New York City....home to overrated NBA players since...???

I caught some of this discussion on twitter earlier tonight....that being said, for as storied as some of the prep careers are for some LEGENDS in NYC hoops, alot of these guys just don't pan out on the next level for whatever the reason. You can look at a guy like Lamar Odom for example....he was compared toMagic Johnson, and for good reasons. If you saw him hoop in HS or at URI, you'd know that the hype was warranted. He's had a good NBA career, butlet's be honest....he has in NO WAY lived up to the expectations that people thought when he was drafted into the NBA. There have been some great playersto make it to the NBA out of NYC....Bob Cousy, Kareem, Tiny Archibald, etc....

then some guys with a lot of fanfare, but could generally be considered overrated or just didn't pan out...

Lamar Odom, Kenny Anderson, God Shamgod, Julius Hodge, Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, etc etc....

here's the complete list of guys from NY who have made the NBA...take a look for yourself. A lot of great players who came back in the day, but what'swith the recent drought? You'd think that there would be SOMEBODY from NY (in recent years) that would become a bonafide star and not have their careerturn to a sideshow or fizzle out.....

B-Ball Players fromNY

Out of all those people you listed only Lamar and Kenny were expected to be good. So I wouldn't call them overrated at all considering no one rated theother guys highly at all. I guess you can make a case for Cook, but even he still went 2nd round.

smh.gif

Damn dude, you know you opened up a can of worms right?

There's some people on here with some serious hatred for NY. This will become a NY bashing thread.
laugh.gif

Can't think of a recent player out of NY that's lived up to the hype.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Out of all those people you listed only Lamar and Kenny were expected to be good. So I wouldn't call them overrated at all considering no one rated the other guys highly at all. I guess you can make a case for Cook, but even he still went 2nd round.

True, but Omar Cook was highly touted coming out of CtK....if he put in one more year at St. John's, he would have definitely been a first round pick. Notto mention his freshman season was spectacular...anyways, what if I took out Cook and replaced him with Sebastian Telfair? Telfair is one of the top 3-5talents to EVER come out of the PSAL....

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

Damn dude, you know you opened up a can of worms right?

There's some people on here with some serious hatred for NY. This will become a NY bashing thread.
laugh.gif

Can't think of a recent player out of NY that's lived up to the hype.

laugh.gif
I wasn't even trying to open a can of worms....when dudes were talking about it earlier, I didn't have any sort of rebuttal....it's been awhile since there has been a NYC player who has lived up to the hype. NY gets a lot of press (and it's deserved due to the city's history w.basketball) due to the players that have come through various AAU teams, PSAL, the playground, etc....however, with as rich of a talent pool the city has, whyhasn't someone in recent years dominated the pro game? You got a small county outside of DC (PG County) that is turning out remarkable college/NBA talent,why the dry spell with NY which is ridiculously populated with dudes who eat, sleep, and breathe b-ball?

Sebastian Telfair the jury is still out on him, but he's had a horrible start so far in his career. Dude wasn't ready to go straight from high schoolto the nba, a year or 2 in college would have been better off.

Originally Posted by Notorious 858

Sebastian Telfair the jury is still out on him, but he's had a horrible start so far in his career. Dude wasn't ready to go straight from high school to the nba, a year or 2 in college would have been better off.
Do you really think the jury is still out on Telfair? This is his 6th year in the league, and he's headed on that journeyman path How muchtime are you willing to give him?....I used to defend him a few years back saying "just give him a little more time," but he is what he is....abackup PG at best.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

overrated players from a overrated horse +%+% state
You just mad it takes you 5 tries to spell "burough" right.

But yeah DoubleJs...it's been no secret there's been a # of recent NY talent that haven't met success in the NBA. NY has fallen short ofexpectations to produce star players, that's no lie. I wouldn't call most of them "overrated" though. Overrated would mean they would havedone something at that next level to be "rated" in the first place...but that usually doesn't occur.

sitv_latino%20sports_felipe%20lopez.jpg

smh.gif

They are def over hyped. I agree with doublej that bassy is at best a backup pg.
Also when i hear about guys from the rucker that never made it that would have changed the game.(but thats another subject).

so many people in nyc eat,breathe and sleep basketball and whenever a star is born he gets propped up to god status and is magnified because...its NYC. Ifhe doesnt exceed expectations it turns in to another referendum on the city because of how polarizing the culture has become. Its a double edged sword.

Ill agree nyc is home to so many has-beens but it's still farmed more nba players than any other city and it is still the basketball capitol of the world
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom