Mike Vick Sentenced to 23 Months in Prison

Vick put himself in the situation. Each and every fight No one said you have to keep this up. He continued to do it and he has to face his own stupidity. Andfor those who are saying its a harsh sentence for some dogs??.. People get 20 plus years to life for killing a police dog. Thats one dog, a cop yes. but stilla dog am i right?

Vick excuted and totured multiple dogs. So his actions with the dogs and the gambling on top of the lying makes his sentence fit just fine especially becausehe will most likely not even do the full sentence anyway.

He better be able to get out for good behavior or on parole or some !%#%. All he did was fight dogs I guess it was the body count or something. I hate dogs soI guess im biased.

"All he did was fight dogs". If you don't agree with the law, that is one thing. But for right now, IT IS THE LAW and Vick didn't realize theconsequences. Cruel behavior towards animals always seems to translate to cruel behavior to other things as well to me. Sorry Falcons fans, you should be mostupset at Vick for being that selfish to ruin your franchise

It's bad..but it's not that bad.....to me life is the same, no matter if it's a dog or a deer...it's messed up. A team will definitely take aflyer on him when he gets out tho. If the 49ers are still sucking it up (which unfortunately is plausible if Nolan stays as our coach) we should give him ashot.

Originally Posted by youngjordan23

Bullish completely. If he wasn't a celeb he would've done 6 months max

I actually agree the government would have done nothing to a nobody but they had to set an "example" since Vick is a celeb. Also the governmentneeds to get real and focus on bigger issues than Bonds and his trial and this Vick trial to me it's a big waste of money.

they said the judge told vick that he was "clinically depressed." Um, who wouldn't be if they went from world famous athlete to an imprisonedfelon while losing millions of dollars and millions of fans?
laugh.gif
thisjudge is a joke and V7 got screwed
indifferent.gif
aside from that, they saidthe judge is a strong advocate for animals and %#!#. they should've allowed an unbiased judge to rule over this case
smh.gif
the person at the top of this page is right, if he weren't a world famous athlete,he would've been doing something around a 6 month bid. I hope Vick comes home early.

wah wah wah, Nobody made Vick fight dogs, guess what, no ammount of complaining and moaning or trying to water down what he did as "not a bad thing i seeit in my hood all the time" is going to bring him back, Mike Vick is done, and nobody is going to save him or his life. Should have thought about what hedid before he did, he he had a "hollier than thou" attitude that nobody would get him for it and guess what? they did, and now he has losteverything. Is it sad? yes, its sad that we give money and put people who dont deserve to be in the spotlight this kind of fame when they are nothing more thenthugs. This man is nothing special, if he couldnt run fast or throw a football, what can he do? that is ALL he can in life. He isnt better then me, or you oranyone else who works hard in life. People are upset that a man who was given everything in the world pissed it away....there are sadder things in the world.

Mike Vick is an idiot. I mean he didnt hire a %*@%@%$ lawyer until days after he was indicted. I mean the second your ****** cousin throws your name out whyarent you seeking out legal advice? He could have never spent a day in jail even after everything if he handled this correctly

Originally Posted by Meb07

Mike Vick is an idiot. I mean he didnt hire a %*@%@%$ lawyer until days after he was indicted. I mean the second your ****** cousin throws your name out why arent you seeking out legal advice? He could have never spent a day in jail even after everything if he handled this correctly
I agree with you. It seemed to me Vick never took this seriously, I mean the lie detector thing, failing a drug test, etc.
He thought he would get away with a slap on the wrist and that's not the case

Well duh. But since they lie, I may as well too then right? And since the feds murder people, it's okay for me to do the same, right?

It's not just the lying part, its the fact that they are sending someone to jail for the exact same thing that they do, it makes no sense tome at all.

Some people act like he killed a member in their family the way they reacting.

Exactly, I see too much celebrating over this.

I was hoping for 3 years. Whatever, I got my birthday present today with the 23months.
Like this guy that posted this statement above, SMH. Most dudes would say they wanna hook up with a girl for their birthday or go out andparty, but not this guy. He says Vicky getting 23 months or even better getting 3 years would have made been his birthday gift. Now just suppose the judgethat sentenced Vick today had the same mindset that this guy had, and you dudes really think Vick got a "fair" trial??

Laws more or less doesn't equate to morality.

Some people get those two things twisted. Just because it's the law doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

......Now that's the realest post in this thread thus far, too bad most of you dudes can't see the truth for what it is.

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

^im pretty sure he's banned from the league until the 2010 season

No definite time period for his return to the NFL. The suspension is indefinite.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

so it really shouldn't be a big deal that he's going away then too. or does that only go in one direction?

you all need to get real with that white/black bs too. dude became a target when he made himself so. it wasn't some conspiracy or plan to bring him down on some cia or kkk tip. keep sticking to that crutch and things will never progress.

Dude, do you know how many times the FEDS have lied to the general public.

What does the FEDS lying have anything to do with anything? Vick broke the law.
Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

All this for some damn animals. Dogs are worthless.

It doesnt matter if you like dogs or not, its NOT just about DOGS. Its him running and funding an illegal operation that crossed state lines and made alotof money. Thats against the law.

Originally Posted by rolla808

I actually agree the government would have done nothing to a nobody but they had to set an "example" since Vick is a celeb. Also the government needs to get real and focus on bigger issues than Bonds and his trial and this Vick trial to me it's a big waste of money.

Do you even know why the feds got involved?

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Well duh. But since they lie, I may as well too then right? And since the feds murder people, it's okay for me to do the same, right?
It's not just the lying part, its the fact that they are sending someone to jail for the exact same thing that they do, it makes no sense to me at all.
Laws more or less doesn't equate to morality.

Some people get those two things twisted. Just because it's the law doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

......Now that's the realest post in this thread thus far, too bad most of you dudes can't see the truth for what it is.

roll.gif
Come on now. Once again, should the feds send murders to jail whenthey do the same? Your answer better be no.
The realest post? Please. Like we haven't heard that 10000000000000000000 times before. Morality doesn'tequate to law. Law doesn't equate to morality.

Just to clarify first, I have no ill will towards Mike. He's one of the most exciting athletes in the world. Watching the man take over games at times wasincredible. That said...

Am I surprised Mike got more than the suggested sentence? Sure, I thought he'd get a year, maybe 15 months. Tops.
Do I think it's a little more than necessary? Maybe, but who am I to say?

Do I have sympathy for him or feel bad for the situation he's in? Not in the least.

Michael Vick put himself in this situation. All you people talking about "His career is over because of some dogs" are absolutely 100% wrong. Youcannot justify that sentence with ANY amount of logic. There's none behind it. Michael Vick's career is over because of his own stupidity. Michael Vickfunded the dog fighting and allowed fights to be held on property he owned. Michael Vick, apparently, executed some of the dogs. Michael Vick couldn't getthe story on the dog fighting situation straight when he accepted his plea deal. Michael Vick failed a drug test while awaiting his own sentencing, andcouldn't get his story straight about how long before the test he had smoked. Michael Vick made the decision to apparently not cooperate to the fullestextent with the Feds, even after he knew the circumstances and accepted his plea.

Mike made a bad situation worse by piling his mistakes one on top of the other. Sure, dogs are just dogs. And People > Dogs, but what murderer has served a23 month sentence and been set free?
nerd.gif

And to the people talking about our country's founder being dog/chicken fighters...They may have been. But them taking part in it makes it right?
indifferent.gif
They also owned slaves...So, if people still owned slaves today, would the "Well,our nation's founders owned slaves, so why do we look down upon something they were heavily involved in!" argument still be in play? Didn't thinkso...

[jay z]when you used to filet mignon its kind of hard to go back to hamburger helper[/jay z]

Michael Vick put himself in this situation. All you people talking about "His career is over because of some dogs" are absolutely 100% wrong. You cannot justify that sentence with ANY amount of logic. There's none behind it. Michael Vick's career is over because of his own stupidity. Michael Vick funded the dog fighting and allowed fights to be held on property he owned. Michael Vick, apparently, executed some of the dogs. Michael Vick couldn't get the story on the dog fighting situation straight when he accepted his plea deal. Michael Vick failed a drug test while awaiting his own sentencing, and couldn't get his story straight about how long before the test he had smoked. Michael Vick made the decision to apparently not cooperate to the fullest extent with the Feds, even after he knew the circumstances and accepted his plea.

co-sign x100000.....well put Nowitness

Sentence in dog fighting related case tops 100 years

Wednesday, Nov 14, 2007 - 06:09 AM

By Matt Elofson

The federal prison sentence NFL star Michael Vick could face for dog-fighting charges pales in comparison to the sentence handed down Tuesday to a Cottonwood man for his recent convictions on dog fighting-related charges.

Circuit Court Judge Ed Jackson sentenced 42-year-old Johnny Ray Lewis to 102 years in prison - six years in prison for each of the 17 felony counts a jury found him guilty of in September. Jurors convicted Lewis of 17 felony counts of possessing dogs with the intent to train them for fighting. He faced a possible sentence of a year and a day up to 10 years per charge.

Jackson said he sentenced Lewis to what he called a "mid-range" sentence.
"It is a type of case that is sensitive to the public," Jackson said as he announced the sentence.

Houston County Assistant District Attorney Butch Binford said his office received e-mails from across the country after Lewis was convicted on Sept. 27, from people with interest in the case.

"They were very concerned or upset, and they just thought it was extremely cruel the way these animals were treated," Binford said. "They hoped Judge Jackson would sentence the defendant to a lengthy prison term. People just have very strong emotions about animals who are treated inhumanly, that strikes a nerve with a lot of people."

Dog fighting hit headlines recently after Vick, a former star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons, pleaded guilty to his involvement in a dog fighting conspiracy. He could face up to five years in a federal prison when he is sentenced on Dec. 10.

Thirty eight pit bull dogs lost their lives as a result of separate investigations into activity at Lewis' Cottonwood home. He was arrested in August 2005 after police seized 17 of his pit bull dogs along with more than a dozen syringes, bottles of medication, thick heavy chains and a dog fighting video.

Binford argued during the trial that Lewis had a previous history with dog fighting, including previous charges in 1995. Sheriff's deputies raided his home then and seized 21 pit bull dogs. Those charges were dismissed by a judge after an issue came up with the warrant in the case. Those dogs were later euthanized.

Binford said Lewis would likely serve at least 34 years of his sentence, since ordinarily people serve at least a third of their prison terms before being released.

Jackson ordered Lewis to pay $34,000 in fines. Dothan Police Chief John Powell told the judge at the hearing Lewis owed the City of Dothan more than $16,500 in restitution for the cost to euthanize his dogs at the city's animal shelter. Jackson did not make a ruling on restitution.

Derek Yarbrough, Lewis' lawyer, told the court his client planned to the appeal the case. Jackson set an appeal bond of $85,000.

Binford argued against Lewis' release from custody on an appeal bond.

"I think he said on the witness stand he still has dogs at his residence," Binford said.

But stiff sentences for dogfighting are nothing new in the South. In November 2004, South Carolina dogfighter David Tant received a then-record, 30-year jail term for dogfighting and related crimes. Tant was notorious as a long-time, high-profile breeder and fighter of pit bulls, and his demise delivered a startling blow to the underground dogfighting industry in the entire country.
Likewise-in 2005-Walter T. Ware was sentenced to 40 years in jail for dogfighting and possession of drugs to enhance the dogs' fighting ability. Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Wright said Ware was the first to be prosecuted under Alabama's stronger dogfighting law and warned that he would not be the last, according to the Tuscaloosa News.
Three men who pleaded no contest to dogfighting-related charges were each sentenced to four years in prison on August 21.

Louis Snowden-Davis, 37, Simon J. Denby, 34, and Donyell C. Moschetti, 35, were all also ordered to pay more than $100,000 each in restitution to Montgomery County to cover the costs of housing them at the county's Animal Resource Center.

Common Pleas Judge Gregory Singer cited the "cruelty and insidiousness of the blood sport of dogfighting" before he handed down the sentences.

These defendants were identified by Dayton Police officers on July 23, 2006, after receiving a report of an injured pit bull terrier in the area of Denby's home, 4901 Hoover Ave., according to prosecutors.

Authorities seized 31 pit bulls at Denby's home one day later. Investigators raided Moschetti's home, 177 Anna St., and Snowden-Davis' home, 332 E. Lincoln St., on Sept. 1, where they found four more dogs.
Inside the Manchester Courthouse, it was day two of the Stacey Miller trial. Miller is facing 18 charges - the most serious of which is dog-fighting.

The prosecution team spent the day calling witnesses, to testify that evidence collected at Stacey Miller's home -- including a video tape containing dog fighting, dog fighting manuals, veterinary medical supplies and treadmills (similar to these altered for use by dogs) -- indicate that Miller engaged in dog fighting.

Animal control officers that have been investigating the case say this is one of the biggest breaks they have had in the world of professional level dog fighting in the Metro Richmond area.

Miller and his attorney have declined request for interviews while the trial is underway, but contend Miller is not a dog fighter and was in fact running a legitimate dog supply company and his 16 pit-bulls were used for dog shows.

Legitimate dog owner and breeder or dog fighting insider -- that's the decision the jury will have to make. They are expected to begin deliberation Jan 11, 2007.
http://
http://Case Updates
[table][tr][td]Concluding what a prosecutor called Richmond's biggest dogfighting case, Stacey A. Miller was sentenced to four years in prison, fined $20,000 and barred from owning any companion animals.
[/td] [/tr][/table]http://
[table][tr][td]
Phillip Michael Maffei, 45, of Walterboro faces four felony charges related to animal fighting and ill treatment of animals at his home at 56 Benton Farm Road, from which state and local law enforcement removed last year at least 10 pit bulls and dog fighting training paraphernalia, according to the S.C. Attorney General's Office, the agency prosecuting the case.

Prosecutors said they believe Maffei has been staging dog fights and training the animals on his property since 2004, when he moved to South Carolina from Connecticut. They said they don't know how widespread the operation reached but doubt it attracted high-dollar fighters.

Maffei's son and neighbors turned him in, said Mark Plowden, spokesman for the S.C. Attorney General's Office.

Jury selection for Maffei's trial is set for Monday afternoon at the Colleton County Courthouse in Walterboro, and the trial is expected to begin Tuesday. Prosecutors said they expect the case to take about four days.

If convicted, Maffei could receive up to five years in prison on each of the four charges.
[h4]Case Updates[/h4] [table][tr][td]A Walterboro man charged in a dog-fighting operation was sentenced to three years in prison and fined $20,000 after a jury found him guilty Thursday afternoon.[/td] [/tr][/table]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

A lot of people seemes surprised...Vick was looking at 5 years, and he got away with 23 months. He got himself good.

Plus with good behavior and compliance he can get off in 15 months.

But its def sad to see how fast his career came to an end. I hope he ends up back in the NFL someday.

is there ANY possible loophole or anything that would allow him to play the 09-10 season? didn't Testaverde not practice with the Patriots in the summer before he signed with them in 05?
Bro, there is NO WAY...Michael Vick will have missed out on 3 years of NFL games, practices and workouts. He won't be able to pick up afootball or train extensively while he's in prison. He'll have no access to ANYTHING relating to the NFL. I don't see any way he steps out his jailcell and onto a football field that season. I don't think any team is going to want the distraction that will come with signing Michael Vick mid-season.

2 years is quick. But the bashing on Vick got to stop. He won't be the same when he get out. Probably won't play again.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I don't agree with the dog-fighting. And I'm not saying Mike deserves a free pass.

But I honestly hope that the lot of you who are being super-critical, live perfect lives. Never stole ANYTHING ever in your lives (downloading music/moviesillegally included). Always helped stray dogs. Never disrespected your parents or elders. Own your guns LEGALLY. Never broke ANY law for that matter. Etc.

Throwing stones in glass houses the lot of you.

But I honestly hope that the lot of you who are being super-critical,
i can be. i've never murdered dogs. i've never contributed to a living thing's pain in that way. i've never gotten myself into hotwater with the feds for something i had a clear choice in. you're talking about illegal downloading, stealing, disrespecting one's parents and whateveras if it puts people like me in check for not being able to talk down about inhumane scumbags. nah dude, you're wrong on this one.

Back
Top Bottom