Neil DeGrasse Tyson's 'Disturbing Thought'

Anything controlled by humans will have an agenda, including science. Many theories are thrown out the window simply because of politics and money.

Originally Posted by yngSIMBA

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

That doesn't make the millions of abandoned theories, which people treasured as the "scientific gospel" any less ludicrous or false.

And interpretations and understandings of religions are constantly being updated but of course those who seek to promote "western science" as the be all and end all of truth, will never recognize that.
What is "scientific gospel"? Science inherently challenges itself to better understand the world. How does religion challenge itself? How does religion react when others challenge it? Science never claims absolute truth or certainty. Religion does. Science has no problem discarding or updating held understandings of the world when new discoveries present themselves. What of religion? It's been two thousand some years since the major religions came into play. Where is the evidence? We have a couple pretty interesting storybooks but what else?

I try not to put off peoples religion, but it seems they cant even respect views of non-believers, and i agree with Boys Noize 
Science >

grin.gif

What I hope is no not lost in all of this is the irony that the man who is on an intellectual pursuit through scientific research and experimentation ultimately ends up having the most humbling of thoughts. Meanwhile, the "meek" religious individuals seem to have an air of arrogance about themselves and their beliefs. At least that's how I perceive it.

He was money on Real Time with Bill Maher last Friday. I hope they bring him back a few more times.

SOMEONE PLEASE EMBED!

I hate how I grew up in an environment where nobody could put me on to something like the Cosmos.  Not knowing about this earlier in my life makes me feel like I missed out on something.  I'm going to watch the original series when I get some time.  I damned sure will be watching the sequel when it comes out. 

Back
Top Bottom