NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

Complete domination tonight, hope Pelf is up to the task tomm.

Sucks Franc is day to day though, knowing him he'll miss a single game.

On a side note, this Phils pen is probably just as awful as the Orioles pen.

Good way to start this series. Let's go Mets!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Draft coming up soon and we have the 7th pick, so hopefully one of the top 5 prospects will be available at 7.

Getting a good quality college pitcher is a must.

Sunday's matchup is very favorable, lets try to steal this game today.
pimp.gif

back050110.jpg

[h2]Buzz: Jeff Francoeur Is In Today’s Lineup[/h2]
May 1, 2010 at 11:51 am · 20 comments

by Michael Baron

Jeff Francoeur will be in today’s lineup, and hit seventh.

…what a gamer…i love his attitude and determination…the fact he is in today’s lineup pumps me up even more for today’s game…

…take it to them, boys…

Original Post, 10:27 am:

Last night, during the second inning of the Mets 9-1 victory over the Phillies, Jeff Francoeur bruised his knee making a running catch in right field, and was also hit in the forearm by Danys Baez in the seventh inning, and ultimately came around to score on a Rod Barajas RBI double.

Francoeur went 1 for 2 at the plate, with a home run, two runs scored, and an RBI.

According to Marty Noble of MLB.com, Francoeur will likely get the afternoon off against Roy Halladay.

…it’s a well deserved day off for Frenchy…ice up, and get ready for tomorrow night…

…he was spectacular last night…he’s a gamer, and his attitude and determination are intangibles which i just don’t see too much of around the league anymore…he has been everything i could have possibly expected from him, and more since the Mets acquired him last summer…he is impatient at the plate for sure, but that’s his game, and so far he’s been successful with this approach as a Met…i love his attitude, and that he’s a ‘win at all costs’ guy, and it just seemed the Mets were lacking that sort of spunk up until his arrival last year…i thought Ryan Church was a good defensive player, but he had problems staying on the field and he just seemed to lack that smile and positive attitude Francoeur has, and from what i have seen and heard, i think that has been a contributing factor in this team coming together…

[h2]Buzz: Carlos Beltran Hopes to Begin Running This Week[/h2]
May 1, 2010 at 11:08 am · 52 comments

by Michael Baron

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Beltran hopes to begin running this week.

…interesting…if he begins running this week, it puts his return at about June 15, barring any setbacks or delays…i don’t want to get my hopes up in fear of being disappointed in the end of this, but if Heyman is correct, this is certainly good news…

Original Post, 8:47 am:

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets are unsure if Carlos Beltran will be back by the All Star Break.

…i think it’s safe to say at this point that whatever the Mets get out of Beltran this season would be a bonus…this whole thing, dating back to a year ago, has been a disaster to say the least…i hope he comes back sooner rather than later, but i think any sort of expectation for this year might be unrealistic at this point…

Last week, the Mets announced that Beltran still had not been cleared for baseball activities after his visit with doctors in Colorado a few days earlier and on Thursday, Andy Martino of the Daily News said the Mets fitted Beltran with a new knee brace with hopes it helps to accelerate his rehabilitation.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Nobody will want that contract and besides there is only a year and a half left on it.

IMO we just need a RELIABLE guy who can replace either Maine or Ollie, but we have to see how they pan out over the next month or so.

When TRON does come back, you know how good this lineup will be esp @ Citi Field?
sick.gif
Man if the Mets played at CBP Wright would have 40 HR's a season as opposed to 40 doubles at Citi, its sad seeing home runs at the corners and it says 329ft (or Yankee stadium being 318ft).
laugh.gif
eyes.gif
Don't get me wrong I love Citi Field and the whole pitchers park ordeal, but Citi is too damn big the wall needs to come in more (Shea's dimensions were perfect).

In other news FMart came back from missing a week and went 1 for 4. He started off cold and went on a tear before missing the week, so hope he picks it up again. I like Pagan but would you think FMart would be able to offer more if he played in the Majors? I wouldn't seeing a few weeks of FMart before TRON comes, but Pagan does well at CITI defensively.

Problem with FMart is he just can't seem to stay healthy, there's always some minor injury that puts him out when he's playing well. He's still really young, so hopefully he'll get through it but I don't know how you can count on him yet.

I'll believe Beltran coming back when I see it. You're right though, if he's anywhere near himself, the lineup is nasty. I guess the order could be switched around but: Reyes, Castillo, Beltran, Bay, Wright, Francoeur, Davis, Barajas/Blanco.

I haven't given up on F-Mart yet.. Right now, we don't need F-Mart.. We need him in the future. I hope he finds a way to beat his injury prone.

Lately though they have been relatively minor issues, remember Reyes used to get hurt all the damn time and now he's been a regular every year (with the exception of last season). Kid is too talented and has power.

Rosenthal's stories are always riveting.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

How Pelfrey bounces back his next start will tell us where his career truly is at.
He is a number 3, or 4 starter to me still.  A damn good one, but this start was pretty damn lucky.

Good write up on Pelf's start before this game:

If you look past Pelfrey's ERA to his underlyingnumbers, you'll blanch. He's walking an alarming 4.5 batters per nineinnings, allowing a silly .249 batting average on balls in play thatwould have led the majors last year, and hasn't given up a single homerun despite allowing more fly balls than he ever has. Those latter twonumbers are almost entirely attributable to luck, which is why if hepitches just as well as he has the rest of the year his ERA will riseby a lot -- no great deduction, given that he's currently at 0.69.

Allthat being true, there is reason to think that this is the beginning ofa career year. Pelfrey has struck out 5.24 men per nine in his career,an almost alarmingly low total. The only right-handed starters who canget away with a K-rate that low are, like Pelfrey, sinkerballers: Joe Blanton, Scott Erickson, Jon Garland and Joe Mayscome to mind as recent examples. Each of these pitchers had a year inhis 20s when his sinker was especially heavy and the hits just didn'tfall in all that often.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...4/29/april.surprises/index.html#ixzz0miICN800
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

You can definitely move Beltran but you might have to eat some money and or take back a bigger contract. Someone like Roy Oswalt would be nice or maybe to Boston for Mike Cameron and Matsuzaka. Or how about this trade between the two NY teams: Javier Vasquez for Oliver Perez?

Who cares about the walks if he got out of trouble? Last season the minute he pitched from the stretch he tried to be too perfect cause the team was lousy, he has confidence no matter what.

if Reyes and Cora make those two plays in the 4th Pelfrey would've continue to cruise along, you give the Phillies 5 outs in an inning and you'll get bitten. IDK how you can say he's a 3 or 4 starter and wait to say it till AFTER a loss, but whatever.

Santana/Moyer tom night, very favorable. A win today would've been a steal.

Originally Posted by queensfinest2002

Who cares about the walks if he got out of trouble? Last season the minute he pitched from the stretch he tried to be too perfect cause the team was lousy, he has confidence no matter what.

if Reyes and Cora make those two plays in the 4th Pelfrey would've continue to cruise along, you give the Phillies 5 outs in an inning and you'll get bitten. IDK how you can say he's a 3 or 4 starter and wait to say it till AFTER a loss, but whatever.

Santana/Moyer tom night, very favorable. A win today would've been a steal.
I would have said that before the game..He just doesn't have the stuff to me of a top-line second starter.  He doesn't really have an out pitch which you need to have if you want to be in that category.  And everything went right for him in the his early starts, most of the time that doesn't happen.   This team is where its at cause of how phenomenally the bullpen has been so far this year...We can't rely on them the whole way though, if we could somehow get somebody either to slide between Santana and Pelfrey I think this team can contend for a title.  Niese has really impressed me.

What a beat down in one inning
sick.gif
sick.gif
I really hope the Mets can take the series at least. 

I like Big Pelf a lot, and I would be much more comfortable with him as our number 3 starter. I think he's got the potential to win 15-18 games consistently, but would I want him as my borderline number 1 (which most people would say about the great numbers 2s), no. Keep Pelf as a number 3 so he isn't under the same pressure to deliver as Santana.

And keep Javier Vasquez far, far away from Queens. The guy doesn't have the make up to pitch in NY.

And keep Javier Vasquez far, far away from Queens. The guy doesn't have the make up to pitch in NY.
Put him back in the NL and he'd get his numbers again. I feel he'd actually do well with the Mets.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Put him back in the NL and he'd get his numbers again. I feel he'd actually do well with the Mets.
Agreed, although I don't know if the Yankees would exactly want to trade him for Ollie
laugh.gif

Pelf's splitter is disgusting and with that new cutter, he has really moved up to the next level.

Just a bad inning which he should've been out of, but that's baseball.

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Agreed, although I don't know if the Yankees would exactly want to trade him for Ollie
laugh.gif
Nah, he was actually pretty decent with the White Sox, so I don't buy that AL bs all that much. He doesn't have what it takes to be a pitcher in NY.

If Pelf has a big start his next outing then we'll know he turned the corner. Having said that, I expect him to do well.

Back
Top Bottom