Montana NTers?

yo this thread is taking off....

kicks2024 kicks2024 we gotta link. I just got in town last night. planning on being here at least 6 mos

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican ive actually seen a decent amount of black people.

not a lot, but more than I expected.

which is like 10 total since i got into the state LOL

If you don’t mind me asking, what has you in Montana for an indefinite amount of time? You working remotely or something? Witness protection? Part of Kanye’s crew?

What part of MT are you in? Curious what "expensive" is relative to where I'm at (I mean no offense) considering we're looking to move from the Bay Area potentially..

I grew up in Seattle and have always been in diverse neighborhoods and blacks were inner city and sprinkled in the burbs. But common. And I started moving around the country did LA/SF for 3 years and then moved to Alabama for a few months then Atlanta for a year. Eye opening and real experiences. Then after that I moved to Minnesota for 7 months.
I thought I was gonna run into all kinds of problems, but I loved it there. It was dope, hella cold tho. Crazy cold. Also I was up in Duluth not Minneapolis. Good thing.

anyways one of the last times I stopped in Montana was Bozeman the college town. My sister and I stopped there on a road trip to Seattle. Got some stiff looks but no body wanted smoke.We had a beer or 2 then got back on the road tho.

Oh and states NTers aren’t
Nebraska
Delaware
Alabama/Arkansas excluding colleges

Was interested in seeing the Cost of Living

1600723546309.png

DC, there's a video on YouTube from a brotha that visited about a year or two ago. He enjoyed his time there.

I have a aunt that lived in Wyoming with her husband and kids (all black). From what she has shared it wasn't bad living.

I'm interested in exploring these areas. Hell, I would give north or south Dakota a try. I just wanna be in place where I just "be".

western sd is dope. Black hills, bunch of nice medium sized towns and cool people.

Montana is gorgeous but I could see living there full time you gotta be in the right mindset.

As of 2019 the state of Montana had .6% black people. Most, probably if not all of them will be in either Billings or Missoula.

I know a Nigerian family and the dad works for the government who lives out in Whitefish. He loves it. You are probably more apt to face discrimination and racial issues being Native American than you are black.

Whitefish is known for its racism. Not saying everyone is tgere, but thats where supposedly the Klan still has a presence.

Living in Bozeman (college town) i see a fair amount of other black people. I mean daily its probably still only enough to count on 2 hands, thats usually only when school is in. Missoula is also the other bigger college town and also have about the same amount out n about.

Native American is the 2nd highest group behind White here

Can you tell the difference in air quality out there?

I can imagine you waking up and walking outside like

tenor-5.gif

Yeah its all good until late august early sept. If we dont have our own wild fires then we get smoke from Cali Oregon Wash Canada fires. Last year was good barely any smoke but this year has been pretty rough.

But yeah the air is good most of the time

The smell of a fire in the cold and thin winter air :nthat:

I like to sleep with the windows cracked and thats the worst smell for me trying to sleep. My in laws have a wood stove they use to heat their house, as do a lot of people.

What part of MT are you in? Curious what "expensive" is relative to where I'm at (I mean no offense) considering we're looking to move from the Bay Area potentially..

Im im Bozeman. So compared to Cali its cheaper but you still end up paying alot considering. Housing market didnt take a hit one bit during the pandemic because so many people from those states look to either move here, have 2nd or 3rd homes, or buy homes for getaways/rent out.

Was interested in seeing the Cost of Living

1600723546309.png

Helena is relative cheap for Montana. I live in Bozeman, if its not the most expensive then its def top 3. Big Sky is the highest but most consider it an extension of Bozeman

Compared to places like California and New York its cheaper.

Ive met/run in to A LOT of people that moved here from Georgia as well.

Since we were talking about the demographic, i havent experienced any racism from the people at all since living here. My only problem/encounter with it was from a damn police officer (go figure right) like 3 months after i got here

Checkin in

Theres def a speed limit. Ive been here 9 years now, it was 70 on main highway but its 80 now. You can prob go about 85 on a good day without worry, but folks def riding 90+

The backroad highways are usually 70

i was def going 85-90 the whole time through montana. saw one sheriff.

Can you tell the difference in air quality out there?

I can imagine you waking up and walking outside like

tenor-5.gif

apparently all the smoke left the day we arrived.

so, yes. it is like that.

i bet camping and fishing there would be amazing. i'd be too scared someone might try to scalp me though. i’ve been mistaken for american indian quite a few times.

Last edited:
If you don’t mind me asking, what has you in Montana for an indefinite amount of time? You working remotely or something? Witness protection? Part of Kanye’s crew?

My partner joked that we should have went looking for him but we passed the exit to Wyoming before the joke

Honestly wanted something different

Fortunate enough to have the opportunity

Took it

Wanna stay at least until after election

Any cities in particular? I live in Arizona now but wouldn't mind traveling to SD to beat the heat in the Summer.

you could stay in rapid city. It’s probably the biggest town. Some pretty good places to eat then you are in a central location to all the outdoor stuff.

there is a lot of camping too if that’s your thing or renting cabins.

I recommend the black elk peak hike if you’re trying to do something semi challenging.

you liked Duluth then? I know a bunch of people there who love it. It seems ok weather wise until the lake freezes then cold af.

I used to pass through there a lot for work on the the to the iron range, like Hibbing and Virginia and all those towns. Coldest place I’ve ever been in my life.

FThe45th FThe45th

Last edited:
i was def going 85-90 the whole time through montana. saw one sheriff.

apparently all the smoke left the day we arrived.

so, yes. it is like that.

what happened in Montana?

i dont have enough Gigs on my data plan to googles.

Yeah you just missed all the smoke. Out of nowhere we got about 4 or 5 fires then a pretty big one in bozeman that burned big/fast for a weekend then some rain came and slowed it down. About 3 days later the smoke from oregon and cali fires rolled in and hung around for about a week.

This was on the 15th, on the road to my house. Normally there's huge mountain view there

38913.jpeg

Dang you look way out in the country moreso than when I deliberately moved just outside the city in elgin (Oklahoma). Beautiful view

Back
Top Bottom