NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Pau was clutch in the playoffs.

Like vs Denver in game 5.
No, he's white tall and European, he CAN'T be clutch.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
No, remember... He's soft and a choker because henever played with another star before he got shipped to LA to play with Kobe...

It's insane what playing with another legitimate all-star can do for a guy's perception...
eyes.gif

Pau Gasol is a great player. I would like to see him be the main guy once again though. Like I said he's the perfect 2nd option, but if he's sogreat he could be a franchise player.

I'm not going to back out of my perception of him having questionable toughness. I've seen him play since he came into the league. I've seen himin the Olympics and I've seen him in quite a few games in LAL. His toughness is questionable and it doesn't have anything to do with him beingEuropean.

Players' Union Doubts Cap Will Drop 5%

Jul 15, 2009 4:07 PM EST

Fearing an economic climate even worse than expected, some NBA owners believe that the worst-case projection of a 5 percent drop in the salary cap next yearmay be too optimistic.

But as the league and union prepare to enter into a new round of labor negotiations, the union head Billy Hunter is not yet conceding the legitimacy of theleague's projection of a 2.5 percent to 5 percent drop in the cap.

"If it later turns out that the league did not have a good-faith basis for making these projections, the N.B.P.A. will pursue all available legalremedies, including a treble damages claim for collusion," Hunter said.

Via New York Times

General Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bosh: 'I Love Toronto And Toronto Loves Me'
Jul 15, 2009 3:11 PM EST

It is looking more and more unlikely that Chris Bosh will leave the Raptors as a free agent next summer.

Tim Cowlishaw of The Dallas Morning News spoke with Bosh at the player's basketball camp in Texas on Tuesday.

"It probably took me two or three years, but I went there when I was 19," said Bosh. "I was fresh out of college. I was used to roommates andguys knocking on the door, saying where the frat party was.

"But I love Toronto. And Toronto loves me."

The Raptors would love to keep Bosh, who they could give an extension in the next week.

Via Dallas Morning News

Toronto Raptors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rubio Coming To Accept Minnesota?
Jul 15, 2009 10:12 PM EST

Ricky Rubio seems to have accepted that if he plays in the NBA, it will be in Minnesota as a member of the Timberwolves.

The main obstacle to the Spanish point guard making his way to the U.S. is the large buyout attached to his current contract.

Via Marca.com

Minnesota Timberwolves

Pacers, McRoberts Haven't Agreed On Terms
Jul 15, 2009 7:43 PM EST

Contrary to a report on Wednesday, the Pacers and forward Josh McRoberts have not agreed to terms on a new contract.

McRoberts' agent, Bob Myers, reportedly told the Associated Press that his client had agreed in principle to terms with Indiana.

However, Pacers general manager David Morway told RealGM on Wednesday night that no such agreement had been reached with the restricted free agent.

"Not yet, but we're close," Morway said via text message.

Via Andrew Perna/RealGM

Indiana Pacers

Felton, Bobcats Far Apart On Contract Talks
Jul 15, 2009 6:25 PM EST

Raymond Felton's agent Kevin Bradbury left a meeting with Charlotte general manager Rod Higgins disappointed and far apart in negotiations.

"We're definitely not close as far as what we're discussing and what we think fair market (value) is for Raymond," Bradbury said Wednesday, aday after the meeting.

While Bradbury declined to discuss numbers, he indicated there was a surprisingly significant difference in the deals he and Higgins proposed for therestricted free agent point guard.

Bradbury said both sides remain interested in a lengthy contract.

"At this point I'm not as encouraged as I was a day ago or even a week ago, but that doesn't mean that it can't get done," Bradbury said."We just have to keep talking."

Via Canadian Press

Charlotte Bobcats

Dunleavy Confirms Clippers' Interest In A.I.
Jul 15, 2009 3:51 PM EST

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy has confirmed that the team is interested in signing free-agent guard Allen Iverson.

However, Dunleavy refused to elaborate on any future plans regarding Iverson.

Talks between the Clippers and Iverson have been described as "very serious," and sources claim that Los Angeles wants to sit down with the guardbefore making a final decision.

Via Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Clippers

Source: Iverson Unlikely To Join Memphis
Jul 15, 2009 3:45 PM EST

The Grizzlies have been linked to free-agent guard Allen Iverson, but it appears very unlikely that the club will sign the future Hall of Famer.

A team insider said "don't hold your breath" when asked by the Memphis Commercial Appeal if Iverson would eventually sign with the Grizzlies.

Via Memphis Commercial Appeal

Memphis Grizzlies

Agent: Pacers, McRoberts Agree To Terms
Jul 15, 2009 3:42 PM EST

The Pacers will re-sign forward Josh McRoberts, according to the player's agent.

Agent Bob Myers told the Associated Press in an e-mail on Wednesday that the two sides had agreed to terms in principle.

The teams of the deal were not yet known.

Via Yahoo! Sports

Indiana Pacers

Pistons Aren't Interested In Stackhouse
Jul 15, 2009 3:39 PM EST

The Pistons aren't among the teams interested in free-agent swingman Jerry Stackhouse.

Detroit is looking to get younger and is in need of a big man.

"Hey, I would have loved (going back to Detroit)," Stackhouse told The Detroit News. "But I don't think they were interested. They aremoving in a different direction. They wanted younger. You know I had a list of teams who were interested in me and I was hoping Detroit would be one of them,but they are more in position to want to bring in the young guys and let them play rather than contending."

Stackhouse said he wants to play next season, and he'll never forget his time in Detroit.

"I wanted to return because of the relationship with the city and the people and the way they interacted with me," he said. "I think that wasthe biggest thing.

"People still remember me for what I did in Detroit because this is where I had the highlight of my abilities. I even felt very honored when I made theall-time Piston team as a player and all that stuff. That meant a lot to me."

Via Detroit News

Detroit Pistons

May Thinks He's A Good Fit For Portland
Jul 15, 2009 3:34 PM EST

The Trail Blazers worked out free-agent forward Sean May on Tuesday at a UNLV campus practice court.

May plans to work out for the Blazers, Kings, Clippers and Cavaliers by the time the week is over.

Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard said that the 6-foot-9 forward "did a nice job" during the workout.

Pritchard added that May shouldn't be viewed as a fallback plan in the event the Blazers miss out on Paul Millsap.

"Don't read anything into that," he said. "We just want to take a look at a lot of guys. That's what summer league's for; that'swhat the summer's about. Nate and I have always wanted to take a look at as many guys as we can."

May, meanwhile, believes that Portland would be a good fit.

"Both workouts went really well," he said. "Portland was really good and I like their staff a lot. I think they like me. I think they can see itfitting. Right now, I'm fighting for my career, to get my career back on track. I think they notice that. I'm in the best shape of my life. I feelgreat, I move great, the workout went well and I shot the ball well. I think they like that."

Via Oregonian

Portland Trail Blazers

Ainge Thinks Celtics Are Better Than Ever
Jul 15, 2009 3:27 PM EST

Celtics president Danny Ainge believes that the current incarnation of his team is better than the one that won the 2008 NBA title.

"Yes, definitely I think we're a better team now," Ainge said Tuesday.

Since Boston won the title two seasons ago, Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins have improved and the team has signed Rasheed Wallace.

"I think Rondo and Perkins' improvement has been dramatic," said Ainge, who added: "I do feel an enthusiasm again. People are excited likethey were two summers ago."

Via Boston Globe

Boston Celtics

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Originally Posted by franchise3

Dirk you get the GC yet? Or am I gonna have to sue the post office?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Yeah, I got it a couple days ago...

Cool note on the envelope...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[h1]Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 31 minutes ago
y_sports-hi.png

LAS VEGAS - Pat Riley has listened to Dwyane Wade(notes) express his unease with the Miami Heat sitting out the Eastern Conference's arms race this summer. As the Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic elevated themselves as championship contenders, the Heat president sold his superstar on patience, promising a plan to surround him with talent for the long run.

Now, the Heat are working furiously to deliver Lamar Odom(notes) and Carlos Boozer(notes) to the shores of Biscayne Bay. The Heat are trying to sell Odom on a five-year, $34 million contract at the mid-level exception, and a league executive with knowledge of the talks says Miami has also hatched a three-way proposal with the Utah Jazz and Memphis Grizzlies to secure Boozer.

The essentials of a possible deal would include Miami sending forward Udonis Haslem(notes) and Dorrell Wright to Utah. Because Memphis is under the cap, Utah could move Wright's $2.8 million salary to the Grizzlies and save itself approximately $5.6 million with salary and luxury-tax payments. Memphis would probably get cash and picks for its trouble. The Heat would have to send one more small contract to make the math on the salary exchange work.

Miami could pay Boozer his $12.7 million salary this season and own his Bird rights to sign him to an extension next summer.

The deal isn't considered imminent, but the Jazz are working hard to find a suitable trade for Boozer. Utah is determined to match the Portland Trail Blazers' $32 million offer sheet for restricted free agent Paul Millsap(notes). Utah has until the end of the week to match or lose the young power forward to the Blazers. Most league executives believe that Utah will match the offer, regardless of whether they've moved Boozer.

Portland is still trying to pry Tayshaun Prince(notes) out of Detroit in a three-way deal with Utah, but Pistons president Joe Dumars hasn't shown an inclination to move Prince and extend Boozer's contract, league sources say. Several league executives are dubious of Boozer as a $14 million-a-year player, which his agent, Rob Pelinka, has told teams it will take to sign him to an extension. Miami could be the suitor willing to pay it.

The Los Angeles Lakers' standoff with Odom is still fluid, but a source close to Odom insists he would probably only leave L.A. for Miami, not the Dallas Mavericks, who are also pursuing him. Odom's agent is trying to get a five-year, $45 million deal out of the Lakers, who have offered four years and $36 million.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports.

If Riley can pull this off without giving up Beasley
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by WILLINC

[h1]Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 31 minutes ago
y_sports-hi.png

LAS VEGAS - Pat Riley has listened to Dwyane Wade(notes) express his unease with the Miami Heat sitting out the Eastern Conference's arms race this summer. As the Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic elevated themselves as championship contenders, the Heat president sold his superstar on patience, promising a plan to surround him with talent for the long run.

Now, the Heat are working furiously to deliver Lamar Odom(notes) and Carlos Boozer(notes) to the shores of Biscayne Bay. The Heat are trying to sell Odom on a five-year, $34 million contract at the mid-level exception, and a league executive with knowledge of the talks says Miami has also hatched a three-way proposal with the Utah Jazz and Memphis Grizzlies to secure Boozer.

The essentials of a possible deal would include Miami sending forward Udonis Haslem(notes) and Dorrell Wright to Utah. Because Memphis is under the cap, Utah could move Wright's $2.8 million salary to the Grizzlies and save itself approximately $5.6 million with salary and luxury-tax payments. Memphis would probably get cash and picks for its trouble. The Heat would have to send one more small contract to make the math on the salary exchange work.

Miami could pay Boozer his $12.7 million salary this season and own his Bird rights to sign him to an extension next summer.

The deal isn't considered imminent, but the Jazz are working hard to find a suitable trade for Boozer. Utah is determined to match the Portland Trail Blazers' $32 million offer sheet for restricted free agent Paul Millsap(notes). Utah has until the end of the week to match or lose the young power forward to the Blazers. Most league executives believe that Utah will match the offer, regardless of whether they've moved Boozer.

Portland is still trying to pry Tayshaun Prince(notes) out of Detroit in a three-way deal with Utah, but Pistons president Joe Dumars hasn't shown an inclination to move Prince and extend Boozer's contract, league sources say. Several league executives are dubious of Boozer as a $14 million-a-year player, which his agent, Rob Pelinka, has told teams it will take to sign him to an extension. Miami could be the suitor willing to pay it.

The Los Angeles Lakers' standoff with Odom is still fluid, but a source close to Odom insists he would probably only leave L.A. for Miami, not the Dallas Mavericks, who are also pursuing him. Odom's agent is trying to get a five-year, $45 million deal out of the Lakers, who have offered four years and $36 million.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports.
If Riley can pull this off without giving up Beasley
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Heat will throw themselves right into the ECF talks...

i think Odom had his best seasons in MIA. Him and Wade played well together - LA practically stole him from MIA for an aging/slower Shaq (eventhough MIAeventually won a title)

Getting Odom + Boozer would be a big time score to please DWade. And make things interesting out East.

Dirk
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

wouldnt we be too stacked at the PF??? why in the hell is Riley so much in love with fowards?
moon
jones
diawara
beasley
odom?
boozer?
edit: and J.O.

Out of the forwards you just named...the 3 more important ones, LO, Boozer and Beasley all have different games.

The versatility of LO is quite an intangible. Boozer, more of a banger than Beasley allows for difficult matchups in a half court offense.

Back
Top Bottom