New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
seeing what the jets just got would love to trade down to 5. 5 would be a good spot, who knows we could still get barkley at 5, if not nelson at 5 either way our offense is improved from day 1, broncos 2nd and 3rd round picks plus 1 next year?? man that would be sweet. we need broncos to love one of these QBs and i'll think we can get that haul and take gamble barkley falls to 5. with bills trying to trade up broncos could give that up. don't see how we can pass that up.

giants meet with Mason Rudolph. that would be a good for me, draft a QB round 2 with extra pick we pickup and let Rudolph and Webb fight it out next year or 2 and see who is the next QB. rather have 2 young QBs behind eli than a vet and webb again

Last edited:
How much better are the Giants after latest round of moves?
By Jordan Raanan

The early part of free agency produced more than a handful of moves for the New York Giants. These are going to be the headliners of their offseason, with likely only some minor tweaking remaining.

They believe they are better now than before as they attempt to rebound from a 3-13 season, especially with a competent left tackle. The signing of Nate Solder was undoubtedly the biggest of their moves.

It happens every year. Teams make moves in free agency and new almost always seems better. It just doesn't always work out that way. Free agency often proves to be fool's gold.

The Giants are hoping that is not the case for them this year. Taking a step back, have they really improved? If so, how much?

Let’s take a look, position by position:

OFFENSE

Quarterback – Same
The Giants have Eli Manning as the starter with Davis Webb as his backup. Not much has changed at this position aside from losing Geno Smith.

Running back – Worse
The Giants effectively traded Jonathan Stewart for Orleans Darkwa. Stewart is 31 years old and averaged 3.4 yards per carry last season. Darkwa is 26 years old and averaged 4.4 yards per carry. If the Giants offered the same deal they gave Stewart to Darkwa, he probably would be on the roster right now. Instead, the Giants’ offer to Darkwa wasn’t close.

Wide receiver – Same
Odell Beckham Jr., Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard, Roger Lewis and Dwayne Harris are the primary pieces. It's similar to last year, before all the injuries. Marshall and Harris are still on the roster, although I’m still expecting them to be released or have their contracts altered before all is said and done.

Tight end – Same
Evan Engram is the pass-catcher. Rhett Ellison is the blocker. Jerell Adams is the third option. Nothing has changed.

Offensive line – Better
Solder makes them appreciably better on the outside. They didn’t have a starting-caliber tackle on the roster last year. Solder is a proven, quality NFL left tackle. Those are hard to find. His arrival makes them better on the right side as well, even if by default with Ereck Flowers or Chad Wheeler over Bobby Hart.

But the Giants did take some hits. The market showed that Weston Richburg (five years, $47.5 million from San Francisco) and Justin Pugh (five years, $45 million from Arizona) were considered well-above-average starters. The Giants are replacing them with newly signed guard Patrick Omameh and tendered center Brett Jones. Omameh can play but he’s on his third team in four years. Pugh is the better player. Jones is also a downgrade from Richburg, in my estimation. Still, the acquisition of Solder alone makes the Giants' line better. They went from among the worst left tackle situations in the NFL to somewhere in the top 10. It should help everyone.

DEFENSE

Defensive line – Same
The Giants still have Damon Harrison, Dalvin Tomlinson, Olivier Vernon and Jason Pierre-Paul, depending on how you want to label the final two in James Bettcher’s new defense. They will need to add some depth, but that should come later.

Linebackers – Better
The big move here came via trade. Alec Ogletree may be an expensive option ($10 million this season), but he gives the Giants the kind of middle linebacker they haven’t had since Antonio Pierce. General manager Dave Gettleman said Ogletree will be the quarterback of the defense. The Giants also signed outside linebacker Kareem Martin, who is familiar with Bettcher’s defense and a young ascending player. Ogletree and Martin in place of Devon Kennard (signed with Lions) and Jonathan Casillas is a win for the Giants.

Cornerbacks – Worse
The Giants cut Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and his large $8.5 million cap number. Ross Cockrell, who played well as a fill-in starter last year, remains a free agent. The Giants added Curtis Riley and Teddy Williams, two depth/special-teams players. This is a clear downgrade, although it’s a position where they are likely not done yet.

Safety – Same
Landon Collins is the starter at strong safety. Darian Thompson and Andrew Adams are the options at free safety. Nat Berhe was allowed to walk. It’s mostly the same group as last year.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker, punter, long snapper -- Worse
They're worse, if only because they don't have a starting punter after cutting Brad Wing. Austin Rehkow, signed after the season to a futures deal, is the only punter on the roster. Look for them to add another from this year's draft crop. The argument could also be made they don't have a kicker. Aldrick Rosas struggled badly last year. Don't be surprised to see the Giants add a veteran later in free agency or this summer.

Giants are out west visiting Darnold/Rosen. Had dinner with Darnold past monday. GOOD as much as i want barkley they have to give hard look at these QBs and of course don't show your hand. If browns want barkley and Darnold? great trade up with giants and get them, if jets want one of their top 2 QBs, great trade up and get him, YOU TOO BRONCOS

If Darnold goes one giants should try to get 2 3rd round picks from jets and then pick barkley at 3.

many thought Browns should take barkley at 1 and QB at 4....can't see them doing that....if you rank 1-2 QBs better than the rest you can't be the team that misses out and settles for 3rd or 4th fav QB....

yea the more i read on him the more i'm liking him.....he talks with parcells....also didnt realize how young he is.....he can sit a year or 2 and take over at 22 or 23

I'm really not a fan of Darnold. He seems like a good person, has a pretty good arm and can throw on the move, but I watched him a lot this year and I'm really confused by why he's supposed to be a special player. He reminds me a lot of Dak, and I don't mean that in a good way. He stands a little in the pocket too long and seems to wait for guys to get open until the play fails. Every announcer goes crazy bc he can make strong throws on the move, but he's pretty bad inside the pocket, at least this year. Maybe its bc they lost Juju and some lineman, but I kept hoping to see something from him and he was surprisingly unimpressive.

Rosen to me seemed to be the guy who could make all the throws, make quick decisions, lead receivers and deliver really good balls downfield w/ accuracy. He just throws caution to the wind at times, kind of like Eli, but unlike Eli he's missed a good amount of games due to injury, and it seems like a lot of teammates consider him to be unlikeable. Which is kind of worrying.

I really have no idea what I want the Giants to do. Part of me thinks, if Barkley is there, how can you not take him. But part of me also thinks that a rotation of decent RBs (which in cap terms, would not cost much, and in asset terms, is easy to acquire) is better than one superstar (which would mean us giving up having a $5m qb/de/cb/ot for a few years). But is a better Dak, or a young Eli with poor intangibles and an injury history better than a RB who really looks like he could be a HoFer?

I'm also all for trading back, bc we still need starters at RG, RT, CB and WR, as well as rotation DEs and LBs. If we could get 4 top 60 picks from the Bills and get at least 1 legit offensive lineman, a pass rusher, a CB, and a RB/WR/LB while Webb develops and Eli finishes out these last 2 years, I'd probably be happy with that. And as a fan, I really hope Eli gets a chance at one more run after Reese failed to build a line that started falling apart after 2011. I guess I probably want:
1) Bills trade-back
2) Barkley
3) Rosen

^thing about Darnold take into account talent around him and his age. standing in pocket too long and waiting for someone to get open sounds like he doesnt have draftable players around him.....will he have a WR drafted in draft? hes a 20 year old QB who just played a season with what kind of talent? for him to even be considered for #1 says a lot about his talent level. i don't think browns are passing on him.....

i'd be down to trade with bills if we get their their 1st round picks, 2nd, 3rd, 1st round next year. that 1st round next year could be top 5.....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/m...osh-allen-broncos-trade-browns-baker-mayfield
with our 2 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders we can walk away with CB RT RG RB......

however, Barkley i don't want to be the team that passes on him...hes legit only injury stops him

don't think GM passes on a player if he thinks they are a sure thing. getting tons of picks and only one player pans out and you passed on stud RB just pack your bags and go to retirement

1. darnold browns
2. barkley giants
3. rosen jets
4. Allen - bills
yup browns see giants draft barkley they will then trade with bills and add more picks

Last edited:
Don’t want any of these QBs. Trade the pick or draft Saquon.

I don’t understand why we cut DRC, he’s good and we need CB help.

I really don’t understand the Stewart singing. I think both the RBs we have are better than him and they’re cheaper than him. That was a real dumb move. Basically gave him DRC’s money, smh

Brad Wing was terrible, happy I don’t have to see that bozo

jrp44 jrp44 update the thread title

yea Stewart signing has me lost and that LB we got from cards as well. 5 mil a year??!!! WOW i didnt even notice that.....and jerry they redo his contract, keep Marshall so far? and harris?! i'm lost.....giants should have cut THOSE dudes and signed Pugh(decent contract) and kept DRC.... Now they have to draft guard in round 2.

Last edited:
Man I love JPP but it freed up 19.5 in 2019 and 17.5 in 2020. Pretty huge with Odell and Collins contracts coming up.

Yeah, I hope this means we're looking to keep Odell but I will miss JPP.

I'm still torn on what I want us to do in the draft.

this trade only freed us of $2.5m this season right? don’t we still have to pay prorated bonus of $5m each of the next 2 yrs, the same as if we cut him next yr?

So basically the team was saying having JPP for a year was worth less than a 3rd round pick (and we downgraded our 4th) and 2.5m of cap space.

Not sure what we had to lose by just letting him play this season. Had he absolutely sucked, and i don’t think he would if he had competent coaches who didn’t play him like 70/72 snaps every wk, the very worst we would’ve lost out on was a 3rd rder if we cut him next yr.

I’m a little confused by paying ogletree $10m/ and getting rid of drc and jpp for a combined $9m. And all we got in return is we upgraded a comp 4th to a 3rd. Top corners and DEs get 5-6m/yr more than inside lbs, so the money makes no sense at all, and talent wise i wouldn’t take ogletree over either player, let alone both.

I'm definitely in the minority but I kinda like the moves were making. Looking forward to draft night

i'm not happy with the moves...i don't think giants made this move for chubb...
shame i really think JPP would have been a great LB that rushes 95% of the time....his speed and coming from anywhere with running start would have helped with his lack of fingers.
we could have saved cap room for 19 by cutting him end of this season so saving 2.5M this year is not much of a gain....

it seemed like they were all in this year with eli and talent on roster to see if we can make a run....great we upgrade at LT, but lose pugh?, we upgrade at LB(maybe) but lose DRC and JPP??? seems like a GM wanting to clean up a mess by telling ownership id never have signed this guy.
for me the D didnt need much. a lot of new faces on both sides of the ball.

getting rid of JPP could be a giants leaning towards getting QB and if thats the case they would likley cut eli next off season and no eli no jpp use that money to resign guys and get guys to build around the young QB

i think this is GM/Coaches thinking we need to change culture by getting rid of as many players we can...

i'm lost and mad that our oline is not where i thought it would be. all the money spent on below avg players could have been used on pugh

Last edited:
Mara why say anything?!
I love it Mara, not happy that OBJ maybe smoking pot hanging with a girl doing coke....bad bad bad......BUT WAIT.....YOU SIGNED....JOSH BROWN......so that was ok when you thought no one would find out, when YOU thought what he was said to have done was not going to get uncovered.....FUNNY.....you look the other way for a wife beater but OBJ has ONE off field issue is a problem for you, THAT ISSUE?? you think a reporter will ask Mara hey mara which was worse what OBJ did in a hotel room in paris or josh brown in NJ?

granted i'm a little fed up with OBJ, i do feel that he may be a ticking time bomb for an off or on the field issue. BUT they can't just give him away. Unless we get blown away he should be on this team at least 3 more seasons. Someone needs to explain to his agent that we can franchise him same way bell has been kirk was and many others. And another thing his agent needs to explain to him, dude you got hurt last season, and noooo not last game of the year you missed 11 games.....dudes missing 11 games dont get a new contract....look at past 5 WR deals that set market......i'm gonna guess they got their money off pro bowl seasons......you want a new contract? great give us a discount or wait till next year

i think giants would draft barkley but i'm worried about them loving one of these QBs, hope its not Allen or Rosen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom