NETS OFF-SEASON THREAD - Nets on the hunt for moose and squrriel

Home opener
smokin.gif
We don't have to wait long at all for VC's return

The start of the season is tough though, thats about 3-4 wins in the 1st 8 games.

Good blog from the Sez today -

Sussman Sez Blog
Stand By Me

There it is…no need to wait…no need to wonder…opening night, 8:00 PM (notice the Friday night start times)…the man who has rendered the V-C-33333 toothless(and let me state publicly…if the esteemed voice of the O'Towners, Paul Porter, decides to incorporate that call into his lexicon, I will inflict a HulkHogan-like…well, maybe Brooke Hogan-like…body slam when we visit the Magic Kingdom, but I digress) from Daytona, No. 15, Vince Carter. And as Nets fans (andaren't we all…through good times and those that could be better) there are two things that you should do that evening. One, you should traverse the NJhighways (no trains for you!) and make your way to the Swamp for a seat, and second, when you are in that seat, and Vince is introduced first (I looked intothe mirror and got some information from the PA guy), you should stand up and cheer, a vociferous standing 8 count for a great Net.

Great Net! What kind of shill are you?...Nets this! Well, that's why this is America, where we can have a reasonable discussion pertaining to such astatement, after which time you will either rip me for my unabashed partisanship, or sing the praises of the research done by summer intern Bennie Gillespie,who will earn lunch at one of our sponsors, where he gets a 10% discount. Because I am devoid of emotion on this. I am Jack Webb (that would be Dragnet for theyoung readers). Only the facts. And the facts say 'Great Net'.

The year…2004-05…Vince acquired by trade in December, and proceeds to throw down 23 30+ games (team record), five 40+ games (ties team record), became thefirst Net in 26 years to record back-to-back and belly to belly 40 point games, averaged 27.5 (highest in franchise history) and with J Kidd at the helm,carried a Nets team on his back to a 7-1 closing push to gain the eighth and final spot in the playoffs. Just the facts.

The following season, averaged 24.2, set a new franchise scoring mark with 1,911 points, Eastern Conference Player of the Month for December, seventh All-Stargame appearance and the fellas win 49 games and the Atlantic Division title, falling to Miami in the EC semifinals.

In 2006-07, Vince broke his own scoring mark with 2,070 points, averaging 25.2 points, and the next year, tallied his 15,000th career point, third fastestactive player to accomplish that milestone.

But besides those statistical feats, the reason that you should stand up proud… raise you hands and voices to the roof… is for the maturity and professionalismthat he displayed last year…when Vince refused to mail it in, refused to sulk, refused to give in, and refused to uphold the superstar credo on a losing team(who's got my back?...my bags are packed). Vince came to play, gave the fans their money's worth, mentored the young players…he Captained the team frombeginning to end. And now he has a legit shot at an NBA title.

The memories are numerous…the game winning shots against Toronto (twice),Utah and Atlanta. The highlights (two faves…the spin 360 in the lane against theLakers and the dunk on 'Zo in Miami…but talk amongst yourselves). And on this night, you can show your class and appreciation. Only one letter in thealphabet will do. O. As in standing O. And then you can relax and wait for the t-shirt toss.

pimp.gif

Great piece. Read it earlier while on the site.

It is amazing after what JKidd did for the franchise and the two trips to the NBA finals that I feel I am more inclined to thank VC with a great ovation onopening night than that Scumbag we called a great player for our franchise.

Whether or not VC was the same way (He cheered when they told him at his charity event that he was traded, before he knew the location.)

He did not come out like Kidd did. Kidd did not deserve that extension at his age.

Yes Dallas has been to the playoffs with Kidd but they have not even been close to what Kidd did in Jersey.

I respect Kidd for what he did for the franchise and as a player but his ego irritates me to the point that I want to smack him around like he did Jumana.

I got you a ticket for a home game in december, let me know and I will try to get one.
Sweet. I'll let you know.
pimp.gif

Oh, and Yi sprained his foot in practice.

It's supposedly not a serious injury.

Al Iannazzone's predictions for our season. Seems like a fair assessment to me. I wouldn't really be impressed with it, if it happens to end this way,though.

[h3]Breaking Down the Schedule[/h3]
We're going to try and make this an annual thing. So just like last year, here is my Nets' analysis one day after the NBA released its schedule.

It's hard to really know what to expect with so many new faces, what type of years Devin Harris and Brook Lopez will have without Vince Carter and whether Yi Jianlian will show improvement. Then again, we really didn't know what to expect from last year's team. That said, I predicted 34-38 wins last year, so I would pay attention here.

The Nets' open 2009-10 on Oct. 28 in Minnesota against Jonny Flynn, whom they coveted in the draft, and perhaps in former YES analyst Mark Jackson's coaching debut... and away they go.

OCTOBER

Two of the Nets' first three games are against teams that had worse records than they had last season so that could be a good thing.

I could see the Nets winning their opener at Minnesota simply because they want to prove they can a win after all that will have been written and said aboutthem. It will be the only time they're above .500 all season because they fall in Carter's return in the Oct. 30 home opener and then the followingnight in D.C., especially if Washington's Big Three are healthy.

Home games: Magic
Road games: At Minnesota, Washington

RECORD: 1-2/0-3

NOVEMBER

Not an easy month, but I could and probably will start each month that way.

They play only two teams that had worse records than the Nets had last year. Six of their first seven games are against teams that were in the playoffs lastyear, including three that won at least 54 games. Then they end the month with the annual Thanksgiving Week trip. Three of the four games are against teamsthat won at least 54 games and one is the defending champion Lakers.

If the Nets don't get some of those what you might consider toss-up games - at Charlotte, against Indiana, at Milwaukee, against the Knicks and at theKings - the Nets could be out of the playoff race before December starts.

Home games: Nuggets, Celtics, Sixers, Pacers, Knicks

Road games: At Charlotte, Philadelphia, Orlando, Miami, Milwaukee, Denver, Portland, Sacramento, Lakers

RECORD: 5-9/3-11

DECEMBER

Sixty percent of their games - or nine - are at home this month, but if the Nets play at the Meadowlands like they did last year it won't matter if 100percent of their games are at home. Last year they played 10-of-16 in Izod in December and were 2-8 at home.

Just like last year, Jason Kidd returns in December, but the Lakers also make their only visit here. Our guess is the Lakers' Saturdaynight game draws a larger crowd than Kidd's Wednesday visit and the Nets won't stay in either game too long.

Overall, December is not a bad month, especially when you consider what lies ahead. The Nets could win some games (against Charlotte, Golden State, NewYork, Minnesota, Oklahoma City and Houston) and could steal a road game (at New York, Indiana). If they protect home it won't be as bad an end of 2009 assome might expect.

Home games: Mavericks, Bobcats, Warriors, Jazz, Lakers, T-Wolves, Rockets, Thunder, Knicks
Road games: At New York, Philly, Chicago, Toronto, Indiana, Charlotte, Detroit.

RECORD: 6-10/5-11

JANUARY

Not an easy month.

They open at home against Cleveland, have a tough three-game trip and tough four-game trip, with six of those road games against the West, including theSpurs, Hornets, Suns and Jazz. The one East road game is at Atlanta. The Nets have to lift their games and hope some of these teams take a night off becausethey see a "sure win" coming in.

Home: Cavaliers, Bucks, Celtics, Pacers, Clippers. Wizards, Sixers
Road: At Atlanta, New Orleans, San Antonio, Clippers, Phoenix, Golden State, Utah

RECORD: 4/10/3-11

FEBRUARY

Might be the toughest month, but once the trade deadline arrives and the Nets jettison most of their players they can play free and easy the rest of theway. That's how the Nets should play all the time since little is expected of them.

The Nets play at Boston twice and at Cleveland once. Put them down for three losses there. They also play at Toronto, which has improved, and won't have19,000 people chanting "VC S*cks!" I will miss that. There are some winnable home games, but that's if the Nets embrace playing at homein front of 6,000 fans. Let's not use that as an excuse either if they lose.

Home games: Pistons, Bucks, Heat, Raptors, Grizzlies, Blazers, Wizards
Road games: At Toronto, Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Charlotte, Boston

RECORD: 3-10

MARCH

OK, this really could be their toughest month.

The Nets open at home against Carter and then LeBron before a five-game trip with stops in New York, Memphis, Dallas, Oklahoma City andHouston. (Some winnable games) They play seven of their last nine games of the month at home, but in there are the Raptors, Heat, Spurs and Suns. Looking athow April comes in and out it's possible the Nets will end the year on a long losing streak.

Home: Cavaliers, Magic, Hawks, Raptors, Heat, Kings, Pistons, Spurs, Suns
Road: At New York, Memphis, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Houston, Philadelphia, Chicago

RECORD: 4-12

APRIL

Six of the Nets' final seven games could be against teams fighting for a playoff spot or seeding. The other game is against the Bucks. What will theNets have left at this point mentally more so than physically? Coach Lawrence Frank will push them hard because he'll want to end theseason - and perhaps his Nets' coaching career - on a good note.

Home games: Hornets, Bulls, Bobcats
Road games: At Washington, Milwaukee, Indiana, Miami

RECORD: 3-4

The Nets' two worst 82-game finishes were 17-65 and 19-63. They could challenge those, but our guess is they reach the 20-win mark. There are plenty ofplayers in the final years of their contracts that could be playing to get paid and that will raise their games. So there's a reason for optimism.

But the way we see it the Nets probably will win a game or two here and there that wasn't expected and will lose several that we didn't foresee.Just keep this in mind....With the first pick in the 2010 NBA Draft the Nets select John Wall of the University of Kentucky (if he comes out and if they keepit).

RECORD: 22-26 wins

http://njmg.typepad.com/z...g-down-the-schedule.html

I hope we can go out this year with the young guys and they can learn.
Twill, Lee, CDR, Yi and Brook all have a lot to learn. I'm going to get league pass to watch more games. So i can see my team.

Hopefully Vince gets cheered on his return.

Why did we give Eddie that big contract
smh.gif
? Hopefully Twill starts at the 3 and is competition for ROY.

The middle of the season are record just gets
sick.gif
Its expected, just as long as the young guys learn & develop through this season (long season).

Originally Posted by NobleKane

so anyone think devin harris will lead the league in scoring next year? lol
laugh.gif
Definitely a top 10 scorer next season. I'mpredicting around 25 ppg from him.

Originally Posted by Tony Starks

I can't think of 5 teams worse than us right now.

Minny Bucks Knicks(if lee and nate don't return) Indiana PHX(when they trade amare) OKC Memphis Rockets I think will all be worse then us, maybe detroit.What do you guys think Terrenace's role will be on the team next year?

We will see when the season starts.

The Nets have the pieces in place that are most important.

Another year together will not hurt. but 25 to 30 sounds right and AL said we would win 34 last year.

I trust him especially as our main beat writer.

I do not think this offense centers around Devin now. Lawrence made hints that this team is getting rid of the dribble drive and our running game will be back.But they are talking as if Brook will be the focal point of the offense.

I touched on it a few weeks ago, once we got Carter, our running game went out the window somewhat due to his half court game.

Devin will be around top ten in scoring I believe but will see improved passing, leadership, and defense which was not seen at all last year. I do feel we willsee injuries again and maybe a few less turnovers in the fourth quarter.

Twill will be a bench player around 10th to 12th on the bench.

By February, he should be in the starting lineup in my eyes. Next year it is looking like the rotation will be come opening night in Minny

Lopez
YI
Hayes (They are saying he will have a bigger role)
Lee
Harris

The Bench is difficult because of who we have

dooling
CDR
Twill
Simmons
Sean Williams
Josh Boone
Tony Battie
Skip
Najera

I have a feeling Opie will go to the vets first and then go to the young guys come the second half of the year.

Eddie was a bad signing but he is a vocal player and Good Vet (Just has to stop shooting threes)

Wonder what we do with Dooling and Skip. Dooling although an undersized 2 might shove CDR over to the 3 then simmons is are 4th three. Battie can help Joshbecause I see them having same career. Hopefully Twill will get into the rotation by December. I'm a huge fan.
laugh.gif

Devin/Skip
Lee/Dooling/Twill
Hayes/CDR/Najera/Simmons
Yi/Sean/Najera
Brook/Josh/Battie

Boone is who he is.

Those double doubles were inflated due to having Sean playing alongside him for those stretch of games 2 years back and letting Boone roam more with Sean'sShot Blocking Ability. Battie will be the backup unless Boone comes more focused this year (he also is playing for a contract, keep that in mind as well)

Sean is a lame duck as much as Lawrence. Sean needs to wow the staff and Management to even be the 12th man let alone in the rotation.

Dooling had hip surgery and if you want to read between the lines, I think asking for Skip in the trade shows he will not be ready for the start of the season.

Twill will get PT but like I said eariler, how much early on compared to later will be the key.

And as much as everyone in this thread knows HOW MUCH I ADORE BOBBY SIMMONS.........lol, He still was in the top ten for three point percentage to end the yearand actually was pretty good off the bench at Power Forward last year. He had more double digit games off the bench than he did as a starter.

Yes, Lawrence has turned a page as a coach and has allowed the Rookies to play more (Only because he has to though, we had one starting come december.) But hestill depends on his veterans ALOT.

He made it known last year that he gave in to the others in the organization who told him to play the younger guys more. YI can be debated come the second halfdue to his injury but it was also due to how bad he was playing.

Look at Ryan Anderson and CDR from last year.

Ryan was in the rotation early due to Najera's first of many injuries and was very effective. Led the league in three point percentage, had a role on thebench, etc. Then Eddie came back which put the rookie on the bench. Then they worked his shot over because his release was to slow. That did not work. Heslumped and hit the wall in January and he was not himself again to about the final 5 games when he was starting most of the month of april.

CDR, who was hurt for the first month, came in for like a minute, maybe two at the end of quarters till about February, then he was a rotation guy and comemarch, he was scoring, slashing, playing good defense.

He will be 6'8 come training camp and still has only played the point for this Nets team.

Keep in mind everyone, we have gone from having only two point guards to having players that can play mulitple positions.

Lawrence has said he pictures Twill in the backcourt rather than SF due to his passing ability (which is better than Harris') Twill, CDR, DH, Dooling, Lee,Skip can all play the point position with DH, TWILL, Dooling, Lee, and CDR can play SG and CDR, TWILL, and Lee (he is 6'3 not 6'5 but they said theycould due to his defense) can play SF.

So has there been any word on what we want to do with Sean? I think he needs a Vet to take him under his wing and show him the way, he is defensive upsisde is
eek.gif
, and I think he'd be a very nice piece next to Brook and Yi because both of those players are offensive. I could see Sean being a poor man's Worm,which isn't that bad.

Vince will deservedly get an ovation on his return.

Skip....
sick.gif
Maybe being home will help his game. NOT.

Sean Williams is trash. I'm convinced he'll never "get it".

Boone, I've always liked his game. But injuries have just about killed his buzz.

B-Lo is going to be the most interesting guy to watch this year I think.

Because with all the new firepower, Frank has to be careful and make sure Brook still gets his touches....

Not saying he should be the main option on the team. But he definitely needs to get the rock.

Sneak - Sean has been working in Texas with Chris Bosh and Mo Ager at Bosh's training facility. (Weird group of guys but it is true and Bosh knows Seanfrom growing up in Texas)

Sean's problem is that he is a Kid. Not because of his age, I mean the way he acts. ALL THE TIME.

I met Sean at a bunch of the Nets events and he is one of the best NBA players to meet and be near. But that is because he is always acting childish. Iguarantee his problem at that phone store was a temper tantrum a 6 year old would get. That's Sean.

He needs to learn when that is okay and when he is playing, he needs to be a grown up.

SHUGES - be carefull, I do not want the injury bug to come over here being Mets fans and all so lets watch out for the two of us. lol.

Brook will get his touches. I do not think that should be a concern. I think the guard play is where Opie will screw up and screw someone out of PT.

Lawrence has no choice but to play the young guys now, that's all he has to work with. I just hope he uses them smart & in the right situations werethey can grow & learn. I say this because this is the prefect situation for all these young guys. There is no high expectations for this team, no pressure.The young guys can learn & develope & we can see who will be a part of our future & who will be sent out in the future. Even thought his season hasnot much pressure/improtance winning wise, it has pressure/importance in other ways.

I do not have Insider access anymore but Chad Ford just worte a piece stating we will have the most cap room next off-season.

Originally Posted by VC3FAN

I do not have Insider access anymore but Chad Ford just worte a piece stating we will have the most cap room next off-season.

I don't really care for 2010 off season, it won't be as interesting as we think. I also don't think we need to go after a big time free agent, justrole players. We won't need a center, small forward, shooting guard or a point. All we need is an ox at PF but I don't see where we would get that atin the free agent class. Now if we have a chance to get LeBron or Dwade then yeah I understand in going to grab them but with all our young guys I justdon't see us denting our future to heavily with making them take second fiddle after fighting for a starting spot this season. Who will we have on rosternext season? Devin CDR Twill Lee Hayes Eddie Brook All guaranteed, We just need a starting PF, and a back up center and back up PF. Just a lot of fill pieces.I'd like to see David Lee from NY but for his asking price hell no. maybe 5-6 Mil a year

I was just adding to the thread.

I also said in the title that this means nothing

I have said time and time again that Lebron is staying in cleveland, Wade is Miami or Chicago bound.

Hayes is gone after this season, Eddie has a big buyout, Dooling has a Buyout, Brook has a 2yr option (I think that will be picking that up
laugh.gif
)

Eddie and Dooling are not going to be here come next year. that could push us close to 30 mil in salary free.

But they have stated, maybe they will max out Brook after his rookie contract is done. YI also is going to be restricted. This year is key.

Again the cap is important for the reason of this team future not just the Lebron a thon.

Yeah I understand VC .. I just want us to be smart in 2010. No need to go crazy, max brook, CDR for 4 seasons at 13 mil. Yi for about 6-7 Mil, then grab ussome veteran role players that can still get up and down the court. Can't wait for the season.

How much do courtside seats cost? I want to make a trip out durring christmas and I want to sit courtside.

Hollywood seats would cost a thousand or so. Those are near the benches.

Across the court they are like 550 a game for the true courtside seats.

I wonder which team in the NBA has the cheapest court-side seats. I would've thought the Nets are among the least expensive. But yet, 550 doesn't soundthat cheap....

Like I said before, I would love to go to Nets games. But the journey is simply way too much of a hassle for me from where I live. On top of that, I work anevening schedule (same reason I can't make Mets games).

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

I don't really care for 2010 off season, it won't be as interesting as we think. I also don't think we need to go after a big time free agent, just role players. We won't need a center, small forward, shooting guard or a point. All we need is an ox at PF but I don't see where we would get that at in the free agent class. Now if we have a chance to get LeBron or Dwade then yeah I understand in going to grab them but with all our young guys I just don't see us denting our future to heavily with making them take second fiddle after fighting for a starting spot this season. Who will we have on roster next season? Devin CDR Twill Lee Hayes Eddie Brook All guaranteed, We just need a starting PF, and a back up center and back up PF. Just a lot of fill pieces. I'd like to see David Lee from NY but for his asking price hell no. maybe 5-6 Mil a year
I think the Nets have a lot of good, solid pieces right now. And what will probably happen is that a lot of guys will increase their value as theseason goes along. I can definitely see Thorn having a lot of potential pieces
for sign-and-trades in the summer of '10.....

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Originally Posted by Tony Starks

I can't think of 5 teams worse than us right now.

Minny Bucks Knicks(if lee and nate don't return) Indiana PHX(when they trade amare) OKC Memphis Rockets I think will all be worse then us, maybe detroit. What do you guys think Terrenace's role will be on the team next year?
Nope. Indy was better then you guys last season and adding Hansbrough and Dahntay Jones will make them better. OKC has some really good youngtalent and a lot of them have trying to snatch an 8 spot in the west. Memphis is incredibly underrated and from what I've been hearing their players havebeen looking much better from last season (most notable OJ, Mayo, and Gasol). And aslong as the Rockets keep playing D as well as they have they're stillgoing to be good.

The Pacers just missed the playoffs last year, and they still have the same talent around.

And if any of those West teams you mentioned (except for Houston) were in the East, they'd probably have a better chance of making the playoffs than us.

Who's Houston's best offensive player right now, Ariza? I think they're in the bottom 5 with us.

I don't think the Nets will be THAT bad this season.

I think they will hold their own and surprise a lot of teams when they come to play NJ.

Back
Top Bottom