment that guns do. Marijuana laws are mostly due to pearl-clutching busybodies from the 70's and just kept going as part of a "conservative" agenda.

Last edited:
Based on this article written in 2021 there weren’t significant gun laws passed until recently (2018?) and is not a general assault rifle ban.

Gun control advocates call for reform

In Monday's shooting, the suspected gunman used a Ruger AR-556 pistol purchased on March 16, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.

The shooting came just 10 days after a judge blocked a ban on assault rifles that Boulder passed in 2018.

Currently, Colorado is an open carry state with some exceptions. The city of Denver generally bans the open carry of firearms. Colorado also does not impose waiting periods between the purchase of a firearm and the transfer of the firearm to the customer, per Giffords.

Colorado Ceasefire, a major gun reform group in the state, is calling for Congress to pass a ban on assault weapons and a law to require universal background checks.

edshoecator edshoecator , did your fellow teachers have any kind of discussion or a meeting about what happened in Texas? I know it had to be a heavy feeling coming back to school for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom