My Fellow College/College grad NTers, I seek advice/outlook. Vol. Business/Finance/Econ

Hello all,

It is with moderate urgency that I come to you guys as a 2nd year student in college. I've involved myself mostly with science/math-heavy related majors so far. I've went from a Mechanical Eng. major to an Environmental Science major. I've finally decided that it was about time that I stop kidding myself. With all the science classes I am currently undertaking at UC Davis, I've realized,

"What good will I be at any of this if I'm not enjoying it/doing exceptionally well?"

Last quarter was my first Bio class. Although I passed, I did so on a small margin. I was also taking Micro-econ at the time. I had a natural knack for it, but I did not study the final nor for the 2nd midterm and my grade went from a B+ to a D+ after all was said and done (I was too busy trying to piece my #%** together for Bio).

While taking my calculus courses here, I've also realized another thing...the only math problems I can seem to make real sense out of were the econ/efficiency-related ones.

So what does all this mean...?

Well, I have a few choices:
-Transfer into the econ major (which I've fulfilled many requirements for that overlap my current major)
-Or transfer to a totally different school. Here at Davis, the only thing business-related is Econ, but at the CSU's there are plenty of things like accounting and finance majors.
-Stay in my major and live life miserably for the rest of eternity. I mean, environmental sciences does hold some promise, but like I said....I can get away with science but I'm just not comfortable with it.

Shed some light on me guys...especially the ones who majored in econ/accounting/finance...I wanna know what your experience was like as well as what your career aspects are.

So what are you saying?

Trying to become a financial advisor/analyst in the future?
Or, need a quick cop out so you won't fail badly out of UC Davis?

In the state of this economy, I would only suggest doing anything related to developing a career under three pre-requisites.

1) It's something you love to do. Sounds cliche'. but I can't stress that not everyone enjoys finance let alone willing to transfer into such a field after realizing it's not for them (which I'm pretty sure you've taken note on your transfer from Eng./Bio. Had I known, I would have been better off I would have rough it out a bit more in econ/finance instead of trifiling with the major I graduated from. Especially since I want to break into the financial industry to become an analyst.

2) Does it seem feasible to get an immediate position for a career after graduation? It's getting tougher and tougher for competition. Even with the optimism Obama and many other "economists" in the field have claimed for the next several years. Make sure you can get something steady and decent to pay off those student loans if you're pulling any.

3) Does the school you graduated from matter? Obviously, you busted your butt to get into UC Davis (or had it as a back up) in either case to some people, the name means everything. So if you're willing to drop it then by any means, go to a CSU for inter-university transfer. However be forwarned some units you may have to re-do depending on the school.

Good luck, hope this helps.

A little confused as to what you're asking exactly, but Im guessing you want to know if finance/accounting majors would suggest you switch from where you are currently? 

It really depends on what you are most comfortable/confident in.  If you like what you learned in your Econ class, then go for that.  In terms of a career.. I personally wouldn't recommend majoring in Econ unless youre planning on going to grad school and further.  Econ degrees hold a little less weight than do Finance or Accounting in terms of getting a job (at least right now with things being terrible in the job market).  I graduated in Business Finance from a CSU last year and I can tell you finding a job is NEARLY impossible unless you know an executive in the company or you graduated from Harvard and the like. 

If you like numbers, the stock market, and the practicality of what you would learn (rather than obscure calculus youll likely never use) than Finance or Accounting would be the way to go.

9/10 Undergrad degrees are becoming worthless.  In your situation, you're going to have to make a 'serious' change.  UC Davis is a pretty good school IMHO, away from the whole USC hype.  I wouldn't necessarily think getting bad marks to be a trigger to change majors.  Rather, you should've taken feeler courses.  EVERYONE runs into these situations, and that's always going to be a personal learning experience.

I've graduated w/ a Finance Degree.  But in my process, I tried Accounting (like they all say), and Business Management.  Accounting murdered me, and I felt like spending time w/ the Double Major was useless.  I got out of school and spent a 'year' looking for a job.  I've tried EVERYWHERE, in ALL INDUSTRIES, particularly banks, real estate (it was starting to tank), hotels, etc. etc. Eventually I started 'low', like they all do.  People shouldn't over think things and expect guaranteed jobs.  The rules of the game changed.

I eventually wound up in a bank (no not teller), even though I had always despised working at one.  I can say that I am currently learning more than I have ever !!  But I work hard, and in the past 2 years w/ all this down turn, I am one of the few remaining.  Once you get your foot in, just work hard.

But I discovered a lot about myself.  You have to do something that suits you and challenges you.  But if the core of your major/field is really that difficult, then you have to consider changing.  For me, I enjoy the markets, the financials and have the crave for it.  But in reality, I am not good w/ Debits/Credits, though I see this a necessity in the real world.  Could I be a CEO or MANAGER in the corporate world ? To be honest. NO !    Do I want to be?  Hardly..

I

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

9/10 Undergrad degrees are becoming worthless.  In your situation, you're going to have to make a 'serious' change.  UC Davis is a pretty good school IMHO, away from the whole USC hype.  I wouldn't necessarily think getting bad marks to be a trigger to change majors.  Rather, you should've taken feeler courses.  EVERYONE runs into these situations, and that's always going to be a personal learning experience.

I've graduated w/ a Finance Degree.  But in my process, I tried Accounting (like they all say), and Business Management.  Accounting murdered me, and I felt like spending time w/ the Double Major was useless.  I got out of school and spent a 'year' looking for a job.  I've tried EVERYWHERE, in ALL INDUSTRIES, particularly banks, real estate (it was starting to tank), hotels, etc. etc. Eventually I started 'low', like they all do.  People shouldn't over think things and expect guaranteed jobs.  The rules of the game changed.

I eventually wound up in a bank (no not teller), even though I had always despised working at one.  I can say that I am currently learning more than I have ever !!  But I work hard, and in the past 2 years w/ all this down turn, I am one of the few remaining.  Once you get your foot in, just work hard.

But I discovered a lot about myself.  You have to do something that suits you and challenges you.  But if the core of your major/field is really that difficult, then you have to consider changing.  For me, I enjoy the markets, the financials and have the crave for it.  But in reality, I am not good w/ Debits/Credits, though I see this a necessity in the real world.  Could I be a CEO or MANAGER in the corporate world ? To be honest. NO !    Do I want to be?  Hardly..

I

I am in the same situation right now. What's your position at the bank?

Originally Posted by Money Making A

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

I

I am in the same situation right now. What's your position at the bank?

Treas.

You?

After a while things are routine, but things are always changing.  Jobs, tasks as well.  I feel like I've lost a lot of my knowledge and have to 'restudy' concepts and ideas.  There's two paths right now.  Either just do your job and do it good, or do your job and 'study' your field.  That is, studying in depth about your career/field. i.e. analysis, risk models, rates, curves, markets..

I am still on board because:

Insurance
Economic Times
Lack of Job Openings in Comparative fields.

I think the best advice for you is to realize that your grades are incredibly important, because no matter what career path that you eventually choose, whether it be in finance or engineering, your grades will govern your options. If you are interested in a career in finance, you should definetly apply for any internships that you can get. Employers in the financial services industry will not always put an emphasis on the relevant coursework you have completed, or even your major, but they will put a huge emphasis on your grades and your work expereince/skills. The reason I reccomend getting an internship is because that experience will help you to see if you even like working within that industry, and you will also learn more skills necessary to go further. But first and foremost, make sure that whatever you do, get your grades up. The job market is not very good right now, and unless you have good grades and/or good work expereince, it's going to be difficult to find a good entry level job out of college. If I have one regret from college, it was not working a little bit harder to get better grades. Best of luck...

Back
Top Bottom