Most Disappointing Careers In Hip Hop?

^repped crazy how informed you are brah but you feel Riff raff. I just can't get with it. But to each their own.

Lmao its all good. Minus the edm/pop stuff Riff Raff does, his Houston influence is undeniable. Wish he did more collabs with Houston vets instead of the majority of those no-name losers that end up on his songs.

o-GUCCI-MANE-facebook.jpg

I see a lot of names on this list that shouldn't be. Many of the rappers mentioned who previously had successful rap careers in the 90's/ early 2000's have moved on to other fields of the entertainment industry. Also many of these guys make plenty of money performing their old music in smaller venues.

Buckshot from black moon is a prime example. Dude created his own sneaker brand and still does live performances from time to time.

Last edited:
Krit could have been going at anyone really. Everyone has just about used the karate chop and stutter flow from Memphis that Lord Infamous and Koopsta where doing right down to the whole chopped and screwed culture from Houston.

A bit off topic, but Drakes running around calling his crew his woes now. When I first heard that I thought I couldn't help but think of it as a short form of whodi. I feel that's where he got it from, but now his team says it stands for something else. So now thats the cliché caption to put under your instagram pic of a group of friends. Can't help but think of that line from Krit anytime I hear someone use that word.

Anyway, things never really worked out for Corey Gunz. Kid had a lot of talent an could spit. I thought he had a good look that could appeal to mainstream as well. He never seemed comfortable in front of the camera though and made terrible choices when it came to label situations.

I remember back in '07 when Papoose was murdering mixtapes and was a dope lyricist, but could never really make that next level hit. Busta tried to put him on but he never really popped off. 

DMX's name should never be mentioned in this thread.  As a rapper he had one of the greatest careers ever and is a living legend. 

IDAHIH is a classic.  He completely changed the game with it too.  Remember, Puff was on top at this point with a real clean polished and pop sound, while DMX brought back that raw, gritty and hard sound.

He had two number one albums released in the same year.  His consistency is unmatched.  Not to mention he had a pretty successful acting career during his run at the top as well.  Belly, Cradle to the Grave, Romeo Must Die.
hey I never really saw those past two movies but did you ever watch Never Die Alone?  It's really not the best movie at all, it may actually suck but he has a great performance in it.  Pretty much is the only thing that makes it watchable now that I think about it.  Anyways I actually think that DMX accomplished more than he was ever expected to.  Arena shows with suburban white girls going crazy for him but not doing any sugar coated music.  I seem to remember a lotta press for him in like 1997 was portraying him as this dangerous petty thief from Yonkers.  But he ended up making music that a lotta  people loved.  So I feel like you could never front on that man's talent.

Last edited:
Tash was good. I forget about dude sometimes. I agree with Planet Asia to a degree too. He never got the shine he deserved for his flow and lyrics either.

DMX's name should never be mentioned in this thread.  As a rapper he had one of the greatest careers ever and is a living legend. 

IDAHIH is a classic.  He completely changed the game with it too.  Remember, Puff was on top at this point with a real clean polished and pop sound, while DMX brought back that raw, gritty and hard sound.

He had two number one albums released in the same year.  His consistency is unmatched.  Not to mention he had a pretty successful acting career during his run at the top as well.  Belly, Cradle to the Grave, Romeo Must Die.
hey I never really saw those past two movies but did you ever watch Never Die Alone?  It's really not the best movie at all, it may actually suck but he has a great performance in it.  Pretty much is the only thing that makes it watchable now that I think about it.  Anyways I actually think that DMX accomplished more than he was ever expected to.  Arena shows with suburban white girls going crazy for him but not doing any sugar coated music.  I seem to remember a lotta press for him in like 1997 was portraying him as this dangerous petty thief from Yonkers.  But he ended up making music that a lotta  people loved.  So I feel like you could never front on that man's talent.

X was GREAT in Never Die Alone. :pimp:

Anyway, things never really worked out for Corey Gunz. Kid had a lot of talent an could spit. I thought he had a good look that could appeal to mainstream as well. He never seemed comfortable in front of the camera though and made terrible choices when it came to label situations.

Mentioned this before, but the lob Lil' Wa_n_ gave Cory Gunz on "6 ft 7ft" was something amazing. That was a massive hit everywhere, and followed it up with a reality show that did more for Peter Gunz than his own career.

I remember back in '07 when Papoose was murdering mixtapes and was a dope lyricist, but could never really make that next level hit. Busta tried to put him on but he never really popped off. 

Bust gave him a nice lob too, then finally released his official solo album what, 7 years later :lol:?? The only thing worse than that is Spliff Starr's song/skit at the end of "Body Rock", when Busta is all "we know yo **** comin out in '98, *********** have patience" :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, surprised nobody mentioned Chamillionaire.

My guy Cham can still go, but I feel like he exhausted himself on mixtape between 06 and 2010. It also didn't help that leading to his second official album, he tried to go the conscious and clean route in the middle of all the party party party overall degradation going on around that time. People weren't trying to clean up their act about anything. This was around the same time BET was trying to clean up their image (Hot Ghetto Mess/We Got To Do Better, which only served to draw more attention to negativity more than anything else.)

didnt go back far enough so idk if anyone mentioned him but uhhhh i would say Cyhi. I mean I know he's still in the mix with writing for ye and all but man i thought he could've had a better solo career. unfortunate

Never caught that movie actually.  I'll have to check it out. 
Mentioned this before, but the lob Lil' Wa_n_ gave Cory Gunz on "6 ft 7ft" was something amazing. That was a massive hit everywhere, and followed it up with a reality show that did more for Peter Gunz than his own career.

That was such a good look for Corey.  The beat suited him perfectly and he destroyed it.  I caught most of the show when it was on.  Papa Gat wanted his 15 minutes back.   

How could I forget Mos Def. Fell off after black on both sides, imo. Mediocre acting ruined him
Yeah as mentioned earlier, Tash too.

Back
Top Bottom