Nice Air Jordan read on Yahoo...

pimp.gif

posting to read later....

Interesting article. I read once that Nike included a stipulation in Jordan's contract that if they didn't sell at least $3 million worth of Jordanproducts in the first 3 years that they could drop him. Well they ended up selling over $30 million in the first year alone. The rest is history.

The most interesting thing to me out of the whole situation is the guy that made the correct call in all these situations had no business education.  All he had and relied on was pure instinct, critical thinking/analysis and common sense, yet he made better business decisions than highly educated "top tier business experts".  This is why I have to shake my head when Americans think they're geniuses, or experts on something just because they have a degree in the field.  Anyone can go to school, memorize facts and figures, regurgitate them on a test and get a degree for doing so.  That does NOT automatically make you qualified for a field, or translate to being able to apply those things in real life situations.

Originally Posted by NikeAirCobraBen

where would Nike be without MJ?
Likewise, where would MJ be without Nike?  Sure, he'd most likely still be the greatest basketball player of all time, but would his impact on American society have been nearly as great if he didn't become such a huge marketing icon?  Basketball alone wouldn't have made him a household name.  Everyone and their mother (literally) knew who MJ was.  Compare that to Kobe today.  Yes, he's popular with NBA fans, but he is no where near the global icon Michael was.

For that reason, as thankful as Nike should be to MJ for their success, MJ also owes just as much gratitude to Nike.  After all, if it wasn't for Nike taking a HUGE, huge gamble on an unknown player who would end up being the 3rd pick in the draft, and based entirely on the recommendation of someone with no business education, MJ wouldn't be nearly as rich today as he is, nor would he be an American icon with a massive impact on American culture.  He would be just another really, really good basketball player that only NBA fans would give a damn about.

Back
Top Bottom