** MLB Feet - 2008 Baseball Cleats (Pics) **

Originally Posted by Fear the Mongolian Chop

Originally Posted by Pipes20

^ What are you talking about? Have you even worn a pair of RINGORS before? I had a pair quite a few years back and really liked them. They don't have the style and 'sexiness' that Nike and some other companies might have, but they're good. Plus, who knows, he might even be getting an endorsement deal from them.

When I was in college alot of other schools were using Ringor cause Ringor was offering incredible deals to schools to wear their stuff. Well they were absolutely hideous and alot of guys I knew on other teams who wore them said they were the worst cleat theyd ever worn. I heard they were uncomfortable, not durable. A few pitchers said they started ripping after just a couple uses.

Wow, either I got lucky or they got really bad pairs.
ohwell.gif
Good to know though. What schools used Ringor? I saw a team last year and I forgot who it was. I see some teams being sponsored by New Balance as well.
I dont remember which schools wore them cause it was like 6-7 years ago. I havent really seen any teams wearing Ringor in a while. My brotherplays in college now and I notice almost every school they play, including them, either wears Mizuno or New Balance. New Balance seems to be the company thatis doing the most marketing to college programs these days.

Brendan Ryan of the Cards seems to have some Diamond Trainers with some cleat plates.
capt.e12fd0cff7ac4af9938c69d06884e7de.orioles_cardinals_spring_baseball_fljr107.jpg

And Thomas with his ugly whatever they are converted basketball shoes. Is it the shox up?
r2430278969.jpg

^ Nice find with that Brendan Ryan picture. Jim Edmonds had a pair of gamers just like those last year... I'm guessing the Cards' equipment manager isdoing it for them.

And yeah... Shox Ups. Atrocious.

^ What are you talking about? Have you even worn a pair of RINGORS before? I had a pair quite a few years back and really liked them. They don't have the style and 'sexiness' that Nike and some other companies might have, but they're good. Plus, who knows, he might even be getting an endorsement deal from them.

When I was in college alot of other schools were using Ringor cause Ringor was offering incredible deals to schools to wear their stuff. Well they were absolutely hideous and alot of guys I knew on other teams who wore them said they were the worst cleat theyd ever worn. I heard they were uncomfortable, not durable. A few pitchers said they started ripping after just a couple uses.

ohwell.gif
Good to know though. What schools used Ringor? I saw a team last year and I forgot who it was. I see some teams being sponsored by New Balance as well.

As fas as Luis Rivas goes, I don't see a problem with it. I think it looks a little bit sloppy, but it's more so about the comfort. Some (not all) of these guys got basketball shoes converted into cleats b/c they like the feel of that specific shoe. I can't be mad at that. It doesn't always look great, but if I had to grind out a MLB season, I would sacrifice style for comfort.

MPowers16

I'm lovin Rajai's style! My personal favorite is Anthony Reyes. Illest socks in the game!

t1_reyes.jpg

Remember youngin's, they're called stirrups. They are worn over the socks and loop under the foot. Low side in front, high side in the back. TheCards have great striped stirrups as well as the BoSox. They are making a comeback everywhere icluding Oregon State, who went back to a traditional turn-of-the-century look thisseason.

Originally Posted by swingmanike

Brendan Ryan of the Cards seems to have some Diamond Trainers with some cleat plates.
capt.e12fd0cff7ac4af9938c69d06884e7de.orioles_cardinals_spring_baseball_fljr107.jpg

And Thomas with his ugly whatever they are converted basketball shoes. Is it the shox up?
r2430278969.jpg

Not as bad as these Frankenstein clodhoppers:
thomasshoes.jpg

Notice the added spat-strap/gaiter over the laces!

Originally Posted by MPowers16

ohwell.gif

As fas as Luis Rivas goes, I don't see a problem with it. I think it looks a little bit sloppy, but it's more so about the comfort. Some (not all) of these guys got basketball shoes converted into cleats b/c they like the feel of that specific shoe. I can't be mad at that. It doesn't always look great, but if I had to grind out a MLB season, I would sacrifice style for comfort.

MPowers16

I'm lovin Rajai's style! My personal favorite is Anthony Reyes. Illest socks in the game!

t1_reyes.jpg

Remember youngin's, they're called stirrups. They are worn over the socks and loop under the foot. Low side in front, high side in the back. The Cards have great striped stirrups as well as the BoSox. They are making a comeback everywhere icluding Oregon State, who went back to a traditional turn-of-the-century look this season.

Calm down. I thought he was wearing the actual whole sock. OBVIOUSLY, I was wrong.

J-Roll's shades are the Skylon EXP and his glove is the Strobe, which uses Reactor Technology. Unfortunately, Nike discontinued this way of making glovesso just gotta enjoy the ones he wears.

ohwell.gif

MPowers16

t1_reyes.jpg

Remember youngin's, they're called stirrups. They are worn over the socks and loop under the foot. Low side in front, high side in the back. The Cards have great striped stirrups as well as the BoSox. They are making a comeback everywhere icluding Oregon State, who went back to a traditional turn-of-the-century look this season.

Calm down. I thought he was wearing the actual whole sock. OBVIOUSLY, I was wrong.

I apologize for seeming like I was preaching down to the crowd. I really like the unique look of this style stirrup. The old school pulled-up-high or thefake sock stirrup, you can keep. The look that Reyes is pulling off is the way to go.

Old School
buckner1016.jpg

Fake
g_steinbach_bi.jpg

Not even Jesus, in a pair of the dopest PE's made for him by his dad, could make either of those looks attractive!

A bit harsh, maybe, but y'all get the point!

Another Card wearing turfs w/ cleats:
aba351f9ed2179aa56792fb8d825ef802f93b6c.jpg

Yadier Molina, 5-Tool Turf

He was doing this in the second half of '07 too, wearing last year's 5-Tool turf model. Here's a good shot that shows the bottom of them:
6c935410e5ed77215422269bd9107121ef4aa26.jpg

^ I'm not too familiar with the design of cleats, but are those turf shoes with cleats inserted into the soles?

^ Yes... and that's part of what makes the whole turf shoe/cleat combo thing so interesting. Nike currently doesn't offer an outsole/midsole thatcombines a true sneaker feel with a cleat pattern, so it's typically an equipment manager or some outside company that hashes them together. The cleatoutsoles are usually cut up into a forefoot piece and a heel piece, parts of the turf shoe outsole and midsole are cut out, and the cleat parts are glued in.

The pic above from '07 has a 5-Tool upper, Nike's classic football turf midsole and outsole, and '03 Air Clipper cleat plates.

ahhh... very interesting... so, the cushion and 'comfort' of a foam/rubber outsole, with the traction of cleats... thanks...

Originally Posted by markyd33psu

^ Yes... and that's part of what makes the whole turf shoe/cleat combo thing so interesting. Nike currently doesn't offer an outsole/midsole that combines a true sneaker feel with a cleat pattern, so it's typically an equipment manager or some outside company that hashes them together. The cleat outsoles are usually cut up into a forefoot piece and a heel piece, parts of the turf shoe outsole and midsole are cut out, and the cleat parts are glued in.

The pic above from '07 has a 5-Tool upper, Nike's classic football turf midsole and outsole, and '03 Air Clipper cleat plates. This has been a common occurrence within the past six years or so.

Much like second and third party companies making money off of the market that Apple's IPOD created: Nike Plus, Mom and Pop repair people, IHome, etc., companies have realized a need and begun offering services to cleat sneakers.

Companies like Custom Cleat have become the industry standard for just this thing.

^ I don't know if I'd call them the "industry standard". They've made some shoes for major leaguers in the past, but I'm fairlycertain that MLB equipment managers can handle a lot of that too. It's really not that much of a sophisticated procedure.

(And if that company was any kind of big deal, they would've updated their website at some point within the past year.)

It's a very, very small market. Plus, if cleated footwear design keeps going in the direction its heading (lighter, more comfortable cleats with less andless cleat pressure), I don't think there will be much of a need for that kind of company. Well, unless of course somebody feels like shelling out $100 toput cleats on their Jordans just so they can look cool in their softball league.

^ Yes... and that's part of what makes the whole turf shoe/cleat combo thing so interesting. Nike currently doesn't offer an outsole/midsole that combines a true sneaker feel with a cleat pattern, so it's typically an equipment manager or some outside company that hashes them together. The cleat outsoles are usually cut up into a forefoot piece and a heel piece, parts of the turf shoe outsole and midsole are cut out, and the cleat parts are glued in.

The pic above from '07 has a 5-Tool upper, Nike's classic football turf midsole and outsole, and '03 Air Clipper cleat plates.

The great, great grandfather of the becleated turfs that Mr. Molina is wearing:
#68 Ashworth is wearing Nike Air Zoom Turfs circa 1998.
st.jpg

The Seahawks O-Lineman and their Puke Green Accessorized Turfs:
oline.jpg

^ I don't know if I'd call them the "industry standard". They've made some shoes for major leaguers in the past, but I'm fairly certain that MLB equipment managers can handle a lot of that too. It's really not that much of a sophisticated procedure.

(And if that company was any kind of big deal, they would've updated their website at some point within the past year.)

It's a very, very small market. Plus, if cleated footwear design keeps going in the direction its heading (lighter, more comfortable cleats with less and less cleat pressure), I don't think there will be much of a need for that kind of company. Well, unless of course somebody feels like shelling out $100 to put cleats on their Jordans just so they can look cool in their softball league.

I'm sure any one of us has considered playing the role of that "somebody" at one point or another. I know I did as soon as I saw the pic ofDustin Ackles and his cleated XI's.

I apologize to all of the baseball fans for the digression.

Seeing how y'all love the Clippers from the Mid 90's as well as PE's check out this pair that a certain player from the Birmingham Black Baronswore for a bit:

These as well with the even older clipper midsole:

Warren Sapp's PE IX Football Turfs with the midsole discussed before:

^ I don't know if I'd call them the "industry standard". They've made some shoes for major leaguers in the past, but I'm fairly certain that MLB equipment managers can handle a lot of that too. It's really not that much of a sophisticated procedure.

It's a very, very small market. Plus, if cleated footwear design keeps going in the direction its heading (lighter, more comfortable cleats with less and less cleat pressure), I don't think there will be much of a need for that kind of company. Well, unless of course somebody feels like shelling out $100 to put cleats on their Jordans just so they can look cool in their softball league.

I think its a bigger market than you think. First off, the trager audiences is not guys who want to "look cool in their softball league". I amvery familiar with CustcomCleats. Im from New York City and theyre a company based out of Long Island. I played in college against the guy who owns thecompany. Because theyre a local company here, there is probably more exposure in the baseball community here than other places but I see their product alot. Icoach at the high school level and I have seen more than a couple high school players wearing them. I also play in a very competitive mens BASEBALL league.Alot of former and current college players are in the league and the customcleats thing is a big trend among players. I probably saw about a dozen differentmodels last year in our league. I know a bunch of guys on my team, including myself, have looked into the idea. I havent done it because I havent found a pairthat I feel confident would look great as a spike and I question the quality of the product.

I'm sure any one of us has considered playing the role of that "somebody" at one point or another. I know I did as soon as I saw the pic of Dustin Ackles and his cleated XI's.

agreed. Ackleys Space Jams last year were fire

I think its a bigger market than you think. First off, the trager audiences is not guys who want to "look cool in their softball league". I am very familiar with CustcomCleats. Im from New York City and theyre a company based out of Long Island. I played in college against the guy who owns the company. Because theyre a local company here, there is probably more exposure in the baseball community here than other places but I see their product alot. I coach at the high school level and I have seen more than a couple high school players wearing them. I also play in a very competitive mens BASEBALL league. Alot of former and current college players are in the league and the customcleats thing is a big trend among players. I probably saw about a dozen different models last year in our league. I know a bunch of guys on my team, including myself, have looked into the idea. I havent done it because I havent found a pair that I feel confident would look great as a spike and I question the quality of the product.

I wasn't saying that that is their 'target audience'. Their target market is clearly people who are looking for cleats with sneaker-likecomfort.

I only mentioned that because I think the development of lighter, more comfortable baseball cleats is going to make that sort of company obsolete in a fewyears. Five years ago, I would've considered getting a pair of those based on how much cleat pressure I used to feel without any foam in the forefoot ofmost cleats. But based on some of the models available right now, I don't see the point from a functionality perspective. Why would I spend an extra $90when I could wear a pair of Huarache's that are basically just about as comfortable as sneakers? So that's all I was saying... a few years down theroad, the only people who are going to consider it are those who just want style.
As far as the size of the market... baseball's still largely a sport of tradition. I think there's a lot more traditionalists out there whojust want a durable, conservative pair of actual cleats than there are guys looking to wear sneakers on the field. Based on what you said, I underestimatedits popularity in the NY region, but I play in competitive mens' leagues in PA, played some college ball, and did some press coverage for high schoolbaseball, I've never seen any customs. I still find it pretty interesting that it has apparently grown to be pretty popular in NY... but outside of NY,I'd say that it's probably a niche market at best.

I think its a bigger market than you think. First off, the trager audiences is not guys who want to "look cool in their softball league". I am very familiar with CustcomCleats. Im from New York City and theyre a company based out of Long Island. I played in college against the guy who owns the company. Because theyre a local company here, there is probably more exposure in the baseball community here than other places but I see their product alot. I coach at the high school level and I have seen more than a couple high school players wearing them. I also play in a very competitive mens BASEBALL league. Alot of former and current college players are in the league and the customcleats thing is a big trend among players. I probably saw about a dozen different models last year in our league. I know a bunch of guys on my team, including myself, have looked into the idea. I havent done it because I havent found a pair that I feel confident would look great as a spike and I question the quality of the product.

I wasn't saying that that is their 'target audience'. Their target market is clearly people who are looking for cleats with sneaker-like comfort.

I only mentioned that because I think the development of lighter, more comfortable baseball cleats is going to make that sort of company obsolete in a few years. Five years ago, I would've considered getting a pair of those based on how much cleat pressure I used to feel without any foam in the forefoot of most cleats. But based on some of the models available right now, I don't see the point from a functionality perspective. Why would I spend an extra $90 when I could wear a pair of Huarache's that are basically just about as comfortable as sneakers? So that's all I was saying... a few years down the road, the only people who are going to consider it are those who just want style.
As far as the size of the market... baseball's still largely a sport of tradition. I think there's a lot more traditionalists out there who just want a durable, conservative pair of actual cleats than there are guys looking to wear sneakers on the field. Based on what you said, I underestimated its popularity in the NY region, but I play in competitive mens' leagues in PA, played some college ball, and did some press coverage for high school baseball, I've never seen any customs. I still find it pretty interesting that it has apparently grown to be pretty popular in NY... but outside of NY, I'd say that it's probably a niche market at best.

I agree that for most players at most levels its an unnecessary luxury. I do think that they are responsible for all cleat treatments you see in the bigs,whether its Edmonds' diamond turfs or Frank Thomas' shox. I know thats a pretty bold statement, but they have a US patent on the technique or removingthe cleat plates and putting them on sneakers. Every time I see a picture of a cleat treatment (like the Ackley Space Jams) the bottom is done exactly the wayCustom Cleats does it. I think legally theyre the only ones who can do it so thats why I think they have exclusive rights to MLB business. I could be totallywrong though.

Whered you play in college?

I have this up on the showcase section. However I wanted to show this post some love too. Some all-star Jeter cleats from 2005 in which he did not play. It issigned by the designer Jayson Hayden. Cool rare item but I might get rid of it since I like to wear my stuff rather then just look at it.

Back
Top Bottom