New York City....home to overrated NBA players since...???

^ c'mon son he moved to carolina when he was a toddler so he really is not from new york
laugh.gif

It seem like since around the Felipe Lopez era, NYC players have been more hype than skill...or maybe they get lazy on the next level. Baltimore and the DCarea has the most HS talent now.

I don't think its a matter of talent. I think its the outside things that cause the talented NYC player to not live up to his hype/expectations. Thingslike the entourage, the whole family tree, and complacency tend to take its toll on the player in question.

Spike Lee brought up an interesting point, when he said that MJ probably wouldn't have become MJ, had he not move to NC in his youth.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

I don't think its a matter of talent. I think its the outside things that cause the talented NYC player to not live up to his hype/expectations. Things like the entourage, the whole family tree, and complacency tend to take its toll on the player in question.

Spike Lee brought up an interesting point, when he said that MJ probably wouldn't have become MJ, had he not move to NC in his youth.
Whoa....never heard that before....that's an interesting POV from Spike. Makes you wonder....

Michael Jordan is from Brooklyn though..

that being said, how many New Yorkers actually CLAIM Jordan or Melo as one of their own?

IMO, being born there and moving isn't the same as growing up in the city......I think you'd be more willing to claim someone who moved to NY aroundthe age of 9 and spent the rest of their youth in the city, opposed to someone being born there but moving before they were 5 years old.

DoubleJs07 wrote:
I caught some of this discussion on twitter earlier tonight....that being said, for as storied as some of the prep careers are for some LEGENDS in NYC hoops, a lot of these guys just don't pan out on the next level for whatever the reason. You can look at a guy like Lamar Odom for example....he was compared to Magic Johnson, and for good reasons. If you saw him hoop in HS or at URI, you'd know that the hype was warranted. He's had a good NBA career, but let's be honest....he has in NO WAY lived up to the expectations that people thought when he was drafted into the NBA. There have been some great players to make it to the NBA out of NYC....Bob Cousy, Kareem, Tiny Archibald, etc....

then some guys with a lot of fanfare, but could generally be considered overrated or just didn't pan out...

Lamar Odom, Kenny Anderson, God Shamgod, Julius Hodge, Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, etc etc....

here's the complete list of guys from NY who have made the NBA...take a look for yourself. A lot of great players who came back in the day, but what's with the recent drought? You'd think that there would be SOMEBODY from NY (in recent years) that would become a bonafide star and not have their career turn to a sideshow or fizzle out.....

B-Ball Players from NY

michael_jordan_and_spike_lee_image.jpg

shutup

laugh.gif
@ 2 dudes claiming MJ for NY

Sit down

Good post and points by OP and others though. Really does make you think.

Originally Posted by BTK

DoubleJs07 wrote:
I caught some of this discussion on twitter earlier tonight....that being said, for as storied as some of the prep careers are for some LEGENDS in NYC hoops, a lot of these guys just don't pan out on the next level for whatever the reason. You can look at a guy like Lamar Odom for example....he was compared to Magic Johnson, and for good reasons. If you saw him hoop in HS or at URI, you'd know that the hype was warranted. He's had a good NBA career, but let's be honest....he has in NO WAY lived up to the expectations that people thought when he was drafted into the NBA. There have been some great players to make it to the NBA out of NYC....Bob Cousy, Kareem, Tiny Archibald, etc....

then some guys with a lot of fanfare, but could generally be considered overrated or just didn't pan out...

Lamar Odom, Kenny Anderson, God Shamgod, Julius Hodge, Omar Cook, Erick Barkley, etc etc....

here's the complete list of guys from NY who have made the NBA...take a look for yourself. A lot of great players who came back in the day, but what's with the recent drought? You'd think that there would be SOMEBODY from NY (in recent years) that would become a bonafide star and not have their career turn to a sideshow or fizzle out.....

B-Ball Players from NY

michael_jordan_and_spike_lee_image.jpg

shutup
laugh.gif
Good rebuttal...u really are dumb if you're going to claim MJ as a New Yorker....

I from NY and I always thought NY hasn't been that good in producing NBA talent. *Waits for someone from NY to come and claim Melo*

has there ever been a great BIG man coming out of there? it always seems like its hyped up guards, other than odom of course.

laugh.gif
People claiming MJ as if since he was born there being a New Yorker is in his DNA or something. #@%+
laugh.gif
Being from a certain city isn't like beingborn into a different race.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by iM COOL C

Michael Jordan is from Brooklyn though..

thats like saying Tupac is from new york.

But 2pac did say he was from New York, MTV interview not too long b4 his death, just saying, and MJ def has tried to on play to the BK thing in ads

Back
Top Bottom