Memphis Grizzlies vs Los Angeles Clippers: LAC Advances 4-3

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

ZBo is going to expose Griffin. I have a strong feeling about this.
Zbo doesn't play defense either though.  I think Paul is gonna go off on Conley and if Paul isn't contained, the clips are capable of winning the series.  However, I think the front court of the Grizz is too strong so I think Memphis is more likely to win.  Paul is my fav. PG so I guess I'm rooting for both LA teams. 

At no point in this series will Conley be guarding CP3. It will be Allen,Pondexter or OJ at all times unless Hollins is ******ed

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by PMatic

It's taken eight posts to mention Playoff Chris Paul.

And only two mentions since
30t6p3b.gif

He played his %$% off with a dog +++@ team last year and won two games from the Lakers.  He could easily steal games on his own and he will.  Clippers in 6-7.
Derek Fisher, Steve Blake & Kobe on a bad knee won't be guarding him in this series though.

Clippers gonna need more than CP3 to win this series. Mo, Young or Butler really gotta step it up. And Deandre Jordan gotta do more than be a traffic cone out there, people say Blake has no moves hell Deandre is a million times worse

Memphis in 7. Chris Paul alone gets LAC two wins, but Memphis bigs will be too much.

T.Allen can guard CP all he wants it'll just leave more opportunity for Foye, Mo and Young to beast from long range. We can easily use CP as a decoy then he'll just takeover in the 4th. I'm literally chomping at the bit right now for this series to start so much Clipper HATE.
#iluvit
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

memphis in 5 and hopefully someone punches dbag griffin in the face before the series is done.

roll.gif

A+

2nd best series. I wanna say Grizz but I think the Clips will win in 7

Originally Posted by Matt Barkley Heisman Number 8

memphis in 5 and hopefully someone punches dbag griffin in the face before the series is done.
i knew mwp would do something stupid this season and i wished it was against griffin. 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

T.Allen can guard CP all he wants it'll just leave more opportunity for Foye, Mo and Young to beast from long range. We can easily use CP as a decoy then he'll just takeover in the 4th. I'm literally chomping at the bit right now for this series to start so much Clipper HATE.
#iluvit
pimp.gif
Mo is a career 40% from the field in the postseason.

Foye has never played playoff basketball & Nick Young only got 4 MPG in his only postseason appearance 4 years ago.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Check out the Clippers shooting percentages from their perimeter players. Shows a lot of inconsistency.
Please explain.

Pretty much what was posted on another board.

Obviously, Paul makes them better a team simply through his scoring, leadership, and clutch play. They were a lottery last year and this year they are 4 or 5 seed in the West. And it's possible that Paul's production affects the other players' production (e.g., Blake doesn't need to score as much).

However, I'm a little surprised that Paul's presence doesn't seem to have translated into other players being better. We've always hear that pgs like Paul make his teammates, and that certain players are beneficiaries of playing with Paul (we've heard this about Nash, and there seems to be more truth to that).

In fact, look at the fg percentages of the key guys on the team apart from Blake and Jordan (Blake's fg% is up a this year, Jordon's is down, but both are very high). Mo Wil is at 43%. Young is at 39%. Foye is at 39%. Butler is at 41%. Martin is at 44%. Bledsoe is at 40%. And Simmons is at 31%. Those are the guys who get the most minutes. And Billips before he got hurt shot 36%.

OJ is the only Griz with heavy minutes with a fg percentage in the same range. He shoots 41% (Conley is at 44%, and Gilbert is at 43%, but his minutes are pretty low).

This may be why the Hawks let Paul/Blake score 70pts on them and still won the game. Nobody else on the team is that dangerous, and Paul doesn't seem to make them better.

From Chris Herrington (Grizz blog):

Ten Questions and Attempted Answers:

1. The Grizzlies we know all about. [And if you don't, check out my playoff-preview column from this week's paper.] What's the quick take on the Clippers as the playoffs start?:

I expected the Grizzlies to pass the Clippers for the fourth seed because of the differences in the two teams' closing schedules, but I expected it to happen a lot earlier than it did. Though they stumbled in their last two games — both on the road against playoff teams, the last without Chris Paul — to open the door for the Grizzlies, the Clippers were impressive in the season's final month or so. The Clippers were on a 14-3 run before the final two games, including taking both sides of a home/road split against Oklahoma City, winning at home against Memphis and Utah, and winning on the road against Dallas and Denver.

Though they lost veteran shooter/leader Chauncey Billups early on, the Clippers come into the playoffs with one of the most stable and cohesive lineups in the league. The current starting five — Paul-Randy Foye-Caron Butler-Blake Griffin-DeAndre Jordan — was the third most-used lineup in the NBA this season.

And they tend to stick to a nine-man rotation, the starters spelled by a couple of playoff-tested vets (guard Mo Williams and forward Kenyon Martin) and a couple of very untested kids (guard Eric Bledsoe and swingman Nick Young).

Stylistically, the Clippers are known for their highlight-ready lob dunks, but they're actually a slow-paced team (25th in pace) built around Chris Paul's pick-and-roll skills. They're big and athletic up front and use that to excel on the offensive boards (4th in offensive rebound rate). They keep turnovers down (2nd in turnover ratio). And they're good from long-range (5th in attempts per game, 12th in percentage). Defensively (18th overall), they're vulnerable, especially from the outside, where they're 27th in opponent three-point percentage.
http://
2. Does the season series mean anything?:

The Clippers won the season series 2-1, but benefited from the uneven, lockout-shortened schedule. The Clippers won the two games in Los Angeles. The Grizzlies won the one game in Memphis. Unlike in the season series, the Grizzlies will have homecourt advantage in this one.

Beyond that, I wouldn't put too much stock in the outcomes. The first game, a 98-91 loss in L.A., included Chauncey Billups, but not Zach Randolph. The second game, a 101-85 loss in L.A., came at the end of a bad stretch that found the Grizzlies in a funk. They came out and beat the Lakers the very next night and have been rolling since. The third game, a 94-85 home win, by contrast, came in the middle of the Grizzlies hottest stretch of the season. There are some more specific patterns in these games that might be meaningful, and I'll sprinkle those in some of the remaining answers, but the season series overall doesn't seem to suggest anything definitive.

3. How scary is Chris Paul?:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The Clippers offense over the course of the season mirrors their offense over the course of a game: Blake Griffin lead the team in scoring every month this season, except the last one. The final stretch — like the final quarter — is Chris Paul time.

Paul's New Orleans Hornets — a less talented group than these Clippers — lost in six games in their first-round series against the Los Angeles Lakers last season. But Paul won two games for the Hornets pretty much single-handedly. His line on the series? Try 22-7-12 on 55% shooting.

And Paul comes into these playoffs buoyed by a stronger regular season than he had a year ago. In his final season in New Orleans, Paul often seemed to be dealing with nagging knee problems, pacing himself on the way to season averages of 16 points and 10 assists on 46% shooting, with a 23.8 PER. This season, he's looked healthier more consistently (I wouldn't put much stock in the groin injury that held him out of the Clippers' final game), finishing with 20 points and 9 assists on 48% shooting, with a 27.1 PER (second in the league). He'll probably finish third in the MVP race. He should finish second.
He's been a beast, and he'll face a team that sometimes struggles against opposing point guards. According to 82Games.com, the Grizzlies allow opposing point guards to perform slightly above the average PER of 15. That number doesn't appear to be updated for all of April's games, but I doubt it would improve. Look at some of the April stat lines put up by opposing point guards:

Kyrie Irving: 25 points on 10-16 shooting
Jerome Dyson: 24 points on 5-7 shooting, 14-16 from the line
Juan Jose Barea: 28 points, 5 boards, 8 assists on 10-20 shooting
Devin Harris: 20 points, 6 assists

Paul wasn't spectacular in the season series: 19 points, 9 assists, 39% shooting. The Grizzlies would happily take those numbers from Paul again. I doubt they get them.

Mike Conley, as Paul's opposite number, will be the primary defender on Paul. But you'd have to think that Tony Allen — one of the top handful of perimeter defenders in all of basketball — will get this assignment for stretches. I don't remember Allen guarding Paul much in the season series, but I have a clear memory of him switching onto Paul late in one of the games with the Hornets last season and getting a steal. In the season's penultimate game, against Cleveland, Allen switched onto point guard Kyrie Irving — who had been torching the Grizzlies — for the last few minutes of an up-for-grabs game, holding Irving scoreless and registering a steal. Preview of coming attractions?

“We've got to have Tony on him some, because he's our best defender

Originally Posted by ill steelo

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by PMatic

It's taken eight posts to mention Playoff Chris Paul.

And only two mentions since
30t6p3b.gif

He played his %$% off with a dog +++@ team last year and won two games from the Lakers.  He could easily steal games on his own and he will.  Clippers in 6-7.
Derek Fisher, Steve Blake & Kobe on a bad knee won't be guarding him in this series though.

And?  He still did a damn good job during the year against them when Conley/OJ/Allen were guarding him.  No matter who is guarding him, he'll steal his share of games in the series.  CP3 is efficient at not turning over the ball, a Memphis strength.  He did a good job holding onto the ball during the season against em.

Back
Top Bottom