MLB Trade Deadline thread - Everybody to LAD; Contreras to COL; Kazmir to ANA; Wagner to BOS.

17 years is sort of a long rebuilding process isn't it?

Shouldn't the farm system already be in tip top shape with all the talent they have given away over the years? I don't see where the light is at theend of the tunnel for that franchise. They need to start giving 10 year low money deals to their prospects or something to keep them in town to build off of. No more stocking, then moving 3 years down the road.
smh.gif

Like I said a larger market will yield better offers than that in the off season and if not 2010 hear we come, and I'm cool with that.
I cannot wait until the Blue Jays don't get a better offer than that in the winter, and when they're 16.5 games out of first 362 days fromnow.

Originally Posted by CP1708

17 years is sort of a long rebuilding process isn't it?

Shouldn't the farm system already be in tip top shape with all the talent they have given away over the years? I don't see where the light is at the end of the tunnel for that franchise. They need to start giving 10 year low money deals to their prospects or something to keep them in town to build off of. No more stocking, then moving 3 years down the road.
smh.gif
well - this is new ownership again. They can't be held responsible for the last 16 of these years, and like the one guy said - at least thesecurrent guys are serious about rebuilding, not just picking and choosing places to rebuild while paying out way too much to crappy veterans to fill in holes.

I guess any sort of movement is good at this point - even if it means we take a step or two back.

Like Nick Johnson's 400 OBP and 300 RISP for the Fish. Gonna be a fine 2 hole hitter down stretch in front of Hanley. Have 6 years gone by? Time to winthe Wildcard, and win another World Series I guess.

Honestly I will take two draft picks over a bunch of prospects who.

A. Suck
B. Blocked by Vernon Wells or Alex Rios
C. Are not better than any of our prospects who play the same position.

At least we can pick what we want, and plus the Jays they will go over slot from now on something that we have never done before.

[h3]Five Winners[/h3]
[table][tr][th=""]PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: LHP Cliff Lee, OF Ben Francisco[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: RHP Carlos Carrasco, INF Jason Donald, RHP Jason Knapp, C Lou Marson[/td] [/tr][/table]
phi.gif
Contrary to popular belief, they didn't bamboozle the Indians into trading them a Cy Young Award winner (Cliff Lee) in exchange for a bunch of flotsam and jetsam. The Indians' haul in this deal was heavily underrated by the masses. And the Phillies didn't get the guy they really wanted -- Halladay -- either. But they did trade for the best pitcher who changed teams, saved $9 million compared with what Halladay would have cost, got an innings-eater who gives them a shot to win two more World Series and kept all the front-line prospects they were trying to keep out of the Halladay deal. "I give [Phillies GM] Ruben [Amaro Jr.] a lot of credit," one AL executive said. "He got what he wanted, and he didn't have to give up the guy [hot pitching prospect Kyle Drabek] he didn't want to give up. But you know what? As good as Cliff Lee is, I still think it might have been worth it [to overpay for Halladay]. Roy Halladay in the National League would have been unhittable. He would have put up CC [Sabathia] numbers for a year and a half. I can't say that about Cliff Lee. But I do love Cliff Lee. I think he's a fantastic pitcher."
[table][tr][th=""]BOSTON RED SOX[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: C/1B Victor Martinez, 1B Casey Kotchman, OF Chris Duncan[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: SS Argenis Diaz, LHP Nick Hagadone, 1B Adam LaRoche, SS Julio Lugo, RHP Justin Masterson, RHP Bryan Price, RHP Hunter Strickland[/td] [/tr][/table]
bos.gif
They're the big-game hunters of Deadline Day. Every year, they pull off something mammoth -- by design. And this year's regularly scheduled extravaganza -- for Cleveland's Victor Martinez -- netted them exactly the kind of switch-hitting middle-of-the-order offensive force they needed. Even though Martinez is in a two-month funk (.193 average, .284 OBP, .340 SLG since May 22), he leads all big league catchers in homers and RBIs over the past six seasons. His ability to shift to first base gives the Sox roster insurance to help deal with Jason Varitek's and Mike Lowell's age and health issues. And like the Phillies, the Red Sox didn't have to give up the two young pitchers they thought they most needed to hang on to (Clay Buchholz and Daniel Bard). "Victor Martinez was the best offensive piece who got dealt," one scout said. "But they also need him because they're very concerned about Varitek, who just looks physically beat up. They had to get some help there. Plus, he gives them exactly the kind of bat they were looking for."
[table][tr][th=""]ST. LOUIS CARDINALS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: LF Matt Holliday, 3B Mark DeRosa, SS Julio Lugo[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: OF Chris Duncan, RHP Clayton Mortensen, RHP Chris Perez, OF Shane Peterson, RHP Jess Todd, 3B Brett Wallace[/td] [/tr][/table]
stl.gif
They didn't wait till Deadline Day to make their big moves. They reeled in Mark DeRosa more than a month ago, then scarfed up Matt Holliday last Friday, with Julio Lugo tossed in along the way. It cost the Cardinals four of their top six prospects, according to Baseball America. And if they can't re-sign either Holliday or DeRosa, that will feel like way too painful a price. But they've transformed their lineup into one of the deepest in the league -- and given the teams they play a reason to stop walking Albert Pujols. So those deals did just what midseason trades are supposed to do -- turn them into a dangerous matchup for anybody in October. "They're huge winners," said an official of one NL team. "Adding Holliday and DeRosa to that lineup gives them exactly what they were missing. What it really does is maximizes Pujols' value. Now you don't know what the hell to do. You don't want to walk him, and you don't want to pitch to him, either. And unfortunately, you've only got two choices."
[table][tr][th=""]LOS ANGELES DODGERS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: LHP George Sherrill[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: INF Josh Bell, RHP Steve Johnson[/td] [/tr][/table]
lad.gif
They didn't get the top-of-the-rotation starter they were stalking (Halladay or Lee). And they missed out on Heath Bell in one final pre-deadline buying spree. But there was only one impact bullpen arm who changed teams this week (George Sherrill). And it was the Dodgers who reeled him in -- without dealing away any prospect who figured in their short-term or middle-term plans. Sherrill is precisely what this bullpen needed. He can pitch the eighth inning. He can pitch the ninth. He devours left-handed hitters (who are batting .133, with precisely one extra-base hit and no homers, against him). And he could be a huge weapon in October if the Dodgers meet the lefty-loaded Phillies, who went hitless in three appearances against him this year. "The first thing Sherrill gives them," one scout said, "is that their bullpen is worn out. So he'll be fresher than any of those guys. And if they see the Phillies down the road, he's one of the best left-on-left relievers there is."
[table][tr][th=""]CLEVELAND INDIANS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: RHP Carlos Carrasco, INF Jason Donald, RHP Jason Knapp, C Lou Marson, RHP Jess Todd[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: LHP Cliff Lee, OF Ben Francisco[/td] [/tr][/table]
cle.gif
They're not going to feel like winners in Cleveland right now. We know that. Trading away a rent-a-player such as DeRosa was one thing. Trading two pillars the likes of Martinez and Lee is another. So, as one AL front-office man put it, "I'm sure there are no smiles in Cleveland right now. You think about where they were in 2007, up 3-1 in the ALCS and one win away from the World Series. And next thing you know, they're the big sellers two years in a row in July. That can't feel real good." But of the teams that spent July selling off, nobody reeled in the quality haul of prospects the Indians did. They collected six solid young players who are either big-league-ready now or will be shortly (Chris Perez, Justin Masterson, Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson, Jason Donald and Jess Todd). And they built both the Lee and Martinez deals around younger, 6-foot-5 flame-ballers who both project as No. 1 starters -- Jason Knapp and Nick Hagadone, respectively. So for what they were trying to accomplish, they did well. But "here's the tough part," said the same front-office man. "This is different than trading CC. At least they could do that and know the next year they still had Cliff Lee. But these trades mean they're not going to win for a couple of years. I'm sure they're excited about a lot of the guys they got back. But 81 times a year, you've got to sit there and watch it. And that's tough. I think they're going to end up being really good in about 2012. But in the meantime, it's going to be hard." [h3]Five Losers[/h3]
[table][tr][th=""]TORONTO BLUE JAYS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: 3B Edwin Encarnacion, RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Zach Stewart[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: 3B Scott Rolen[/td] [/tr][/table]
tor.gif
This team, one exec said, wins "the all-time award for much ado about nothing." Three weeks ago, when GM J.P. Ricciardi let the word get out that the great Roy Halladay was available, it seemed inevitable that the ace would be calling the moving vans by Deadline Day. Instead, the Blue Jays just kept jacking the prices north instead of south, and never could get any team to pay them -- hard as a bunch of teams tried. We give the Jays credit for one thing: They said from the start they wanted a special package in return -- the Erik Bedard deal, only better -- and they never wavered. Still, said an official of one AL team Friday morning, "If they end up with him on their team at 4:01 [i.e., after the deadline], that seems crazy to me. On the day after the season, they won't get 70 percent of what they've been offered right now. So either you'll be trading him for a lot less when you do it, or you're hoping for a one-year window in the toughest division in baseball and then you lose him for two draft picks. That just seems crazy to me."
[table][tr][th=""]LOS ANGELES ANGELS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: None[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: None[/td] [/tr][/table]
laa.gif
Once again, the Angels arrived at the final week of July knowing they had a great shot to play in October. And once again, the deadline came and went without a single entry in their transactions column. Not that they didn't try. They made furious runs at Halladay and Lee. They were in the thick of the bidding for Sherrill and Heath Bell. But they couldn't finish off any of those deals. And although they had rational explanations for what happened in all those cases, this is a team that needs a pitching upgrade in general and a bullpen upgrade in particular to win in October. So it had better pray for a waiver-deal bargain to fall in its lap in August.
[table][tr][th=""]NEW YORK YANKEES[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: INF/OF Jerry Hairston Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: C Chase Weems[/td] [/tr][/table]
nyy.gif
If everything in life comes down to Yankees-Red Sox, then any deadline when the Red Sox pull off a major coups and the Yankees trade for a utility guy (Jerry Hairston Jr.) has to dump the Yankees in the old "losers" column, even though they're obviously not exactly a team in need of a major overhaul. "The one thing you have to say in their defense," one AL exec said, "is they're rolling. It's hard to find their fault right now." But if this is a team without a hole, how come the Yankees made a run at Jarrod Washburn and Kansas City's Brian Bannister? Because they know themselves that they're one rotation injury from a potentially serious pitching crisis. If they can unearth a little pitching depth in August, we'll call off the Trouble Watch. But for now, any Deadline Day that passes without a significant Yankees move will be considered by the proper authorities to be an official "loss."
[table][tr][th=""]KANSAS CITY ROYALS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: OF Josh Anderson, INF/OF Ryan Freel, SS Yuniesky Betancourt[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: P Danny Cortes, P Derrick Saito[/td] [/tr][/table]
kan.gif
They liked their team in April, when they got off to that magical 18-11 start. They insist they still like it as they head into August, even though they won just 19 of their next 59 games. But it's tough to look at the Royals' roster and find more than two cornerstone players (Zack Greinke and Joakim Soria). So although this was another team that had reasonable explanations for not dealing anyone from Mark Teahen to Willie Bloomquist, it's still hard to think the Royals didn't miss an opportunity to change their mix and upgrade their system, at least a little. "The one guy they really had a desire to move was [Gil] Meche," one exec said. "And then they couldn't even move him because he was hurt." "I guess they like their team," another NL executive said. "But from afar, it's just hard to understand."
[table][tr][th=""]HOUSTON ASTROS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: None[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: None[/td] [/tr][/table]
hou.gif
This team has played its tail off to climb from nine games under .500, and nine games out of first, to right in the thick of the race. But even the Astros aren't nearly as talented as the teams they're battling, and they sat out the whole deadline free-for-all, from start to finish. But it wasn't GM Ed Wade's fault. Owner Drayton McLane wouldn't let them add one penny to the payroll. So their only move all week was to release Russ Ortiz before he had even turned the shower knobs after giving up nine runs to the Cubs on Thursday. "That was a team in a tough spot," one NL exec said. "No money to spend. No prospects to trade. Tough combination." [h3]Get Back To Us In Two Years[/h3]
[table][tr][th=""]CHICAGO WHITE SOX[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: RHP Jake Peavy[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: RHP Dexter Carter, LHP Aaron Poreda, LHP Clayton Richard, RHP Adam Russell[/td] [/tr][/table]
chw.gif
They're going to show up on a lot of other people's "Winners" list after pulling off that sneaky Jake Peavy deal about four seconds before the deadline. But is "winner" really the right term for a team that just dealt a big package for a guy who (A) might not throw a pitch until mid-September (if then), (B) is going from the NL to the AL, (C) is moving from Pitching Heaven (Petco Park) to a pitcher's worst nightmare (The Cell) and (D) is adding more than $55 million to the payroll through 2012? "I don't know if they're winners," one AL exec said. "But they're definitely the biggest gamblers."
[table][tr][th=""]PITTSBURGH PIRATES[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: RHP Nathan Adcock, RHP Tim Alderson, RHP Jose Ascanio, SS Ronny Cedeno, 1B Jeff Clement, SS Argenis Diaz, RHP Joel Hanrahan, RHP Kevin Hart, OF Gorkys Hernandez, RHP Jeff Locke, RHP Brett Lorin, OF Lastings Milledge, RHP Charlie Morton, RHP Aaron Pribanic, RHP Hunter Strickland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: RHP Sean Burnett, LHP Tom Gorzelanny, LHP John Grabow, OF Eric Hinske, 1B Adam LaRoche, OF Nate McLouth, OF Nyjer Morgan, INF Freddy Sanchez, RHP Ian Snell, SS Jack Wilson[/td] [/tr][/table]
pit.gif
They're the talk of the industry. We're just not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. It isn't true that the Pirates made a deal to unload a recognizable face every 20 minutes this month. But it seemed like it. And now that the rubble has settled to earth, they've added 18 players -- whoever they are -- since June in trades that exported Nate McLouth, Eric Hinske, Freddy Sanchez, Jack Wilson, Adam LaRoche, Nyjer Morgan, John Grabow, Sean Burnett, Tom Gorzelanny and Ian Snell. We have no idea what to make of watching this roster spin through the Cuisinart. So listen to a bunch of great baseball minds debate it: PRO -- "As they said themselves, it's not like they just broke up the '27 Yankees. They weren't going to compete with those guys anyway. And they were just going to start getting too expensive before they had enough talent to win. With the players they got back, some are more questionable than others. But I still think what they're doing is the right thing." CON -- "I don't know what they're doing. They're either over-evaluating their return or under-evaluating what they're moving, or just trying to blow every [big] contract off their roster, because I really don't see a lot of upside in just about anyone they got back." PRO -- "At least they're finally doing it right. Before, they'd always kind of half rebuild. Not this time. I'm not sure where it's leading. But I'll say this. They've definitely got a deep farm system." CON -- "I've seen fire sales. But this is the biggest fire sale I've ever seen. I don't know how you can do this to your fans. You can't just wipe it out and say, 'Come see us in three years.' ... They've got a lot of players now, but I'm not sure what they've got. They've got plenty of quantity. I'm just not sure of the quality. All I know is, some of these guys, in two years, had better be pretty good players. Or somebody has a lot of explaining to do."
Stark forgot about ten players from the Indians "In/Out."
laugh.gif

My boy justin masterson got traded... good luck.. his wife is
eek.gif

OMGGG at the braves acquiring adam laroache again.. dude is a BUM.. I'll never forget that BS he pulled before atlanta traded him the first time...
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

[h3]Five Winners[/h3]
[table][tr][th=""]PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: LHP Cliff Lee, OF Ben Francisco[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: RHP Carlos Carrasco, INF Jason Donald, RHP Jason Knapp, C Lou Marson[/td] [/tr][/table]
phi.gif
Contrary to popular belief, they didn't bamboozle the Indians into trading them a Cy Young Award winner (Cliff Lee) in exchange for a bunch of flotsam and jetsam. The Indians' haul in this deal was heavily underrated by the masses. And the Phillies didn't get the guy they really wanted -- Halladay -- either. But they did trade for the best pitcher who changed teams, saved $9 million compared with what Halladay would have cost, got an innings-eater who gives them a shot to win two more World Series and kept all the front-line prospects they were trying to keep out of the Halladay deal. "I give [Phillies GM] Ruben [Amaro Jr.] a lot of credit," one AL executive said. "He got what he wanted, and he didn't have to give up the guy [hot pitching prospect Kyle Drabek] he didn't want to give up. But you know what? As good as Cliff Lee is, I still think it might have been worth it [to overpay for Halladay]. Roy Halladay in the National League would have been unhittable. He would have put up CC [Sabathia] numbers for a year and a half. I can't say that about Cliff Lee. But I do love Cliff Lee. I think he's a fantastic pitcher."
[table][tr][th=""]BOSTON RED SOX[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: C/1B Victor Martinez, 1B Casey Kotchman, OF Chris Duncan[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: SS Argenis Diaz, LHP Nick Hagadone, 1B Adam LaRoche, SS Julio Lugo, RHP Justin Masterson, RHP Bryan Price, RHP Hunter Strickland[/td] [/tr][/table]
bos.gif
They're the big-game hunters of Deadline Day. Every year, they pull off something mammoth -- by design. And this year's regularly scheduled extravaganza -- for Cleveland's Victor Martinez -- netted them exactly the kind of switch-hitting middle-of-the-order offensive force they needed. Even though Martinez is in a two-month funk (.193 average, .284 OBP, .340 SLG since May 22), he leads all big league catchers in homers and RBIs over the past six seasons. His ability to shift to first base gives the Sox roster insurance to help deal with Jason Varitek's and Mike Lowell's age and health issues. And like the Phillies, the Red Sox didn't have to give up the two young pitchers they thought they most needed to hang on to (Clay Buchholz and Daniel Bard). "Victor Martinez was the best offensive piece who got dealt," one scout said. "But they also need him because they're very concerned about Varitek, who just looks physically beat up. They had to get some help there. Plus, he gives them exactly the kind of bat they were looking for."
[table][tr][th=""]ST. LOUIS CARDINALS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: LF Matt Holliday, 3B Mark DeRosa, SS Julio Lugo[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: OF Chris Duncan, RHP Clayton Mortensen, RHP Chris Perez, OF Shane Peterson, RHP Jess Todd, 3B Brett Wallace[/td] [/tr][/table]
stl.gif
They didn't wait till Deadline Day to make their big moves. They reeled in Mark DeRosa more than a month ago, then scarfed up Matt Holliday last Friday, with Julio Lugo tossed in along the way. It cost the Cardinals four of their top six prospects, according to Baseball America. And if they can't re-sign either Holliday or DeRosa, that will feel like way too painful a price. But they've transformed their lineup into one of the deepest in the league -- and given the teams they play a reason to stop walking Albert Pujols. So those deals did just what midseason trades are supposed to do -- turn them into a dangerous matchup for anybody in October. "They're huge winners," said an official of one NL team. "Adding Holliday and DeRosa to that lineup gives them exactly what they were missing. What it really does is maximizes Pujols' value. Now you don't know what the hell to do. You don't want to walk him, and you don't want to pitch to him, either. And unfortunately, you've only got two choices."
[table][tr][th=""]LOS ANGELES DODGERS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: LHP George Sherrill[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: INF Josh Bell, RHP Steve Johnson[/td] [/tr][/table]
lad.gif
They didn't get the top-of-the-rotation starter they were stalking (Halladay or Lee). And they missed out on Heath Bell in one final pre-deadline buying spree. But there was only one impact bullpen arm who changed teams this week (George Sherrill). And it was the Dodgers who reeled him in -- without dealing away any prospect who figured in their short-term or middle-term plans. Sherrill is precisely what this bullpen needed. He can pitch the eighth inning. He can pitch the ninth. He devours left-handed hitters (who are batting .133, with precisely one extra-base hit and no homers, against him). And he could be a huge weapon in October if the Dodgers meet the lefty-loaded Phillies, who went hitless in three appearances against him this year. "The first thing Sherrill gives them," one scout said, "is that their bullpen is worn out. So he'll be fresher than any of those guys. And if they see the Phillies down the road, he's one of the best left-on-left relievers there is."
[table][tr][th=""]CLEVELAND INDIANS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: RHP Carlos Carrasco, INF Jason Donald, RHP Jason Knapp, C Lou Marson, RHP Jess Todd[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: LHP Cliff Lee, OF Ben Francisco[/td] [/tr][/table]
cle.gif
They're not going to feel like winners in Cleveland right now. We know that. Trading away a rent-a-player such as DeRosa was one thing. Trading two pillars the likes of Martinez and Lee is another. So, as one AL front-office man put it, "I'm sure there are no smiles in Cleveland right now. You think about where they were in 2007, up 3-1 in the ALCS and one win away from the World Series. And next thing you know, they're the big sellers two years in a row in July. That can't feel real good." But of the teams that spent July selling off, nobody reeled in the quality haul of prospects the Indians did. They collected six solid young players who are either big-league-ready now or will be shortly (Chris Perez, Justin Masterson, Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson, Jason Donald and Jess Todd). And they built both the Lee and Martinez deals around younger, 6-foot-5 flame-ballers who both project as No. 1 starters -- Jason Knapp and Nick Hagadone, respectively. So for what they were trying to accomplish, they did well. But "here's the tough part," said the same front-office man. "This is different than trading CC. At least they could do that and know the next year they still had Cliff Lee. But these trades mean they're not going to win for a couple of years. I'm sure they're excited about a lot of the guys they got back. But 81 times a year, you've got to sit there and watch it. And that's tough. I think they're going to end up being really good in about 2012. But in the meantime, it's going to be hard." [h3]Five Losers[/h3]
[table][tr][th=""]TORONTO BLUE JAYS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: 3B Edwin Encarnacion, RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Zach Stewart[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: 3B Scott Rolen[/td] [/tr][/table]
tor.gif
This team, one exec said, wins "the all-time award for much ado about nothing." Three weeks ago, when GM J.P. Ricciardi let the word get out that the great Roy Halladay was available, it seemed inevitable that the ace would be calling the moving vans by Deadline Day. Instead, the Blue Jays just kept jacking the prices north instead of south, and never could get any team to pay them -- hard as a bunch of teams tried. We give the Jays credit for one thing: They said from the start they wanted a special package in return -- the Erik Bedard deal, only better -- and they never wavered. Still, said an official of one AL team Friday morning, "If they end up with him on their team at 4:01 [i.e., after the deadline], that seems crazy to me. On the day after the season, they won't get 70 percent of what they've been offered right now. So either you'll be trading him for a lot less when you do it, or you're hoping for a one-year window in the toughest division in baseball and then you lose him for two draft picks. That just seems crazy to me."
[table][tr][th=""]LOS ANGELES ANGELS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: None[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: None[/td] [/tr][/table]
laa.gif
Once again, the Angels arrived at the final week of July knowing they had a great shot to play in October. And once again, the deadline came and went without a single entry in their transactions column. Not that they didn't try. They made furious runs at Halladay and Lee. They were in the thick of the bidding for Sherrill and Heath Bell. But they couldn't finish off any of those deals. And although they had rational explanations for what happened in all those cases, this is a team that needs a pitching upgrade in general and a bullpen upgrade in particular to win in October. So it had better pray for a waiver-deal bargain to fall in its lap in August.
[table][tr][th=""]NEW YORK YANKEES[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: INF/OF Jerry Hairston Jr.[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: C Chase Weems[/td] [/tr][/table]
nyy.gif
If everything in life comes down to Yankees-Red Sox, then any deadline when the Red Sox pull off a major coups and the Yankees trade for a utility guy (Jerry Hairston Jr.) has to dump the Yankees in the old "losers" column, even though they're obviously not exactly a team in need of a major overhaul. "The one thing you have to say in their defense," one AL exec said, "is they're rolling. It's hard to find their fault right now." But if this is a team without a hole, how come the Yankees made a run at Jarrod Washburn and Kansas City's Brian Bannister? Because they know themselves that they're one rotation injury from a potentially serious pitching crisis. If they can unearth a little pitching depth in August, we'll call off the Trouble Watch. But for now, any Deadline Day that passes without a significant Yankees move will be considered by the proper authorities to be an official "loss."
[table][tr][th=""]KANSAS CITY ROYALS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: OF Josh Anderson, INF/OF Ryan Freel, SS Yuniesky Betancourt[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: P Danny Cortes, P Derrick Saito[/td] [/tr][/table]
kan.gif
They liked their team in April, when they got off to that magical 18-11 start. They insist they still like it as they head into August, even though they won just 19 of their next 59 games. But it's tough to look at the Royals' roster and find more than two cornerstone players (Zack Greinke and Joakim Soria). So although this was another team that had reasonable explanations for not dealing anyone from Mark Teahen to Willie Bloomquist, it's still hard to think the Royals didn't miss an opportunity to change their mix and upgrade their system, at least a little. "The one guy they really had a desire to move was [Gil] Meche," one exec said. "And then they couldn't even move him because he was hurt." "I guess they like their team," another NL executive said. "But from afar, it's just hard to understand."
[table][tr][th=""]HOUSTON ASTROS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: None[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: None[/td] [/tr][/table]
hou.gif
This team has played its tail off to climb from nine games under .500, and nine games out of first, to right in the thick of the race. But even the Astros aren't nearly as talented as the teams they're battling, and they sat out the whole deadline free-for-all, from start to finish. But it wasn't GM Ed Wade's fault. Owner Drayton McLane wouldn't let them add one penny to the payroll. So their only move all week was to release Russ Ortiz before he had even turned the shower knobs after giving up nine runs to the Cubs on Thursday. "That was a team in a tough spot," one NL exec said. "No money to spend. No prospects to trade. Tough combination." [h3]Get Back To Us In Two Years[/h3]
[table][tr][th=""]CHICAGO WHITE SOX[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: RHP Jake Peavy[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: RHP Dexter Carter, LHP Aaron Poreda, LHP Clayton Richard, RHP Adam Russell[/td] [/tr][/table]
chw.gif
They're going to show up on a lot of other people's "Winners" list after pulling off that sneaky Jake Peavy deal about four seconds before the deadline. But is "winner" really the right term for a team that just dealt a big package for a guy who (A) might not throw a pitch until mid-September (if then), (B) is going from the NL to the AL, (C) is moving from Pitching Heaven (Petco Park) to a pitcher's worst nightmare (The Cell) and (D) is adding more than $55 million to the payroll through 2012? "I don't know if they're winners," one AL exec said. "But they're definitely the biggest gamblers."
[table][tr][th=""]PITTSBURGH PIRATES[/th] [/tr][tr][td]IN: RHP Nathan Adcock, RHP Tim Alderson, RHP Jose Ascanio, SS Ronny Cedeno, 1B Jeff Clement, SS Argenis Diaz, RHP Joel Hanrahan, RHP Kevin Hart, OF Gorkys Hernandez, RHP Jeff Locke, RHP Brett Lorin, OF Lastings Milledge, RHP Charlie Morton, RHP Aaron Pribanic, RHP Hunter Strickland[/td] [/tr][tr][td]OUT: RHP Sean Burnett, LHP Tom Gorzelanny, LHP John Grabow, OF Eric Hinske, 1B Adam LaRoche, OF Nate McLouth, OF Nyjer Morgan, INF Freddy Sanchez, RHP Ian Snell, SS Jack Wilson[/td] [/tr][/table]
pit.gif
They're the talk of the industry. We're just not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. It isn't true that the Pirates made a deal to unload a recognizable face every 20 minutes this month. But it seemed like it. And now that the rubble has settled to earth, they've added 18 players -- whoever they are -- since June in trades that exported Nate McLouth, Eric Hinske, Freddy Sanchez, Jack Wilson, Adam LaRoche, Nyjer Morgan, John Grabow, Sean Burnett, Tom Gorzelanny and Ian Snell. We have no idea what to make of watching this roster spin through the Cuisinart. So listen to a bunch of great baseball minds debate it: PRO -- "As they said themselves, it's not like they just broke up the '27 Yankees. They weren't going to compete with those guys anyway. And they were just going to start getting too expensive before they had enough talent to win. With the players they got back, some are more questionable than others. But I still think what they're doing is the right thing." CON -- "I don't know what they're doing. They're either over-evaluating their return or under-evaluating what they're moving, or just trying to blow every [big] contract off their roster, because I really don't see a lot of upside in just about anyone they got back." PRO -- "At least they're finally doing it right. Before, they'd always kind of half rebuild. Not this time. I'm not sure where it's leading. But I'll say this. They've definitely got a deep farm system." CON -- "I've seen fire sales. But this is the biggest fire sale I've ever seen. I don't know how you can do this to your fans. You can't just wipe it out and say, 'Come see us in three years.' ... They've got a lot of players now, but I'm not sure what they've got. They've got plenty of quantity. I'm just not sure of the quality. All I know is, some of these guys, in two years, had better be pretty good players. Or somebody has a lot of explaining to do."
Stark forgot about ten players from the Indians "In/Out."
laugh.gif

If Im an Indians fan or Pirates fan, I am boycotting the team until the owners actually start to care about winning. Those stadiums deserve to be empty.Nothing against the players though. Its not their fault.

And Im sure Brewer fans will agree with me...Melvins days as GM are now numbered.

If Im an Indians fan or Pirates fan, I am boycotting the team until the owners actually start to care about winning. Those stadiums deserve to be empty. Nothing against the players though. Its not their fault.
I'm puzzled how a Brewers fan could possibly be questioning this strategy.

Your organization is fighting the same fight, man. They just happen to be on a good cycle right now.

What the Indians are doing and what the Pirates are doing are nowhere near similar.

I disagree, i think they took the right steps. No one likes to rebuild. Im kind of pissed the astros are even sniffing the playoffs cause im ready to blow upthis team and rebuild. But you cant rebuild on a shaky foundation. Cause nothing is worse than being mediocre and hoping you get better by filling in the gapswith role players. So i would be happy they are blowing up the house and setting a new foundation. The sooner you rebuild, the sooner you will get better.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Like I said a larger market will yield better offers than that in the off season and if not 2010 hear we come, and I'm cool with that.
I cannot wait until the Blue Jays don't get a better offer than that in the winter, and when they're 16.5 games out of first 362 days from now.

laugh.gif
And that's exactly what's going to happen... Notone damn team in baseball is giving up their two best prospects, a major league rotation contributor, plus another solid prospect...

Riccardi wants the moon, a leprechaun, and a unicorn, and NOBODY is gonna give it to him, even when there are several teams bidding for his services...

I'd absolutely LOVE to know what the Rangers were offering...

And
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ being happy with two draft picks... One Neftali Feliz, Justin Smoak, or Kyle Drabek is worth more than two draft picks...

And for what it's worth, the report that Halladay rejected the notion of playing in Arlington was shot down... So that wasn't the roadblock that keptthis thing from going through...

I felt Philly was going to smack around anyone they faced in the playoffsbefore the Lee trade, but now they are going to ABUSE anyone they face.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I felt Philly was going to smack around anyone they faced in the playoffsbefore the Lee trade, but now they are going to ABUSE anyone they face.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
My man Mez knows whats up. Except I don't think it's going to be easylike you think so. Dodgers will give them some trouble.

pimp.gif
@ a complete game 4 hitter in your debut though.

Whats stopping a Phillies vs Yankees world series?

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

You are delusional if you believe that.

Taking some of the attention away from Riccardi...

The Nationals blew it by not trading Josh Willingham while his value was at its peak... He's NOT going to continue hitting at this rate... His productionis gonna regress and take his value right along with it...

Team isn't going anywhere now or any time soon, so keeping Willingham makes very, very little sense...

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Originally Posted by JaysForDays

the one and only reason i wanted Nick Johnson to be traded-- i knew it would likely lead to this:
Jul 31 The Nationals recalled Dukes from Triple-A Syracuse on Friday, MASN reports.

b3726b84e6c6d4be23052ff24d7e2289a9e8b09e.gif

LONG overdue, but at least it's been finally done
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Taking some of the attention away from Riccardi...

The Nationals blew it by not trading Josh Willingham while his value was at its peak... He's NOT going to continue hitting at this rate... His production is gonna regress and take his value right along with it...

Team isn't going anywhere now or any time soon, so keeping Willingham makes very, very little sense...

I agree, but according to our GM we're not rebuilding we're building on the 'foundation' we already have. I hate the nationals.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

well for the yankee side of things, theres this team that wears red hats with an A on them that tends to own them whenever they play.

the phillies are the favorites in the nl right now imo though. the dodgers have been comming back down to earth, the phillies have the pitching to shut thedodgers down in a playoff series as well. thats why i'm shocked the dodgers didn't try harder to get cliff lee.

Something about buchholz but when ever i watch him pitch, he does have that it factor. maybe he can figure it out

Back
Top Bottom