NBA Legacy Thread, Update Resumes

If Shaq had a work ethic like LeBron, he coulda been the GOAT. Instead, he's on the outside of the Top 10, looking in.
Why do people think this? :lol:

He got drafted to a bad ORL team, he instantly makes them respectable.

They draft Penny in year 2 & immediately win 50 games.

Year 3 he catches Mike coming out of retirement & gets all the way to the finals. Eliminating Mike & getting to the finals in just your 3rd season is a HUGE accomplishment in & of itself. Are we seriously going to criticize him for not going on & eliminating the defending champs? He was supposed to eliminate Mike AND Dream in year 3?

Year 4 he runs into arguably the greatest team in the history of the sport.

Year 5 he follows the money and goes to LA. Averages 27/12/3 & 2 blocks for the next 3 years. 28/11/3 in the playoffs

Then Kobe matures, supporting cast improves & they run off 3 straight, becoming only the 2nd franchise since the merger to do that.

Again, he Jordan & Kobe are the only modern superstars to lead their teams to 3 in a row.

In the middle of that 3 peat, they also only lost ONE game the entire playoffs. Including going 12-0 against THREE 50 win teams, one of which was Duncan's Spurs.

Now we're in year 11, the Lakers supporting cast provided absolutely nothing the entire season, summed up perfectly by Horry's open missed 3 in G5. Lakers go down 3-2 & get eliminated in G6 after the supporting cast continued to stink it up.

Year 12 they try to reload with GP & Malone, except GP can't play in the triangle & Malone is now 40 & his body begins to betray him. A guy rolls into his knee & this time he suffers a serious injury. They end up getting dropped by one of the best defensive teams in the history of basketball. Shaq hangs 27 a game on one of the best defensive players in the history of the sport.

Year 13 he goes to Miami. Wade severely injures his rib in G5, has to sit out game 6 of the conference finals, returns in G7 looking like a shell of himself & Miami gets eliminated.

Year 14 Wade never gets hurt, they beat Detroit & go on to win the title.

At this point he's 33 years old. 4 rings, career 27/12/3 & 2.5 blocks, spearheaded the only post-merger 3-peat since Jordan, spearheaded the greatest playoff run ever, back to back 30 point, 15 rebound AVERAGES in the playoffs which culminated in championships.

What more was he supposed to accomplish at this point in his career? Who beat him that wasn't supposed to?

From 34-38, he was still pretty decent. 14/8 w/ a few blocks. Are we gonna criticize his longevity doesn't stack up to KAJ?

Bird, Magic, & Mike only played 13 seasons with Boston, Chicago, & LA, respectively.

Last edited:
Why do people think this?
laugh.gif

Year 3 he catches Mike coming out of retirement & gets all the way to the finals. Eliminating Mike & getting to the finals in just your 3rd season is a HUGE accomplishment in & of itself. Are we seriously going to criticize him for not going on & eliminating the defending champs? He was supposed to eliminate Mike AND Dream in year 3?

Year 5 he follows the money and goes to LA. Averages 27/12/3 & 2 blocks for the next 3 years. 28/11/3 in the playoffs

Then Kobe matures, supporting cast improves & they run off 3 straight, becoming only the 2nd franchise since the merger to do that.

Again, he Jordan & Kobe are the only modern superstars to lead their teams to 3 in a row.

In the middle of that 3 peat, they also only lost ONE game the entire playoffs. Including going 12-0 against THREE 50 win teams, one of which was Duncan's Spurs.

Now we're in year 11, the Lakers supporting cast provided absolutely nothing the entire season, summed up perfectly by Horry's open missed 3 in G5. Lakers go down 3-2 & get eliminated in G6 after the supporting cast continued to stink it up.

Year 12 they try to reload with GP & Malone, except GP can't play in the triangle & Malone is now 40 & his body begins to betray him. A guy rolls into his knee & this time he suffers a serious injury. They end up getting dropped by one of the best defensive teams in the history of basketball. Shaq hangs 27 a game on one of the best defensive players in the history of the sport.

Year 13 he goes to Miami. Wade severely injures his rib in G5, has to sit out game 6 of the conference finals, returns in G7 looking like a shell of himself & Miami gets eliminated.

At this point he's 33 years old. 4 rings, career 27/12/3 & 2.5 blocks, spearheaded the only post-merger 3-peat since Jordan, spearheaded the greatest playoff run ever, back to back 30 point, 15 rebound AVERAGES in the playoffs which culminated in championships.

What more was he supposed to accomplish at this point in his career? Who beat him that wasn't supposed to?

From 34-38, he was still pretty decent. 14/8 w/ a few blocks. Are we gonna criticize his longevity doesn't stack up to KAJ?

Bird, Magic, & Mike only played 13 seasons with Boston, Chicago, & LA, respectively.
I'm not going to criticize Shaq because of all the reasons you just listed lol...he was a BEAST point blank.  For me it's more of a "what if?"  The 3 generational stars of the era I have followed basketball are MJ, Kobe and LBJ....no one ever really questioned their work ethic.  You know that they prepare.  The question I would have for Shaq would be what if he prepared the way these guys did???  In Orlando he was already a beast and he was lean.  In LA he still had the footwork and he could still move, but I think there were a couple of seasons where he came in out of shape...He had a great career, no doubt.  Who's to say that if he treated his body better he could have added a more productive season or two??? Again..completely agree with your points, just wondering what if??

If Shaq had a work ethic like LeBron, he coulda been the GOAT. Instead, he's on the outside of the Top 10, looking in.
Why do people think this? :lol:

Great post. Really well done.

But for counter sakes, I would bring up he missed just a shade under 4 full seasons of games. Many of them of his own choosing. (hence his clash with Kobe a lot)

And wherever he went, he was swept, repeatedly.

94 vs Indy
95 vs Hou
96 vs Chi
97 vs Utah was a 5 gamer
98 vs Utah
99 vs SA
04 vs Det was a 5 gamer
07 vs Chi
08 vs SA was a 5 gamer

Swept 6 times, and 3 gentlemen's sweeps. With 3 different franchises. (4 if you count the gent sweep in 08)

As big and dominant as he was, he never once led the league in rebounding. He never once made the All Defense First Team.

He was incredible, and one of the most dominant athletes in history, but looking at those facts, did he not leave "a little" something on the table? Is that not fair? He could/should have won some rebounding titles. He shouldn't have been swept so many times. He could/should have been a better defender. And he shouldn't have taken so many days off, on purpose.

He's a top 10 all time player, IMO, who could/should have been top 3.

But for counter sakes, I would bring up he missed just a shade under 4 full seasons of games. Many of them of his own choosing. (hence his clash with Kobe a lot)

94 vs Indy
95 vs Hou
96 vs Chi
97 vs Utah was a 5 gamer
98 vs Utah
99 vs SA
04 vs Det was a 5 gamer
07 vs Chi
08 vs SA was a 5 gamer

Swept 6 times, and 3 gentlemen's sweeps. With 3 different franchises. (4 if you count the gent sweep in 08)

As big and dominant as he was, he never once led the league in rebounding. He never once made the All Defense First Team.

He was incredible, and one of the most dominant athletes in history, but looking at those facts, did he not leave "a little" something on the table? Is that not fair? He could/should have won some rebounding titles. He shouldn't have been swept so many times. He could/should have been a better defender. And he shouldn't have taken so many days off, on purpose.

Correct on all points. Very well said.

My (only) gripe with Shaq isn't that his peak should have been more stable/dominant than it was. Had he consistently been around the right weight/condition his peak years extend better through 2006 than they did.

Last edited:

94 vs Indy
95 vs Hou
96 vs Chi
97 vs Utah was a 5 gamer
98 vs Utah
99 vs SA
04 vs Det was a 5 gamer
07 vs Chi
08 vs SA was a 5 gamer

That's how I feel. If Shaq kept himself in better shape his peak woulda lasted longer. If he did that the Lakers probably woulda chose him over Kobe. Jerry Bus probably gave Shaq that deal he wanted if it wasn't a question about him staying in shape. Look at Wilt, that man stayed in the gym.

Late Wilt

Late Shaq

Last edited:
Kukoc was trash bro. I remember they were saying he was the euro version of Jordan.

Career avg's

11.6 pg 4.0 rpg 3.7 apg

^^I dont consider that very good. Only think you can say is he lasted 11 seasons in the league.
Seriously? "Trash"?? 
eyes.gif

His averages were obviously affected by him being on an ultra stacked Bulls team, where he didn't play as many minutes as he would on a poor or an average team. Ron Harper literally went from being a 20 ppg scorer with the Clippers to a measly 7 ppg when he joined the Bulls because of these reasons.

Kukoc's averages in the 98-99 season after Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Phil Jackson left and he had the Bulls all to himself:

18.8 ppg

7.0 rpg

5.3 apg

At the age of 30, where he might've been slightly past his prime. And this was a player who was cosidered a what, fourth best player on those championship Bulls teams. A distant fourth best after the big 3, along with Ron Harper. Was Kukoc a superstar franchise player who could carry a franchise? No. But he was a damn good player.

Last edited:
Kukoc had to sacrifice his game to fit into the system. Same with Ron Harper. They were both legit scorers. Stats don't mean everything

^^^^^Soild player? Maybe, but like I said, before he came over, he was the European MJ. Even after his days with the bulls, he never lived up to the hype >D

Last edited:
More based on KG having everything you could ever want in a player except for the drive/will to consistently takeover the game.

He's certainly the more talented player but all that energy he expounded on defense would have been better served on the other end of the court a lot of the time. He never wanted the responsibility of carrying a team offsenviely which is a pretty serious demerit for me.

Cause good offense will always beat good defense. And he could score on anybody, anyway. He just never really did.

Checkin to see if this baby survived the move......

Now seein the last page, I really gotta sit down and think about KG/Dirk one of these days. I dunno if there's a wrong answer (or a right one) but I gotta figure out how I feel about both. I feel like KG is the better overall player, but Dirk was the better offensive talent. Kinda have to lean KG, until I remember the final 90 seconds of games and Dirk wanting that ball, and KG wanting to set screens......Webber was like that too.

Iono

For me KG and Dirk is a push. Both had great games, but the lack of Defense from Dirk, even out with the better offensive he had. KG better defender, not as offensively skilled as DIRK. Both Top 20 players in the NBA of all time IMO.

Back
Top Bottom