Miami passes Los Angeles as the second most expensive housing market in the US

Are the houses in Miami worth it ?

• Yes

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 82.2%

• Total voters
There’s plenty room in America to build homes, but the average person wants to live in a cosmopolitan city.

I always joke about New Yorkers complaining about space, but no one wants to live in upstate NY.

Plenty rural areas in the Great Plains, Midwest, west, etc and certain areas in the south.

But people want to live closer to the city. The price will always be expensive

There is plenty of room on cosmopolitan cities to build more housing.

The current price is a policy choice, it's not an inevitability.

Obviously it will be smaller than a rural/exurban town

But the growing price and shrinking size of homes in big cities is a policy choice.

I agree. But, we all know that those areas breed competition. So, either people have to pay top dollar or get a side hustle

You know what you do when the competition aka demand is high?

You increase supply.

Many American cities have chosen to restrict it.

A lot of young people don’t want to get their hands dirty or do hard labor

Infrastructure is lacking due to neglect (By us, as well as the government). There aren’t any perks to doing construction or blue collar work these days. Why? Because they aren’t paying.

I’ve seen it myself and I understand. Why do all this hard labor, strenuous work, and still not be able to afford certain luxuries or be able to take care of my family? It’s pointless.

Not many teens, or 20s somethings are lining up to do construction work. And a lot of our elders are getting long in the tooth.

My uncle is 62, he’s been roofing since 18. There’s definitely a staffing shortage in the construction industry but no one seems to be talking about it.

A lot of it is due to working conditions and the incredibly long hours. I can’t even hang at my job anymore let alone a high schooler.

I love construction but the industry needs to change it up a little. No more 18 hour days to start. It’s getting better though. Operator union is getting some schools to give school credits to kids who do operator training and learn to read stakes and grades etc.

Money or benefits isn’t an issue here. It’s just hard to convince someone to work 70-80 hours a week.

You might like this dudes content. He talks a lot about getting young people into the industry.

Just bought a condo in Buckhead for a damn good price. The only killer is the $600 condo fees we have to pay monthly. Other than that, totally satisfied.

Humans are social creatures. I don’t think most young adults wanna move to a rural part of the country. That isn’t unique to this generation.

I agree. But people have to make the decision.

…. Those rural areas can populate and become attractive areas of enough people move there. All I’m saying, sort of like NYC, you’ve got 8+ million people populating the two main islands….

Upstate NYC is fullll of land and opportunity (of course no one wants to move there because it’s not like the city).

But the drawbacks to being in a city is the fact that it’s going to be expensive. We’ve learned time and time and again, in human history when it comes to supply and demand, especially in terms of exclusivity, you have to pay extra.

I agree. But people have to make the decision.

…. Those rural areas can populate and become attractive areas of enough people move there. All I’m saying, sort of like NYC, you’ve got 8+ million people populating the two main islands….

Upstate NYC is fullll of land and opportunity (of course no one wants to move there because it’s not like the city).

But the drawbacks to being in a city is the fact that it’s going to be expensive. We’ve learned time and time and again, in human history when it comes to supply and demand, especially in terms of exclusivity, you have to pay extra.

you are just wrong.
You are trying to make ti seem like it's always been this way when that just isn't true.

the market now is totally dysfunctional in a way that it wasn't previously.

also when crime was high in the 70's and 80 cities were incredibly cheap.
so acting like high prices is just the way the world is like it's gravity is just wrong.

Housing is cheap in the middle of nowhere/less desirable parts for a reason :lol: …That will never be the answer, and in fact it has been tried before but ppl just moved back in/closer to the city anyway like what’s been happening the past couple decades

All those expensive places listed either have the land or air space to build more affordable housing in the city limits if that was a real focus…We shouldn’t have to tell a 28 year old to move to West Virginia to buy a house

1664300576860.png

Probably that liberal Houston zoning :lol:

Seriously though, the county judge is very progressive. Hope things stay on track and keep moving in the right direction.

It doesn't hurt people are willing to build out and live a little outside the city. Katy and Fort Bend County have been booming.

Probably that liberal Houston zoning :lol:

That's exactly what it is, a pitty about the parking minimums tho.

It doesn't hurt people are willing to build out and live a little outside the city. Katy and Fort Bend County have been booming.

There's a limit to sprawl, Toronto for example has reached the limit

basically every bedroom town within a reasonable commuting distance hasn't built enough housing.

Now people are trying to talk themselves into 2 hour commutes. :sick:

Yea in Houston you can damn near build anything wherever you want :lol: …That is good but it’s also lots dumb/random stuff that takes up space n the infrastructure to support whatever is built is lacking

Downtown Houston is like 65% parking for some reason, it’s pretty dead there

My cousin lives in Pearland (suburb of Houston). She bought her two story home for like 170k in 2010.

She just got a house in San Antonio for over 200k.

But yeah, Texas has so much land and space. You can get a large estate for cheap, or build.

There’s plenty room in America to build homes, but the average person wants to live in a cosmopolitan city.

I always joke about New Yorkers complaining about space, but no one wants to live in upstate NY.

Plenty rural areas in the Great Plains, Midwest, west, etc and certain areas in the south.

But people want to live closer to the city. The price will always be expensive
Trust me. People wouldn't mind living in those places if we had high speed rail in this country. You go to the city and enjoy the night life or work and be back home in an hour or less. Don't have to drive or take an expensive uber.

We need bullet trains. The supposed greatest country in the world and we still don't have bullet trains in 2022 because lobbyists for the airline industry won't let it happen.

Japan has had bullet trains for decades and not one fatality.

Trust me. People wouldn't mind living in those places if we had high speed rail in this country. You go to the city and enjoy the night life or work and be back home in an hour or less. Don't have to drive or take an expensive uber.

We need bullet trains. The supposed greatest country in the world and we still don't have bullet trains in 2022 because lobbyists for the airline industry won't let it happen.

Japan has had bullet trains for decades and not one fatality.

Tell me about it. I feel like we've been talking about a Bullet train that would go between San Francisco and LA for the last 20 years. Now it probably won't even be finished until the 2030s. :smh:

The actual city of Houston is twice the size of NYC with 1/4th of the population so that helps keeps the average price low. But even with that you're still paying on average 600K - 800K for a 4br/3ba in nicer and sought after neighborhoods (i.e. Rice Village, River Oaks, Meyerland, Memorial, etc.). It's a good deal if you're coming from HCOL cities like NYC, Miami, DC, LA, etc., but most natives to Houston can't afford that so they move out to the suburbs/exurbs like Sugarland, Richmond, Pearland or on the fringe of the city limits.

Never cared for the suburbs. Visit family in Cali, Texas, Nevada, Florida and Virginia all boring to me and everything is spread out and needed to rent a car to get anywhere. Staying in nyc till i die on my jada **** I’m right here

The actual city of Houston is twice the size of NYC with 1/4th of the population so that helps keeps the average price low. But even with that you're still paying on average 600K - 800K for a 4br/3ba in nicer and sought after neighborhoods (i.e. Rice Village, River Oaks, Meyerland, Memorial, etc.). It's a good deal if you're coming from HCOL cities like NYC, Miami, DC, LA, etc., but most natives to Houston can't afford that so they move out to the suburbs/exurbs like Sugarland, Richmond, Pearland or on the fringe of the city limits.

This is a fact but isnt most of those areas like Memorial, Rice Village, River Oaks old money (Oil & Gas folks from way back etc) so its been established and been there. My guy from another city just bought a crib in new Richmond and loves it and works remote so he's chilling.

Houston suburbs different tho. They’re like little cities. You really don’t have to leave them anything if you don’t want to. I went to Star Cinema yesterday to see The Woman King. It’s literally a bar…that has movie screens. BUTTT traffic makes the whole living in burbs and working in the city thee dumbest idea.

A lot of DC suburbs are the same way.

Unless you need to go into the city to work, you really don't need to leave that area forreal.

Yea Most suburbs are their own lil towns/cities now…Living in ATL was the best n worst for this cuz you can make moves all around the area without ever touching the city BUT traffic was brutal cuz of no public transportation and everybody crossing all over the 100 highways they got there :smh:

A 15 mile commute from the burbs to work inside the city at least an hour from 7am-7pm :sick:

Back
Top Bottom